PDA

View Full Version : New front brakes @ 32k ??

MMM2003
01-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Well,

I have put over 32000 miles on my MM in the last 17 months.
I'm getting some squealing noise from the front brakes, so I'm guessing I'll be up for a front brake service.

My questions are:

How do I check the brake pads (Micrometer, Caliper, tape measure?) and how "much" is consider good/ bad and replace now?

What's your experience with just getting new pads, or should I get new Rotors and pads or the the rotors turned with new pads?

Does anyone have the Part#'s and pricing for the following:

Front Rotors
Brake Pads

Anyone know if there are different grades brake pads available to fit our MM?

Would the DR carbon fibre pads fit on stock caliper and rotor?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I would appreciate anyone's input and opinion.

TIA !

Peter aka MMM2003

Smokie
01-07-2004, 05:47 PM
I'll try to get you started, first; squealing may not mean the pads are worn out but you can turn your steering wheel to stop and check both the inside and outboard pads and rotors easily, I like to see at least 1/8" of pad, anyless I replace them. If you don't have grooves in your rotors and your brake pedal does not fluctuate up and down while stopping you don't need to do anything to rotors, just change the pads.
I don't know any part numbers and others members I am sure will provide more info to help you decide.

jgc61sr2002
01-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Peter - You must do a lot of highway driving. 32K on the original pads is not bad. I would use the factory brake pads. If there is a pulsating in the brake pedal I would also change the rotors. They old ones can be cut if necessary. IMO rotors should be replaced rather than cut. P.S also check the rear pads.

Bigdogjim
01-07-2004, 06:49 PM
First off you need a good garage.

squealing noise from the front brakes--Can be just dirt. Does not always mean brakes are shot. Check to on the safe side.

How do I check the brake pads? Micrometer --Yes.

Rotors can be turned. Once! The person doing it has to know what they are doing.

If you get a pulsating in the brake pedal then the rotors are more then likely warped and will need to replace.

Murader03
01-07-2004, 11:01 PM
I've got 44K plus on my original brakes. They are checked by my servicing dealer at every oil change (5K interval). In a previous '92 CV LX with the HPP package, I averaged 50K between brake jobs. I expect the same here. My old ride, '99 Cobra, was at 100K with the orginal clutch and brakes when I traded for the MM. I would use the OEM pads unless your upgrading to performance pads. I'm sure there are some out there somewhere that can be used.

merc406
01-07-2004, 11:11 PM
32,000 miles if it is brakes isn't bad for a heavy car. Up to 70 percent of brake pressure is at the frt brake's. Frt's will usually always be first to go.

RCSignals
01-08-2004, 03:15 AM
Rotors are definitely checked with a micrometer.
I was taught that it is always best to surface rotors. As Big dog says, this can often only be done once before replacement is necessary.
There is school of thought that surfacing rotors isn't necessary, and some people don't. Personally I would, as it is better IMO, to match new pads with a fresh rotor surface. If you don't you will not be maintaining full contact until the pads wear to match the worn surface of the rotor, which also may have the result of shortening the life of the pads.

SergntMac
01-08-2004, 05:52 AM
DR's pads are made for the OEM caliper, his brand should stop better than OEM pads, but the brake dust will be a PITA.

32K is very good wear and tear on OEM brakes, I'm impressed.

Run your finger over the rotor, if you can percieve "ruts", the rotors should be turned, or, replaced. If you decide to replace, this may be the time to look at brake upgrade kits, the cost of replacing the OEM will rock you.

You may get away with a warranty claim, but don't hold your breath.

jfclancy
01-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Had A SQUEAL coming from the fornt on mine at 16,450 miles,went to my local Midas dealer he checked them our showed me there was a little dust, and judging from wear to come back at 50,000 and have them checked again. So as mentioned earlier I would suggest having them checked instead of just buying replacements.

Joe Clancy

SheboyganGuy
01-08-2004, 12:32 PM
I've noticed an occasional brake squeal with my MM (6,500 miles). This didn't happen until AFTER they ground the brake calipers to mount the snow tires... I'm thinking there may be some metal dust in there... Maybe this is the problem, MMM???

O's Fan Rich
01-08-2004, 12:51 PM
When I had new front pads put on at the dealer for my 99 Vic ( at 36k I might add)
The new pads made a mess of those wheels, and them things be hard to clean!
Is there a "low dust" pad? Or am I wishing in one hand and crapping in the other?
This thread is funny, just yesterday, I drove Mom and Dad to Philthadelphia to catch a plane back to Florida. Dad asked me how many miles I have on the MM (turned 20k yesterday). When I asked why, he commented on how I was braking and driving the car, his car, the 2002 LSE Lincoln. If he could have only been along for the ride home... he'd of been mumbling then .

merc406
01-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Brake dust sheilds are avail. through Jegs cat., listed in the wheels pages. I have seen them at PEP Boys also. Also they come in colors or the metal look. Mr. Gasket makes the one's in the Jegs cat., along with the SS one's by APC. Size's range from 15" to 17". Look around for your size, I'm sure they are made by someone out there, or just not listed in this particular cat.

Murader03
01-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by SheboyganGuy
I've noticed an occasional brake squeal with my MM (6,500 miles). This didn't happen until AFTER they ground the brake calipers to mount the snow tires... I'm thinking there may be some metal dust in there... Maybe this is the problem, MMM???

Why would the calipers need to be ground on to mount snow tires? I suspect the rims you bought for this purpose were not the correct fit for the MM! An inquiring mind!

Krytin
01-25-2004, 12:11 PM
When I had new front pads put on at the dealer for my 99 Vic ( at 36k I might add)
The new pads made a mess of those wheels, and them things be hard to clean!
Is there a "low dust" pad? Or am I wishing in one hand and crapping in the other?
This thread is funny, just yesterday, I drove Mom and Dad to Philthadelphia to catch a plane back to Florida. Dad asked me how many miles I have on the MM (turned 20k yesterday). When I asked why, he commented on how I was braking and driving the car, his car, the 2002 LSE Lincoln. If he could have only been along for the ride home... he'd of been mumbling then .

The "Wheel Wax" available @ Tire Rack works wonders @ repelling brake dust. I used to have to really scrub the insides of the wheels. One application 6 months ago and all I do is wash them w/sponge and hose off!

MMM2003
03-15-2004, 05:09 PM
The "Wheel Wax" available @ Tire Rack works wonders @ repelling brake dust. I used to have to really scrub the insides of the wheels. One application 6 months ago and all I do is wash them w/sponge and hose off!

Hey,

I know it's an old thread, but I finally got around to measure the brake pads.
I only checked the front and they measure 8mm on the pads.
It's my understanding that they come new with about 12mm of material.
My dealer told me that they usually don't change them until they get down to 2-3mm. I'll probably do that before than, but at least I'm good for now.

I have just passed 36000 miles, so technically the brakes should be good for 70-80k.

Thanks for everyone's response !

Peter aka MMM2003

jgc61sr2002
03-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Peter - You must be easy on the brakes or do a lot of highway driving. The pads are only one third gone. Great. :D

KSMM03
12-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Got 65k on the original pads and rotors, which is suprising the heck out of me. Think I got about 36k on a 1985 Mustang a bunch of years ago.

Then again, I live in Kansas, use the car as a daily driver and have driven back and forth to various points on the East Coast numerous times.:)