PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Corvette...WTF?

Joe Walsh
08-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I just read this article from AutoWeek:

A mid-engine Corvette won't happen, an exec says.
It's official: There's no mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette on the horizon. That's the word from General Motors' top global engineer.

As for a Corvette with a hybrid powertrain, that remains a possibility.

Karl-Friedrich Stracke, GM vice president of global vehicle engineering, on Tuesday discussed a wide range of topics--including the next-generation Corvette.

Over the past two years or so, countless Web and print stories have been written about the upcoming redesigned Corvette, and nearly all have speculated that GM was developing a mid-engine model. Speculation regarding the timing for the mid-engine car's debut was anywhere from the 2014 model year to several years later.

Stracke said he was familiar with those stories: “I don't know who made this public. I think it is wrong.”

On Wednesday, when asked for clarification about Stracke's comments, Dan Flores, a GM communications spokesman, said Stracke “is quashing those rumors.”

“The rumors and speculation about the Corvette are just that. There is no mid-engine in the plans” nor any plans for a wet dual-clutch transmission.

Earlier this month, a story attributed to a Saab engineer said the Swedish automaker had developed a wet dual-clutch transmission for a mid-engine Corvette, according to Autocar.co.uk.

The transmission supposedly had been created when Saab was part of GM. Stracke has been the head of GM global engineering since December.

Talk about a mid-engine Corvette has been a hot topic in chat rooms. But not everyone is in favor of that engine configuration, which puts the engine behind the driver and passenger seats instead of the usual spot, under the hood.

On the subject of eight cylinders versus six--another hot topic online--Stracke said GM is not testing a V6-powered Corvette. However, asked whether a hybrid powertrain will ever be offered in a Corvette, Stracke said, “That is an interesting idea.”

“Porsche has announced a full hybridization for their complete lineup. What can they do? They need it” to meet CAFÉ rules, he said.

“The customer always wants power. That will not go away,” so automakers will need to improve fuel economy along with offering better performance, he said.

Stracke said automakers, including GM, could decide on a strategy that limits the number of conventional powertrains in their sports cars.

“You could keep a normal powertain configuration for a small amount of very excited car enthusiasts,” Stracke said. “And turn 80 to 90 percent of your sports-car portfolio to hybridization.”

Sure, that makes sense....everyone who buys a high performance sports car is concerned about gas mileage....:rolleyes:

"I demand that my 625 HP Corvette get 32 mpg or I won't buy it!"
..............Yeah right!

Let's shove some heavy batteries in a car that is supposed to be light and quick handling...

Next, we'll have "a strategy" to limit the number of conventional powertrains by pricing them through the roof...
The "very excited car enthusiasts" will take it in the rear just to get the same thing that you could always buy at NO premium!

Then 80 to 90 percent of your suckers....errrr...."sports car portfolio" will gladly buy a hybrid Corvette!

SpartaPerformance
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Why not! Some Formula 1 cars are hybrids, they have an electric "booster" motor. It works great!

burtreynolds
08-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Government Motors...what a bunch of silly b's.

boatmangc
08-13-2010, 03:35 AM
I'm not opposed, the surge an electric motor has is amazing. instant torque.
I am opposed to the whole chevy/government motors though

Motorhead350
08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I am fully opposed to it. Anything hybrid is doing more harm than good for the environment in may ways. Also I agree with Joe, when I think performance, gas mileage is my last concern.

Could we all pitch some cash in a bowl and have someone nuke CAFE? They are ruining the auto industry more by the day. :censor:

DEFYANT
08-13-2010, 10:09 AM
I am all for it. When the Vette customer base goes running, they'll probably end up in a Mustang, keeping demand up!

ctrlraven
08-13-2010, 10:14 AM
The corvette can get 30 mpg + on the highway, F-bodies (last gen) and Vettes (regular C5/C6 non Z06/ZR-1) have been able to for a while now. It's just all in how you drive.

An old client of mine had a 99 Trans-Am 6-spd manual with SLP intake, SLP cat-back exhaust a few other things and custom dyno tune and he told me he was getting 33-34 mpg on the highway doing speed limit or close to 5 over.

Motorhead350
08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Wow that's pretty cool. 13 second car getting 34mpg? Nice.

But it's no Marauder. :D

Big Black Beast
08-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Hybrid fever! Catch it!