PDA

View Full Version : Tip for take out: Yes or no?

freakstatus
08-07-2010, 06:45 AM
I've been having this debate with my wife (who used to be a server so that may affect her thought process).

Do you leave a tip for take out orders?

I say no because tipping is for service. Wife says that you should tip around 10% or so as a common courtesy.

Thought I'd put it out there.

MMarauder03
08-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I've been having this debate with my wife (who used to be a server so that may affect her thought process).

Do you leave a tip for take out orders?

I say no because tipping is for service. Wife says that you should tip around 10% or so as a common courtesy.

Thought I'd put it out there.

Working in the food industry it's hard to say whether or not you should tip. When you do tip if you order a pizza it goes to the order TAKER, not the one who necessarily makes your food. So you order 50 dollars in food, I sit there and spend 20 minutes prepping and cooking your food, and the order taker will get the tip... So it's really up to you. The percentage where I work that people actually tip (not the 37 cents you got back and drop into the tip jar) is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 or 5 percent. So in an average day with 100 orders there'd be 5, 1 or 2 dollar tips. Maybe 5 if you're lucky. Tips are appreciated but not necessary... Your wife is welcome to order from my establishment anyday :lol: got a car payment to make :(

fastblackmerc
08-07-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't tip for take-out.

I do tip, my wife says too generously sometimes, for table service.

rayjay
08-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't tip for take-out.

I do tip, my wife says too generously sometimes, for table service.

+1, I tip 15% minimum and it goes up for good service and being personable. Conversely it goes down for the I'm doing you a favor by taking your order attitude.

Blackened300a
08-07-2010, 07:45 AM
I always tip very well whether its eating out or take out. Generally my tip for take out is $4-$5 no matter the cost of food. It saves me the inconvenience of leaving the house and going to get it myself so its worth the little extra it to me.

justbob
08-07-2010, 07:55 AM
I have never tipped for takeout. I tip 20% everytime I eat at a restaurant however. I have a really bad attitude about tipping though. I have allways felt they should flat out get paid more, and the owners should not rely on the customers to ultimately pay the wages for their staff. Jack up the prices if needed, and pay your employees! Where do you stop tipping? Most things in life are services right?

MMarauder03
08-07-2010, 07:59 AM
I have never tipped for takeout. I tip 20% everytime I eat at a restaurant however. I have a really bad attitude about tipping though. I have allways felt they should flat out get paid more, and the owners should not rely on the customers to ultimately pay the wages for their staff. Jack up the prices if needed, and pay your employees! Where do you stop tipping? Most things in life are services right?

This is true. Restaurants would have more emplyees that last more than a month because they don't make enough money due to lousy tippers... Less money paid for labor to train new employees would effectively save them money in the long run, but what do I know? I'm just a kid.

tbone
08-07-2010, 08:01 AM
The tipping jar at a fast food place or especially coffee joints annoy me. They get at least minimum wage to do their job. Waitresses don't get paid even minimum wage and rely on tips. That's the difference. I agree with justbob that the restaurant owner's should pay more.

Mr. Man
08-07-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm with JustBob on this one. I find tipping to be a giant rip-off and it scrolls my nerd when we eat in a fancy place. Why should the server get 15% of a $200. check for doing the same work as the person who serves me my food on a $7. check in a diner. Both people do the same work and in fact usually the diner person gets my order right the first time. Tipping is archaic. Let's move into the 21st century and just pay the employees a reasonable wage. Tipping for take-out, never. Tipping in a sit down situation, begrudginly yes.

guspech750
08-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Simple. I will not and never will tip for take out.... Do your job. Take my order and cook the food please. Impicking it up. Its not my job to save everyone. If you dont like it. Guess what. Heres a TIP. Get a better job.

fastblackmerc
08-07-2010, 08:16 AM
It saves me the inconvenience of leaving the house and going to get it myself so its worth the little extra it to me.

You mean home delivery.

I think we're talking about going to a restaurant for take-out food.

Blackened300a
08-07-2010, 08:17 AM
What bugs me the most is when restaurants will put the suggested gratuity on the check.

Blackened300a
08-07-2010, 08:18 AM
You mean home delivery.

I think we're talking about going to a restaurant for take-out food.

Oh well in that case they get nothing. I pay what I owe and I'm out.

PonyUP
08-07-2010, 09:06 AM
What bugs me the most is when restaurants will put the suggested gratuity on the check.

I don't agree with a sugested gratuity, but I do agree when there are large parties, that the gratuity is included (and I usually tip on it anyway cause it's usually around 16%) But I never tip for take out. I look at it as their tip goes into my gas tank because I'm picking it up. And the tip cup at Subway or Starbucks, are you F'n kidding me? You ain't getting jack. You get paid a wage to make coffee (and it's actually above minimum wage because you're a damn barista) if you don't like that wage, take it up with your boss or go be a coffee jockey somewhere else that pays more. I refuse to go to starbucks and pay $5 for a large coffee mocha or whatever flavored crap they have, and then be expected to tip on top of, I think not.

Bartenders, much different story, I REALLY take care of those who take care of me. And for delivery as well as when I go in the restraunt, I will always tip on, even on bad service, but I will overtip on good service

wht02lightning
08-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Simple. I will not and never will tip for take out.... Do your job. Take my order and cook the food please. Impicking it up. Its not my job to save everyone. If you dont like it. Guess what. Heres a TIP. Get a better job.

I agree 100%. Im a manager at a pizza place, and most of the time im in the store im the only person who takes orders and makes pizza. I make well over minimum wage and dont expect anyone to tip me. If I didnt like how much I was getting paid to do what I do then I wouldnt work there. Drivers on the other hand should be tipped as long as the level of service warrants it. I wouldnt tip a rude driver who looked unprofessional

MrBluGruv
08-07-2010, 09:46 AM
My favorite is when the server doesn't bring exact change back, only the paper money. Even if I WAS gonna leave a tip, I don't do it after that. I figure they obviously want to decide how much they want to keep of my money, who am I to argue if they insist on a 65 cent tip?

freakstatus
08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Looks like we'll stick to what we have been doing....She can tip when she picks up and I won't when I pick up.

This one place in particular always makes me feel cheap when I don't do it. Like when I'm paying by interact and hand the terminal back with no tip, I'll get "the look" or they'll slam the terminal down and storm off with a sarcastic "Have a nice day" or something. I feel like saying "Its take out, what do you expect?" If their food wasn't so damn good....

tbone
08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I hate it when the tip is automatically added in for larger parties. They always add 20% regardless of the service. Also, they take 20% of the bill INCLUDING TAX. That is a scam. You don't tip on TAX! The alcohol portion of the bill should be tipped at 10%. Food 15%. Excellent service 20% or more on food, alcohol % at your discretion. Bad service 0-10%.

LIGHTNIN1
08-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I tip for pizza delivery etc. but tipping is out of hand a long time ago. That is why I tend to look for places I don't have to tip. It seems no matter how much you tip there is always someone,that thinks you are being cheap. I am not part of the Uncle Sam Bailout committee. I am helping pay the wages when I pay too much for the food. They should pay higher wages and not wasted so much on the building.

PhastPhil
08-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't get take out often, but there are places that I return to when I do get take out. I don't tip each time I go there. But I will leave a tip every once in a while. I think the employees don't expect a tip for take out. So they understand why I tip only once in a while, and they appreciate it.

PonyUP
08-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I was talking to a buddy of mine last night that owns a restaurant/bar and he said he doesn't expect tips on take out except for large orders (Like a family of 10) as it does take quite a bit to put those together.

ctrlraven
08-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I only tip for dine-in and delivery only. Take-out gets nada.

chandler
08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
here in kokomo at chile's the bartenders make the take out orders and the counter person gets the tips. ive sat at the bar for 15 minutes waiting for my check so i could go while she was making a meal. she was losing buisness cus people were getting up and she made no tip off the food she prepared. so i walk around and tip her when i get takeout. and she gives me damn good service at the bar because of it.

jstevens
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM

for eat in I tip 20% due to I know they are getting paid crap.

Ms. Denmark
08-08-2010, 03:17 PM
This is a question that puzzles me too. I usually don't tip for the occasional take out order like pizza or Chinese. But I do stop in at Starbuck's every weekday to pick up coffee. The baristas (fancy word for counter person) are really nice and always know what I want and have it ready when I walk up. It's a nice way to ease into my day. I hate to tip for a $1.98 cup of "grande bold"(fancy word for medium size) each and every day, so once a week I leave $1.00 in the tip jar. Is it too cheap? Or is it even necessary? :dunno:

guspech750
08-08-2010, 09:01 PM
This is a question that puzzles me too. I usually don't tip for the occasional take out order like pizza or Chinese. But I do stop in at Starbuck's every weekday to pick up coffee. The baristas (fancy word for counter person) are really nice and always know what I want and have it ready when I walk up. It's a nice way to ease into my day. I hate to tip for a $1.98 cup of "grande bold"(fancy word for medium size) each and every day, so once a week I leave $1.00 in the tip jar. Is it too cheap? Or is it even necessary? :dunno:
To each their own. Id say if they know what you want and have it there for you. Go ahead. But on the flip side. What if you feel like having something else and you get up to the counter and your usuall is waiting. What do you do? Personally. I would not want them to do me any favors for that reason, and its just friggn coffee.

fastblackmerc
08-09-2010, 05:02 AM
To each their own. Id say if they know what you want and have it there for you. Go ahead. But on the flip side. What if you feel like having something else and you get up to the counter and your usuall is waiting. What do you do? Personally. I would not want them to do me any favors for that reason, and its just friggn coffee.

Expensive coffee too!!

massacre
08-09-2010, 10:41 AM
People who hate tipping:

Have you ever gone to say, Canada, where the gratuity is included, and there is no tipping?
Worst service I ever got.
The one good thing about tipping is that the ones who are motivated and take their customers' orders seriously do have the potential to make money.
Where there is no tipping, there is no incentive to be a better waitperson, so the service usually sucks real bad.
Just my .02

BTW I tip at least 20% when dining in, small tip for delivery but like was said, unless it is a take-out order for like 10 people I don't tip on take-out.

Mr. Man
08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Expensive coffee too!!
She doesn't realise she is cutting into her MM mods budget.:lol: Though when it comes to good coffee I don't think she cares. :coffee: