PDA

View Full Version : Stainless vs. Ceramic Coated

Ross
12-02-2003, 01:01 PM
I understand that the new bolt up kit will be stainless, without the option of getting ceramic coated. I like the idea of stainless, but I have heard that the ceramic will hold heat in better, and not radiate as much heat back into the engine. Is this right? If so, can the stainless ones be coated to provide the same anti-radiated heat protection for other nearby engine components?

FordNut
12-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Yes, you can have the stainless ones coated.

Not sure if they're being offered that way, but local shops will do either type at the same price.

Ross
12-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Thanks. Will coating stainless headers provide more "insulation" to them and prevent more heat from entering the engine compartment?

BillyGman
12-03-2003, 09:16 AM
the companies that do the coatings, yes.

SergntMac
12-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Reinhart Cobra manifolds are jet coated specifically for that reason. The more heat you can keep away from the Intech 4V heads, the better. Even coated, headers will still throw off more heat than manifolds.

Ross
12-03-2003, 10:13 AM
What about using thermal wrap on some parts like Billy suggested? I want these headers, but as usual, I'm being conservative and trying to be as "gentle" to my car as possible.

BillyGman
12-03-2003, 11:47 PM
that thermal heat resistent wrap that I used on the starter during the Kook's header installation, was marketed specifically for starters in cars that have headers. So that wasn't all my idea to use that on the starter. I saw it being sold for starters in the Summit racing cataloge, and I know from past experience w/my Vette that the heat from headers can and often will hinder starters, and even shorten their longevity drastically. Once I wrapped the starter on my Vette w/that same material, it lasted for years, and is still working great on that car w/the headers today. Whereas before using that wrap, I went through two starters that both lasted merely 3 months. I don't think it would be neccessary nor advantagous to wrap anything else other than the starter and solenoid to gaurd against header heat. They do sell special sparkplug boots that are made of ceramic, for engines w/headers, but that isn't neccessary w/Marauders since the sparkplugs aren't located anywhere near the headers on these cars.