PDA

View Full Version : Another YHEC Completed

jabird56
08-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Well, we're back at home after spending last week up in Mansfield PA volunteering with the International Youth Hunter Education Challenge (YHEC). I have been volunteering with this event since 1995, and this event had it's 25th anniversary this year. We had 390 kids (ages 8-19) go through the different events this year, which was a record amount for the Mansfield venue. We had teams come in as far as Washington and Oregon States.

It great to see teenagers come through these events and maintain a level of honor, respect, focus, camaraderie, and

Even years we have it at Mansfield and on the odd years we have it at NRA's Whittington Center in Raton, NM.

Another record broken this year was set on the Sporting Clays Course, of which I am one of the Senior Range Safety Officers. This year in one day we put through 230 participants through the course. I was impressed, as I believe the previous record was 170 in one day.

The kids, the volunteers (100 of us), and the parents and other family members had a GREAT time...even with the heat and humidity.

So we now start looking ahead for the next National out in Raton next July.

Reference: http://www.nrahq.org/hunting/yhec/index.asp

babbage
08-04-2010, 05:24 AM
Very cool. I recently became a NYS certified hunter safety instructor.

thathotrodlincn
08-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Way to go man!!! I fully support the YHEC mission. The more known about guns and hunting, the less accidents we will have. I am an NHRA hunting safety and rifle marksmanship instructor, and wish I were closer (and younger) so that I could assist. Keep up the good work!!

LIGHTNIN1
08-04-2010, 06:54 AM
You lucky dog, getting to go to the Whittington Center and more than once. I hear it is very impressive. Sounds like you are having all the fun.