PDA

View Full Version : A job resume'

merkathomas
09-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I've never wrote out a resume before...but its a plant here that's hiring for a position that doesn't require any college education but u need a resume..wat kind of things should put on my resume to better my chances or wat does well written resume consist of?

Mr. Man
09-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Correct spelling is a biggie

J-MAN
09-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Contact the State job services, not sure about your state but MI helps with resumes.

sailsmen
09-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Anything that would make you appear to be motivated and stable. I know you will get advice that will tell you not to put marital status, charity involvement, etc. That is BS.

fastblackmerc
09-05-2010, 08:52 PM

+1!!

Make sure you use a spell checker.

tallpaul
09-05-2010, 08:55 PM

And correct english.

BAD MERC
09-05-2010, 09:07 PM
And correct english.

And proper capitalization of words like.... English.

Vortex
09-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Correct grammar and spelling, have some other folks double check it for you. Keep it down to one page.

1stMerc
09-05-2010, 10:19 PM
If you use Microsoft Office there free resume wizards under Word, that will help you construct and assist with spelling, punctuation, and types of resumes.

GAMike
09-05-2010, 10:58 PM
On the top of your resume always put your Contact information Address, Phone #'s and email....

List your High School with gpa if it was respectable.

Like Sail says, activities that showcase integrity, honor, and work ethic.

Provide references, from people you have worked for, and who will vouch for your character and performance in the work place and as a person....

Good luck with your qwest........ Its not where you come from that matters.... Its where you are going :beer:

burtreynolds
09-05-2010, 11:27 PM
A friend of mine had a couple years in a good college, but fraternity kept him from going all the way (I say it was his friends Jack, Johnny, Jose and the good Captain), but acquired a great paying upper level job at a nationally known insurance company by getting in the door as a rep. His resume I believe made is interview.

He listed things like charity work he participated in, social clubs he was in, if you were ever a Boy Scout list your rank...eagle scout is a BIG BIG turn on to HR people. On top of that you should have a section listed as abilities or work skills. Here list everything you know you are good at such as mechanical aptitude, electronics, QWERTY keyboard, Software/Hardware, PC/Mac proficient as well as things such as "Dedicated and Loyal worker with no fear of overtime, weekends or extra load to get the job done(from my personal resume and his)." Statements that show you are confident that you can be the VERY BEST employee the person could hire at that time, while not being cocky will go far.

You must remember, in order for you to maintain job security, you must make your boss look not good, but GREAT to his higher ups. If an HR person feels that you will make them look GREAT for hiring you, you then have your foot in the door. The next part is the hard part though, delivery of the promises made in your resume.

EDIT: If you would like, I could PM you my resume and let you take a look at it. If you would like to use it as a format for yours, you are welcome to.

burt ragio
09-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Don't waste your time no one retires with a gold watch. At your age learn a trade become your oun boss or go to college & get minimum BS degree. What ever you do you must find joy in your work to be successful. We all create our own destiny.

Go2GuyFL
09-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Be sure you check out both of these links as they will GREATLY help you:

http://www.manager-tools.com/resume-review

- AND -

http://www.manager-tools.com/2005/10/your-resume-stinks

... and resume' should be only one page.

B.C. Bake
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Correct grammar and spelling, have some other folks double check it for you. Keep it down to one page.

+1 You can even get away with two pages, but keep it short and to the point.:)

tbone
09-06-2010, 12:41 PM

Amen............

merkathomas
09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I do know a trade I been welding for 3 years I just wanna try something new

Midnight
09-06-2010, 03:35 PM
My resume always says i am "lead" everything.

Lead Sales Representitive, Lead Waiter, Lead Asswiper....

Whatever it is, having "Lead" doesnt imply you were a manager, it just says you knew a few more things then the other guys.