PDA

View Full Version : exhaust pipe resonator

NOTMYBOAT
11-30-2003, 04:28 PM
hey, i was wondering if it is possible to take out the resonator that is in the exhaust pipe or do i have to just order new pipes?

clark

RF Overlord
11-30-2003, 04:32 PM
The resonator in the tailpipe tips is not easily removable...just contact Wes at www.innovativeinterceptors.com for a new set without the baffles, from the original manufacturer (Megs).

Oh yeah...where are my manners?

Welcome to the board... :D

gonzo50
11-30-2003, 04:34 PM
Hey NOTMYBOAT, It's better to replace the tips, talk to Wes from this site, he's also a vendor here:

http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com/

SergntMac
11-30-2003, 04:43 PM
You can rebuild the Megs tips, but it's CHEAPER to replace them.

Call Wes, K?

Oh yeah...Howdy to y'all...

jgc61sr2002
11-30-2003, 04:48 PM
NOTMYBOAT - Welcome to the MM site. Nice folks and good info. I see you already have the answer to your question.:D

LincMercLover
11-30-2003, 05:41 PM
OK, just a thought here... But, I know some of the SLP, Borla, etc... "loud mouth" cat-back kits run just a resonator, no mufflers. What if someone were to simply remove the mufflers, weld in straight pipe, and call it a day? I'm tempted to do this, but... I don't wanna sound like a Mack truck either...

SergntMac
11-30-2003, 06:00 PM
I tried this myself, Rick, for about two weeks about a year ago.

I wasn't pleased, but hey, please try it. It may work for you.

Again, we're talking about "sound" and we all have different ears...

joflewbyu2
11-30-2003, 06:31 PM
I did the straight pipe for about 2 weeks. I thought I would get a deep mean exhaust note. What I got is LOUD and resonance during certain RPMs. I decided to do the Borla cat back system for the 99-02 CV. When I received the system it was about 3" too long between the flange and mufflers. luckily there was a 2 foot section of straight pipe before the mufflers, so I cut them in half and expanded the rear section to make a slip fit. Bought 2 more borla stainless steel 2.25" band clamps and all the 99-02 exhaust hangers from FMC and the system fit great. see pics in the gallery. Anyway, now I got DEEP, SMOOTH, TAMED exhaust note. same loudness as stock but deeper tone. system is full 2.25". Stock is 2" between flange and the exit of mufflers where the pipes after the muffler are 2.25".

67435animal
12-01-2003, 06:48 AM
I have the Megs non resonator tips installed and they sound just a bit louder than stock...just enough to please me. I bought them from Wes Chain who sent them to me within a day of my having ordered them.

Bob

CRUZTAKER
12-01-2003, 07:08 AM
Welcome...I got mine from Wes as well.

Ross
12-01-2003, 08:10 AM
Welocome to the site, NOTMYBOAT. Where do you live?

NOTMYBOAT
12-01-2003, 01:06 PM
thanks for the help. also... if anyone has bought those meg tips without the resonator, how much louder does it get? i have a magnaflow exhaust on it already. im thinking about changing them to borla's though. any recommendations?

clark

Marauderman
12-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac

Oh yeah...Howdy to y'all...

Hey Mac! Did the trip to Altlanta ( " Howdy to Y'all" ) kinda change you into our slang??? :lol:

Marauderman
12-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by NOTMYBOAT
thanks for the help. also... if anyone has bought those meg tips without the resonator, how much louder does it get? i have a magnaflow exhaust on it already. im thinking about changing them to borla's though. any recommendations?

clark
My Turn: Buy the tips first from Wes as mentioned already - after install --let the new sound then help you decide the next move , if any--- It's best to do/take one move at a time first --see how it works out and then go from there--

I say that after the install you'll probably do nothing for awhile cause the new sound is so nice---at least for awhile-