PDA

View Full Version : Musclemerc's CAI Kit

musclemerc
05-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I wanted a new CAI for awhile now but everything on the market was in my mind a poor attempt at a true CAI.

The JLT, was my original choice in a CAI mainly because of its price, it's hard to beat for the money but CAI it is not. I data logged IATs for over a month with the heat shield installed and without and what I came up with is this.

Cruising IATs: 99*~*110* (10*~19* above ambient)
At a stop IATs are: 140*~146* (51*~57* above ambient)
ECTs: 190*
Ambient Temps: 89*

The JLTs tube has a nice thick 1/2" wall to protect it from engine heat but the downfall with this kit is the heatshield, it's inadequate at best being only a piece of 1/8" ABS plastic. When you get to a stop and the fan is running the IATs will climb through the roof and remain there until you get alot of air built up under the hood. Another downfall on the JLT is it looks like its made from plumbing supplies

I dont have any datalogged information on the K&N CAI but I can assume it will produce slightly higher IATs due to the fact that its entire construction is 1/8" ABS including the zip tube (it does not have a 1/2" wall construction like the JLT) It should also have the same spike in IATs at an extended stop with the heat from the radiator fan washing into the air mixture

DRs kit will not be included in this so we can avoid another internet fued, but I will say this. SS heat shield and CAI cannot be used in the same sentence. If you wrap a conical filter that tight in a piece of SS it acts like an oven or a heating element

Now on to my prototype CAI kit.

I had a list of materials and stuck with these specific parts for design till the end. Laminated ABS plastic construction, silicone turbo quality connectors, an aluminum zip tube, and T-bolt fastners to finish it up.

For my kit to function as a true CAI I knew it would have to be diffrent from anything out there so I will walk everyone through my building process.

The zip tube had to ba a thick walled aluminum for 2 reasons
1) Aluminum cools faster than any other comparable materials
2) The thick wall will insulate the cool air inside the zip tube from engine temps under the hood
Air and aluminum are just meant to be together look at the I.D. of my zip tube, by default it moves air most efficiently

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum126-1.jpg

Next I had to make a fully sealed enclusure that will still fit under the hood but still have the least amount of restriction. The other guys have limited themselves to not using a fully sealed enclosure because they use the wrong filter element. With a Cone type conical filter all you can do is build a heat shield anything else will be too big.

I went outside of the box and used a sealed enclosure that utilizes a panel filter that is completely removable for service. This panel filter lives at the original stock CAI location with one exception, I removed the entire piece of steel that blocked the stock opening so this filter is completely unrestricted

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum129-1.jpg

The airbox is made of multiple layers of laminated 1/8" ABS with the side walls measuring up to 1/2" and the lid and base comming in at almost 3/4" thickness. My box is too thick for the hot engine air to penetrate.

When all was said and done here is my new datalogged information

Cruising IATs: 85* :eek: -4* below ambient temp :eek:
At a stop IATs are: 93* -only 4* above ambient-
ECTs: 190*
Ambient temps: 89*

Here is my youtube video with some datalogging on a 88* day in Mississippi:
1OcEaJJbKxs

This is a TRUE CAI kit, it does exactly what its engineered to do, and thats deliver cold air as efficiently as possible. :D
We all know the cooler the charge the more HP the engine can produce

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum135-1.jpg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum139-1.jpg

My throttle resopnse is crisp, it responds to the slightest touch. It's just amazing, its got more get up and go than ever before.

Earlier today I went WOT and normally I break the tires on my 1st~2nd shift. This time is got sideways on me at about 55~60mph but I backpeddled it a little and got back into it. The sound is even more pronounced than with the other CAI I've used in the past

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum137-1.jpg

I forgot to mention the new matching catch can :cool:
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum138-1-1.jpg

ImpalaSlayer
05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
win.........

JoeBoomz
05-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Looks good! Those pictures are larger than life ;)

I will be datalogging quite a bit on a NA setup with K&N CAI in the near future and can try to help you out with those numbers when I have them if you're still interested.

ctrlraven
05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Win on the intake.... fail on the holy enormous picture sizes. lol

Resize them! haha.

musclemerc
05-12-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm working on the pics right now!!!

musclemerc
05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Pics are now fixed.

-Matt-
05-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Thumbs up buddy!!

Ktorres1
05-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Looks very nice... price ?

Smalldogg/03mm
05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Very nice how much bud??????

slickster
05-12-2011, 03:48 PM
How about $175 :)

Marauder Rick
05-12-2011, 04:04 PM
good job....now u can get started on one for the eaton swap.:drool::drool:

Mercguy04
05-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Another WINNER for MuscleMerc. Looks Very Effective. This one will do as discribed.
I can see it will also work for Blowers on either Left or Right side, as will many other
applications. I am proud to say I have some of MuscleMercs products and now I see
another in the mix.
Travis and I talked about a custom set up and he was very willing to help build his
new Air Box to adapt to what I would need to complete my project.
Now that is Customer Service at it's best. Thank you for not only being creative,
but for coming up with innovative ideas and products for our cars.
5 Star Rating for Creativeness, Production Value, and Bring to Market a product that
works.
Best of Luck :banana::banana2::beer:

sailsmen
05-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Very Innovative. :banana2:

The Cent guys maybe able to use the box.

musclemerc
05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
good job....now u can get started on one for the eaton swap.:drool::drool:

Another WINNER for MuscleMerc. Looks Very Effective. This one will do as discribed.
I can see it will also work for Blowers on either Left or Right side, as will many other
applications. I am proud to say I have some of MuscleMercs products and now I see
another in the mix.
Travis and I talked about a custom set up and he was very willing to help build his
new Air Box to adapt to what I would need to complete my project.
Now that is Customer Service at it's best. Thank you for not only being creative,
but for coming up with innovative ideas and products for our cars.
5 Star Rating for Creativeness, Production Value, and Bring to Market a product that
works.
Best of Luck :banana::banana2::beer:

You got a good eye Russell, it will work N/A, Trilogy, and Eaton Swap. The only trick to the Eaton Swap would be to flip the box when I build it.

I forgot to mention another reason my box has a cooling effect. I laminated the inside of the box with 3 layers of 1/8" ABS using epoxy between each sheet of ABS which gives the box almost 1/2" thickness. The lid and sightglass is made from 2 sheets of 1/8 clear acrylic sandwiched between 2 sheets of 1/8" ABS.

Yes the lid and base is almost 3/4" thick ;)

ntd
05-12-2011, 04:25 PM
If my application allowed it's use you would have my money, great looking product, factual information as to why it works, what else could you want. Keep up the good work:beer:

rayjay
05-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Very innovative! Awaiting pricing.

LANDY
05-12-2011, 04:39 PM
That looks great Travis. It matches perfect with the colors under the hood.

Cobra25
05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I have to give credit when it is do, Very Very nice. You did a great job!

MMBLUE
05-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Travis, this great is great to see the finished product. I have seen the begining stages of this project, and now to see the final product is awesome. (just one thing missing in the looking glass, hehe) I'm proud of ya bud. Again, another Musclemerc innovation. Hey on another note, maybe you can come join us for the SSM picnic.

LANDY
05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Travis, this great is great to see the finished product. I have seen the begining stages of this project, and now to see the final product is awesome. (just one thing missing in the looking glass, hehe) I'm proud of ya bud. Again, another Musclemerc innovation. Hey on another note, maybe you can come join us for the SSM picnic. Travis Maybe you can send a sample to mmblue and we can see it and show it at the picnic in a couple of weeks.

musclemerc
05-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Travis, this great is great to see the finished product. I have seen the begining stages of this project, and now to see the final product is awesome. (just one thing missing in the looking glass, hehe) I'm proud of ya bud. Again, another Musclemerc innovation. Hey on another note, maybe you can come join us for the SSM picnic.

It's been alot of beta testing, hell I built like 2~3 versions of this kit (some I may sell on the cheap). I'm glad its finally DONE!!! :banana2:

Like they say 3rd time is the charm ;)

MMBLUE
05-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Travis Maybe you can send a sample to mmblue and we can see it and show it at the picnic in a couple of weeks.

I second that. Or maybe he can bring his in his car.

rayjay
05-12-2011, 05:09 PM
It's been alot of beta testing, hell I built like 2~3 versions of this kit (some I may sell on the cheap). I'm glad its finally DONE!!! :banana2:

Are you going to dyno these?

slickster
05-12-2011, 05:22 PM

I got dibs on the best concept

a_d_a_m
05-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Yet another interesting adaptation (and apparent improvement) of an already-existing product. I'd be interested in seeing dyno and/or dragstrip results before/after with this kit. And since I have a K&N and love it...hmmm...might be interested in giving this a shot too.

Hotrauder
05-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Travis, WTF...I thought i was done with mods years ago and suddenly I am back having fun and spending money on the FruitPunch buying your great ideas. This is another winner. Got a Musclemerc logo for the tube or box? Gotta merchandize the brain work, man. Sign me up again. Dennis:beer:

Dragcity
05-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Dammit! Just send me your routing number and I'll have me pay direct deosited to you Travis.

Nice job.

Mr. Man
05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Besides your box being very thick for heat resistance whats the big difference between what you made and just dropping a drop in K&N filter into the stock airbox?:)

musclemerc
05-12-2011, 07:54 PM
^^^^ :rolleyes: Easy the stock airbox pulls the air through a small 2"~3" opening. My kit pulls cold air in from the entire front panel.
As I said I removed the entire piece of metal in the engine bay to make my kit more efficient.

The stock air box is divided into 2 halves, the bottom is unfiltered and has the small inlet behind the headlamp for cold air, the MAF lives at the top of the box and is protected by the panel filter. The problem with this design is the bottom of the box gets contaminated with debris and has an adverse effect on airflow. I remember removing leaves and dirt from the bottom of my stock airbox.

Nothing can penetrate my airbox and I put a porthole in it just so you can see through it ;)

MercNasty
05-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Man, i want to be first on the list for one of these joints, that thing looks real sexy with the matching catch can.

musclemerc
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
You are on the backorder list for the catch cans

justbob
05-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Looks to be a 4" zip tube for the 90MM MAF. Is this correct? LOVE IT.

musclemerc
05-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Yes, I adapted down for the stock 80MM MAF, a 90MM MAF will fit just perfect. I tried my Lightning MAF already

Edit: I order the tube in the correct I.D./O.D. for my application. My supplier also mandrel bends 4"~6" tube

justbob
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Waiting for you know what...

guspech750
05-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Looks pretty bad ass!! Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone
Go White Sox!!!

TAKEDOWN
05-12-2011, 10:26 PM
As long as it fits my Trilogy TwinScrew I'm ALL IN Travis!!!

CBT
05-13-2011, 03:15 AM
As long as it fits my Trilogy TwinScrew I'm ALL IN Travis!!!

Calm down Braggy Braggerton, lol!:bop:

If my swap was done I would try this out.... :alone:

MMBLUE
05-13-2011, 05:18 AM

I'll let him tell ya. ;)

Mote
05-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Travis, I'm interested in installation instructions - Just hammer it in place? :) Welding? Do I have to remove/relocate anything?

Man, if this really improves throttle response (the slight lag drives me nuts) I am IN

I love the racecar looks. Yes it needs a MuscleMerc logo. Can I get a MuscleMerc shirt with that?

musclemerc
05-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Well thats a good question. What needs to be modified to make my kit work? Lets look at the process.

First you will need to relocate the silencer for the airbag compressor. I moved mine into the compressor box to help keep it dry. So everytime my MM turns off the compressor box gets a good blow job ;)

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum144-1.jpg

Next the speed sensor has to be relocated to the side of the compressor box, the wire harness for the MAF needs to be relocated to the bottom of the support bracket.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum145-1-1.jpg

Here comes the hard part. The back area behind the headlamp was completely removed (within the engine bay). These were primed and painted flat black before I installed the kit.
I left the front section intact to prevent the filter from being saturated with moisture during a rain. You can look through and see if the headlamp was removed this would show to be a great benefit at the track.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum142-1.jpg

Gotta put a high quality sealant around the opening so there is no chance engine temps will saturate the filter element.
Notice the holes straight down? Thats a good thing the OEM did to allow more air int the stock airbox. Those holes go straight down to the area behind the fog light where its WIDE OPEN.

I also had to remove the mounting tab for the OEM kit, this is done so I can keep the zip tube tight within the engine bay. Hood rub is not an issue with my CAI.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum146-1.jpg

In the end it was 100% worth the effort and I'm more than pleased with the way this kit performs. I constantly show an IAT that is below ambient temps and have also killed the sharp increase of IATs at an extended stop, they are now limited to just a few degrees over ambient temp.

By design I can say it is "THE BEST CAI KIT" ever designed for the MM platform.

It's truly a Cold Air Kit!!!!

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/photoalbum128-1.jpg

gdmjoe
05-13-2011, 07:17 AM
You've Got PM!

ctrlraven
05-13-2011, 07:41 AM
That is full of win especially for those of us that remove our headlight when we hit the track.

slickster
05-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Ok so the inlet behind the headlight has to be cut square to match the panel filter

musclemerc
05-13-2011, 11:24 AM
:bricks:

How about $175 :)

Thats funny, with other vendors $175.00 would'nt get you an air filter.

:eek: $250.00 will get you a heat shield, filter, and a MAF adapter. :eek:
Surely you can value my kit for more than that. :flamer:

I fully agree with you that adding the color to the engraving would be a nice touch. Now regardless of what a few people think I am not making a lot on this kit, so when the price is posted if you want the kit fine, if not Travis has one Bruce has one and K&N. This is a polished SS cover, a powder coated base, a custom S&B air filter that is shown in this thread here. If I could order twenty I could get them cheaper. I can not do this, so I feel 250.00 is a fair price. The K&N goes for that if we want to try a group buy of ten or more I am sure I can lower the price. I also can get the tube used on the K&N if any one is interested for a small additional fee you want to spend more I can get it painted to look just like carbn fibor, I should have one kit here next week for all to look at, I hope every one has a safe weekend.

slickster
05-13-2011, 11:56 AM
:bricks:

Thats funny, with other vendors $175.00 would'nt get you an air filter.

$250.00 will get you a heat shield, filter, and a MAF adapter.
Surely you can value my kit for more than that. :flamer:

Hi I was doing the buyers Job of starting low. I would not blame you for wanting 300

musclemerc
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I know, i'm the same way.

Filby'sMarauder
05-13-2011, 05:08 PM
What filter are you using? Just curious because I already have the drop in K&N. I wondered if that was what you used? Probably ordering another Musclemerc product. If it is the drop in, what's your price without the filter?

musclemerc
05-13-2011, 05:56 PM
The filter is not a MM drop in. Look at the size of the filter on the front of my kit. The drop in K&N is huge, it will not fit inside of my box.

Hadamustang1
05-14-2011, 06:29 AM
it will not fit inside of my box.

To easy.. Thats what she said..

DEFYANT
05-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Diggin it. Group buy?

sailsmen
05-15-2011, 05:55 AM
Finnally a true CAI that exceeds the factory. :D

I remember waaaay back when we were told Ford spent a lot of time on the air filter intake assembly and it was the best they had ever put on a car ever.

I saw many attempts to improve on what Ford put on as OEM and none appeared to be a "CAI", they all appeared to me to be "HAI".:hotrice:

We now have a true CAI :snowman:

Smalldogg/03mm
05-15-2011, 06:03 AM
How much and when will it b ready.. Keep the goodies coming.. I love spending money on my car...

musclemerc
05-15-2011, 08:42 AM
How much and when will it b ready.. Keep the goodies coming.. I love spending money on my car...

Diggin it. Group buy?

I remember waaaay back when we were told Ford spent a lot of time on the air filter intake assembly and it was the best they had ever put on a car ever.

I saw many attempts to improve on what Ford put on as OEM and none appeared to be a "CAI", they all appeared to me to be "HAI".:hotrice:

I need to learn how to embed a video file within a post. I have video for the non-believers that say this is "impossible to be at, or -below ambient temp"
My video shows my MM running at full operating temp with a -below ambient IAT reading, at a stop I get just over ambient within 2*~4*

There is no question if this is the only CAI for a Marauder...

Cold...

Air....

Induction....

;) ;) ;) ;)

Spectragod
05-15-2011, 08:48 AM
subscribing..... waiting for price....

J.bo
05-17-2011, 03:10 AM

This is true. I just reinstalled my stock air box and the car feels alot better throttle response. That is after driving it for 20 mins. I took out the open element with the surround shield (K&N type filter). I don't have the rushing intake sound but my throttle response feels like I gain power.

The other option (pretty and shiny) for use claims to pull in cold air just like Musclemerc CAI. Has anybody seen this setup? Is it fully inclosed from engine heat and sealed to the front so to pull air out of the fender only? Just wondering cause I haven't seen any pics of the other option on how it seals.

musclemerc
05-17-2011, 04:14 AM
Well J.Bo, the other option DOES NOT SEAL... Look at it there is an open gap that separates the HAI from the stock opening behind the headlamp. Which do you think would deliver the coolest air? A 3/4" thick laminated ABS box or a filter w***** up tight in a piece of polished stainless steel?

I'm willing to bet the one wrapped in stainless steel WILL be the hotbox, especially after the radiator fan kicks in and washes it with HOT air.

Be a smart consumer and do your homework. Look at the materials used between the 2 kits. **Well now I think about it there is only 1 that is a true KIT** (meaning complete from the filter to the throttle body)

What you dont like paying $250 for just a filter and a heat shield?

MercOut
05-17-2011, 05:10 AM
Add me to the list. I want one too

J.bo
05-17-2011, 06:01 AM
Well J.Bo, the other option DOES NOT SEAL... Look at it there is an open gap that separates the HAI from the stock opening behind the headlamp. Which do you think would deliver the coolest air? A 3/4" thick laminated ABS box or a filter w***** up tight in a piece of polished stainless steel?

I'm willing to bet the one wrapped in stainless steel WILL be the hotbox, especially after the radiator fan kicks in and washes it with HOT air.

Be a smart consumer and do your homework. Look at the materials used between the 2 kits. **Well now I think about it there is only 1 that is a true KIT** (meaning complete from the filter to the throttle body)

What you dont like paying $250 for just a filter and a heat shield?

No don't want to pay that if it is going to be the same result as my K&N type.

I'm doing my homework but some questions. Will you kit work with other intake tubes like Metco carbon fiber, Jlt, or K&N? If not at this time will you consider looking into making that happen so those of use that already have some type of intake tube could just use your cai box?

musclemerc
05-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Unfortunately J.Bo, no it wont. The reason is I dont have the other tubes at my diposal when I'm building my kit. If you want you can send me a tube and I can make a custom box for it but I gotta ask, why would you want me to do it this way?

The few bucks you save will defeat the purpose.

My kit has a specific design from start to finish, the zip tube, silicone connectors, and T-bolts play an intricate role in keeping IATs down. The tube for the K&N is only 1/8" thick and will allow hot engine temps to penetrate it. Same is true with the rubber connectors that come with other kits, they will also allow heat to penetrate them. Thats why I use turbo quality silicone connectors, the silicone can take alot more heat than the rubber. It will disipate heat at a faster rate too same is said for my zip tube, the thick walled aluminum flows better, cools faster, and resists high engine temps

BeanSS
05-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Looks damn good brochacho!!

CBT
05-18-2011, 03:14 AM
Looks damn good brochacho!!

...brochacho, lol. stealing that one...

i'm gonna let rex be the tester on this mod, i'm a long way from eaton swappage. :popcorn:

musclemerc
05-18-2011, 04:12 AM
^^ Rex's kit will be 1 off, it will not look like this one due to a lack of space from the Eaton swap. I have to get creative on how to implement my design in such a confined space.

I guess I have to show my hand and release my RAI kit sooner :eek:

musclemerc
05-19-2011, 06:36 AM
My kit is ready for production. The cost will be $416.00 shipped they are on my site posted on page#3.

slickster
05-19-2011, 06:51 AM
How about a group buy of 10 or 20.....do they come with a filter

musclemerc
05-19-2011, 07:05 AM
How did I know I was gonna have the pleasure of doing this to you Pops?

slickster
05-19-2011, 07:08 AM
Not trying to knock a product but it whould be cool to get some dyno numbers or if not sendd it to one of the vendors with a dyno

DOOM
05-19-2011, 07:10 AM
How did I know I was gonna have the pleasure of doing this to you Pops?

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!! :banana2: :banana2:

Pops
05-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Sorry you do not want me in your forum travis! Delete away!

musclemerc
05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Well its not like you have been any type of friend to me over the years.
Both you and Dennis have pursued me without cause.

But to follow up on your point, I have datalogs that show my only claim. LOWER IATs

I have yet to make any type of HP claim, but my dyno is comming and even then you will move the goal posts

Wont you?

Pops
05-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Just prove what you claim. Another member asked about the dyno and you ignored him! What makes me diffarant. CAI intakes have had lots of research and dyno time performed before they were released for sales. The companies that produce them have hard to data to back up the product. Do You! Spend the money as they have and you will get my respect. I am done now. Carry on Gents!

musclemerc
05-19-2011, 09:50 AM
1OcEaJJbKxs

This is the only claim I make reguarding my CAI kit.

Your IATs will be -BELOW AMBIENT TEMP when other CAI kits will have you running +10*~20* above ambient my kit will be 2*~4* -BELOW ambient temp. At a stop my CAI kit will raise up +4* above ambient while others at the same stop will be +50*~60* above ambient.

na svt
05-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Just prove what you claim. Another member asked about the dyno and you ignored him! What makes me diffarant. CAI intakes have had lots of research and dyno time performed before they were released for sales. The companies that produce them have hard to data to back up the product. Do You! Spend the money as they have and you will get my respect. I am done now. Carry on Gents!

Do you really beleive that all those companies have "hard data" to back their clsims? As for those that have "dyno backed results", beware as most of it is crap. I've installed CAIs/RAIs that have dyno backed results and the hp gain I realized was a big "0." JLT, C&L, WMS, BBK, all of them. I don't beleive the hp claims of many of the aftermarket companies or those hp claims provided in magazine articles. MMR says you can get 20rwhp from their throttle body and 10-12rwhp from a spacer, do you believe those claims? What about the supposed 18rwhp gain from their electric water pump? I've also seen PHP claim 20hp for a cobra air box and 18-25hp and an extended rpm range of 500-800rpm for an extrude honed intake. With that spacer, ported intake, throttle body and water pump we all could pick up 70hp or more without even adding headers.

If manufacturers only sold items that were proven to make more power the aftermarket would 1/2 the size it is now.

Regarding musclemerc's CAI, he claims it provides colder air and if these claims are true, it works. With that, cold air means more power. Lower IATs mean you can dial in more timing so what's not to like?

musclemerc
05-19-2011, 09:59 AM
FYI Todd... I'm not well liked around here. Most would perfer I dissapear.
I could invent the one thing that could save the world and these guys would'nt give up even then

na svt
05-19-2011, 10:02 AM
FYI Todd... I'm not well liked around here. Most would perfer I dissapear.
I could invent the one thing that could save the world and these guys would'nt give up even then
If we were all liked this would be a boring world.

sailsmen
05-19-2011, 10:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OcEaJJbKxs

This is the only claim I make reguarding my CAI kit.

Your IATs will be -BELOW AMBIENT TEMP when other CAI kits will have you running +10*~20* above ambient my kit will be 2*~4* -BELOW ambient temp. At a stop my CAI kit will raise up +4* above ambient while others at the same stop will be +50*~60* above ambient.

I am very impressed with your CAI. It is the first one I have seen that draws outside air.:D

I am very curious as to how your kit lowers IAT to below the Ambient Temp? Please explain how it lowers the IAT below the "AMBIENT TEMP"?

Do you mean below the measured temp?

musclemerc
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
If we were all liked this would be a boring world.

Why do you think I got so much fire? They drive me, it keeps me going. LOL!!!

SC Cheesehead
05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I am very impressed with your CAI. It is the first one I have seen that draws outside air.:D

I am very curious as to how your kit lowers IAT to below the Ambient Temp? Please explain how it lowers the IAT below the "AMBIENT TEMP"?

I'm thinking he meant ambient engine bay temp.

musclemerc
05-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Outside Air Temp.= ambient temp.

Not engine bay temps.

The ambient temp is registered from the EATC control, IAT is registered from the sensor inside the MAF. My testing started with a Stock CAI, then I tested my JLT, then I tested 3 versions of my CAI. All with the same eqipment all on days with the same temp and humidity readings

I even started a thread last week and got IAT readings from other members including you sailsmen. http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71010

So how did you get your ambient temp reading? The same way I got mine?

#12 (http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1044120&postcount=12) http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/report.php?p=1044120)

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM
http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/image.php?u=672&dateline=1297043900 (http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=672)sailsmen (http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=672) http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Contributing Member
http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/ranks/supporter.gifhttp://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/ranks/supporter.gifhttp://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/ranks/supporter.gifhttp://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/ranks/supporter.gifhttp://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/ranks/supporter.gif

Images: 52 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=672)
Trader: (1 (http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/itrader.php?u=672))
Post Feedback (http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/itrader_feedback.php?u=672)

The highest I see at closed throttle is about 12* above ambient.
Air to Air dyno was 115*.
My IAT hit 167* at the track when ambient was 95*.
At 19 psi the water to air could not extract the heat. IAT at the track was 220*. Switched to air to air and IAT 125* to 167*at the track.
Water to Air At the Dyno the temps were 170*.
My IAT is measured before the Meth.

ps With out posting your mods the IAT is meaningless.:rolleyes:

- 300A/ Build 2002
- 78 of 7839
- S/C ET 11.556/ 122.51 MPH / 60' 1.735 (46*/55%)
- 135K Miles & 249+ 1,320' Runs
- Original OEM Heads & Block REPLACED 95K Miles
- Cobra Reman Long Block
- Reinhart Vortec "T" Trim 541.57 RWHP/476.64 RWTQ
- Kooks Headers, X Pipe, Snow Methanol
- GT MAF/60lb inj/Dash 8/Aero rails/Mini-race bypass
- Monroe Sensatrac/KVR Sport/31 Ford Spline&Carrier
- Metco Control Arms/PI 3500 TC/Dynotec MMX
- AeroForce / AutoPage
- 8 Rib w/ Innovators 10% Over & 2.85" Vortech High-Traction
My Garage for Mods (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=672)

SC Cheesehead
05-19-2011, 01:39 PM

Outside Air Temp.= ambient temp.

Not engine bay temps.

The ambient temp is registered from the EATC control, IAT is registered from the sensor inside the MAF. My testing started with a Stock CAI, then I tested my JLT, then I tested 3 versions of my CAI. All with the same eqipment all on days with the same temp and humidity readings

I even started a thread last week and got IAT readings from other members including you sailsmen. http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71010

So how did you get your ambient temp reading? The same way I got mine?

I'm curious about getting cooler than ambient as well, logic (to me anyway) would indicate that your could match ambient by drawing in outside air, but how can you get below it without some sort of mechanical cooling? (Not doubting you can do it, I'm just not smart enough to get it figgered out... ;))

Blackened300a
05-19-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't know about using the outside temp readout as a accurate measuring device of ambient temperature. Mine is all over the place and I could have 3 cars parked beside me and we would all be a degree or two off on the display.

sailsmen
05-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Perhaps a better word than ambient would be the EATC Outside temp reading.

FYI, the EATC Outside temp sensor for my MM is not in the stock location.

As stated we are trying to figure out how the IAT could be less than the "outside temp".

Technically I think MuscleMerc is correct in that Ambient means around an area, in this case around the EATC Outside Temp sensor.

Depending on location the EATC Outside Temp sensor can read higher than outside temp.

musclemerc
05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm curious about getting cooler than ambient as well, logic (to me anyway) would indicate that your could match ambient by drawing in outside air, but how can you get below it without some sort of mechanical cooling? (Not doubting you can do it, I'm just not smart enough to get it figgered out... ;))

I cant tell you guys everything I do to make my kits work, some parts of my construction are proprietary. It needs to stay that way until my patent application is finished being processed ;)

I don't know about using the outside temp readout as a accurate measuring device of ambient temperature. Mine is all over the place and I could have 3 cars parked beside me and we would all be a degree or two off on the display.

Were not talking about 1 or 2 degrees, my kit is 10*~15* cooler than anything out there

Perhaps a better word than ambient would be the EATC Outside temp reading.

FYI, the EATC Outside temp sensor for my MM is not in the stock location.

As stated we are trying to figure out how the IAT could be less than the "outside temp".

Technically I think MuscleMerc is correct in that Ambient means around an area, in this case around the EATC Outside Temp sensor.

Depending on location the EATC Outside Temp sensor can read higher than outside temp.

Keep moving the goal posts. My temp sensor is in the stock location and works just fine. How can you dispute the fact that I tested several CAI kits and got VERY diffrent results only when mine was tested.

I want to keep my thread on track. This is my CAI thread not my IAT thread. Any additional comments about ITAs need to be posted here:

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71010

Everyone can get envolved and comment (Pops) its in the Shop Forum ;)

SC Cheesehead
05-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I cant tell you guys everything I do to make my kits work, some parts of my construction are proprietary. It needs to stay that way until my patent application is finished being processed ;)

Gotcha, I wasn't thinking outside the box (so to speak... ;)).

jstevens
05-19-2011, 04:09 PM
keep bring'un the competition. Its healthy.

sailsmen
05-19-2011, 04:14 PM
No goal post being moved here and no facts are being disputed. Discussion is to understand the data and to learn. That is what this board is all about.

When I and probably others see "Your IATs will be -BELOW AMBIENT TEMP" I mistakenly assume ambient as being outside air temp. I now realize ambient is the EATC sensor reading.

Looking at your design I have not doubt your CAI has the lowest IATs for it is the only one I know of that draws outside air.:snowman:

I moved my EATC sensor closer to the front grill to read closer to outside air temps.

Are you claiming your materials extract heat while not absorbing the heat from underhood resulting in air passing thru the CAI that is lower than the outside temp? If so that is also more than what any other CAI does that I know of.

J.bo
05-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Where is the EATC sensor located? Moving the sensor closer to the grill gains a better reading for the tune or what? Moving the sensor did it benefit what you were trying to do and do you think it better off closer to the grille for any application?

musclemerc
05-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey J.Bo, the IAT discussion has moved to here:
http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71010

SpartaPerformance
05-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Looks interesting especially being it can be used both driver and passenger inlet forced induction, what does it flow compared to the mainstream kits? Any CFM comparison?

justbob
05-21-2011, 01:31 PM
This is why I have no interest in fabbing and selling. Air flow, dyno results, ETC. This will never be a massed produced part that would make a profit from such tests. This is a CAI made by a good standing member that claims MUCH lower IAT's and him, just like most here, I trust. I totally get the questioning, but at the same time he needs to make a profit, and I do not want pay a premium for those facts.

Thanks Travis, I will be in touch the second I scrape some dough.

SpartaPerformance
05-21-2011, 04:40 PM
This is why I have no interest in fabbing and selling. Air flow, dyno results, ETC. This will never be a massed produced part that would make a profit from such tests. This is a CAI made by a good standing member that claims MUCH lower IAT's and him, just like most here, I trust. I totally get the questioning, but at the same time he needs to make a profit, and I do not want pay a premium for those facts.

Thanks Travis, I will be in touch the second I scrape some dough.

What? Testing doesn't cost that much where it would impact profit. When I tested my parts it cost me the initial set, for example the front A-arm bushings I'm sending to one of my clients to test on a cop car to see how they perform so it's costing me a set of bushings and I out of curiosity want to know if they work. It's not that expensive to flow test a CAI as for comparison all you have to do is call other manufacturers and ask them CFM rates on theirs wont dent Travis' profit margin but will benefit him with more information on his unit when other ask him about it

justbob
05-21-2011, 11:06 PM
What? Testing doesn't cost that much where it would impact profit. When I tested my parts it cost me the initial set, for example the front A-arm bushings I'm sending to one of my clients to test on a cop car to see how they perform so it's costing me a set of bushings and I out of curiosity want to know if they work. It's not that expensive to flow test a CAI as for comparison all you have to do is call other manufacturers and ask them CFM rates on theirs wont dent Travis' profit margin but will benefit him with more information on his unit when other ask him about it

Then you are basing the wear and tear on a single car in one environment. What kind of real world time would you have to wait for longevity results then? That's even less scientific than what was claimed here. And as for comfort, who decides? One officer? Two? I appreciate what BOTH of you have done for us and always looking for something new to make, but what you are doing is truly no different than what Travis did. Once again, that works for me, your stuff AND his.