PDA

View Full Version : What brand are stock mufflers and tips?

FAST
12-12-2003, 03:50 PM
I really dig the way the marauder sounds. What mufflers and tips does the car use from the factory? Does it have an H-pipe or a x-pipe?
Thanks

RCSignals
12-12-2003, 03:57 PM
The tips are Megs and available from Wes Chain at Innovative Interceptors. He has a forum here

I've been told the mufflers are from Arvin Meritor http://www.arvinmeritor.com/

The Marauder uses an H pipe

SergntMac
12-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Well, this will be a short thread. Thanks, RC.

woaface
12-12-2003, 07:24 PM
I've seen some nice x-pipe's...aftermarket of course...I think Logan's are x-pipe eh?

SergntMac
12-12-2003, 08:18 PM
well...so much for the open and shut case...

RCSignals
12-12-2003, 11:13 PM
He asked about stock Mr woaface, X-pipes aren't stock :P

What kind of car are you wanting them for FAST ?

1 BAD 03 MM
12-13-2003, 01:08 AM
I read this thread an hour and a half ago. I had never heard or seen anything about "Arvin Meritor". Went on the site, checked it out. Then I went to watch some SPEED channel. Guess what manufacturer had a commercial? "Arvin Meritor ". Twilight Zone.

It has a kid growing up thinking about cars, and then becoming some kind of automotive engineer, developer, or somethin'.

Anyway just thought that was a complete Twilight Zone. Later

jgc61sr2002
12-13-2003, 09:23 AM
FAST - Welcome to the site. This site is the greatest. RC at his best with a prompt and accurate response. Got to love it.:D

NOTMYBOAT
12-15-2003, 05:31 PM
i thought the stock mufflers gave the marauder a good sound too...

but nothing compares to the potential it has to have a really really great aftermarket sound

TJH
12-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Those of us who work at Ford know Arvin Meritor pretty well. They do most of the exhaust systems for rear-drive or full-frame vehicles (Panther/F150/SuperDuty/Mustang).
Now, what I'd be interested in, is finding out if there is replacement system, made of honest-to-gawd STAINLESS STEEL, instead of the cost-reduced aluminized garbage that our Marauders were built with.
It's amazing- the 1995 SHO STILL has it's original system on it, after 82K miles and 9 winters in Michigan. And, it looks easily 10X better than the pipes on my 2003, 6400-mile Marauder.
There's a point at which the product is being made SO cheap, that no one will buy it. I suppose the bean-counters haven't figured that oiut yet...

RCSignals
12-19-2003, 02:11 AM
The Marauder exhaust system is STAINLESS STEEL.
So is the CV and Grand Marquis.
I thought the pick ups were as well now. Maybe not?

jfclancy
12-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Well thanks to great service from Wes Chain just had my delete tips installed, Very pleased with the results. Welcome to the site FAST

Joe Clancy

joflewbyu2
12-19-2003, 02:24 PM
RCSignals, pipes are mild stainless steel (t409). The mufflers are aluminized steel.

jaywish
12-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Hi All,

Is the Marauder exhaust construction (material) any different then the Regular CV/Marquis?

Is the older (92 and up) construction the same?

I ask for general curiousity and also my 93 is just starting to make a tiny exhaust noise (not bad after 11 yrs) and wondered about the material of all the components.

Anbody know?

Thanks
Jay

Silver_04
12-22-2003, 07:33 AM
Just talked to my contact at Arvin and he said they don't make the Marauder exhaust, and doesn't know who does.

RF Overlord
12-22-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Silver_'04
Just talked to my contact at Arvin and he said they don't make the Marauder exhaust, and doesn't know who does.

That's interesting...when I sent an e-mail to Arvin/Meritor a while ago, they confirmed that they did indeed make the exhaust system for the MM, but it was to Ford's spec, and all information about it was proprietary...in other words, they wouldn't answer any other questions. Perhaps they only made it for the the '03 300A, then Ford switched suppliers?

Silver_04
12-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Could be. My contact works at one of the design centers and just said they didn't make it. You raise a good point because I am unsure as to whether that means they didn't design it or if they don't manufacture it. My understanding was that they don't manufacture it. The search continues.

RCSignals
12-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Maybe he just doesn't know, or doesn't know the difference between Marauder and Grand Marquis

Silver_04
12-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
Maybe he just doesn't know, or doesn't know the difference between Marauder and Grand Marquis

The same could be said for the person that replied to you. I'll believe my source and you can keep looking.

RCSignals
12-22-2003, 05:30 PM
The same could be said for the person that replied to you. I'll believe my source and you can keep looking.

i don't think it matters that much

It seems though that RF, TJH, possibly Mac, and myself have all been told it's Arvin Meritor.
But since the only way to buy the stock mufflers (and i think that is only as part of a complete system) is through Ford, as far as we know, it really does not matter.

RF Overlord
12-22-2003, 05:40 PM

Um, I think you're confusing RC Signals and RF Overlord...I'm the one who got the reply from Arvin, not RC...but I agree that it really doesn't make a lot of difference...even if it IS Arvin, they won't sell to us, so we're stuck paying Ford's outrageous price, or going aftermarket...

wchain
12-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by joflewbyu2@aol.
RCSignals, pipes are mild stainless steel (t409). The mufflers are aluminized steel.

You're close Joe....it goes like this...

T304 for the outer body of the tip
T439 for the inlet section
T409 for the baffle inside (for those that still have a baffle of course ) <evil>

wchain
12-23-2003, 07:20 AM
And for the Record, Arvin supplies exhaust for CV/GM/TC and the Exhaust Supplier for the Marauder is Faurecia http://www.faurecia.com/exhaust.html
(Mufflers and Piping)

RCSignals
12-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Thanks Wes

Marauderjack
12-23-2003, 03:26 PM
Wes....

Thanks for the info.....Now do these things have the gate in the as in "Dual Mode"???:confused:

That was my original question and it seems they do??:confused:

Marauderjack:D

PS: No matter what.....I really like the sound and it is getting more pronounced!!:cool:

TJH
12-25-2003, 04:01 PM
The vehicle that I had been looking at (2, actually) were a GM and a Lincoln Town Car. Both of those exhaust systems were by Arvin-Meritor.
I suppose purchasing could have decided to play a game with getting a lower price, but typically the contract would go to the existing supplier on the platform.
Now, as far as material spec, the pipes on our Marauders and the Town Car that I looked at, both looked like they had 10 years and 100,000 miles already on them. And, they were only a year old.
This, in comparison to the stainless steel of my wife's 1995 SHO, and my 1999 F250 diesel. Both of these systems still look almost new, again as compared to the system on my 2003 MM.
There can only be one explanation for this: a material downgrade in the tubing. With how crusty these Marauder systems already look, there is NO way that they are stainless steel.

RCSignals
12-25-2003, 04:08 PM
TJH, they are stainless steel, and even stated by Ford as being stainless steel.

The system on my Marauder, and on my Crown Victoria is most definitely Stainless steel, and look like "new" stainless.

I can't explain the ones you saw in MI

jgc61sr2002
12-25-2003, 04:25 PM
My exhaust system also looks new.:D

TripleTransAm
12-25-2003, 04:45 PM
My exhaust system looks (looked) fairly new, but I did notice below-standard corrosion resistance in the hangers. Like, REALLY below standard. Like, the kind of stuff that's going to get replaced for free within a year once I get my panties in a bunch over it.

SergntMac
12-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Marauderjack
Now do these things have the gate in the as in "Dual Mode"
That was my original question and it seems they do?
Nope. And even if they were dual mode, they are still 2" OD inlet and outlet, and this OD is insufficient for the performance minded owner.

Presuming for a moment that you may come to upgrade your exhaust system for more power, saving a 2" OD "dual mode" muffler for that benefit would cost you more power than the feature would return. If that's what you come to do, get the 2.5" OD inlet/outlet Ford Racing mufflers.

Originally posted by TJH
With how crusty these Marauder systems already look, there is NO way that they are stainless steel.

Sorry TJH, the entire MM exhaust system, from the manifolds back, is stainless steel. Unfortunately, I cannot see what you are looking at to understand what "crusty" means to you. I have my original OEM exhaust system in the garage, and I can pull it out and take pics to show you what it looks like at 18 months.

Granted, it has a brownish film to it, but a film that rubs off rather quickly. I believe that if someone wanted to spend the time and muscle, the OEM pipes could be polished as shinny as the tips. They would require some maintenence to stay that way, but so do the polished MEGS tips anyway.

Stainless steel will oxidize a surface coat, kind of like a five o'clock shadow. They will also "blue" from heat. In any event, the internals of the OEM mufflers and cats will blow out before they rust out. That's a fact, and the benefit of stainless steel exhaust. SS lives longer than exhaust systems of years gone by, but not forever.

Just my .02c...

joflewbyu2
12-25-2003, 08:45 PM
HOPE THIS INFO HELLPS. there are different grades of stainless. most oem pipes are t439 or t409 (very low chronium content) which is inferior to t304. the tips are t304. BORLA exhaust is built of aircraft-quality T-304 stainless steel -- stainless inside and out, not mild steel, not aluminum, not coated aluminum, not just wrapped with stainless on the outside for show. Coating techniques, such as aluminizing, can somewhat prolong the life of mild steel, but coatings suffer at the weld points. And, comparing aluminized steel to T-304 stainless steel is like comparing gold-plated metal to solid gold! T-304 stainless steel has the highest chromium content, making it the most resistant to corrosion and therefore the most desirable material for a long-lasting exhaust system. MORE INFO @ http://www.borla.com/about.us/?cartID=20031225193852172.170. 90.77