PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Blowout

BLACKMARAUDER04
09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I am on my may to Irvine last night, a 60 mile drive. About half way there my right rear tire blew out going 70 in the far left lane next to the Diamond lane. Luckily, I was able to get to the right shoulder. The tire seperated around the rim into 2 pieces. The tires had 17,000 miles on them and were typically worn in the middle. Turned around and drove home going no faster than 55 on the freeway. My brake light, ABS light and traction control light (I had turned it off) were all on at the same time with the mini spear on. Called Costco. They were able to order 2 new rear tires at $208 each plus installation and tax. I also went over there and they mounted a spare tire I kept in my garage (in case of a blowout)
to the rim at no charge so I could drive without the mini spare on the car.
They did this at 8:15 last night. Thanks to them, I was able to drive normally till the tires come in (hopefully Thursady).

Blk Mamba
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
do you have any idea what the cause of the blow out was?

88LTDCV351
09-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I got one set of my tires at Costco. However, thier prices keep going up for these tires and I emailed them to ask why the price keeps going up since I was needing new rear tires again already. They never responded of course. So I got my last set at the America Tire/Discount Tire who will match the Tirerack cheaper price of $184 per rear tire. Even with TireRack shipping for me, the price would have been lower than Costco at about $194 per rear tire.

tbone
09-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Some of Costcos products are not such great deals. And I don't need a 10 year supply of mayonaisse.

BLACKMARAUDER04
09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
The only thing I can think that would have caused the tire to blow was that the middle was worn down. Maybe the tread was even lower than I thought it was. Last year when our tires were not available, I drove 10,000 miles on bald rear tires.

Costco does not always have the lowest prices, but they took care of me (by mounting the spare tire on the rim) when I needed them. They also are open to 8:30 m-f. I spend a lot of money there and they all know the Marauder. It is very convienent. I also purchased my replacement battery from Costco. Last year when the tires were out of stock, I paid discount tire $194 for each tire plus $20 to balanace and mount. Not much difference in price. Plus as I said earlier, they are open late and on weekends too.

I had a nail in the sidewall on one of my tires a couple of years ago. They ordered me a new one and it cost me $1 to replace. That tire had 8,000 miles on it. They only last 15,000.

Black_Out
09-03-2010, 06:37 PM
That sucks, I can get a pair of rear OEM BFG's for 250$.