PDA

View Full Version : coolant leaking

tallpaul
08-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Last week on my way home from work the upper water pump hose on my '86 dodge ram cracked open and coolant went everywhere. I immediately pulled over and let it cool down. I got the truck home and put new hoses on it, flushed the system and replaced the thermostat. After that I heard coolant leaking, I looked under the truck and coolant was leaking badly on the passenger side. I didn't look on the driver side.

The next day I decided to pull the intake and heads off. I couldn't see any visual gasket problems on the intake or head gaskets. When I pulled the heads off there was alot of coolant in the cylinders on the passenger side. Is this a blown head gasket or just coolant that spilled out when I pulled the heads? Now that the heads are off I plan to have them checked out and cleaned up. Any help from you guys would be great.

justbob
08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
How did the gaskets look? That alone should tell you alot. why didn't you pressure test the system first?
EDIT: I see now that you said they looked good. I highly doubt you have a bad head or gasket.

tallpaul
08-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Maybe "looking good" to me wasn't very good at all. I could have missed something. The passenger head gasket did have a bend in it at the bottom, but that could have happened when I pulled the head off. The coolant seemed to be leaking from the top of the head or from the intake manifold. I really hope that the block isn't cracked. If it is then I have a really heavy paper weight.

Big Black Beast
08-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Well, now that you pulled the heads off, it would be pretty silly to not replace the head gaskets...

justbob
08-08-2010, 08:12 PM
My suggestion. Get new gaskets and put it back together and this time pressure test the system. This could easilly be many small things such as a freeze plug.

tallpaul
08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I have bought new gaskets. I just didn't have a way to pressure test the system and I was hoping to fix the problem and not have to take it to a shop.

justbob
08-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Bad heads/blocks/gaskets is a very rare thing on older dodges. I can see an intake leak sure, or freeze plug. But in the future, most auto part stores rent pressure testers for free and can save you boatloads of cash and time. And to answer your question about coolant in the cylinders from removal of head, yes, absolutely you will get a good amount in there. Do not forget to change your oil now also.

If you can get a good price on having the heads checked then??? My guess would be they are fine. It's your truck, do what you think is right.