PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating Service Now Available!

wchain
01-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi Folks!
just wanted you to know that I have a reliable source for Powdercoating now. I have seen this gentleman's work and he's pretty good.

I am working on expediting some MM Valve Covers to have as "Exchange Cores" so I can eventually offer a Quick Swap so your car doesnt have a lot of downtime!

Anyway, I just thought I would offer this service to all you guys!

Thanks
Wes

Ross
01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Wes, ballpark, what would it cost to have valve covers powdercoated? How about coil covers?

wchain
01-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Hi Ross,
You're looking at around $50 for the Valve Covers, Coil Covers Included.
Add 10 Extra to the Total For Candy Colors.

^^^^^^
EDITED AGAIN

Marauderman
01-09-2004, 04:16 PM
It's about time--was wondering how how the bait hanging out there was gonna get caught--good bite Wes!!!

Although I'm currently reviewing my options, I'm glad to know I've got a place to turn too--and so will you once you've seen them colored---( I've seen Todd's ( TAF) -and you can too in the photo gallery-- when done the way you want --well, they ARE NICE LOOKING!

Wes--your got a keen eye on what we're after!! Keep us posted on the updates----Tom

rumble
01-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Wes, can your source do chrome?

Ross
01-09-2004, 04:38 PM
That's not a bad price.

Petrograde
01-09-2004, 05:07 PM
hehe,.. figures,.. :rolleyes: now that mine are done.

Tom

MENINBLK
02-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Wes, can your source do chrome?

Why do chrome ?
It adds weight and retains heat.

Can't we get our aluminum covers polished, and have them clearcoated ?

Petrograde
02-02-2004, 03:54 AM
Why do chrome ?

Can't we get our aluminum covers polished, and have them clearcoated ?

I'm almost 100% sure that the clearcoat won't take the heat. If someone else knows differently, please chime in.

Tom

rumble
02-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Why do chrome ?

?
Different strokes for different folks, besides the weight gain and heat gain are both negligible.

jettle
02-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Could they me polished and ceramic coated? What do you guys think that would look like???

Petrograde
02-03-2004, 04:22 AM
Could they me polished and ceramic coated? What do you guys think that would look like???

ceramic coated? hmmmm,... I have no idea. If chrome can cause heat problems then I would think that ceramic coating valve covers or an intake would would cause overheating for sure! Think about it; Why do you use ceramic coating on exhaust parts? To retain the exhaust heat, to keep that heat out of the engine bay. You don't want to keep heat in the engine, at least not that much IMO.

you might try this (http://www.eastwood.com/itemdy01.asp?PRED=I&T1=10200+Z) on your valve covers. Note: it says NOT to use on manifolds!

Here's (http://www.eastwood.com/itemdy01.asp?Dep_Key1=mfb&T1=13149&I1.x=59&I1.y=17) what I'm gonna use for polishing my intake. The only protectant I plan on using is Mother's Aluminum polish.

Tom

Petrograde
02-03-2004, 04:36 AM
oh yeah,... Hey Wes...

Would you be able to powder coat a lower intake?

A question about that: The lower intake is very porous. I was thinking about polishing it before I have it powder coated, I think it would look better. Would polishing it effect how the powder coating sticks to it? Do I need to leave the surface somewhat rough (like when you prep a surface to be painted) so it'll adhere?

Thanks!
Tom

jettle
02-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Ah! I guess I had the functional part of ceramic coating backwards. I thought it absorbed and distributed the heart better....my bad :)

ceramic coated? hmmmm,... I have no idea. If chrome can cause heat problems then I would think that ceramic coating valve covers or an intake would would cause overheating for sure! Think about it; Why do you use ceramic coating on exhaust parts? To retain the exhaust heat, to keep that heat out of the engine bay. You don't want to keep heat in the engine, at least not that much IMO.

you might try this (http://www.eastwood.com/itemdy01.asp?PRED=I&T1=10200+Z) on your valve covers. Note: it says NOT to use on manifolds!

Here's (http://www.eastwood.com/itemdy01.asp?Dep_Key1=mfb&T1=13149&I1.x=59&I1.y=17) what I'm gonna use for polishing my intake. The only protectant I plan on using is Mother's Aluminum polish.

Tom

wchain
02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Petrograde,
how large is the lower intake? I can ask him.

SGT MAC is going to be the first customer for the Powdercoating Project! Thanks for steppin up Mac!

glassman99
03-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Hi Folks!
just wanted you to know that I have a reliable source for Powdercoating now. I have seen this gentleman's work and he's pretty good.

I am working on expediting some MM Valve Covers to have as "Exchange Cores" so I can eventually offer a Quick Swap so your car doesnt have a lot of downtime!

Anyway, I just thought I would offer this service to all you guys!

Thanks
Wes

What would be the cost to do Mac & Zack's control arms (4)?

martyo
03-20-2004, 12:20 PM
What would be the cost to do Mac & Zack's control arms (4)?
Why is this relevant??? They come powder coated directory from the Zack & Mac factory.

MM03MOK
03-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Why is this relevant??? They come powder coated directory from the Zack & Mac factory.Black powdercoated or uncoated are the only options. Any other color, you're on your own.

....shipped with Gloss Black Powdercoating. For those who do not want Black, we will ship them bare. Pricing does not change and we are not offering custom colors.

CRUZTAKER
03-20-2004, 12:51 PM
I think glassman had the same desires as Petro and I .....red or blue. No big deal, Mac and Zack had to know a select few of us would want different colors.

I'm gonna stick with black for now, but as I detail other items underneath, I will likely re-paint with the Eastwood caliper product.

Petrograde
03-20-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm gonna stick with black for now, but as I detail other items underneath, I will likely re-paint with the Eastwood caliper product.

I was thinking the same thing,.... if I decide to paint them.

TAF
03-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Why is this relevant??? They come powder coated directory from the Zack & Mac factory.
Hey...don't jump on my boy Steve here, Martyo. (I'm jumping in here 'cause I know he headed over to Darlington this weekend) He is probably wanting them in Red due to the fact he has red valvecovers like mine, and red Baer brake calipers. So...LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!! (BTW...what kinda brakes YOU got *chuckle/chuckle*)

Glenn
03-20-2004, 02:14 PM
I was just looking at a new in the dealer showroom 2004 Cobra. The DOHC valve covers are polished aluminum with what sure looks like clear coat on top or perhaps a clear enamel. Several other of the S/C engine parts are powercoating gray and look very nice.

Glenn

SergntMac
03-20-2004, 02:37 PM
With as long as these 4V engines have been on the street, what 8 years now? I am surprised that no aftermarket vendor has offered a custom design. Engine dress up must not be what it used to be, eh?

martyo
03-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Hey...don't jump on my boy Steve here, Martyo.
No flames intended! I just wasn't sure if he knew that they came pre-powder coated thanks to the industrious boys over at Zack& Mac Industries.

RCSignals
03-20-2004, 10:56 PM
With as long as these 4V engines have been on the street, what 8 years now? I am surprised that no aftermarket vendor has offered a custom design. Engine dress up must not be what it used to be, eh?

Me as well. The only custom things I know of are some coil covers.
Where's the finned valve covers? Wes, oh Wes.....