PDA

View Full Version : Don't Forget the Radios

Bluerauder
09-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I know that the Marauderville regulars will remember to bring their FRS/GMRS radios. MM.Net Channel 5.

For the newcomers to Marauderville and MM.Net events, it is a good thing to bring along a set of radios for the convoys. It allows you to keep track of the convoy, get a "heads-up" on a lane change or a turn coming up. It's also a way to chat and chatter enroute to the various events. Even just listening is pretty interesting.

If you don't have a set of FRS/GMRS radios, you can pick up an inexpensive set at Best Buy, Target, or other big box stores.

I have a set of Motorola T6500 since MV III .... 5 years and going strong.

Don't miss out on the real convoy action. Get yourself some radios.

Channel 5 ............. the Official Channel of Marauders Everywhere

SC Cheesehead
09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
I know that the Marauderville regulars will remember to bring their FRS/GMRS radios. MM.Net Channel 5.

For the newcomers to Marauderville and MM.Net events, it is a good thing to bring along a set of radios for the convoys. It allows you to keep track of the convoy, get a "heads-up" on a lane change or a turn coming up. It's also a way to chat and chatter enroute to the various events. Even just listening is pretty interesting.

If you don't have a set of FRS/GMRS radios, you can pick up an inexpensive set at Best Buy, Target, or other big box stores.

Charlie's right, FRS radios are a great thing to have for a Marauder convoy.

I picked up a set a couple years back, I've got Cobras, well pleased with them.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cobra+-+microTALK+18-Mile+FRS/GMRS+2-Way+Radio+(Pair)/9206968.p?id=1218058779917&skuId=9206968&st=FRS%20radios&cp=1&lp=9

thathotrodlincn
09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Will UNIDEN work OK?

MM03MOK
09-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Sure. Any "Family Radio Service" radio will work fine.

W4LTD
09-03-2010, 10:37 PM

FCC GMRS License Information

If you are purchasing/using a two way radio that operates using GMRS frequencies and plan to use it withing the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires that you register for a GMRS license.

Why do I need an FCC license?
In the United States, the FCC regulates the frequencies that are used by devices like two way radios. The FCC requires that anyone operating a device on the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) obtain a license prior to use.

How do I apply for a GMRS FCC license?
A GMRS license requires that you complete FCC form 159 and form 605. These forms can be found on the FCC forms page.

You can also apply for a GMRS license online at the FCC Universal License System (ULS) web site.

Is there a charge for a GMRS license?
Yes. The FCC currently charges a $85.00 fee for GMRS licenses. Some applications, such as government entities, are exempt from this fee. A license is valid for five years.

I need a radio, but I don't want to pay for a license. What can I do?
Almost all GMRS radios also support FRS frequencies, which can be used without a license. Channels 8-14 on a typical 22 channel consumer radio are reserved exclusively for FRS. These channels can be used license-free, but are limited to a half watt of transmit power and will have limited range.

Bluerauder
09-04-2010, 03:51 AM
[B]FCC GMRS License Information

If you are purchasing/using a two way radio that operates using GMRS frequencies and plan to use it withing the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires that you register for a GMRS license.

"While GMRS Radio and FRS Radio are similar in nature, there are several distinct differences between the two services. GMRS Radio typically operates on a range of eight unique channels. These channels are uniquely specified by the FCC. These range from channel 15 to channel 22. The maximum power usage is fifty watts, but the radios that are used to communicate with others usually have a rating in power of 1.0 watt to 5.0 watts. The FRS Radio usually operates over a section of fourteen channels, the range being from channel 1 to channel 14. The channels are only used with FRS Radio. The maximum power that can be used on this type of radio service is only ½ watt. Also, it is required that you acquire an FCC license to broadcast on GMRS Radio channels. This is not required for the FRS Radio channels."

Channels 15-22 are unique to GMRS and require the FCC license according to the above information. As I recall, Channel 5 is a shared FRS/GMRS band. FRS operates on Channels 1-14. The radios only operate in the low power mode in that range. My read on this is that no license is required in that 1-14 range -- only in the 15-22 GMRS only bands.

Use of Channel 5 has never been an issue.

If this is still an issue for you ... suggest that you get a set of FRS only radios. You will be able to use Channel 5 "worry free".

To be perfectly honest, I had the same questions you have several years ago and I got the FCC license just to be safe. Since then I have come to the conclusion that I had just pizzed away $60.00 to ease my conscience. Now the license appears to have gone up to $85.00.

rayjay
09-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Yep have mine from the past. Just need to put new batteries in.

W4LTD
09-04-2010, 10:57 AM
mode in that range. My read on this is that no license is required in that 1-14 range -- only in the 15-22 GMRS only bands.

Use of Channel 5 has never been an issue.

A Clarification...

GMRS licensees are also able to use the first 7 FRS frequencies (the "interstitial" GMRS frequencies), but at the lower 5 watt maximum power output, for a total of 15 channels. FRS channels 8 through 14 are not available for GMRS use; use of these frequencies requires an FRS transceiver.
Recently, hybrid FRS/GMRS consumer radios have been introduced with 22 channels, instead of the 14 channels associated with FRS. On this type of radio, channels 8-14 are strictly license-free FRS channels. Transmitting on all channels above channel 14 requires a license. Transmitting on the shared FRS/GMRS channels 1-7 requires a license, if using more than ½-watt. It is the responsibility of the radio user to read and understand all applicable rules and regulations regarding GMRS. These hybrid radios are often referred to as "bubble pack" radios, since they are often packed in a plastic shell, for hanging on a display shelf. The massive flooding of these radios have led to a term known as "bubble-pack pirates", persons who use GMRS without a license.
The FCC rules for use of hybrid radios on channels 1-7 require licensing only when operating under the rules that apply to the GMRS. Many hybrid radios have an ERP that is lower than ½-watt on channels 1-7, or can be set by the user to operate at low power on these channels. This allows hybrid radios to be used under the license free FRS rules if the ERP is less than ½-watt and the unit is certified for FRS operation.

CBT
09-05-2010, 06:38 AM
**** a walkie talkie tax.