PDA

View Full Version : Automatic car wash experiences??

RedMM
12-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Have any of you had bad experiences taking your MM through automatic car washes?? I won't even attempt any of the low priced ones such as $3 with fillup, but I know the more expensive ones have the rotating whitewall cleaning brushes and I'm concerned about what this might do to the finish on the wheels. My Navigator tires barely fit between the rails and was showing some scuffing on the edge of the wheels and I know our MM tires are much lower. Are they durable enough to withstand car washes?? The 03 Crn Vic cop cars around here have most all the finish scrubbed off them from car washes and I don't want to take a chance with my baby if damage will likely occur! Appreciate your thoughts/experiences> Thanks!:confused:

2003 MIB
12-17-2003, 12:02 PM
I only put her through "brush-free" or "no-touch" washes. I also use the car duster between washes. I'm pretty happy with the results.

merc406
12-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Hook up the hose to the hot water heater and you'll be able to wash it yourself in the drive.

SergntMac
12-17-2003, 12:19 PM
One of my winter projects is to get a set of widened rims. I've been shopping around with interest in odd or lightly damaged wheels, and the repairs offered by wheel restoration companies nationwide. I'm very pleased to know how easy it is to repair damage, such as curb burn and road hazzard gouges.

In this, I have learned that the polished wheel is very soft and can scratch up with little effort. The clear coat is as thick and durable as it is on your paint. The car wash brushes will scratch your wheels as quickly and as deeply as they would your hood and trunk...IMHO.

MAD-3R
12-17-2003, 12:35 PM
The clear coat is as thick and durable as it is on your paint.

That bad.?
Great....Just freaken dandy... :rolleyes:

TAF
12-17-2003, 12:55 PM
NO WASHES WITH BRUSHES!!!!!

PERIOD!!!!

There's a REASON why they have those "disclaimer" signs saying "We are not responsible for any damage...yada, yada, yada..."

Lowell
12-17-2003, 01:25 PM
HAND WASH ONLY!!!!!!. Watch out for grit in the bottom of the bucket. California water blade or chamois, then soft terry cloth , towel no fabric sofener.

Mark McQuaide
12-17-2003, 04:19 PM
When it's below freezing and the car is covered with road salt, an automatic is better than leaving it the way it is. I try to keep it to a minimum.

I wouldn't use hot water to wash a car in the winter. First, I don't know what that does to the paint when warm water hits cold metal. Second, it would turn the driveway into an ice rink.

67435animal
12-17-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm glad I live where I can wash in the driveway year round!

Bob

TAF
12-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by 67435animal

Bob

Yeah...but are you washing tomorrow, Bob?

I want to...but it is WAY too cold...Saturday is still supposed to be back in the 50s though.

bugsys03
12-17-2003, 04:33 PM
I have had good luck with the turtle wax car washes that we have in the chicago area.

CRUZTAKER
12-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Hey Mike...I hope you didn't have a boo-boo!

The very first week I had the car I hand washed it at the 'self wash' on Front St. across from Napa. Unknowingly, the brush was full of dirt from the last guy that must have wased the undercarriage of his 4X4. I have permanent scratches on the roof and trunk. I'll never use a hand wash station brush again. I use a mit if I must resort to such a location.

I have run the Marauder thru auto washes at the one at Broadview and Sprague Rd. without any trouble. The owner knows me and won't let the kids wipe it down. This is the biggest concern...the kids wiping the car with DIRTY towels...bad...very bad. The auto wash at Detriot Rd. and Crocker is safe as well.

BTW: I have since refrained from auto washes, and only wash in the driveway with my own powerwasher. Basically for no other reason than I do a better job, and I take care in the process. I no longer drive the MM in the winter. Problem solved.

67435animal
12-17-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by TAF

I want to...but it is WAY too cold...Saturday is still supposed to be back in the 50s though.

I'll wait until the afternoon. It got dirty in our 'snow storm' this morning.:help:

Bob

merc406
12-17-2003, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't use hot water to wash a car in the winter. First, I don't know what that does to the paint when warm water hits cold metal. Second, it would turn the driveway into an ice rink. [/B][/QUOTE]

Car washes use steam, hotter than the hot water that is in your home hose, by the time the water gets through 50' of hose laying on the gound it's not that hot.

SergntMac
12-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Bob...Tod...Can I come over and wash my car by youse guys? Please?

marauder307
12-17-2003, 06:14 PM
I've still got a light scrape across my roof from a bad experience with an automatic wash right after I moved up here. That said, I still use a full-service car wash place on S. Lindbergh Blvd. They've gotten to know me by now...I'm 1 of only 2 Marauders that they see on any kind of basis and I'm in at least every two weeks.

They use those strips (dunno what they're made of) rather than brushes, and high-pressure water. The only time they scared me was when I stopped in one day and they were busy. The kids at the receiving end almost let my ride get hit by another car coming off the line because they didn't get up to it fast enough.

I barked at 'em a little, and the manager did the rest. Don't have to worry about it anymore.

After I run it through the wash, I take it home and use a Meguiar's touch-up spray wax to take care of the paint protection package I had put on it. Then I use Armor-All Extreme Tire Shine on the tires, and last week (before the effin' snow arrived!) I started using Eagle One Nevr-Dull on the exhaust tips. She comes out looking like a million bucks!:coolman:

kurly
12-17-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 2003 MIB
I only put her through "brush-free" or "no-touch" washes. I also use the car duster between washes. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I agree. A no-touch between hand wash with wash mits or the california duster.

Bigdogjim
12-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by TAF

Nice TAF real nice:)

31 outside and snowing:mad:

Key West here I come:):):)

Bigdogjim
12-17-2003, 08:02 PM
I have spent the last few days getting preliminary estimate's from several body shop. The local L&M dealer sent my Marauder to the wrong bodyshop:mad: andnow I have the paint from hell!

Anyway in talking to several "paint" people the question came up as to how and dry the car after washing??

Answer?

Never I repeat never use a terry towel/cloth!

These guys were very adamant about this.

By the way estimate's are north of $5,000. to "repair" the damage done :alone::help: :confused:

Bigdogjim
12-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac

Hey Mac don't forget your friends in northeast:):):)

bigslim
12-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Even if I wash it at a hand wash I clear water it. I take the wand and use a soft towel or mitt to clear wash it. I found the soap at the car wash strips the wax.

teamrope
12-17-2003, 08:25 PM
I made the mistake of takeing my MM through the car wash. Never again. Brushes work fine on the antiques with enamel paint, but they left a few scratches on my MM.

ADE 1000
12-17-2003, 10:08 PM
When I first bought the car I vowed never to take it to an automatic car wash. However, the recent Chicago weather has already caused salt on the roads and a very dirty Marauder. I just can't bear to see it like that and took it to a local Delta Sonic which offers a touchless automated car wash with hand towel drying and the car came out fine. It actually came out better than the local hand wash place I was taking it to.

I don't want to get pneumonia and turn my driveway into an ice rink, so hand washes and Zaino will have to wait until spring.

67435animal
12-18-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by SergntMac

Mac, anytime!

Bob

gonzo50
12-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 67435animal

Bob
Yes, it's nice living down here in the SouthEast, especially on the coast. I can deal with the cold weather every now and then because it doesn't stay cold for long.

I wash her in my driveway when needed, and do all the detailing work myself. ;)

Heavy351
12-18-2003, 01:11 PM
I have owned several black cars over the years and in my opinion in the winter the less the car is touched the better. There is so much crud on the car that can be ground into the paint.

About once a week I take the car to a touchless automatic wash for $4. Does not really clean the car that well but it rinses the salt and road grime off most of the car. This particular car wash has no rails on the ground and you sit still while the sprayer rotates around the car.

fairly hot water is used and so it dries quickly by the time I finish with the vacuum on all the crap on the floor.

especially in the winter I try not to touch the doors at all and close them by pushing on the glass...

frdwrnch
12-18-2003, 01:36 PM
I always hand wash my MM myself. That way I know who to blame! Besides, she likes the love and attention that only a good hand job can give. Love your Marauder and she'll love you back. Can you tell I'm passionate about my automobiles?

67435animal
12-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by frdwrnch
I always hand wash my MM myself. That way I know who to blame! Besides, she likes the love and attention that only a good hand job can give. Love your Marauder and she'll love you back. Can you tell I'm passionate about my automobiles?

...hand job???...

Bob

PS-I washed two cars in my driveway today; about 48 degrees; not bad!

greyghost
12-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Bob, your just jealous!! See you Saturday

Barry

jgc61sr2002
12-18-2003, 04:38 PM
At the Hershey meet several of us used the lazer (touchless) car wash with excellent results.:D

RedMM
12-18-2003, 04:43 PM
My biggest worry is having the track/rails scrape the rims and the whitewall rotating brush giving the rims a scuffed appearance!