PDA

View Full Version : Wanted To Buy Looking to buy 2003/2004 Mercury Marauder Oregon/Washington.

FF1077
07-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Hello.
For the next 60 days I am going to do the research to buy a Marauder. I looked into them a few years ago but didn’t do a lot of in depth research. I just know this will be the car that replaces the 1985 SVO that I sold a few years ago.

So for the next 60 days I am going to do the research, look at what’s for sale and when I am done I will look for one to buy. I don’t have a problem waiting till the right one comes along.

Color isnt important, black would be nice though. I would like heated seats and a moon roof, but it’s not a deal breaker. Car has to be low mileage (under 60K), damage free, and in good condition inside and out. If the car has been smoked in, I will have to pass.
I live in Portland Oregon and want to find one within Oregon or Washington.
I would travel to Nevada, Idaho, Montana, or California if the car and the deal were right.
I will be paying with cash, no financing or third party’s to deal with, so title will need to be available at the time of sale.

Just so you know, I am way over the age of 18 (39) and I don’t need to get anyone’s permission prior to buying anything. No wife, No bank.
I’m only kicking tires till I find the right one.

So if you have one that you are looking to sell, or know someone who does please send them my way. I am going to want tons of detailed photos and video if possible before I make any long distance treks.
Also if anyone has any advice about buying/owning a MM, feel free to educate me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks and I look forward to joining all the other Marauder Owners.

Mike Priest
08-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Would you consider a Black '03 in central Ohio? I am the 2nd owner and if it matters to you, I had to make the choice between buying "this" Marauder or an 03' Explorer that was on the dealers showroom floor at the same time, I bought the Explorer. I never forgot the car and when I retired in 2007 I asked the dealer if he would negotiate a purchase from the original owner for me and he did. The original owner put 1607 miles on it in the first four years and I have put around 5000 miles on it since. It has never been smoked in or driven in rain or snow. It has been kept in a heated garage and never been left out in the sun other than while being driven. With less that 6600 miles on the odometer, it has all of the options including the trunk organizer, 6-CD player, both window stickers and owners manuals. The original owner kept the jacket.

Ms. Denmark
08-08-2010, 03:21 PM
What are you looking to get for it?:) Post up some pics showing inside and out if you can.

FF1077
08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Pics and a price would help.
Thanks.

Hadamustang1
08-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I live in seattle.. whats your price range?

FF1077
08-09-2010, 03:16 PM
That really depends on the car to be honest.
I'd pay more for a car with 50,000 miles compared to one with 80,000.
Do you have one you are looking to sell?

Mr. Man
08-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Would you consider a Black '03 in central Ohio? I am the 2nd owner and if it matters to you, I had to make the choice between buying "this" Marauder or an 03' Explorer that was on the dealers showroom floor at the same time, I bought the Explorer. I never forgot the car and when I retired in 2007 I asked the dealer if he would negotiate a purchase from the original owner for me and he did. The original owner put 1607 miles on it in the first four years and I have put around 5000 miles on it since. It has never been smoked in or driven in rain or snow. It has been kept in a heated garage and never been left out in the sun other than while being driven. With less that 6600 miles on the odometer, it has all of the options including the trunk organizer, 6-CD player, both window stickers and owners manuals. The original owner kept the jacket.
What asking price are you thinking about?

Jeronimojc
08-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Also if anyone has any advice about buying/owning a MM, feel free to educate me, I would appreciate it.

I wasn't sure if you bought your MM yet or not. I just went thru the research process (also in Or and Wa) and bought one just a week ago. I did most of my research using craiglook and autotrader. Craiglook is one of those websites that helps you search everything in craigslist but you are not limited by the city. It allows you to search by distance (up to 250 miles). On Autotrader, I saved a search and requested to be notified when Marauders came up for sale within 500 miles. I also used google alerts with a description such as "Mercury Marauder Oregon."

Good luck.

03sport007
08-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I live in Portland and have been looking for almost a year. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Which one did you get? Did you look at 03 in Marysville, Wa?

Jeronimojc
08-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I live in Portland and have been looking for almost a year. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Which one did you get? Did you look at 03 in Marysville, Wa?
I know what you mean, there appears to be fewer marauders in the NW. I did look at the MM in Marysville. I was planning on purchasing it but came across this black MM in Port Orchard and decided I black was it for me. However, the black one had sold the day before. Sounds familiar? The one I bought came from Spokane, Wa. I found it using craigslist. Good luck on your search.

FF1077
08-22-2010, 12:29 AM
I ended up buying a Black 04. Its exactly what I was looking for. I will be going to pick it up in the next two weeks or so, depending on my schedule.
There was black 04 in Gresham Oregon and it sold right after the ad came out.

The one in Port Orchard, was it the 9K mile car?
I see it isn't on autotrader anymore.
Thanks everyone.

Jeronimojc
08-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

Yes, that was a sweet MM. It was a 2004 with sunruf, chrome wheels, 8,700 miles in perfect condition. According to the dealer, the buyer is from New Mexico.

Post again with pics when you pick up your car.:beer:

Ms. Denmark
08-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I ended up buying a Black 04. Its exactly what I was looking for. I will be going to pick it up in the next two weeks or so, depending on my schedule.
There was black 04 in Gresham Oregon and it sold right after the ad came out.

Thanks everyone.That's great! Where did you find it? Does it have a sunroof?

FF1077
08-23-2010, 09:22 AM
No sunroof, but other than that it has the heated seats and 6 Disc changer. No spoiler and thats fine with me. I saw one on a Grand Marquis last week and didnt care for it. Its 100% stock and the seller is the original owner. The owner provided me with service records, and I did the Oasis Report as well as a Carfax. Everything checks out.

I've secured the car with a deposit and I will go and complete the deal in a couple of weeks. It’s frustrating because I want to get it NOW, but my schedule isnt going to allow that, and when it does its either Memorial Day Weekend or 9/11. If it’s not then, it’s October.

I will be sure to post a few pics when I get back with it.

Ms. Denmark
08-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Congratulations! I'm sure the waiting is not easy!;)

FF1077
08-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Never mind.
The ********* screwed me.
Someone came along and offered him more $ and he sold it to them.
I guess the meaning of "deposit" is different to him.
No way I would pay full price in advance for a car two states away unless I am shipping it or something similiar.

Some of the $ I spent on this is lost, but my deposit isnt.
Well unless he decides to keep it and at this point I dont know if I should believe him.

Boy I hope that extra $ he made helps, because he REALLY must need it.

Ms. Denmark
08-25-2010, 04:38 AM
So sorry to hear this :(.....but not surprised. Seems the first one in with the $$ "wins" on this one. It's very tricky to deal with someone you don't know who lives in another state. Requires a lot of trust......Maybe you'll find an MM.net member with a car you want. ;)

FF1077
08-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Its the greed that really steams me.

Don’t tell me you want a deposit to hold the car and when I give it to you sell the car because you get offered more money.
We made a deal on the price, I didnt force him to say yes.
There was a time when a mans word meant something, I guess not so much anymore because I am hearing similar stories from others.

I am going to have to do some research about buying a car out of state.
There is no way I am paying for a car I haven’t seen in person unless there is a way for me to get the $ back if the sale cant be completed.
More than likely I will end up buying a car out of state; the ones around me sell quickly. I cant really fly out and look at every car I like either. If its to far away from Washington I will either have to drive it or ship it. If I drive it that wont be too bad, but if I am shipping it... That will be a big pain because I have to figure in the cost of shipping into what I am willing to spend on a car. Then I have to find out how to get it on a truck and out here without it being a major production.

Just frustrated and venting.

So those of you with cars for sale send me a PM. I replied to those that were sent previously.

I will say no salvage or rebuilt titles. They are a pain to insure and sell.
Trust me Ive done it twice already.

Also I dont want anything with more than 70,000 miles.

Jeronimojc
08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
That sucks! I feel your pain! I know what it is like to be close to a deal and have it fall appart. If it is any consolation, in my case, it worked out for the best. Let's hope that's the same for you.

Buying cars out of state is definitely risky business. I've put some thougth into this. If I may, I would suggest concentrating on cars that are within 500 miles or so. In theory, the buyer would send you detailed pictures, maintenance records, and such before hand. You would have done carfax and other necessary research. You would then agree on a price, fly in, confirm the car is as advertised (or make a different offer), and drive home. The 500 mile parameter helps also if you can't come to an agreement, in which case you would purchase another ticket and fly back home. In this case, you would loose a day and some $ but this may be what what it takes to get your hands on one of these beauties if you live in the NW. Keep your eyes open though. You may get lucky.

FF1077
08-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Got a check yesterday for my money.
So the search continues.
I am finding that there are a lot more cars out there than I first thought.
Now I am kind of liking the idea of getting a supercharged Marauder!

FF1077
08-28-2010, 04:20 PM
If I may, I would suggest concentrating on cars that are within 500 miles or so.

I have certainly been looking for cars within that range. For some reason I am just not seeing that many cars for sale on the west coast. I am not against paying to have a car shipped. Its the business part that bothers me. By the time you figure in flights, shipping, and all the associated hassle I either end up waiting for a car thats a great deal or I spend more than the market value to get the car.

If the car is a great deal odds are that it will be gone before I get all the info I need. Pictures and all that.

If I spend more than market value on the car, its going to have to be in great condition to start with.

I just need to be patient. The $ is sitting in the bank and isn't going anywhere so there is no hurry.

gdsqdcr
08-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I am a little farther away, SF Bay Area, CA; but if you find one down here, I'll look at it for you. I have bought two cars out of state now. It wasn't easy.

Anthony

FF1077
09-17-2010, 05:07 PM
So for the next 60 days I am going to do the research, look at what’s for sale and when I am done I will look for one to buy. I don’t have a problem waiting till the right one comes along.

Thanks and I look forward to joining all the other Marauder Owners.

I finally found the right one!
I am now the proud owner of Trilogy #90.
It was everything I wanted. The owner is great, and so was the price. The mods he did to the car are perfect! What I would have done and then even better things.
I don’t know that it could have been any further away from me than it is, but that’s how it goes. LOL
If everything works out right I will have it in my hands by the 6th of October.

Thank you all for the advice. It really helped.

LANDY
09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
congrats on the vehicle.
was it a member from here?

Jeronimojc
09-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I finally found the right one!
I am now the proud owner of Trilogy #90.
It was everything I wanted. The owner is great, and so was the price. The mods he did to the car are perfect! What I would have done and then even better things.
I don’t know that it could have been any further away from me than it is, but that’s how it goes. LOL
If everything works out right I will have it in my hands by the 6th of October.

Thank you all for the advice. It really helped.

Contratulations and welcome to Marauder ownership! :beer:
I know you've been working on this for a while. Sounds like you'll have your car on time for our Oregon/Washington meeting (check out the thread (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65939)). Looking forward to meeting you and checking out the Trilogy.

FF1077
09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
congrats on the vehicle.
was it a member from here?

He is and from your state actually.
I know his user name on the other site, but not this one.

FF1077
09-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Contratulations and welcome to Marauder ownership! :beer:
I know you've been working on this for a while. Sounds like you'll have your car on time for our Oregon/Washington meeting (check out the thread (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65939)). Looking forward to meeting you and checking out the Trilogy.

Done, posted on the other thread. :)

Ms. Denmark
09-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Congratulations!!!!! :beer:

TFB
09-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Glad to hear you found one that is what you wanted, SC Marauders are a load of fun...

I kinda gambled on mine and flew to Chicago to get it... Mine does have a rebuilt title(damage from tree falling on it) but for less than $10K & only 42K mi, I don't care...

gdsqdcr
09-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Congrats! Now give us more info and pictures ... NOW!

:coolman::coolman:

:D

dohc324ci
09-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Sweet congrats!

FF1077
09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I bought the car from Dew34.

The car is a 2003 with 24k miles and the black/dark interior.
Mods are-
Trilogy #90 (stock pulley) installed at 18k.
Kooks exhaust, headers are heat wrapped. Full exhaust past that, can’t remember the details off the top of my head. Mike help!
Killer Chiller. It uses the cars a/c to cool the Inner Cooler Fluid.
CAI
Oil pre-lubber.
Oil catch can.
410 gears.
Rear cooling mod.
Larger rear sway bar.
Transmission has j-mod and a deeper pan.
2006 Ford Escape Radio.
Working oil pressure gauge.
Inner Cooler Fluid Temp Gauge.
Wired for a line lock.

Only thing it didn’t have, that I wanted was the heated seats. But what it does have WAY out does the lack of heated seats. These are all mods that I feel will make the car perform better, but will also make the car last longer.
There are more mods, but I can’t remember them off the top of my head.

The best thing is during the selling processs Mike would send me an email saying “I forgot to tell you the car has “X” or I did “X” to the car every couple of days. Like the car being wired for a line lock, the rear cooling mod, the Escape radio. Never was it anything bad. Heck he even fixed one of the window motors because it working as well as it should. Some guys might have charged for that since it didn’t NEED to be done right now. I don’t think I could have bought a better car from a better person. I am really happy with the whole deal.

It is currently sittign in a shipping depot in Florida, waiting to loaded on a truck. Mike told me the person he checked the car in with kept asking him why he was selling it.

So now begins the waiting. The shipping company, DAS, is supposed to have the car to my by 10/2/10. Thats Florida to Portland Oregon. After 10/2/10 I get $50 back up to $250. Im hoping that doesnt happen.
I did pay for a top load and the extra insurance.

FF1077
10-07-2010, 04:56 PM
It arrived!
Tomorrow I will have had it for a week. I gotta say the car is WAY better than Mike made it out to be. I am really, really happy with it.
It came out of the shipping process relatively unscathed. There is a spot on the front bumper where they rubbed paint with a white car, good news is that the license plate bracket will cover it. It had no front plate and no front bracket in Florida, but here in Washington I have to have one. I was a bit worried about it passing emissions, but it did. I think the entire process was under two minutes from start to finish. Fastest I have ever been through emissions.

The amount of power is taking a little bit getting used to. Going from a Ranger to a Trilogy Marauder is a huge difference. My little 4x4 Ranger took a bit of gas to get it moving. Not so with the Marauder. I just have to use nice and easy acceleration.
The sound of the exhaust is incredible! I’ve been driving around with the windows down just so I can enjoy it.