PDA

View Full Version : What this board means to me..

cyclone03
11-18-2002, 04:26 PM
I've been on several,and still am,deferent boards and I see all of them as a bunch of guy's & gals hanging around in the garage "hanging out".
Sometimes somebody will bash another or their car or their taste in women or men or whatever.Maybe somebody or a small group gets mad,they may leave but they come back.
If somebody comes in and states they like one type of car and some of the others don't like it he's going to get a little bit of flack.
Comments anybody?

JohnnyB
11-18-2002, 04:33 PM
Everyone is entitled to express his or her opinion as long as they do so in a civilized manner. I think bashing someone's car is in poor taste.. Does it really matter if the next guy's Impala SS has more low end power than my MM, or if I can take him in the 1/4 mile...
we're on this board because we like cars and own the 2003 MM......

LincMercLover
11-18-2002, 04:51 PM
I agree. I was going to say a whole lot more on the other thread, but found out it was locked and lost it all! Damn the luck... Oh well, in sum, I just think Ford is on the right track with bringing back TRUE nastalgia pieces, and I wouldn't doubt the three origanal American Muscle makers (Ford/Chevy/Chrysler) will eventually have made a totaly comeback of all the muscle cars we love. Just takes time and money (good economy would help too!).

And here, I thought I was bad! :D

Logan
11-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Polzei703 was banned for violation of Site usage policies.

Everyone is entitled to express his or her opinion as long as they do so in a civilized manner.

Well said Johnny, That's my mantra for running the site.

Anyone who doesn't agree, can ready the site disclaimer's and usage policies and take a hike.

JAL
11-18-2002, 05:20 PM
I gotta echo the other posts. We're here because we love cars. I don't own a MM, I own a Impala SS. But, I like the MM and I'm really curious to see how the owners like them, problems they have and racing.

For us SS owners, we're over on www.impalassforum.com and we see each other's posts everyday. There are over 4000 people on that site. But you see the regulars and become kind of like "buddies" with those people. The same thing is starting here, which I think is fantastic.

For us, the forums like this were non-exisistent when our cars came out. It took until 2000 for an Impala forum to appear. The more info conveyed within these pages benefits everyone.

Sure, you're going to have little flame wars and heated debates, but that's just like kicking back at the car show with your friends.

If another guy buys another brand of car, no one should be beating on him. There was a very heated debate on our main forum about Caprices versus the Impala SS. It was so ridiculous. The way I see it is, the only person that should care is the guy paying the note that sits in the left seat driving it.

I hope to spend many hours here learning about your cars and exchanging info about cars.

Jeff

tinian_1
11-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Sorry to have intiated such an, um, enthusiastic response with my previous post. I'm going to keep lurking on this board becasue I really want Mercury to get the Marauder formula straight. I just hope my decision not to purchase the car, along with others, does not play a role in teh cancellation of the model itself :(

As far as posting, I have participated in a number of forums concerning various subjects. The problem that seems to crop up is that a group of regulars seems to develop, and that group starts attacking people for posting topics that have been discussed before, or posting a viewpoint that runs contrary to the prevailing opinion.

New people are always going to show up, and they are always going to bring up subjects that have been debated ad nauseum in the past. But to them its all new. They'll also post opinions regarding cars they like and such. The best advice I ever gave is, if the post is something you hate or something youve participated in before, dont reply to it. Let those who are interested participate in it.

And if anyone is still interested in debating the merits of the MM cersus the g35, or any of the other cars I looked at, I can provide some great feedback, as I spent MONTHS looking and driving em all.

EDIT: I wasn't implying that I was attacked by a group on the other topic on this forum. Far from it, most of the regulars understood the topic and contributed to a civil discussion. There were only a couple of issues that arose. I just didn't want anyone who read this to think that my above discussion about forum issues applied to this particular forum.

tinian_1
11-18-2002, 06:43 PM
Double post. Oops!

Smokie
11-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Now that you own a japanese car, what can this Marauder forum do for you? Do you believe that those that come to this forum are looking for information on foreign cars?

Logan
11-18-2002, 08:17 PM
tinian,

You've nothing to apologize for at all.

You didn't deserve the comments that got posted by a newbie, and as such I dealt with them.

I found your thread interesting from the perspective of someone else who tends to make a list as it were...

Though I'm strictly a Ford brand man, I still run it all through in my head... Which must not work cause I've been through 3 new vehicles this year alone trying to find the "right" one...

Anyway, you're welcome to hang with us... :)

People don't have to agree, but they do have to behave themselves when expressing themselves. Forums are just like driving cars down the street, people are a lot braver than they would be if they were standing in front of you...

cyclone03
11-18-2002, 09:09 PM
Tinian,
as Logan said you have no need to apologize.

If I got too close to "the Line" I'm sorry.

tinian_1
11-18-2002, 09:11 PM
I wasn't actually going to post anything soley concerning the G35. What I was getting at was that I am still interested in purchsing the Marauder, though only if they correct certain issues that I (and Im speaking strickly about myself here) have with the vehicle in its current incarnation. Therefore, I will continue frequenting this forum, and possibly posting when I have a question.

I recently, after evaluating many cars (MM among them) decided to go with the Infinity product. The MM actually made my top 3 list. All I was saying is that if anyone wanted to hear any of my observations of there relative merits and deficiencies of these vehicle versus the MM, I'd be happy ot share it.

Why would someone want to hear this stuff? Could be a variety of reasons, from "know thy enemy" to providing help to a buyer who is going through the same process I went through. And perhaps, if some intelligent ford executive is actually lurking on the forum, maybe provide some feedback that will improve the product down the road.

Logan, I'd like to thank you for your support. I appreciate it. If I had no kids, I woulda bought a Lightning. There's one Ford product no one can touch.

And, for the record, I'd like to note that the days when you could label a car as being "American" or "Japenese" are long gone. Nissan (and therefore Infinity) are owned by Renault, I believe. Chrysler is essentially a division of Daimler-Benz. Mazda is owned in large part by Ford, and uses many of their parts. And cars and parts are assembled all over the place. The lines have blurred.

Logan
11-18-2002, 09:29 PM
If marauder had another 75-100hp and 75-100ft lbs of torque, it'd be a no brainer... :)

cyclone03
11-18-2002, 09:31 PM
Logan that's true for just about every car/truck on the road.

LincMercLover
11-18-2002, 09:44 PM
If the MM had another 75-100HP stock we'd all be looking at another couple grand in the MSRP, a possible SVT tag, and a heafty insurance hike. I was SO hoping my insurance would be stupid and deam it a GM, but I got the good ol' claim update stating I added a Performance H group vehicle to my plan. I was like, "Well SOB..." Case and point, the MM is an impressive performer out of the box that only gets better with time, but still presents many opprotunities for upgrades. It truely calls back to the old times of TRUE muscle cars that had mass behind them and left us in the garage nights on end trying to pull every last pony out of the motor for our saturday night cruises; only difference is we pull our ponies in a little different ways than way back then.

tinian_1
11-18-2002, 10:01 PM
Another 100 hp and ft/lbs, and Im buying it, insurance be damned. I'd gladly pay 2k extra, since itd be a factory thing, under warranty and everything.

JAL
11-25-2002, 07:23 PM
Now that you own a japanese car, what can this Marauder forum do for you? Do you believe that those that come to this forum are looking for information on foreign cars?

Now that you have a Marauder what can you offer this forum?

I don't own a MM, yet I'm here offering my own knowledge and gaining yours.

Jeff

Bigdogjim
11-26-2002, 12:41 AM
Some times we all get carried away. Passion can be a good thing! But as said before we need to keep a lid on it! I still can not belive that Mercury (Ford) fell short of the mark they aim for! Remember 3-4 years is a long time to hold on for a car of your "dreams" We all buy for differant reasons! I my case I wound up with 2 pickups! When Mercury finally released the MM I unloaded my '01. Hated to part with it but I had a '70 Marauder and grew up with nothing but big Merc! I must admit it though it took some guts to post the reasons for getting the Infinity over the MM . That is one real reason for me to be at this site. Is not only share but to learn!
Great job to ALL!
Big Dog Jim

Logan
11-26-2002, 06:12 AM
JAL, come on man, give it a rest, he's got as much right to visit and enjoy this site as anyone else does.

If you want to continue giving him a hard time, take it offline.