PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Panel Lights Flicker

drobin
11-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Has anyone noticed while driving at night: the lights flicker on the oil pressure and volt meter guage panel (like a oscillation from a bad alternator). All other instrumentation lights work fine and normal. Has anyone noticed this and can recommend a cure without going to dealer?

Thanks,
Donald:confused:

Wags
11-25-2002, 11:36 AM
My lights do the same thing. More so if you don't have the intensity all the way up. I also have a flickering in the radio display. (One of the LED segments is flakey).

Fourth Horseman
11-25-2002, 11:56 AM
The guage lighting flickers slightly on mine as well. I notice it most when in the parking garage while waiting for the engine to settle a bit after first starting it up. I'm usually looking down at the two guages by the shifter and notice a slight flicker.

LincMercLover
11-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Mine does too. My radio used to, but it's recently quit, but my gauges still do a little. I've talked about this earlier on here awhile back. STILL haven't gotten around to making sure the battery's fully charged, I'm a lazy ass... what can I say! Ain't got time when I'm always out in her! :D

gja
11-25-2002, 12:38 PM
I, too, have noticed this. I will be doing an in-depth test of the electrical system this weekend. I am also a HAM/Amateur radio operator and will be installing a unit in the Merc. But before I do that I intend on checking the cars DC system to ensure all will go well. I will look at the output of the system on a Fluke recording meter. I will post the results and be sure to point out any deficiancies testing uncovers. I hope the flicker is just a benign symptom of a less than perfect dimmer circuit.

MI2QWK4U
11-25-2002, 06:28 PM
This was one of the items I had the dealership check recently. I informed them that the center console mounted autometer gauges flickered wildly, much in the way you all have described it. They spent 2 hours pulling the console, connections, and the charging system. They also called the ford service hotline for any new info not listed on OASIS. So......

Marauderman
11-25-2002, 07:25 PM
no problem with my MM gauges as yet--600 miles! Looks great at night!

hrtn_monky
11-25-2002, 07:34 PM
I have also noticed flickering lights, seems more pronounced when the brake pedal is pressed (with brake lights on). Seems almost like a grounding issue. I also don't notice other lights flickering, only seems to be the guage pod. I was going to bring this up when I bring my car in for a replacement glass on the passenger door.

gja,
I am interested in your radio installation success, I would be curious if you get fuel pump noise at unacceptable levels. I had my Mountaineer fuel pump fixed under warranty for this issue, Ford has a EMI filter kit they install. There is a TSB on it, not sure if it extends into 2003 cars. Maybe they changed the fuel pump design?

GarageMahal
11-26-2002, 03:15 PM
I have noticed some flickering as well but only during 'weak' light hours. I determined that my flickering was due the the lights dimming automatically when it gets dark.

At certain times of day it seems that it can't decide if they should be dim or bright so it flickers. Good thing it does not really bother me... now to get rid of the gawd awful rattle from the drivers side rear door...

jta

LincMercLover
11-26-2002, 05:02 PM
I got that too garage (the door that is...)! Taking her in Monday for front bumper alinment, paint flaw touch-up, rear door panel carpet, shifter plate replace, and I think that's about it... We shall see.

MAD-3R
11-27-2002, 06:43 AM
o/` "He's making a list, hes' checking it twice....o/`

NYSP618
11-27-2002, 07:35 AM
about the only time I notcie mine flickering is when I have the lights on the automatic setting. Seems every car I had does this at one time or another. By the way, had it in for the 5,000 mile maint the other day and the service dept ran complete diagnostics on it to make sure there were no problems. None found.

gja
12-01-2002, 05:12 PM
OK, here are the results of the tests.
The flickering IS due to the sensor circuit, the alternator output is quite steady and the is nearly NO ripple from it. Very little if any broadband noise from the onboard comp, and NO fuel pump noise in the lines. I was able to use an RF sniffer set up to an oscilloscope and ran sweeps from near DC to 50 megahertz. It is more than clean enough for me to run my VERY sensitive ham radio gear, which means there should be NO consumer equip that will find a problem.

They need to pad the dwell point between on/off in the auto-lamp position, I will be mentioning it to my dealer for them to pass along to Merc.

Bigdogjim
12-01-2002, 11:23 PM
Not having a problem like you guys are. However the headlights stay on when I turn off the switch! They act like day time running lights. I have gotten out to look and some times the tail light are on and some times they are not? I have not yet reported this the dealer yet. Does not happen all the time. If I turn the key off and start it back up they do not come on! Going in to shop Wedensday. have a few things to be looked at!
Big Dog Jim

RCSignals
12-01-2002, 11:38 PM
Bigdogjim
Isn't that just a part of the headlight off delay system?

Bigdogjim
12-02-2002, 11:24 AM
RCSignals: I thought of that but, I do not use the auto switch. I have the car run as long as 30 min and the lights stay on. If auto delay was working they would turn off after a pre set time? Like I said some times the tail lights and on and other times they are not! I went to the dealer this morning to make the appointment and see if the rear (4.10) was in yet. Service Manager informed that they would not honor the warranty if any thing was changed on the car. I am not so much concerned with the issue of the void warranty as I am they way he put it! The zone rep. is going to call me with an answer. Any one been told different?
Big Dog Jim

RCSignals
12-02-2002, 02:59 PM
I thought the delay system also came into play if you turn the lights off after the ignition is turned off?
The tail lights staying on too is odd though. Could be a bad LCM or light switch itself? If you leave the lights on after 30 minutes or so the battery saver feature will automatically turn tham off and it sounds like that is what might behapening. The light switch isn't always functioning when you turn off the lights maybe.

Bigdogjim
12-02-2002, 11:45 PM
RCSignals: thanks for the tip. I go into the shop this week. Just got a squeek in the right front. Hope its out of the body shop in time to get to other side of the shop.(Got hit in the rear 2 weeks ago) Need the MM this weekend!
Big Dog Jim

Flash
12-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Mr. Jim,

Warranty Issues, Service Manager & the Magnuson-Moss Act, ask him or the factory rep to explain it to you! He-He!, also do a search on it [google] and read about your rights. You'll be OK. Take look at

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/mag_moss.htm :D

Bigdogjim
12-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Flash: Thanks for the info! I know now I would never ever use the dealer again! If I buy a Mercury's in the future I will go some place other than these people! I have not fill out my survey for Mercury as of yet! Sure glad I did not will fill it out and be honest! I will check out the web site and take the MM to the Ford dealer for now.
Big Dog Jim