PDA

View Full Version : How to get out of a speeding ticket

Motorhead350
08-31-2010, 01:38 AM
I have been pulled over a number of times and haven't gotten a speeding ticket in years. I would like to inform some of you how to talk your way out of one when you get caught.

1. When first pulled over, turn the car off when the police officer is walking to your vehicle. The best place is when they are midway between your car and theirs. They will see you as less of a threat being that you cannot escape as easily anymore now that you engine is off.

2. Have your window down all the way by the time they get there.

3. Keep your hands on the wheel and look at the officer right in the eye.

4. Put your cell phone on silent and never answer it at anytime.

5. If they ask why you were pulled over admit it, you were speeding, but don't say how fast you were going.

6. Speak to the officer with respect. Don't talk to them like they ruined your day, because they sure have the power to.

7. If you have to reach under the seat for an insurance card, be sure to tell them where it is and that you are reaching for it. For all they know you could be reaching for a gun. Police are more in fear of you, they don't know you or how dangerous you can be. If you assure the officer their safety, they will return the favor by being nice to you.

8. If they ask to search the car let them. Unless you actually have something to hide, just let them do it. The more you cooperative you are, the more guilty the officer will feel on writing you up.

9. Don't ever ask for a break or say you were in a rush for anything.

10. Ask how they are doing when they first pull you over. It's a good way to break the ice.

11. Make sure your radio is off.

12. If you are pulled over at night keep your headlights on and turn your interior lights on. This will show you have nothing to hide and the police officer will feel safer or see you as less of a threat.

13. If asked why you were speeding be honest. Even if you were simply "having fun" with the car. Later, mention that you are sorry that you put other people in danger and you realized what you did. You will be more careful and what you did was wrong. Say this before they have a chance to. They will know you know better and you don't need a ticket to be taught that lesion.

Bottom line is honesty and attitude. Do you best to have a positive attitude and do not act like you are getting off. You pretty much need to convince them you are a good person (even if you're not) and make them feel guilty for writing you up.

Never ride dirty either.

This is all coming from my experience. The last 15 of 16 times I have been pulled over I didn't get a ticket or hardly a warning. Not just in IL, but MI, OH, IN, KY and probably a few other states.

Be extra careful with State Troopers. They are a little more difficult.

Hope this helps. Have fun out there. :burnout:

Egon Spengler
08-31-2010, 05:55 AM
It doesn't help because I am going to court today actually to fight a ticket! haha. I know all the stuff you listed above and always am kind to the officer and try to make him aware of his safety, but this officer wasn't having it. So off to court I go!

rayjay
08-31-2010, 05:57 AM
Don't get stopped in the 1st place...

FordNut
08-31-2010, 06:09 AM
If you have a CCW permit, let them know about it whether you're carrying or not.

Note: does not apply in some states/cities such as Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Wisconsin, California...

Joe Walsh
08-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Always address them as "Officer"....UNLESS they are a State Trooper.

If you have been drinking and they ask you, do not tell them that you "only had 2".
Tell them how many you had and over what period of time you were drinking.

Egon Spengler
08-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Always address them as "Officer"....UNLESS they are a State Trooper.
How do you address a trooper?

Motorhead350
08-31-2010, 06:42 AM
If you have a CCW permit, let them know about it whether you're carrying or not.

Note: does not apply in some states/cities such as Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Wisconsin, California...

That is for sure!

FreddieH
08-31-2010, 06:47 AM
How do you address a trooper?Sir works well for Officer or Trooper. Yes Sir, No Sir. It all ways worked on me.

Joe Walsh
08-31-2010, 06:48 AM
How do you address a trooper?

I've made that mistake before. (a long time ago...of course!)

They want to be called "Trooper".

Because they go through more extensive training and ride 'solo' on their patrols, they consider themselves a notch above the County "Officers".

As Freddie pointed out...."Sir" works well with either.

LordVader
08-31-2010, 06:48 AM
Don't get stopped in the 1st place...

Have to agree. In 43 years of driving I have only been stopped three times and two of those times I received tickets. One when I was sixteen and the other one when I was 22. Do I speed, sure we all do. But the question is how much over the limit do you do? I try not exceed 5-7 miles over and it seems to work. I also, try to stay to the right. Seems like you are going slower than you really are. I have two brothers who are "officers" and want them around a while longer so I always would treat other "officers" with courtesy and respect.

Egon Spengler
08-31-2010, 06:49 AM
I've made that mistake before. (a long time ago...of course!)

They want to be called "Trooper".

Because they go through more extensive training and ride 'solo' on their patrols, they consider themselves a notch above the County "Officers".
Thanks! I was going to address him as officer in my court date today! Thanks for the heads up!

Motorhead350
08-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Don't forget to tuck in your shirt.

Joe Walsh
08-31-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks! I was going to address him as officer in my court date today! Thanks for the heads up!

Yep....Make sure to address him with his last name....." Trooper Jones pulled me over...:blah: "

Egon Spengler
08-31-2010, 06:54 AM
Don't forget to tuck in your shirt.
Yeah. I am looking very dapper today! I got some advice from a lawyer friend of my just now, and he said it would probably get dismissed until he heard that I was doing 22 mph over the limit haha. It is worth a shot and we will see what happens!

Egon Spengler
08-31-2010, 06:56 AM
Have to agree. In 43 years of driving I have only been stopped three times and two of those times I received tickets. One when I was sixteen and the other one when I was 22. Do I speed, sure we all do. But the question is how much over the limit do you do? I try not exceed 5-7 miles over and it seems to work. I also, try to stay to the right. Seems like you are going slower than you really are. I have two brothers who are "officers" and want them around a while longer so I always would treat other "officers" with courtesy and respect.
You serious? I have been driving 11 years and have been pulled stopped over 2 dozen times! haha I had a bit of a lead foot. Being a firefighter helped me out of the tickets. I have since lowered it to once a year. I have calmed down, but there always seems to be a cop around on that one instance where I am driving a little aggressive!!

Motorhead350
08-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Sounds like if you are the only one that shows up, it's the only chance you have of completely getting away. Good luck!

Motorhead350
08-31-2010, 06:58 AM
You serious? I have been driving 11 years and have been pulled stopped over 2 dozen times!

+1

It's all that Ricky Nelson music I tell ya.

Egon Spengler
08-31-2010, 07:03 AM
+1

It's all that Ricky Nelson music I tell ya.
"Fools rush in" comes to mind. I was late to work and I was rushing in to work and I was a fool for doing so because I got yanked.

Motorhead350
08-31-2010, 07:18 AM
Waitin' In School for me. I had to get outta there!

Crown Vicman
08-31-2010, 08:05 AM
I have been pulled over a number of times and haven't gotten a speeding ticket in years. I would like to inform some of you how to talk your way out of one when you get caught.

1. When first pulled over, turn the car off when the police officer is walking to your vehicle. The best place is when they are midway between your car and theirs. They will see you as less of a threat being that you cannot escape as easily anymore now that you engine is off.

2. Have your window down all the way by the time they get there.

3. Keep your hands on the wheel and look at the officer right in the eye.

4. Put your cell phone on silent and never answer it at anytime.

5. If they ask why you were pulled over admit it, you were speeding, but don't say how fast you were going.

6. Speak to the officer with respect. Don't talk to them like they ruined your day, because they sure have the power to.

7. If you have to reach under the seat for an insurance card, be sure to tell them where it is and that you are reaching for it. For all they know you could be reaching for a gun. Police are more in fear of you, they don't know you or how dangerous you can be. If you assure the officer their safety, they will return the favor by being nice to you.

8. If they ask to search the car let them. Unless you actually have something to hide, just let them do it. The more you cooperative you are, the more guilty the officer will feel on writing you up.

9. Don't ever ask for a break or say you were in a rush for anything.

10. Ask how they are doing when they first pull you over. It's a good way to break the ice.

11. Make sure your radio is off.

12. If you are pulled over at night keep your headlights on and turn your interior lights on. This will show you have nothing to hide and the police officer will feel safer or see you as less of a threat.

13. If asked why you were speeding be honest. Even if you were simply "having fun" with the car. Later, mention that you are sorry that you put other people in danger and you realized what you did. You will be more careful and what you did was wrong. Say this before they have a chance to. They will know you know better and you don't need a ticket to be taught that lesion.

Bottom line is honesty and attitude. Do you best to have a positive attitude and do not act like you are getting off. You pretty much need to convince them you are a good person (even if you're not) and make them feel guilty for writing you up.

Never ride dirty either.

This is all coming from my experience. The last 15 of 16 times I have been pulled over I didn't get a ticket or hardly a warning. Not just in IL, but MI, OH, IN, KY and probably a few other states.

Be extra careful with State Troopers. They are a little more difficult.

Hope this helps. Have fun out there. :burnout:

LOL Great advice Now then all police out there, if you pull someone over and they use any of these tactics against you. GET THEM!!!!:D

ctrlraven
08-31-2010, 08:18 AM
If you have been drinking and they ask you, do not tell them that you "only had 2".
Tell them how many you had and over what period of time you were drinking.
Just don't drink in the first place or have someone else drive. Some states LEOs might be easier going but come Oct/Nov Maryland is cracking the whip down hard on DWI/DUI offenders.

Joe Walsh
08-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Just don't drink in the first place or have someone else drive. Some states LEOs might be easier going but come Oct/Nov Maryland is cracking the whip down hard on DWI/DUI offenders.

I agree, but if you have had 1 beer or less per hour and then drive home and get pulled over, the old;
"I only had 2 beers" is guaranteed to get you a sobriety test.

ctrlraven
08-31-2010, 03:47 PM
I agree, but if you have had 1 beer or less per hour and then drive home and get pulled over, the old;
You'd be surprised how much the "1 beer an hour" is a myth. I won't go into a spiel about it. Pick my brain about it next time we hang out.

Back to the topic, best way to get out of a ticket is not to get pulled over in the first place, invest in a quality radar detector and keep your eyes peeled in all directions.

tallpaul
08-31-2010, 05:49 PM

Your correct about the CCW. The first time I got pulled over after getting my permit was about two years after I got the permit and I honestly forgot to tell the officer. He told me that I could arrest you on the spot. So, I went home and checked the CCW laws for North Carolina and all he can do is give me a $100 ticket. Some cops are full of it.

guspech750
08-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Good things to know Dom. Considering I have been pulled over I believe 4 times maybe 5 and ticketed 2 or 3 times. Its been a while.

25el3
09-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Motorhead350, you nailed the hammer on the head! most of the time those things work. Just dont appear to be a kiss a$$; make sure you come across sincere.

My biggest pet peeve is when people dont pull to the right. (i.e. they are 500ft from an intersection, I put my lights on (I see them look at me in the rear view mirror) and they proceed to go into a left hand turn lane because that is where they want to go, instead of just pulling to the right) In this case, I could care less who or what you are; I am getting your autograh:beatnik:

BTW, I have pulled over 3 marauders in LA...for some reason, haven't felt the need to recap a cite:beer:, so maybe owning a marauder is a good way to get out of a ticket too.

*and yes, I told them about MM.NET:banana:

FormulaMarauder
09-04-2010, 03:42 PM
I remember about 8 years ago I pulled over a third gen Firehawk. I told him that I wanted to see his T-Ram intake. :D

guspech750
09-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I remember about 8 years ago I pulled over a third gen Firehawk. I told him that I wanted to see his T-Ram intake. :D
Quite awesome considering they built what 25 or 28 Firehawks and only one was a convertible the first go around. Those are truely amazing considering all the options you could have ordered for those third gen Firehawks.

yjmud
09-04-2010, 05:25 PM
radar decetors only let me know I was getting a ticket never could could get out of one with it on my dash

Taemian
09-04-2010, 06:08 PM
#8 is not accurate.

I don't know of a single officer who would ever feel "guilty" for writing you up after he made a legitimate stop. Unless of course your water had broken.
If I felt it neccessary to actually pull you over and go into yellow/orange, you'd get a citation.

Ms. Denmark
09-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Why admit to anything? I have always heard the best response to the question "Do you know why I pulled you over?" is " No officer, I don't know." I'd rather have them tell me rather than blurt out something which only confirms to them that they were right to make the stop and therefore issue a ticket. So far my record is: pulled over twice, ticketed once. Actually what seems to work in my favor is the fact I'm a nurse. :dunno:

breeze
09-04-2010, 07:02 PM
PG County Cops dnt give rats a$$, and the troopers are the worst. smh

LANDY
09-04-2010, 07:40 PM
i always agree with them at the time of a traffic stop, and be respect full. doesnt matter if they give me the ticket or not. i just dont like to be harrased and disrespected. as a minority in my town i have to play by the rules because i stick out like a sore thumb.

Ktorres1
09-04-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm goin to court for a ticket now, cop said I was doin 94mph lol I have a blown coil I can't go 90mph! I tell him that can't be right show me the gun he says it's against the law to show me the gun but then come's back and tells me it's not but he just doesn't have to show me the gun... Welp!!! Were goin to court, win or lose ain't no way in hell I'm doin 94mph passing an intersection and don't know it!

scruff
09-04-2010, 08:55 PM

yes i agree 100% what i have learned from experince is to always answer no sir when asked if you have been drinking

scruff
09-04-2010, 09:02 PM
i always agree with them at the time of a traffic stop, and be respect full. doesnt matter if they give me the ticket or not. i just dont like to be harrased and disrespected. as a minority in my town i have to play by the rules because i stick out like a sore thumb.
thats a pretty lame excuse playing the minority card EH!

BUCKWHEAT
09-05-2010, 06:43 AM
I got a ticket in '82 and another in '99. The Valentine 1 has kept me out of trouble on a number of occassions. Most recently in eastern Oklahoma on Rte 69, a small town officer was shooting radar from about a football field off the road in some trees, where he could see you coming but you didn't expect to see him that far off the road.

The radar detector's biggest value is to remind me of speed. It's easy to be distracted and surprised. Try teaching that to your 19 yr old grand-daughter. "Gee Grandpa, I looked down and I was doing 85"

On the point about letting the officer search you vehicle; if he asks, I would demure. It's all downside and no upside comparing a speeding ticket to a drug charge because he "found" a controlled substance while he looks in your trunk and you sit in the car with your hands on the wheel. Your response might be " Officer, do you have some reasonable cause to be looking for something specific?" This won't help on the ticket, but you have only that instant to size up the honesty and integrety of the officer. Most are good guys, but....

LANDY
09-05-2010, 06:51 AM
M
thats a pretty lame excuse playing the minority card EH!to this comment above, let's just say you don't know a thing.