PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie?

mensrea
07-21-2002, 10:51 AM
Hello everyone... because of this site I recently took delivery of my Marauder. I LOVE IT.

I have a couple of questions that may have already been answered (I did try to read every post). I would really like to know the difference before and after when installing the chip/gears. And how much??? I am really considering these additions but want to know what to expect having never changed gears or chips in any of my cars before. I know that the driveshaft becomes "unstable" above 120, so that will be a definite addition. I have already called Kenny Brown and Roush and am on their wait list for a supercharger (yep I called Dennis as well).

Also, did someone on here say that their dealer changed the gears for them, does that mean the warranty is still in place? What about the chip. I am not familiar with the Magnusson Moss act so am curious to see what happens to the factory warranty. If you modify does it blow the entire warranty, or just the warranty for the replaced part. Is this a concern?

Check out this link for a brief discussion of Mag/Moss

Car Talk discussion of Mag/Moss (http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2000/July/04.html)

Logan
07-21-2002, 11:14 AM
With 4.10's, you'll immediately notice a much quicker acceleration as your motor will come up into it's power band more quickly. Gears themselves don't affect your horsepower, but the chip certainly does.

I'm going to dyno my Marauder stock vs Reinhart chip this coming week and will post the findings.

My a$$jet dynometer says it's very noticeable and healthy seat of the pants difference (I actually chirped my tires from 1st to 2nd yesterday).

My gears were installed by my dealer for me. Your warranty will no longer cover your ring gear and pinion if they're replaced with aftermarket units. Which doesn't concern me at all.

mensrea
07-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Thanks Logan.... how much did it cost you to have the dealer replace the gears? All you did was call the dealer and say "Hey can you replace my gears"... What gears did you use, can Mercury get them?

I read something on here about problems with the speedo being off, was that resolved?

Can you "smoke em" from a stop?

Any news on a supercharged Marauder?

Sorry about all the questions but I totally love this car and must have MORE POWER.

Dennis Reinhart
07-21-2002, 11:37 AM
The speedo can be corected with the chip we just want to know why it has changed, its driving me nuts but we have the cure

Logan
07-21-2002, 02:10 PM
What gears did you use, can Mercury get them?

My Mercury dealer got my gears through Ford Performance Parts for me, but MOST dealers will NOT be able to get them. My suggestion, let Reinhart Automotive get your gears for you. My gears were installed at the dealership. Count on being booked for roughly 8 hours labor + parts. (Whatever your dealers hourly rate may be)

I read something on here about problems with the speedo being off, was that resolved?

We haven't resolved WHY it's off yet, because it's not supposed to be, but it will be resolved this week by the dealer or simply by a Reinhart chip installation.

Can you "smoke em" from a stop?

With a little bit of a brake stand, I can make smoke all day. Just punching from the light, nope. But then, you don't want to be spinning your wheels off the line anyway.

Any news on a supercharged Marauder?

I can say that without a doubt, there is a Silver 03 Marauder test vehicle with a detuned 03 Cobra motor in existence. It makes roughly 345hp, and as with all roots style blown motors, makes all it's torque down low, which is perfect for this car. I'd lay money on Mercury supercharging the marauder within the next year or two. Which would be really cool. Me, I owned a 99 & 02 Lightning, and the blown mod motors are AWESOME.

D C
07-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Congratulations on the purchase.

Dennis Reinhart
07-24-2002, 11:28 AM
Again if any one is willing to bring me there car and leave it I will install a blower on there car at a drasticly reduced rate