PDA

View Full Version : Superchips Tuner INSTALLED!!!

LVMarauder
12-05-2003, 02:16 PM
I got my SCMT from Wes Today. only took 4 days to get here =) Installation is a breeze. Im about to go feel what it does =) As you can tell Im all smiles. Thanks for a great group buy Wes!

wchain
12-05-2003, 02:19 PM
SWEET! Glad to hear you got it so quick!

Wes

GarageMahal
12-05-2003, 02:38 PM
I installed the default configuration yesterday as well. So far I really like it but have not been able to give it a good workout (snowed last night)

What I noticed so far is the vastly improved shifting. Prior to the tuner I always had OD off at speeds under 60 (thats MPH for the Canuks) to keep the tranny from shifting constantly.

Driving in rush hour traffic with the new tune was actually pleasant. The car now up and down shifts very nicely and at proper times. I also notice that I get a little engine braking in OD now which I really like since I hate using the brakes on the freeway. It seems like the torque converter stays locked but I really don't know enough to say for sure.

I really just know that I like it!

jta

LVMarauder
12-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Wow. What do stock Marauders run RWHP and RWTQ from the factory? Im going to go get mine dynotuned after gears to see what Im pushing. I definetly noticed some etra UMMPH at all speed, didnt reall get to go too crazy but its nice, There is a big difference in shifting as well, all for the better. Ill be exploring custom options like the 180 thermostat once I buy one. I had no idea these came with that option.

SergntMac
12-05-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by LVMarauder
What do stock Marauders run RWHP and RWTQ from the factory?

These numbers are still kind of a guess, LV, because we don't have any solid 411 to work with. A "fresh out of the wrapper" MM is so tight, I'd expect a 25 percent drive-line loss from the factory flywheel numbers. Dyno a bone stock MM with 5-7K on the street, and I would expect a 20 percent drive-line loss.

I believe that most owners here would agree that a bone stock MM will dyno out at 240-250 RWHP, and 260-265 RWTQ.

You can calculate it yourself, but the drive-line loss is where we get lost.

Congrats on your SCT tuner, please keep us posted on it's features and capabilities?

joflewbyu2
12-05-2003, 08:56 PM
LVMarauder, do you have 180 stat settings? my custom settings were just shift points 1-2, 2-3 & 3-4 along with shift firmness for the same shifts and gear ratio choices of stock, 2.73 3.08 3.27 3.55 3.73 3.90 4.10 & 4.30. Didn't find tire size ratio either? anyone have/find tire size ratio in their SCMT. after 2 days with the SCMT ""WOW A WOW !!" DEFINATE STRONGER MIDRANGE PULL AND AWESOME SHIFT POINTS/RESPONSE/SHIFT SPEED AND FIRMNESS !!!

67435animal
12-06-2003, 02:53 AM
I'm going to install the SCMT program today. Is everyone going with the default settings for now? If not, what have you found that improves the program. I am totally stock at this point.

Thanks.

Bob

67435animal
12-07-2003, 04:45 AM
I installed the new software yesterday. I do not notice a great difference but there is a difference. The shifts are slightly firmer.

What I am going to do next is adjust the shift pressure to make them even firmer and to modify the shift timing so it shifts even later.

Very easy install. All I had to do was plug it in and watch.

Bob

Petrograde
12-07-2003, 05:16 AM
what exactly can you tune,.. what other variables other than gear ratios and shift points?

Thanks!

Tom

67435animal
12-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Tom, I edited the tuner options that I left set as defaults yesterday, and, there are not a lot variables you can modify for each parameter (mainly you can choose Min = stock or Max). I did set my shift firmess to Max for all shifts and my upshifts for all gears to Max.

I took the car out after tuning the second time and the shifts are firmer but are still nowhere near as stiff as they are in my 442 (the 442 is so firm that at WOT between 1-2 the tires will chirp severely - grin - and the back end will sway). The MM is not like that but it now shifts very nicely.

The throttle response seems even stronger with my second attempt at tuning. I watched the tach and it was still in second gear at 6500rpm. I can feel more umph in the seat of my pants.

So, for 285.00 dollars, the tuner is worth it. I don't think it is worth the 419.00 list that Superchips wants but it does a good job at modifying what I want modified without the expense of a chip.

FYI, I am a 300A, originally with BMD0 stock programming (backed up on the tuner). The 300B I mentioned that I drove earlier in my PM to you was a CRD1 (as I recall). The 300B had a softer and earlier shift and throttle response was no where near as good as mine was after the first tune.

You can set your car for 91 octane, shift points (Stock - Max), shift firmness (Stock - Max), and rear gear. That's basically it.

I hope this helps.

Ask any other questions you want.

Bob

joflewbyu2
12-07-2003, 09:05 PM
67435animal, I did the same at 1st. Entered the custom settings and then set them all to max. I test ran and found it was shifting at 6500 but was flat after 6200 - the last 300 really dragged out. I wanted to go back to all Superchips settings for the car and found that after the MAX setting for each section there was Superchips next. Superchips settings were not MAX for all parametrs. 1st -2nd shift was at 6200 and firmness were different too.

MapleLeafMerc
12-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by 67435animal
I am totally stock at this point.
Bob

C'mon, Bob- I heard those NEW speakers;)

67435animal
12-08-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by joflewbyu2@aol.
67435animal, I did the same at 1st. Entered the custom settings and then set them all to max. I test ran and found it was shifting at 6500 but was flat after 6200 - the last 300 really dragged out. I wanted to go back to all Superchips settings for the car and found that after the MAX setting for each section there was Superchips next. Superchips settings were not MAX for all parametrs. 1st -2nd shift was at 6200 and firmness were different too.

So, you like 'Superchips' defaults better for the shift settings, right? Did you leave the shift firmness at Max? I like the Max for firmness but I may retry the Superchips setttings for shift timing.

Bob

67435animal
12-08-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by MapleLeafMerc
C'mon, Bob- I heard those NEW speakers;)

Larry, are you gonna do it? You need better sounds, man!

Did you get your tips yet? Might want to wait until spring so that winter doesn't mess them up. I had to clean mine after the drive home from TO.

Bob

Petrograde
12-08-2003, 05:19 AM
Thanks Bob! :up:

I'll ask Santa for it! lol

Tom

67435animal
12-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Petrograde
Thanks Bob! :up:

I'll ask Santa for it! lol

Tom

Tom, cool. Make sure Santa calls Wes. He has the best price on the tuner. If you can plug in your TV set, you can set up your car with the tuner. It is easier to program than a VCR!!

Bob

PS-let us know what you discover; the results may vary a bit depending on your stock program. The final result will be the same but what you notice will be different than mine; I WAS a BMD0 which I believe was the initial stock MM software program.

Petrograde
12-08-2003, 05:32 AM
My EEC Code is also BMD0. 300A like yours, I hope I get similar results!

Tom

67435animal
12-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Tom, you will love it. I promise!

Bob

bryanknie
12-08-2003, 06:13 AM
I have had the superchips tuner for about 5 months now and have try many different settings, the out of the box Supertuner setting seem to work the best for me too. Just my personal seat of the pants preference, yours may be different.