PDA

View Full Version : New Pulley Report

Ross
12-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Got the new pulleys on! I wasn't looking for a tremendous difference in noticeable power, since these are supposed to make about 10-12 extra HP (or about 2 1/2 %). I did get a good "seat of the pants" feel, though, when I launched at WOT, no braking. Then, for the first time in my car, I got a chirp on the 1-2 shift! Not a long patch of rubber, mind you, but a definite chirp which had never been there before. For me, that alone is worth the price of the pulleys and install! BTW, the pulleys are marked. One side says "THIS SIDE OUT." The other side says "THIS SIDE OUT, MARTY." Sorry, Marty, I'm feeling so good right now, I just had to do that! :lol:

TAF
12-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Good for you Ross. Now...you have to be careful with the WOT 1-2 shift on wet roads...believe me.

The pulley set is one of the best bang for the buck mods out there!

SergntMac
12-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Next time you're playing around, Ross, notice how much quicker the engine spins up. This is how the pulleys work, they reduce mass and that allows the engine to spin up faster, and get into your powerband sooner. That's where the HP and TQ numbers are developed. Glad you like them.

bugsys03
12-17-2003, 04:57 PM
1st gear WOT on wet roads? Hitting second would be the least of my worries

CRUZTAKER
12-17-2003, 05:09 PM
OHH now I can't wait for the box to arrive :banana:

Marauder57
12-17-2003, 06:44 PM
The pulleys are great! I really enjoyed the difference they made on the MM. And on wet roads even at 1/2 throttle in a turn that 2nd can kick pretty good and get you a little spin....

In WOT you can actually hear the engine rev up different from before.....

-Steve Austin

TripleTransAm
12-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by bugsys03
1st gear WOT on wet roads? Hitting second would be the least of my worries

Ditto. Without traction control I can't get above 3000 RPM in 1st without blowing away the rear tires and losing complete control of my rear end...

(literally AND figuratively... YOU try keeping your shorts clean when you're trying to cut in front of traffic by leaping from a light at WOT and forgetting you disengaged Traction Control!!)

MMdriver03
12-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by bugsys03
1st gear WOT on wet roads? Hitting second would be the least of my worries I think you lose traction in first gear........and lose control of vehicle in 2nd...... pulling out of industrial park onto un-divided highway ,broke loose going into second and got almost completely sideways:( looking at oncoming traffic comming at me at 50+:eek: everything turned out ok but gave me new respect of wet roads:rolleyes:

jspradii
12-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Having had a recent unpleasant experience passing on a cold wet road, it is clear that with 4:10 gears and hard street tires, traction can be broken in any shift mode. In my case, attempting to pass without taking the car out of OD broke my tires loose in the downshift to 3rd putting me in a ditch. ANY MM owner without traction control should be very leery of cold, wet or frozen/snow covered roads. (See my tale in the Storyboard - Wildest Rides). We don't discuss this problem here much, and folks need to be wary, since a problem like the one I had can happen when you least expect it.

Murader03
12-17-2003, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TripleTransAm
[B] losing complete control of my rear end...

(QUOTE]

Boy! That must be a sight to watch. :lol:

Haggis
12-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Congratulations Ross, glad to hear everything work out just fine. Be safe and go and have some FUN!!