PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft related?

paheff
12-20-2003, 06:42 AM
I just got my MM back from my local Ford dealer after having the transmission extension housing replaced under warranty. I noticed a spot in the driveway and assumed it was from one of my kid's cars, since it obviously wasn't from my MM, right? But to my horror, I had a LEAK!! It looked like the rear tranny seal and I took it in. It turned out to be the extension housing. I didn't pick the car up from the dealer, so I didn't get the details, but could this have been damage from my one and only 120+ mph run (against a Dakota R/T with exhaust mods if nothing else, who I btw handed his a**) in which I felt nothing out of the ordinary? Notice, no MMX driveshaft in sig....yet.
Also, would this be considered Marauder abuse? I didn't know it was going to snow. Honest.

joflewbyu2
12-20-2003, 07:02 AM
Stock MM is limited to approximately 117 mph due to driveshaft limitations. The police cars with 3.27 rear axle ratiosare limited to 128 mph. The order guide states that police cars ordered with the 3.55 rear axle ratio will have better acceleration but lower top speed which I suspect is due to the driveshaft. I am happy with my Dynotech metal matrix racing driveshaft which I got throu Dennis. Better quality and beefier parts.

jgc61sr2002
12-20-2003, 07:59 AM
panheff - Jacksonville, Fla has snow? You must be visiting somewhere up North.:D

CRUZTAKER
12-20-2003, 11:14 AM
OH, it'll snow in Jacksonville....but not too often!!! That's a great pic....and is that a 'florida room' in the background? We don't have those up here:P

I have had mine over 120 many times....no leaks...no damage...yet:D

paheff
12-20-2003, 01:45 PM
The pic is from Maggie Valley NC., where we got 3-4" the night we got there on my wife's birthday trip.
My question though, is if I felt nothing amiss, could I have still caused damage or do you know it when it happens? I've read here that it will "shake the mirror off the windshield". Maybe not related? I intend to go easy until I get my MMX, but I never intended to race that Dakota either.

SergntMac
12-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by paheff
I've read here that it will "shake the mirror off the windshield"

This "vibration" we speak of is not so serious that your mirrors will come unglued.

You should detect this vibration by the "seat-of your pants" first, and that sensation can be confirmed by blurry images in your mirrors, outside and in, at certain speed.

You did not hurt your MM, it disappointed you.

paheff
12-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
You did not hurt your MM, it disappointed you.

Well, being the forgiving type that I am, I guess I have no choice but to give it another chance :D

JET
12-24-2003, 12:23 AM
paheff

Your problem is an isolated incedent. Driving at a high speed racing will increase your chances of something going wrong. On the other hand not letting the car breath once in a while is also bad for it. As far a abusive driving goes your are probably on the lower end of the scale.

My advice is once you get it fixed start beating on it a little bit more & more often. She is most likely pissed at you for not working her harder.

Good Luck

the fat bastid
12-24-2003, 01:44 PM
word to that jet,
these 4.6s love getting hammered.