PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 Girdle Avail without the "SVO" Logo....

wchain
12-08-2003, 10:14 AM
For those of you lookin for an 8.8" Girdle without the big "SVO" on the back cover, I have stumbled upon a cover the Local Motorsport Dealer has that is made by the manufacturer of the SVO Girdle. The engraving is a lot lighter than the SVO Engraving and can probably be ground off, for those that are into customizing it....

Here's a Pic:

http://images4.fotki.com/v46/photos/4/41821/142907/girdle1-vi.jpg

Just an FYI For y'all.

Agent M79
12-08-2003, 10:28 AM
And speaking for one of those taking delivery of one of these and is interested in modifying it...

Does any know how to polish this part up so it sparkles and shines? Or, probably a better option, a shop that can do it for me?

Also would like to grind off the TA Performance logo and put some custom designed engraving there.

I think this all might be a touch beyond me and my Dremel.

Agent M79
12-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Anybody? Shiny Shiny?

CRUZTAKER
12-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Look in the yelow pages for chrome plating...we have a company up the street that will plate nearly anything you can afford to haul in.

Agent M79
12-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Hmm. Think it would have to be plated? I thought perhaps just polished. Like the valve covers.

Petrograde
12-09-2003, 05:36 PM
hey Agent,....

Try a die grinder with a buffer wheel.... I use one to remove rust and deep scratches from Apache helicopter parts.

Tomorrow I'll look to see what grit it is.... It works like a charm!

Tom

wchain
12-09-2003, 05:48 PM
BLING BLING!

Petrograde
12-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by wchain
The engraving is a lot lighter than the SVO Engraving and can probably be ground off, for those that are into customizing it....

Hey Wes,...

Would ya know about how deep it's engraved? Just curious.. it looks about .015"-.020"..

Anyone who does this themselves should remember: after you put your custom engraving on it be sure to have it treated with Alodine, the aluminum will corrode without it! It would be a shame to do all that work and a few months later have it turn out all pitted and stained!

Just an FYI.

Tom

gonzo50
12-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by joflewbyu2@aol.
Ford's SVO cover is made by www.taperformance.com The earlier girdles said "SVO", the newer ones say "Ford Racing".
Is that the same one that TA Performance makes ?
Do you have the newer version with the flushed bolts for the end caps ?
Check out this site: www.taperformance.com :up:

Agent M79
12-09-2003, 06:15 PM
gonzo50,

It is a TA Performance part.

I have no idea what flushed bolts and end caps are but I'll snap a pic of it with the bolts before I do anything (if) to them. Then you can tell me if they are or not.

The flat part with the engraving is the shine I'd like on the whole part including the bolts if possible.

gonzo50
12-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Agent M79, Actually the proper term is "Recessed load bolts" Thanks.

Agent M79
12-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by gonzo50
..."Recessed load bolts"...

I hope I can take something for that. Sounds uncomfortable.

RCSignals
12-10-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Agent M79
Hmm. Think it would have to be plated? I thought perhaps just polished. Like the valve covers.

You could have a machine shop mill off the engraving, then take and have it polished.

wchain
12-10-2003, 07:31 AM
Petro,
Looks to me that you could take it off with a grinding disc, not deep at all.

Wes.

Originally posted by Petrograde
Hey Wes,...

Would ya know about how deep it's engraved? Just curious.. it looks about .015"-.020"..

Anyone who does this themselves should remember: after you put your custom engraving on it be sure to have it treated with Alodine, the aluminum will corrode without it! It would be a shame to do all that work and a few months later have it turn out all pitted and stained!

Just an FYI.

Tom

Ross
12-10-2003, 08:46 AM
I was going to suggest a machine shop, too. It would be easy to grind off the lettering at home, but it probably wouldn't come out completely smooth and even. A machine shop could mount it on some sort of mill or other machine and remove a tiny layer at a time, very evenly, until the lettering is gone. Then the polishing will be easy because the surface is already so smooth.

joflewbyu2
12-10-2003, 08:51 AM
ALRIGHT, we seen the "SVO" (which I have) and the "TA PERFORMACE" logos, how about the newer "FORD RACING" made by ta performance. "FORD RACING" replaced the older "SVO" logo.

MMM2003
12-10-2003, 09:08 AM
I have access to a mill and engraving software. If anyone wants to order one and send it to me, I'll try to mill off the old engraving and put a custom engraving on.
Nothing fancy on the custom engraving just lettering.
I'll try one for free, if there is more interest, I'll have to pay my guys a little something for there efforts.
I guess, I can also check with my local plating shop and see what they would charge.
PM me if interested.

Agent M79
12-10-2003, 05:12 PM
It's gonna be here tooooomorro-o-o-o-o-ow!

wchain
12-10-2003, 05:31 PM
What are the UPS Stalking laws in your state? :)

Glad its gonna be there tomorrow! WHOOP!

Agent M79
12-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Alrighty. Part received.

The engravable area has about 5.25" x 1" of usable space (after the current engraving is ground off) so I will come up with a few ideas for that.

As for polishing or chroming the rest of it, I dunno. The rest of the surfaces have a rough texture comparable to cheap rough construction paper or medium fine sand paper. Having never polished or plated anything like this, I have no idea how much work it would take.

gonzo50, it does have the load bolts you mentioned. I'll snap some pics tonight so you can see how they did that.

Agent M79
12-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Gonzo50,

Turns out recessed load bolts are not a serious medical condition. Here's what it looks like inside and out:

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=500/1096FMS641.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=500/1096FMS640.jpg

It's a beefy part.

Now that it is in my hands, I am sure it can be engraved and I am pretty sure it would be cost prohibitive to try to smooth out the rough surfaces. I'll look into the engraving and if I can afford it, I'll post what I do with it!

Thanks to Mac for the detailed adviced on why to get one, Wes for sourcing it for me, and the rest y'all too!

RCSignals
12-13-2003, 11:14 PM
If you want t try to prepare it for polishing, and polish it, you can probably get everything you need from Eastwood

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/

gonzo50
12-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Agent M79
Gonzo50,

Turns out recessed load bolts are not a serious medical condition. Here's what it looks like inside and out:
Hey Agent M79, thats a good looking piece of "piece of mind" hardware.
I like the logo that comes engraved on it, when I get mine I'll leave it like it is. :up:

MMdriver03
12-15-2003, 06:56 AM
I like the one with the logo and the drain hole at the bottom...That would look awesome on my 03 black!!!!!!!:coolman:

VandaLL
02-17-2004, 02:16 PM
i don't know if anyone has dealt with TA aside from this rear-end unit, but as a Buick guy i can certainly attest to their quality! i have been in their facility in Scottsdale, AZ and they continue to come out with some amazing parts.. aluminum stage 1-4 heads, 455 block girdles, exhaust systems, etc, etc...
:banana2: