PDA

View Full Version : Headers

jettle
01-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know if the Kooks headers are California legal???

Thanks,
Jeff

cyclone03
01-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Without an E.O. Number,no.

CRUZTAKER
01-14-2004, 05:10 PM
This is true....but they should pass a dyno emission test....no?

Ohio is super strict, every two years we report to an inspection station, they roll a mirror under the car to check for presence of the cats, they check the pressurized fuel cap, and they dyno the car with a wand stuck in the exhaust pipe.

Mine passes no problem, as well as my '81 spider with a borla header, cat and exhaust system.

I know you folks have always had it rough out there, but isn't just a case of passing visual and emission test?

jettle
01-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Yes, it is just a visual as far as I know. I just dont want to put that much labor into somthing and have to do it again in a couple years.

Jeff

jgc61sr2002
01-14-2004, 05:53 PM
In NYS hwere emissions tests are conducted ( down state counties) no cats = FAILED INSPECTION. The NYS Dept of Motor vehicles checks inspection stations by having a vehicle with the cats removed to see if the examiner will find it. If not the examiner may receive a fine or suspension of his license. :)

FordNut
01-14-2004, 06:40 PM
In some states/locales they inspect to see that cats are on the car. Doesn't matter what kind as long as they're there. Other places (like California) they must be OEM cats or be approved replacements. Approved replacements have a CARB EO #. Generally (but not always), the CARB EO # references a specific application, so a cat that is approved for Mustangs may not necessarily be usable on Marauders, even though the cars have the same engine.

I believe all the exhaust components have similar rules, but for sure these rules apply to headers. Probably mufflers also. I don't know about tailpipes, mid-pipes, x-pipes, h-pipes and such. If so, it would be necessary to get an approved complete system instead of piecing it together like some of us in non-emission-tested areas have done.

As for CARB approved exhaust upgrades for the MM, I don't think there are any yet. So you can gamble on a system getting approved between now and the time you have to be inspected or keep the stock system and swap back for the inspection. Lots of 'stang guys do that. There are other ways around the rules but we shouldn't discuss that in a public forum.

jettle
01-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Do you guys think that they are ever that detailed with their inspections? I have never paid attention to what they did in the past. I should have watched closer!

jgc61sr2002
01-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Do you guys think that they are ever that detailed with their inspections? I have never paid attention to what they did in the past. I should have watched closer! Yes they are. If not they can loose their license.

studio460
01-15-2004, 02:13 AM
Jettle:

Unfortunately, you and I are in the same boat (by having to live by the same restrictive California emissions constraints)! Apparently NONE of the popular mods for our cars are CARB-legal, and I'm dying to get the Kooks headers myself. I've been debating whether to risk it or not. I doubt that any of the manufacturers of the Marauder aftermarket products are willing to invest in CARB certification for the relatively small California market, so I've been considering the following . . .

1. New cars don't have to get smogged until 4 or is it 5 years?
2. Consider "alternative" strategies.

However, something that scared the pizz outta me were two cautionary tales told to me at JBA Racing in San Diego (I'm in Los Angeles).

1. Reportedly, CHP officers were seen sticking O2 sensors in the tailpipes of Mustangs at a large owner's meeting in the San Fernando Valley a year or two ago.
2. San Diego employs roadside smog inspections, which stop cars randomly.

If I did the Kooks, I would still keep the cats. Not sure if I would just keep the factory cats or use the high flow Magnaflow (or other brand) cats. Or maybe just lay 2.5" pipe all the way and reinstall legal components when the time comes. Don't know what potential fines or penalties are for these kinds of shenanigans . . .

cyclone03
01-15-2004, 06:01 AM
I THINK Dennis' ported and polished set up would be the best in CA.
Eccept for the coating they are OEM parts so they won't raise the mod flag.If your car looks real clean you could pass off the coating as done to earn points at car shows.

IF the headers Dennis' mods to fit have E.O. numbers (I THINK he starts with the FRPP headers) the mod tech MAY see the tag and not check the number,but thats a big butt $$.

nick filippides
01-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Hey Guys, I'd like to let everyone know that the Magnaflow cats we use on our systems are Carb legal. We can provide the necessary documentation to appease the California state inspectors. As far as the headers are concerned, I wouldn't be to concerned as they are hardly visible. I personally wouldn't be too concerned. The headers have all the necessary emission fittings. I can honestly tell you that we've sold many sets of Corvette and LS1 F body headers to California residents without a single complaint. Ultimately you have to make the final decision. This is strictly my opinion. I'll be here to help you guys up if you decide. Thanks Nick "Kook's Headers"