PDA

View Full Version : Man spends $187,000 to keep truck parked in his own driveway

69428SCJ
08-04-2010, 04:59 PM
People need to mind their own business...

http://jalopnik.com/5600495/man-spends-187000-fighting-for-right-to-park-truck-in-his-own-driveway

CRUZTAKER
08-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Working Link ;)[/URL]

[U]http://jalopnik.com/5600495/man-spends-187000-fighting-for-right-to-park-truck-in-his-own-driveway (http://Working Link)

69428SCJ
08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Strange, the link works fine for me. Regardless, thanks!

a_d_a_m
08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Same here, first link works fine for me...?

Joe Walsh
08-04-2010, 06:11 PM
It was stupid enough for the HOA to sue him in the first place seeing as he asked and received permission prior to buying his home...
but appealing their loss and then getting jammed for both side's legal costs was horrendously stupid. Over $300,000 in legal fees!?!?....:eek:
If I was another homeowner, I would refuse to pay any increases in my HOA fees because of this fiasco.

LANDY
08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Oh, no! I would be hot! And move to the middle of nowhere, they can stick their comunist laws up their ass.

CBT
08-04-2010, 06:19 PM
That house is fugly. If I were him I would put a for sale sign on that crap-tastic truck. For Sale: $187,000 OBO, contact HOMO.ASS. for details.

justbob
08-04-2010, 06:29 PM
GOOD FOR HIM! I have yet to meet any officials from an HOA that I liked! Typically SNOBS with nothing better to do than piss people off!

I agree with some HOA's politics as they keep the neighborhood clean, but they always feel the need to force BS rules too!

guspech750
08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Good for him. I would have done the same thing. But then again. When I looked at homes. I avoided any communist ruling party houses. Smarts am I.

Vortex
08-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I remember when I was truck shopping one of my mandatory requirements was it would fit inthe garage. My Quadcab clears the door by probably an inch. This guy could have used his money to either buy a smaller truck or expand his garage.

Motorhead350
08-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Why do I see something like this happening to me?

LIGHTNIN1
08-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Homeowners Associations are like that a lot of times. Best to avoid them. I think it would have been cheaper to move because they will find something else they don't like about this guy. I do admire him for standing up for his rights.

Krytin
08-05-2010, 08:37 AM
That house is fugly. If I were him I would put a for sale sign on that crap-tastic truck. For Sale: $187,000 OBO, contact HOMO.ASS. for details.

I love you man - you are so not right!! :lol:

Egon Spengler
08-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Why do I see something like this happening to me?
Because it almost seems that you like getting boned and invite it!

burtreynolds
08-05-2010, 02:27 PM
My HOA came over and let me know I had to not come into the neighborhood between the hours of 9:30PM and 6:00AM in my old Cobra, I could not work on my car(never turned it on until morning) late at night even with my garage door closed and I could not smoke anymore in my front yard. Keep in mind, my house is about 50 yards away from anyone else at the end of a culdesac with empty lots all around me. I promptly told them to go stick it somewhere and kept doing what I was doing...I have yet to hear of anything else about it.

I feel for this guy though, apparently his HOA is full of doers not blowhards.

Cobra25
08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Well at the end he got awardered his legal fee's back so it didnt cost him anything. Their is good & bad in HOA's. The problem is most people don't take the time to read their doc's before they buy the home to see if that is the place they can live in. Request to go too a Board meeting before buying a home in a HOA is also a good thing to see how the Board members really are.

Motorhead350
08-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I would buy 3 more just to spite them.

SHERIFF
08-06-2010, 03:43 AM
This guy could have used his money to either buy a smaller truck or expand his garage.

Whoa! Stop the presses! As the owner of a Ford Excursion, why should I have to sell it and downgrade to an 4 cylinder S-10 pickup that will fit in a normal garage out of sight? My Excursion looks better than some of the old used cars in my neighborhood. One neighbor has an old Jeep Grand Cherokee that never been within 100 feet of a sponge and soap. But it's OK for her to park her nasty looking junk in the driveway while I have to hide my bright shiny Excursion in a garage?

Furthermore, the guy didn't really end up spending any of "his" money. He got it all back in the judge's ruling awarding him court costs and attorney fees. I've been there and done that myself on several occasions.

fastblackmerc
08-06-2010, 04:12 AM
Well at the end he got awardered his legal fee's back so it didnt cost him anything. Their is good & bad in HOA's. The problem is most people don't take the time to read their doc's before they buy the home to see if that is the place they can live in. Request to go too a Board meeting before buying a home in a HOA is also a good thing to see how the Board members really are.

+1

Most people don't read or understand their HOA documents. If they did there would be very few problems. The restrictive covenants are there for a reason. If you don't want to abide by them then don't move into the neighborhood. If you buy a house in a development with covenants, the documents you signed when getting the mortgage legally obligate you to abide by those covenants.

Krytin
08-06-2010, 05:50 AM

The truck owner had the approval of the HOA to park his truck in the driveway. The HOA tried to change that after the fact. I don't see how the owner failed to read his doc's before he purchaced his home. In fact he did read the aggreement and understood it well enough to get clarification from the HOA. Then the HOA decided to change the rules - poor sportsmanship! An arbitrary rule change after buying the property should not be legal - and it appears that it isn't based on the outcome of this case. This type of story is typical of the ones I hear from friends and family involved with these types of organizations. HOAs are filled up with people who have nothing better to do than tell other people what to do. They appear to be something to stay away from.

Joe Walsh
08-06-2010, 07:58 AM
The truck owner had the approval of the HOA to park his truck in the driveway. The HOA tried to change that after the fact. I don't see how the owner failed to read his doc's before he purchaced his home. In fact he did read the aggreement and understood it well enough to get clarification from the HOA. Then the HOA decided to change the rules - poor sportsmanship! An arbitrary rule change after buying the property should not be legal - and it appears that it isn't based on the outcome of this case. This type of story is typical of the ones I hear from friends and family involved with these types of organizations. HOAs are filled up with people who have nothing better to do than tell other people what to do. They appear to be something to stay away from.

Yep, he asked and recieved permission/clarification on the Pick-up in the driveway isse.
F' the HOA, as the courts agreed.

My HOA is layed back and pretty cool about stuff in our neighborhood.
They don't go around bothering everyone about little things.
If you have some nasty crap in your yard or a broken down car, then they do what they are supposed to do....they cite you.

Some HOAs are like Nazi SS troops and go friggin' crazy with their first taste of authority.
I think that they are wanna-be-powerful tards who have nothing better to do but harass fellow neighbors.

CBT
08-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Stop complaining and go cut your grass. It's an 1/8th inch too high. :D

Yep, he asked and recieved permission/clarification on the Pick-up in the driveway isse.
F' the HOA, as the courts agreed.

My HOA is layed back and pretty cool about stuff in our neighborhood.
They don't go around bothering everyone about little things.
If you have some nasty crap in your yard or a broken down car, then they do what they are supposed to do....they cite you.

Some HOAs are like Nazi SS troops and go friggin' crazy with their first taste of authority.
I think that they are wanna-be-powerful tards who have nothing better to do but harass fellow neighbors.

Joe Walsh
08-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Stop complaining and go cut your grass. It's an 1/8th inch too high. :D

LOL......

I haven't cut it in weeks....
This has been an awful Summer; very little rain and HOT as h*ll.
The good news is that I've only cut my straw...errr.....lawn 3 times this Summer!

Cobra25
08-06-2010, 11:00 AM
The truck owner had the approval of the HOA to park his truck in the driveway. The HOA tried to change that after the fact. I don't see how the owner failed to read his doc's before he purchaced his home. In fact he did read the aggreement and understood it well enough to get clarification from the HOA. Then the HOA decided to change the rules - poor sportsmanship! An arbitrary rule change after buying the property should not be legal - and it appears that it isn't based on the outcome of this case. This type of story is typical of the ones I hear from friends and family involved with these types of organizations. HOAs are filled up with people who have nothing better to do than tell other people what to do. They appear to be something to stay away from.In Florida once a HOA Give's writen Permission too do something and the owner follows through with it, it's over. If the HOA changes it's ruleing afterwards they will loose in the courts . The Original Permission Letter "Grandfathers" them and thats why he most likely won his case.

Joe Walsh
08-06-2010, 11:02 AM
In Florida once a HOA Give's writen Permission too do something and the owner follows through with it, it's over. If the HOA changes it's ruleing afterwards they will loose in the courts . The Original Permission Letter "Grandfathers" them and thats why he most likely won his case.

Good....As it should be.

Leadfoot281
08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Furthermore, the guy didn't really end up spending any of "his" money. He got it all back in the judge's ruling awarding him court costs and attorney fees. I've been there and done that myself on several occasions.

There is absolutely NO guarantee that you'll be awarded attourney costs on any case, ever. This guy literallly gambled $187,000 on this case and won it back. This could have been a very expensive flip of the coin.

I've never been awarded attourney fees, even on cases I've won.

Cobra25
08-06-2010, 01:32 PM
There is absolutely NO guarantee that you'll be awarded attourney costs on any case, ever. This guy literallly gambled $187,000 on this case and won it back. This could have been a very expensive flip of the coin.

I've never been awarded attourney fees, even on cases I've won.Most HOA Doc's have a clause in them that states that if a Homeowner sues a HOA they must assume the HOA's attorneys fee's . But If a HOA sues a Homeowner in most case's it doesn't apply and the homeowner may get his attorneys fees back if the Judge see's fit.

SHERIFF
08-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I've never been awarded attourney fees, even on cases I've won.

You need to hire a better attorney! :)

Mr. Man
08-06-2010, 06:30 PM
In Jersey you just make a phone call to the "guy" you know and the HOA goes away, sometimes you even get a fruit basket:D

Cobra25
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
In Jersey you just make a phone call to the "guy" you know and the HOA goes away, sometimes you even get a fruit basket:DI Guess it depends on who you know ! It's nice to have friends !!!:D

burtreynolds
08-06-2010, 11:09 PM
In Jersey you just make a phone call to the "guy" you know and the HOA goes away, sometimes you even get a fruit basket:D

Here in Southwest Missouri, we call that guy "Ol Boy." Example:

"Man, that HOA guy really chaps my ass. He wont let me keep my Powerstroke out here, yet his grass is above the required 1/8th inch...I measured! I think Ill call "Ol Boy" to go take care of him.

Motorhead350
08-06-2010, 11:59 PM
It looks like it was his work truck, so there's another issue too.

"Find me another job that pays just as well and maybe it'll be gone. Oh guess what I still need to drive to work. The truck stays!"

martyo
08-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Could you imagine what an HOA would say to me????

http://www.legalknevil.com/albums/My-Garage/IMG_5221.sized.jpg

LIGHTNIN1
08-07-2010, 05:57 AM

Nice collection Martyo. Looks like that would improve a lot of neighborhoods and it is you that should be sought after by the HOA.:beer:

dakslim
08-07-2010, 06:10 AM
The condo association that I belonged to decided that they didn't want anything hanging on the outside walls including American flags. I went to a meeting and told them that if anyone touched my flag there would be hell to pay. I never heard anything about it again.:flag:

Joe Walsh
08-07-2010, 06:21 AM
The condo association that I belonged to decided that they didn't want anything hanging on the outside walls including American flags. I went to a meeting and told them that if anyone touched my flag there would be hell to pay. I never heard anything about it again.:flag:

WTG!..........:2thumbs:

MMarauder03
08-07-2010, 06:22 AM

Probably stop doing burnouts in your driveway! lol They don't want to see those black strips... they are really eyesores... :rolleyes: My father got in trouble with his HOA for the same reason, 4 hrs later with a scrub brush in the driveway he gave up and they forgot about it

fastblackmerc
08-07-2010, 07:13 AM

Amen!

I'm on our HOA BoD and American flags are a welcome display!

MMarauder03
08-07-2010, 07:25 AM

They really don't want the American flag flown in their subdivision????? WOW!! Good for you though, I'd stand up to that. :flag:

Leadfoot281
08-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I think a HOA would probably have less issue with you Marty than they'd have with me...

There's a difference between doing a burnout in your yard and just plain being a burnout in the yard. :rolleyes: :lol: