PDA

View Full Version : Reinhart chip installed!

Logan
07-20-2002, 10:33 AM
...short and sweet, with more info to come later today.

I installed a 4 bank Reinhart chip in my Marauder this morning, let me tell you, my a$$jet dynometer says.... WOW!

What a difference!! I'm extremely impressed.

I'll do a full write-up along with a fully documented installation with pictures later today and post it up!

...In the mean time, I just gotta go tear up the streets!

Jim
07-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Cool.

Don't suppose you have a G-Tech, or anything like that, do you? I've tried to make a few 'runs' with my Tazzo computer thing today, and so far, I'm either not good at driving the car, or it really is as barge-like as it feels from a dead stop.

In short, the only way I can pull off a sub 9 sec. 0-60 is with some tire spin off the line...

60 ft times are consistently 2.4 sec.

This with my bone-stock Marauder, scheduled for the dyno on Tuesday.

-Jim

Logan
07-20-2002, 11:58 AM
I don't have a GTECH, but, there are enough drag strips around here that I'll go pull some times off this week...

JT03
07-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Logan
...short and sweet, with more info to come later today.

I installed a 4 bank Reinhart chip in my Marauder this morning, let me tell you, my a$$jet dynometer says.... WOW!

What a difference!! I'm extremely impressed.

I'll do a full write-up along with a fully documented installation with pictures later today and post it up!

...In the mean time, I just gotta go tear up the streets!

Got my chip today. Waiting on your installation instructions so I can tear up the streets. I'll be waiting. Thank you.

Fourth Horseman
07-20-2002, 02:24 PM
Did you get the chip specifically set up for your 4.10 gears, or is that not a factor? Wouldn't shift points need to be adjusted based on RAR?

Really looking forward to pics and installation notes since I have absolutely no idea where these things plug in.

Dennis Reinhart
07-20-2002, 02:48 PM
I sent Logan three chips one I had sent another customer who installed and said it did not work, that chip is the peak performance chip I sent another with less timing and I sent a 1 bank chip with a milder program and all three worked with noticeable gains so the first chip, was installed on dirty contacts it is very important to clean both side of the terminal board with the supplied scotch bright pad and wipe the board off supplied alcohol swab. Now since the speed comes off the ABS sensors we figured no Speedo would be needed, we were wrong Logans is 7 MPH off I have those corrections I will send him a corrected chip Monday.

Logan
07-20-2002, 03:32 PM
To add to what Dennis said, my dealer was surprised my speedo was off and wants the car back this week to find out why it's out, because they're insisting it should be bang on, just like the other car they've already done.

No worries, it'll all get figured out. :)

In the mean time, there's no harm for Dennis to override the gear ratio via the chip, so that's what he's going to do for me.

Dennis Reinhart
07-20-2002, 03:44 PM
I agree it should not be out and I will have the technical expalnation for this the first of next week.

Dennis

SSMOKEM
07-20-2002, 06:16 PM
Hey Logan,

Nice to see you getting into the tech apects of this new car :) I'm following this with great interest and I'm rooting for you.

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to mention I have a program called Datamaster, written for the GM PCM, OBD1 for now, and I use it with a laptop to generate all the parameters put out by the car's computer, with a refresh rate 9 times/second.

It does a dyno simulation based on your speed, time and distance covered and it's very accurate. I just wonder if something similar is available for the Ford ECM?

I also have the ScanMaster, which is hooked to the PCM output under the dash, and has an LED readout of 25 different paramaters in real time, while you drive, so you can watch things like O2 readings, fuel trims, air intake temps, MAF grams/second air input, etc. I find it extremely useful.

On top of that, I also have the MAF Translator, which allows you to change fuel trims with a twist of a knob. I'm able to go from 850mv to 950mv at WOT (13 to 1 down to 10 to 1 air/fuel ratio). Very handy at the track :)

When it's time to reprogram the PCM, I get the file via EMail and download it into the car with my laptop.

Fourth Horseman
07-20-2002, 08:59 PM
Nice job on the tutorial. Doesn't seem too tough to do.

Please let us know when you Dennis figure out why the speedometer was off.

Logan
07-21-2002, 07:59 AM
SSMOKEM,

The best ODB tool I've seen and played with is the Auto Tap. It's inexpensive and gives you access to hundreds of ford specific ODB codes and fields.

Very nice unit...

http://www.autotap.com/

Gaylon Harwell
07-25-2002, 08:46 AM
[I hope I don't sound like a weenie for asking this...but...]
Are there any issues with the warranty if you install the chip? I believe I saw a post where Dennis stated there were none...but I'd still like to make sure before I buy & install one.
...Gaylon

Logan
07-25-2002, 09:15 AM
Not unless the chip is directly responsible for the failure of the engine.

I've been running chips for years in my Lightnings and Mustangs and had them all in for warranty work with never a word said. The biggest thing is to remove the chip before taking it in.

mensrea
07-25-2002, 10:31 AM
Has anyone heard back from Mercury regarding why the speedo error?

Dennis Reinhart
07-25-2002, 10:43 AM
No I am waiting on them now its really not a issue since I can corect it with a chip

MarauderMike
07-26-2002, 06:08 PM
Just installed my plugs and chip, I'll have to do the t-stat tomorrow. Just for info, took less then an hour for plugs, and about an hour to do the chip install at a leisurely pace. I talked to Dennis and he informed me the gap should be .054, stock is .052 to.056. good luck all!:D

WMITCHELL4
07-30-2002, 03:38 PM
I got my chip from Mr Reinhart! It was a super improvement! In my 28 years running a body shop I have not had better service from anyone.
The personal attention was great! No one in Austin Tex had 180 themostat so I called Mr Reinhart one afternoon and ordered one, and belive it or not UPS delivered one the next morning!!! WOW!!!

mensrea
07-31-2002, 06:12 PM
OK, I just dropped my car off for the mods. I have to admit I am excited.... in fact I haven't been this excited since Christmas. I am thrilled to own a four door car that begs to be modified. The 300M sure didn't ask for it. I can't wait!

MarauderMike
07-31-2002, 06:26 PM
You won't be disappointed!:D :p

Wags
08-01-2002, 08:18 AM
mensrea,

Let me know when you get you car back. I'd like to go for a ride with you to see (and feel) the improvement! I'll show you the alarm/starter that I had put in mine also.

Pete

JT03
08-01-2002, 05:59 PM
Can I hook em up with you. Were almost neighbors?!! :)

mensrea
08-02-2002, 10:18 PM
OK, I got the car back, had to take it in and get XM radio, and a remote starter/alarm installed. The gears and chip make a huge difference. My mechanic couldn't believe the difference the chip made. They had just done a 97 vette and didn't get the same level of before and after. Whatever Dennis is doing works. The gears are a blast, I can slide it in the corners! I would totally suggest gears and chip.

Now Wags... let me know where you're going to be tomorrow night, you gotta try this!

Anyone else have XM radio, I love it...

Logan
08-03-2002, 07:00 AM
:)