PDA

View Full Version : Disable Anti theft system?

20Marauder04
08-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Ok guys I got a 99 chevy cavalier for the demolition derby for free . No keys for the car but I took apart the back of the ignition and can turn the car over but only runs for a few seconds and then shuts off (anti theft system light flashing) obviously thats keeping the car from running but i need to disable it . anybody got ideas? . or can anyone get a wiring diagram for the ignition/ anti theft system?

justbob
08-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Is this the ignition with the magnet in the keys? I have read that you can simply pop the cylinder and hold a stronger magnet just below the column and it will work fine (for stealing purposes). I also thought I read somewhere that there is a small hole (once inside the column) that you can use a safety pin to hold back the magnets.

I don't believe the older chevys had the anti theft in the tune, but if it does, slide a tuner a couple bucks and have him turn it off in the tune.

rayjay
08-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I have a suggestion, DON'T put a Cavalier in a demo derby. You're going to die...

ctrlraven
08-09-2010, 06:44 AM
It has GM's Passlock I system which is cutting the fuel to the injectors.

This will help you out.
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.autos.tech/2006-02/msg00104.html

Motorhead350
08-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Free running 99 Chevy? I would have parted it out or gave it to a family member in need of wheels.