PDA

View Full Version : Trilogy #8 runs a 12.77 @ 109.59mph

JET
12-20-2003, 02:18 AM
It's 3:17am and I'm just getting back from Moroso Race Track.

I got there at at 6:30pm and did not run till 1:00am. There had to be over 500 cars there, if not more. It was the poorest run most disorganized track I've ever been to. I can't begin to tell you how pissed off I am.

The weather was cold for South Florida. Mid to low 50's but as the night went on all the cars became covered with dew. This made the track slippery as hell.

The N/T (no time) or Outlaw cars were all getting sideways. You know the old super high HP cars that are held toghether with duck tape & zip ties and the driver that has ten buddies that have to instruct him all the way to the tree and then when his car blows its rear end on the line walk away like they don't even know him. I personally witnessed 3 cars hitting the wall. One crashed into it then spun around accross the track & crashed into the wall on the other side. Many more got sideways & either crossed into the opposing cars lane or road off into the dirt. It was ugly and I was just waiting for someone to get seriously injured. The track was clearly to wet/ moist for these cars to run.

My car was 9th in line for whatever they call the street class down here. I was told I was 9th around 8:30pm. Tech inspection took 2 hours. My car sat in the same spot till about 12:50am. This place was a total joke I was ready to blow my top and was wishing that I had just gone home but I had to see how my car would run for the 1st time with the Nitto Drag Radials.

Well I did get to run twice. The 2nd run I snuck back to the front of the line and just weasilled myself in. Or should I say MONGOOSED my way in? As usual whenever I wait so long for a run and know I only have probably only 1 chance on a setup that I have no idea how to race I dissapoint myself. Well I am very dissapointed with my 12.772 @ 109mph, 60ft. was 1.972. My second run was worse 12.981 @ 108.98. No 60ft. time on slip. I was at least hoping to be closer to some of the top Trilogy times i.e. 12.4's.

That was the bad news now for the good news. Everyone went nuts over the car. Throughout the 5 or 6 hous I spent staged with my hood open I answered hundreds of questions about the car.

"LIDIO PLEASE POST WHAT YOU DID TO MY EXHAUST SO I CAN TELL PEOPLE SOMETHING OTHER THEN". "I know I did something but I can't remebered what it is".

It made the first 3 hours of the wait go by pretty pleasently.

When I finished my second run and was filling up my tires for the ride home more people came up and said that the people in the stands were cheering me on and couldn't believe such a big car could be so quick. Then on the way home I stopped to get coffee and again people were coming uo to me saying how awesome my runs looked. I must admit I felt pretty cool. In fact the only thing I didn't get out of my Trilogy car tonight was laid. And coming home at 3:30am my wife certainly isn't going to offer her services.

I also met one of our members there and his wife. I think he goes by (Retired Corporal General) or something like that. He was a real nice guy but he couldn't, and I can't blame stay to watch me run. There was a supercharged PI that got dynoed in the high 400's and was pulling a 13 second 1/4 too.

Well in summery this car is way better with the Nittos. It just feels right and I'm sure as I get more familier with racing on them I'll get faster.

I'm sure there is more crap I could talk & ***** about but I'm going to try to go to bed now.

In summmery:
The moral of the story is if you don't get your car supercharged and wait 6 hours in the staging lanes with your hood open getting your ass kissed by everyone walking by just because you have a cool car then the terrorist will have won.

A question for the Board:
I ran a 12.95 @ 110 on street tires. Though my ET is lower this time 12.772 should my MPH (109.59mph) be faster?:help:

merc406
12-20-2003, 03:59 AM
That's cool.........just plain coooooool!!!!

Bob Mathis
12-20-2003, 06:37 AM
Jet when you can call me and list talk. I know how you feel I've been to track's and night's like that . the car is real close to the time you think it should be. I just want to go 12.90 with mine and I'm close with 13.04
Phone (334) 894-6278

martyo
12-20-2003, 07:02 AM
John: Don't sweat it man, that isn't a terrible showing for one of the the first times out with the S/C and new tire combo.

Come back up North. We'll ring that bad boy out and have you into the lower to mid 12's in no time!

jgc61sr2002
12-20-2003, 08:07 AM
JET - Great times. The numbers will only get better.:D :up:

Lidio
12-20-2003, 08:54 AM
Hey

That ET and mph are very close to what they should be with the conditions you went out in. The Trilogy car when its run those solid mid 12’s at about 110, its always been very down-right cold here. Like 35-45 degrees!! The trilogy car also will post 60ft times in the low 1.8’s when it runs the mid 12’s.

Don’t want to sound like I’m making excuses but this is what happens with drag racing. Different cars, Different tracks, Different part of the country, Different driver etc… It all adds up and can be better or worse then your expectations and comparisons.

In all Jet your mph is promising…. 109 for your set up is right on. I’ve learned over the years and I never really tried to put a finger on it but when you go from spinning a lot and poor ET’s and then hook it up totally or substantially better, your ET does drop and so does the MPH at the ¼ mile.

One thing for sure you’ll need to get used to with a intercooled blower car is that it will vary almost a ½ second in ET when going from 90 degree, humid temps down to 40 degree dryer temps. Its just physics and their is nothing you can do about it unless you throw more boost at it or make some other physical changes. But then again what ever gains you get when it’s hot out… will only go faster when it’s cold out again!!

When I raced Trilogy number 1 in TX where we met… Just before then… the #1 car was a 13.35-13.20 second car in the heat and a12.90-13.00 car in the cooler temps.
When we took it to TX, I wanted to go 12.90’s or better in the heat (or a bad day) and hoped it would go mid 12s in the cold. So for TX we added the 4.10’s, custom X-pipe made of
2 ¼” after the 4 cats, and 3-cahmber Flo-Master mufflers. Plus a blower pulley that would make 11.5psi not 9.5. (this is what you have JET for exhaust...its not a kit, custom only) And when it went 12.90 in TX as many seen…. When we got back to MI for the fall here it immediately started going 12.60’s down to a stunning 12.42 at about 111mph. The 12.40’s came with nothing touched what so ever after TX!!! Just the weather and probably traction too. Michigan tracks with some good prep hook very good in the cold temps.

One thing about a Trilogy blower equiped MM is that if the track your at is really hooking and you've got the tires.... The harder you can "brake Torque" it before the car starts to get real twisted and move or break the beems.... The better it will ET!

Later

CRUZTAKER
12-20-2003, 10:52 AM
John, I am totally impressed! Glad you are having a blast in L-Dale:up:

Foot of new snow here:(

JET
12-20-2003, 07:40 PM
Were are getting some respect out there.

Today as I was driving to Lion Country Safari with the wife & kids. I was stopped at a light. A guy with a Camaro SS next to me started beeping his horn and gesturing at me I rolled down my window. He said he saw a Marauder do a 12.7 at Moroso Race Track last night. I said "yeh that me was me". He ask me what I did & I told him a blower. At that point about 4 cars behind us started beeping their horns so we drove off.

Must say It felt good & my wife now believes that I actually was at the track till 3am.

Lidio thanks for the insight.

martyo
12-20-2003, 07:56 PM
John: Can I borrow your car? I have a quick errand to run.....

JET
12-20-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by martyo
John: Can I borrow your car? I have a quick errand to run.....

Anytime Marty Anytime

martyo
12-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by JET
Anytime Marty Anytime

:D

LCpl Retired
12-22-2003, 09:03 AM
John: Sorry I did not get to see you run that night..I really did want to see you at least make one pass!! .the wife had stuck it out for 4 1/2 hrs but was not having fun any more!!...Very cold and frustrating evening for all...but most of all for you...incidently if you ran on the right side it seemed like that side of the track was slower (slipperier?)..my friend ran a half second less on that side...every time...(we got there right at 5:30 and got 4-5 runs in immediately)..that was the side everyone kept hitting the wall on also..?....

I was going to mention that with all the heavy iron there that night..It seemed Every time I looked over at your car there was a crowd around it ...I was really suprised over the attention it drew...quite remarkable, and that must have helped pass the time well...

As an aside it Was fun early on in the evening, and my friends old nasty Superbee ran quite well, turning 13.02 on his best run...I had forgotten the sound of those 440s wound out...it is unique and marvelous...

A personal highlight of the evening was watching the Superbee (spraying oil smoke, little rust bits and probably bondo chunks out the back of it) while absolutely smoking a modified Mitsubishi Evo.....(course if you watched the ENTIRE race you may have noticed that the Evo was done, turned around and headed back before Chris could get the old monster stopped with its 4 unassisted drums)...

still ...Way cool

Bill

JET
12-22-2003, 10:56 AM
LCpl Retired

It was great meet you & your wife. I'm glad you left because it was absolutaly brutal waiting out there. Yes the attention was fun for, say, the first 4 hours after that it was I can't f*%k$ng believe I'm still waiting here.

The crashes I show all came from the right lane too. However the cars in the left lane were all over the place leaving the line & several of the outlaws were crossing over into the right lane. I was in the left & just stayed there. For the street class cars the traction wasn't good but the ones I saw run didn't seem to be in any danger.

I glad to hear you got back safe. Happy Holidays

John

Jerry Barnes
12-22-2003, 11:43 AM
John,

I am sorry to hear that you had a tough time at the drag strip, but I am very happy to hear the car ran well and everyone enjoyed seeing it! It sounds like one of the experiences I have had, I guess it comes with the territory. I alway thought the wait would be short at the track, but was I wrong. Sometimes you just wait forever. I tend to like road racing a lot and your get the opportunity to race for a long time before you have to wait again. Some of the drag strips seem like you do more waiting then you do racing. But, it's exciting!

Great results, keep up the good work!

I would like to wish everyone out there a safe and happy holiday season!!!

stumpy
12-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Nice run John! Get your 60' down some more and you'll have 12.5 or better. Every .10 in 60' is good for .20 in ET. And yes, the MPH can and usually will drop when you run a faster ET. Best I can figure, you simply have less time to build up speed.

You got to go back to Atco in January for that supercharged air. They won't be running any more Saturday T&Ts but they will run both T&T and a Gambler race every Sunday through February. Sorry if this enrages you further, but while you were waiting in line I ran at Atco last Saturday and got in 13 runs with plenty of FOT, came late and left an hour early. :flamer:
Unfortunately Sundays won't be as good, but the track prep is pretty good and if you get there by 10:30 you should be able to get in 5 or 6 runs.

If you let Gavin drive your car, he'll probably get you a 12.3, I've seen his game face at the line and he's all business!:burnout: