PDA

View Full Version : Inside Line slams 2010 Grand Marquis

Vortex
08-27-2010, 09:32 PM
http://www.insideline.com/mercury/grand-marquis/2010/2010-mercury-grand-marquis-ls-ultimate-edition-full-test.html

Ill just keep telling myself how bad it is going 75 mph down the interstate getting 27 mpg with the a/c set on "arctic".

Motorhead350
08-27-2010, 09:36 PM
.................:shake:...... ...........

Leadfoot281
08-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Maybe I'm just plain crazy but that article really makes me want to go out and buy one (or two) of 'em ASAP.

Mr. Man
08-27-2010, 10:36 PM
One of the commenters said they thought the article was written by a 12 year old with a poster of WRX's on his walls. I agree. The car serves it's purpose and does it with good results. As a 6'3" middle aged man with a bit to much padding I am at a loss as what kind of car I would buy if I wanted a new one. I know I can fit in an S-Class Mercedes but I'd have to rob a bank to afford one. The new "large" cars are what we used to call mid-sized 25 years ago and I didn't fit in them then and I know I don't fit now(I was even skinnier back then). What are American manufactures going to sell mid aged and older folks who don't want a death trap itty bitty car that they can't get in and out of?

TAKEDOWN
08-27-2010, 10:47 PM
^^^ I guess in the mid-size cars you can always take the front driver side seat out and drive from the rear seat! :thinker: ^^^

BAD MERC
08-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Car and Driver and Motortrend did the same basically saying "it beats walking" and is way past due to be euthanised. Sure - it ain't a hip or exciting car but it fits SIX and what... eight golf bags? And a cooler. It's a steal when you compare bang for the buck.

Mr. Man
08-27-2010, 11:21 PM
^^^ I guess in the mid-size cars you can always take the front driver side seat out and drive from the rear seat! :thinker: ^^^
ala Bubba Smith:)

justbob
08-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Then why exactly was the Mini Cooper praised for its what, 43 year run with NO changes??? Because people like dependability! If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

a_d_a_m
08-27-2010, 11:24 PM
The review isn't that inaccurate. The Panther platform gets "outdone" by a lot of cars. Even so, the car is a pleasure to drive - something they readily admit to.

I rather enjoyed the article.

Motorhead350
08-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Then why exactly was the Mini Cooper praised for its what, 43 year run with NO changes??? Because people like dependability! If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

I strongly agreeQ

- it ain't a hip car

That what makes it cool. :cool:

BAD MERC
08-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Ya know - this is the ultimate trouble-maker car. You can do anything, anywhere at any speed and no cop will even glance at you.

Motorhead350
08-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Ya know - this is the ultimate trouble-maker car. You can do anything, anywhere at any speed and no cop will even glance at you.

Yes to everything except the cop thing. :D

wx4caster
08-28-2010, 05:05 AM
There's a reason the PN platforms haven't changed much since 1992.... why change a formula that works? (just ask Coke)

I'll take a " full-size, front-engine, rear-drive, V8-powered, solid-rear-axle, American-made mainstream sedan" over anything in the comparable price range anyday.
Hi, my name is Richard and I am ......................... old skhool.:)

69marquis conv
08-28-2010, 05:37 AM
Obviously most of the folks commenting have never driven a GM on the highway.

LIGHTNIN1
08-28-2010, 05:39 AM
I think it is time to go drive one when I am off this week. Might have to trade in the truck. When they ask if I want to trade in the Marauder the answer will be a strong negative. These reviewers are not as smart as they think they are sometimes. They can always find something wrong.

boatmangc
08-28-2010, 05:59 AM
I rented one last November when I barfed the MM motor. It was an "ultimate" edition and while it is not the MM in power or suspension it was very much a pleasure to drive. I would buy one now if I needed another big car, it's days are numbered, who knows what we are getting next.
I think the new SHOs are cool but not for me.

Mote
08-28-2010, 07:20 AM
That review is hilarious! Quotes like "Asthmatically exhaling through a single exhaust" had me rolling!

I bought a Marauder, I wasn't looking for a GM. Frankly I think the review had some *some* valid points for the model GM they tested.

Vortex
08-28-2010, 07:55 AM
I happen to own both; a low milage MM (soon to be seen in Charlotte) and an 09 GM that Ive added tinted windows and Bullitt wheels. As you would expect, they handle and perform very differently, the MM feels to me like a smaller car for some reason (guess its the engine and suspension). The Grand Marquis is not very quick from a stop but once you are rolling, when you gas it like when you get on a highway it will go fairly quick. The best part of the GM to me is the ride. I dont know why people think its just dandy to ride all day, every day, with stiff suspension. I like how my GM glides over railroad tracks, potholes and other stuff. I also like how it handles predictably, it does have body roll but most of my day to day driving I dont drive like Joie Chitwood (ancient reference). Another thing, purely subjective, is looks. I traded a perfectly good 20k 05 Montego on GM. The Montego was everything the GM isnt. That said, it was like driving a blob. My Grand Marquis, with the $400 in wheels/tint gets more looks in a day than that Montego ever got. One last thing. On the highway, my MM might get 24 mpg. My GM get 27 mpg and when you figure how big and comfy it is, its kinda a miracle. I remember my brand new bug in 74 got 24 mpg on the highway. In conclusion, I recommend the GM as a nice daily driver. I traded the Montego for mine (it was used with 9k miles) and really like it. Thats it, just a few thoughts.

guspech750
08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I happen to own both; a low milage MM (soon to be seen in Charlotte) and an 09 GM that Ive added tinted windows and Bullitt wheels. As you would expect, they handle and perform very differently, the MM feels to me like a smaller car for some reason (guess its the engine and suspension). The Grand Marquis is not very quick from a stop but once you are rolling, when you gas it like when you get on a highway it will go fairly quick. The best part of the GM to me is the ride. I dont know why people think its just dandy to ride all day, every day, with stiff suspension. I like how my GM glides over railroad tracks, potholes and other stuff. I also like how it handles predictably, it does have body roll but most of my day to day driving I dont drive like Joie Chitwood (ancient reference). Another thing, purely subjective, is looks. I traded a perfectly good 20k 05 Montego on GM. The Montego was everything the GM isnt. That said, it was like driving a blob. My Grand Marquis, with the $400 in wheels/tint gets more looks in a day than that Montego ever got. One last thing. On the highway, my MM might get 24 mpg. My GM get 27 mpg and when you figure how big and comfy it is, its kinda a miracle. I remember my brand new bug in 74 got 24 mpg on the highway. In conclusion, I recommend the GM as a nice daily driver. I traded the Montego for mine (it was used with 9k miles) and really like it. Thats it, just a few thoughts.
Dude. You have a silver cop car, and thats funny......:D

Hack Goby
08-28-2010, 09:02 AM
I happen to own both; a low milage MM (soon to be seen in Charlotte) and an 09 GM that Ive added tinted windows and Bullitt wheels. As you would expect, they handle and perform very differently, the MM feels to me like a smaller car for some reason (guess its the engine and suspension). My Grand Marquis, with the $400 in wheels/tint gets more looks.

Im looking at a norsea blue one right now like yours but the color looks better in pictures than in person and the tan leather looks like they came from those beige velcro walking shoes you see church ladys wear.However price wise theres a lot of bang for the buck and yours looks good with the rims.

Vortex
08-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Im looking at a norsea blue one right now like yours but the color looks better in pictures than in person and the tan leather looks like they came from those beige velcro walking shoes you see church ladys wear.However price wise theres a lot of bang for the buck and yours looks good with the rims.

Im not a fan of the tan leather myself but I cant see trying to change it.

de minimus
08-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Vortex - nice GM. Love the colour and wheels. I'm looking at replacing my DD (2009 Lincoln MKZ) with another panther. Nice as the MKZ is, I should never of traded in my Town car in the first place.

Black_Out
08-28-2010, 10:07 AM
There's a reason the PN platforms haven't changed much since 1992.... why change a formula that works? (just ask Coke)

I'll take a " full-size, front-engine, rear-drive, V8-powered, solid-rear-axle, American-made mainstream sedan" over anything in the comparable price range anyday.
Hi, my name is Richard and I am ......................... old skhool.:)

lol this formula doesn't "work". The only thing you can do in this car is drive in a straight line, like an elderly person. There are plenty of big body cars that were much better than the Grand Marquis / Crown Vic. Like the Roadmaster. My dad has owned 3 of them. They are amazingly comfortable and get around 25mpg on the hwy with an LT1 making 275 hp. GM just realized the Bbody was becoming less and less popular and stopped production in 96.

The Marauder is the best modern b body ford has produced. But it took them until 2003 to finally make it. It handles, it actually has some power, and it looks awesome.

The crown vic works as a purpose built vehicle, but even for law enforcement it is way outclassed by 90% of vehicles on the road today. Ford had to have made so much money off the panther platform just reusing the same parts on pretty much 4 cars (Vic, GMQ, MM, and towncar). While there are some differences all 4 cars are practically the same build.

Black_Out
08-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't think fords formula for the GM/CV works, it's just an extremely lazy and cost effective way of producing a "new" model year after year. I mean come on, a V8 that only makes 224 hp? In 2010?? You have to admit that's ridiculous.

gdmjoe
08-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Thought that this pic' was VERY appropriate .....

http://www.gdmjoe.com/miscellaneous/2010mercurygraveyard.jpg

4play
08-28-2010, 10:37 AM
"But turn off the traction control, put the column shifter into Reverse, let the Marquis run out toward its terminal velocity going backward, and this thing does absolutely spectacular Jim Rockford-certified reverse 180s. It's simply a matter of slamming the shifter into Drive in the middle of its twirl and the Grand Marquis waltzes away. So if you're a P.I. and often find yourself running from assorted pissed-off people, the Grand Marquis isn't all bad." DAMN STRAIT! thats why I bought mine, thats all that matters to me.

4play
08-28-2010, 10:48 AM
and that part about driving with your legs open... he must be 12 or missing something because every car I have ever driven i cant close my legs like a girl... hurts too much lol.

wx4caster
08-28-2010, 11:49 AM
lol this formula doesn't "work". The only thing you can do in this car is drive in a straight line, like an elderly person. There are plenty of big body cars that were much better than the Grand Marquis / Crown Vic. Like the Roadmaster. My dad has owned 3 of them. They are amazingly comfortable and get around 25mpg on the hwy with an LT1 making 275 hp. GM just realized the Bbody was becoming less and less popular and stopped production in 96.

The Marauder is the best modern b body ford has produced. But it took them until 2003 to finally make it. It handles, it actually has some power, and it looks awesome.

The crown vic works as a purpose built vehicle, but even for law enforcement it is way outclassed by 90% of vehicles on the road today. Ford had to have made so much money off the panther platform just reusing the same parts on pretty much 4 cars (Vic, GMQ, MM, and towncar). While there are some differences all 4 cars are practically the same build.
I get your point but I don't recall seeing many Roadmasters in the NYC livery or police fleet.

a_d_a_m
08-28-2010, 04:05 PM
The crown vic works as a purpose built vehicle, but even for law enforcement it is way outclassed by 90% of vehicles on the road today. Outclassed or not, if you polled cops across the nation, I guarantee you a majority would still prefer a slower "outclassed" Crown Vic over the Impala or Charger for day-to-day police work.

FordNut
08-28-2010, 04:43 PM
The major flaw in the thinking of the author is assuming that everybody wants or needs a sporty, powerful car. Lots of people want a ROOMY, comfortable, cushy ride and don't particularly care how much power it has or how much body roll it has in corners. Like getting off the sofa in the living room and getting on another sofa in the car and gliding along to your destination.

MrBluGruv
08-28-2010, 05:41 PM
The major flaw in the thinking of the author is assuming that everybody wants or needs a sporty, powerful car. Lots of people want a ROOMY, comfortable, cushy ride and don't particularly care how much power it has or how much body roll it has in corners. Like getting off the sofa in the living room and getting on another sofa in the car and gliding along to your destination.

Huge +1 to this.

Most common mistake I see any of my friends that are gearheads make in their thought process is that every car should be built for going insanely fast.

Fact of the matter is, if you have a car that can reach 70 in an acceptable timeframe from a roll (say about 40-45), your car is plenty fast for civil driving, as I remember the only time I ever NEEDED to punch it back before I had my MM was with my old Galant entering a freeway, and even that little 200HP V6 got moving fast enough to enter fast-moving traffic.

The rest is all about comfort, ease-of-use, and practicality to the end user. That's why any time anyone asks me to recommend a car to them, I ask them what they are planning to do with it first.

On a similar note, I'm probably going to be recommending a crown victoria or grand marquis to my girlfriend for her first car, I figure acceptable power, acceptable fuel economy, and very livable price tag along with GREAT comfort make it a sensible buy.

FordNut
08-28-2010, 06:11 PM
On a similar note, I'm probably going to be recommending a crown victoria or grand marquis to my girlfriend for her first car, I figure acceptable power, acceptable fuel economy, and very livable price tag along with GREAT comfort make it a sensible buy.

Along with a lot of protection and a 5-star safety rating.

LANDY
08-28-2010, 07:01 PM
I also agree with the fact that even tho it only has 224hp, it is livable enough to drive with out complaining that I couldn't get in front of another car on the passing lane.
I had a 97 town car which was the slowest of my previous panther cars and never complaint about lack of power because going fast wasn't its purpose.

SpartaPerformance
08-28-2010, 09:34 PM
I can see why that guy writes for online publication, I got as far as the 2nd paragraph before I fell asleep. If he's slamming the car who's slamming his writing?

Dobs
08-29-2010, 08:33 AM
The crown vic works as a purpose built vehicle, but even for law enforcement it is way outclassed by 90% of vehicles on the road today.

I totally disagree.

This car as been made for interception and it show, nothing come close when it's time to do the job (running on a railroad, pushing a truck out of the road, running offroad, etc.. All this at high speed) Unlike 90% of the vehicules on the road today....

Big Black Beast
08-29-2010, 09:19 PM
These guys are missing the point. Tha GM is and never was about handling or performance. It was always about room and comfort. Sure, it's not exaclty fast, but it's not exactly gutless either. Try driving any '80's auto 4-banger sometime if you want to experience slow. .The power delivery is very linear, more so than the Marauder's "all or nothing" powerband. The way most people drive nowadays, You're lucky to even get up to the rediculously slow posted speed limit anyway.

CBT
08-30-2010, 06:28 AM
i cant close my legs like a girl... hurts too much lol.

That's what she said! No wait, that sounded funnier in my head. Carry on.

babbage
08-30-2010, 07:11 AM
http://www.insideline.com/mercury/grand-marquis/2010/2010-mercury-grand-marquis-ls-ultimate-edition-full-test.html

Ill just keep telling myself how bad it is going 75 mph down the interstate getting 27 mpg with the a/c set on "arctic".

lol - nice trunk picture.

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/mercury/grandmarquis/2010/ft/2010_mercury_grandmarquis_crg_ ft_826101_717.jpg

CBT
08-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Hahahaha!! An Asian guy with a short "shovel", lol.
lol - nice trunk picture.

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/mercury/grandmarquis/2010/ft/2010_mercury_grandmarquis_crg_ ft_826101_717.jpg