PDA

View Full Version : Pulleys

Ross
12-04-2003, 03:32 PM
If I put on DR's underdrive pulleys, do I use the same size belt, or do the different size pulleys need a different belt?

TAF
12-04-2003, 03:35 PM
No belt change. Only change the crank pulley and the water pump pulley. Do not change/use the alternator pulley that comes with the kit. (It's the same size and not "capped" like the factory one)...except as maybe a paperweight.

Petrograde
12-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks Todd!..... why?

Tom

Ross
12-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Thanks, Todd. I'm looking at all of my options in case Santa is nice!

Ross
12-04-2003, 03:52 PM
As I understand it, you don't want your alternator speed to slow down and have undercharging, right?

RF Overlord
12-04-2003, 04:01 PM
As TAF said, you continue to use the stock serpentine belt...

My understanding of why we don't replace the alternator pulley has something to do with it being a special type that disengages or slips automatically at WOT...something like that...

TAF
12-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
As TAF said, you continue to use the stock serpentine belt...

My understanding of why we don't replace the alternator pulley has something to do with it being a special type that disengages or slips automatically at WOT...something like that...

The alternator in the Marauder was a 1st to have a "clutch" on it. It does actually shutdown at WOT. The main reason for not replacing it with the Steeda replacement is that it's the same size and like I said, it does not have the little cap on it.

I can't recommend the pullies enough. Even if you want to stay "stock"...I guarantee you that 99 out of 100 wrenches would NEVER notice them. But you'll notice the 10-12 RWHP.

Petrograde
12-04-2003, 04:11 PM
ooohhhh,... ok! Thanks for the clarification guys!

Tom

PS- hey Todd,... I'm thinking about powder coating my pullies!

Ross
12-04-2003, 04:18 PM
Todd, do you just put these on with an impact wrench? Have to take out the radiator or anything to get to them?

Marauderman
12-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Hey Todd---We need to get Scott fro Team Ford On this board for casual talks---wouldn't that be nice!!

TAF
12-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Ross
Todd, do you just put these on with an impact wrench? Have to take out the radiator or anything to get to them?

Ross...you just made several members here chuckle with the thought of me and a wrench in the same sentence. I don't turn wrenches...but the BEST Marauder Wrench in the World happens to work at Team Ford of Marietta, GA. He did them in about 7-10 minutes using a lift and an impact wrench. It took him longer to tell me to get back to the waiting room and out of his bay then it did to make the switch.

Agent M79
12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Aw now, Todd, he was patient with me and the boy when we stopped by. We must be pleasant company... well... the boy is anyway.

TAF
12-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Petrograde
PS- hey Todd,... I'm thinking about powder coating my pullies!

"the bluest pullies in Texas...are haunting me tonight"

J/K Tom...be sure to post pics...

Ross
12-05-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by TAF
Ross...you just made several members here chuckle with the thought of me and a wrench in the same sentence. I don't turn wrenches...but the BEST Marauder Wrench in the World happens to work at Team Ford of Marietta, GA. He did them in about 7-10 minutes using a lift and an impact wrench. It took him longer to tell me to get back to the waiting room and out of his bay then it did to make the switch.

Todd, I'm just trying to enhance your macho, grease-under-the-fingernails image!

P.S. Somehow, I know that Marty will chime in on this one!:lol:

junehhan
12-07-2003, 11:07 PM
If the alternator "disengages" at WOT, isn't that going to potentially cause issues if you go WOT a lot? That would mean that the ignition, and any electrical would be working off of the battery, right?

jparrie
12-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by TAF
The alternator in the Marauder was a 1st to have a "clutch" on it. It does actually shutdown at WOT.

The alternator looks quite small to have a clutch in it.

Is it actually a mechanical clutch, or is there a switch that cuts power to the field coils at WOT?

I have used the switch trick on several of my old hot rods back in 70's.

Jim

carfixer
12-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Reading this peaked my interest. I've never heard of such a thing. I found the following reference to it in the "online" shop manual. Very interesting. (copy and paste of info):

All Marauder 4.6L 4V applications are equipped with a one-way clutch (OWC) in the generator pulley. The OWC pulley temporarily disengages the generator rotor from the front end accessory drive (FEAD) system during high acceleration/deceleration rates on the engine, which may increase belt life and decrease belt chirp. A new OWC pulley and generator/voltage regulator must be installed as an assembly.

TAF
12-08-2003, 07:50 PM
What? You guys didn't believe us?:(

carfixer
12-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Oh, I believe! :)

I learn more about the MM from this board than Ford's training literature. Oh yeah, Ford didn't put out any MM training literature for their techs.:mad:

bob35222
12-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Carfixer, Could you post the link to the online manual? Thanks, Bob

carfixer
12-08-2003, 09:13 PM
The manuals are part of Ford's website for their techicians and access is passworded.
Genuine Ford service manuals are available on CD and DVD and are available on E-bay. Search "Ford Manual DVD". I think the Marauder is available in DVD format only.

junehhan
12-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by carfixer
Reading this peaked my interest. I've never heard of such a thing. I found the following reference to it in the "online" shop manual. Very interesting. (copy and paste of info):

All Marauder 4.6L 4V applications are equipped with a one-way clutch (OWC) in the generator pulley. The OWC pulley temporarily disengages the generator rotor from the front end accessory drive (FEAD) system during high acceleration/deceleration rates on the engine, which may increase belt life and decrease belt chirp. A new OWC pulley and generator/voltage regulator must be installed as an assembly.

If that's the case, does that mean that during a track event, you might die out since you're constantly going WOT and braking? I guess in a track event, you would be constantly experiencing heavy rapid engine acceleration and deceleration..........

Or what about when you just feel like going for a high speed run on an open stretch of highway with no traffic, and you keep it floored for a long time? Without the alternator, wouldn't keep drain the battery really fast?

RF Overlord
12-09-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by junehhan

Or what about when you just feel like going for a high speed run on an open stretch of highway with no traffic, and you keep it floored for a long time? Without the alternator, wouldn't keep drain the battery really fast?

june:

I think the words "during high acceleration/deceleration rates" are the key...it only unlocks when you're changing engine RPMs rapidly...if you just sat at a constant speed, it would be engaged.

As far as operation at a track, I suppose if you did enough runs back-to-back you could have an issue...some racers bring a battery charger with them, but I believe we have a few members here who have done multiple runs in succession, and no one has mentioned anything about charging problems....

Dennis Reinhart
12-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Actualy what we do is kill the Alternatot at WOT but id battery Voltage falls below 12.5 volts it comes back on even at WOT

CRUZTAKER
12-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Ross

Tod wasn't able to answer this question as he takes his car to the 'awesome mechanic....I don't have one of those handy:P

Dennis, can you answer this question? Is this a mod I (we) can do in our driveway?

Barry

Dennis Reinhart
12-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
Tod wasn't able to answer this question as he takes his car to the 'awesome mechanic....I don't have one of those handy:P

Dennis, can you answer this question? Is this a mod I (we) can do in our driveway?

Barry

Not unless you have the puller and a Impact gun, it can be done wth out a impact gun there is a trick to it

RF Overlord
12-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Reinhart
it can be done wth out a impact gun there is a trick to it

Can you say: "Chain wrench"? :D

CRUZTAKER
12-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks Dennis:)

BillyGman
12-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Reinhart
Actualy what we do is kill the Alternatot at WOT but id battery Voltage falls below 12.5 volts it comes back on even at WOT

AAAAAHHH, so that's why I've noticed that my headlights get a little dim momentarily when I stomp on the gas pedal at night when I'm on the highway.:) I was wondering about that........

as far as the questions about the possibility of draining your battery........no way. Even if you drive your car hard every day that you're in it, there's no way that you ever even keep it at WOT for anymore than 15-20 seconds at a time. And 15-20 seconds will not drain any battery. Furthermore 20 seconds is a very small fraction of the time that you're driving your car at all other throttle positions. So even if the alternator did stay disengaged for the entire time that you're at WOT, there's no way that it would drain your battery even if you're at the track.

At the track even the drive back to the parking lot in the return lane takes much longer than the 12-15 seconds that you're at WOT during the quartermile run.

Allowing your car to sit for long periods of time would drain the battery before any WOT would.

FordNut
12-15-2003, 06:45 AM
I know the MM is different from a Mark VII, but a couple of weeks ago the belt broke on the wife's Mark VII. She was following me and I saw it hanging below the car. We drove for 20 miles before we stopped. As long as we were able to keep our speed up it didn't overheat, I guess the air blowing across the radiator and fan was making the fan drive the water pump. When we got into traffic it started getting hot so we stopped. The battery never drained down enough to make a difference. I replaced the alternator and belt and it started right up.

Moral of story: If the battery is good, shutting off the alternator even for several minutes won't run it down.