PDA

View Full Version : BBK LT install

musclemerc
04-11-2011, 05:50 AM
I have recieved alot of PM's, texts, and phone calls about the BBK LT header install I recently did for MMBLUE. I want to start by saying he got the headers basically for FREE, they came as a package with the engine he purchased.

The BBK's bolt right up and basically require the same mods as a shorty install. Shim the DS motor mount, grind the steering shaft, etc. With the exception that you have to bend the tube going to cylinder #5 on the underside @ the steering shaft. These are true LT's and stop behind the transmission bellhousing (not a mid length like the Kooks) and the starter is WIDE OPEN. These header's can easily be found on the cheap at just about every modular site on the net.

Here are the pics:

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/IMG_0122.jpg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/IMG_0123.jpg

ctrlraven
04-11-2011, 05:57 AM
What about the EGR tube/connection?

musclemerc
04-11-2011, 06:24 AM
^^I forgot about that one.
The same as a shorty install, it require's an egr adaptor.

I make the adaptor if anyone needs one

MMBLUE
04-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks for posting this Travis. I know you are partial to the shorties, but I know you are more partial to doing it on a budget. And this is on the cheap. Last night for Shats and giggles, I was looking around the net for BBK's and tons out there for 200 to 350. I hope a lot of others get in on this. Sounds great and more ponies for less bucks. That's what I'm talking about.:) BTW, EGR totally functional with Travis's EGR kit he sells.

BODYMAN
04-11-2011, 06:39 AM
this is some good info and now another option good job Travis!

ctrlraven
04-11-2011, 07:49 AM
BBK LT for 03-04 Cobra/Mach 1 correct? Is there ones for manual or automatic? I know their old ones for pre-96 on the 5.0 pr motors listed manual or automatic.

Even the new ones are under $600.

LANDY
04-11-2011, 07:56 AM
That's good news Travis. I might think into that.

musclemerc
04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
this is some good info and now another option good job Travis!

Thanks!

BBK LT for 03-04 Cobra/Mach 1 correct? Is there ones for manual or automatic? I know their old ones for pre-96 on the 5.0 pr motors listed manual or automatic.

Even the new ones are under $600.

Yes, 03~04 Cobra-Mach1, The automatic trans is what you want.
I am also gonna look into the tube design on other LT's that are cheaper like MAC, Pacesetter, etc....

That's good news Travis. I might think into that.

If you saw the starter clearance you would be surprised, and the collectors line up EXACTLY with our stock H pipe, so if other's want to they can make their own MAUKAT system these will work.
If you need any help PM me Landy.

:burnout:

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2011, 08:35 AM
this just proves kooks "mm specific" headers dont fit worth a ****. if these bbk headers designed for a MUSTANG fit the same as kooks something is wrong. incase dennis is reading kooks are pos, there i said it again.

good job T. wish you were doign this stuff when i was building my car, coulda saved alota time and money

musclemerc
04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Dont worry Dave, he can't post in my forum.

massacre
04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Wish these would fit my car :(

ctrlraven
04-11-2011, 10:20 AM
I'd stay stock or go shorties before I'd put pacesetter headers on my car. Their welds are horrible.

CobraSVT657
04-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I ordered a set of new Pacesetter uncoated incase I had to do some primary tube mods.. I've been too busy working on my other car I haven't had a chance to start on those. I'm glad you got to the BBK's because thats another economical option for us guys.

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: :beer::beer::beer:

JoeBoomz
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I have read some posts about these BBK headers saying that they pit and rust like crazy, and sometimes leak.

Does anyone here have these and have used them for a few years now without any issues? They certainly are a good option price-wise however I'd like to see that they also last.

a_d_a_m
05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Was thinking about SW but obviously they're a little pricey. Hmmm...in-arresting...

musclemerc
05-10-2011, 04:47 PM
I have read some posts about these BBK headers saying that they pit and rust like crazy, and sometimes leak.

Does anyone here have these and have used them for a few years now without any issues? They certainly are a good option price-wise however I'd like to see that they also last.

The stock manifold gaskets are multi layered SS so leaks are'nt an issue

Be aware these are NOT MM specific headers and will require modifications to make them work. You will not get an opinion from someone running them for a few years because there are only a few MMs running non MM specific LTs.

I know of 3~4 but there may be others :confused:

cpe6
05-11-2011, 04:12 AM
I have a suggestion for all vendors that Mod their own MM's. Why dont you all show up at a meet and run heads up? I only wish for good products for our cars. Thats the way we settle it in Chicago about who has the best car and product.

SC Cheesehead
05-11-2011, 04:15 AM
I have a suggestion for all vendors that Mod their own MM's. Why dont you all show up at a meet and run heads up? I only wish for good products for our cars. Thats the way we settle it in Chicago about who has the best car and product.

What would that prove?

musclemerc
05-11-2011, 04:28 AM

I'm not sure what your getting at with this comment. I never mentioned any other vendors in this thread. This header install was done on the cheap with used parts, I know other vendors sell MM specific headers and would not waste their time modding non MM specific headers to fit.

If your gonna come into my forum and comment please try not to kick up any ***** while your here. I hate moderating comments and do not want to delete yours ;)

RoyLPita
05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Any extra pics of the underside and the mod work needed to make them fit?

tremblay
05-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks!

Yes, 03~04 Cobra-Mach1, The automatic trans is what you want.
I am also gonna look into the tube design on other LT's that are cheaper like MAC, Pacesetter, etc....

I did a quick internet search and im pretty sure BBK does not make LT headers for automatics...Mac,SLP,Kooks,Hoo ker etc do.

So the LT headers in the install were for a manual stang?

Marauder Rick
05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Is there a write up showing how and where modifications need to be made for these to work? Not these specifically but you said that the mods were the same as the shorties so maybe those. I want headers but I would rather not spend a grand when I can spend less than half and just add a little elbow grease.

musclemerc
05-13-2011, 04:56 AM
Any extra pics of the underside and the mod work needed to make them fit?

Maybe MMBLUE can get some shots of the undercarriage and post them.
The only real work needed is you gotta bang clyinder#5 primary tube a little to clear the steering shaft. Cylinder#1 needed a little dent for it to clear the PS

Is there a write up showing how and where modifications need to be made for these to work? Not these specifically but you said that the mods were the same as the shorties so maybe those. I want headers but I would rather not spend a grand when I can spend less than half and just add a little elbow grease.

I may have done one back in the day when I installed my setup. Check my old threads it should be there

I sell an install kit that has all the little parts that no one ever mentions.

The kit comes with everything needed to do the job. EGR adapter, 3 header bolts, motor mount shims, dipstick tube spacer, copper washers, etc.

burt ragio
05-13-2011, 05:15 AM
Has ther ever been dyno numbers posted with these headers ?