PDA

View Full Version : Private message button?

MapleLeafMerc
01-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Is there a different way to do this now?

Dr Caleb
01-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I think this is done through the "Quick Links" now. I don't see any "PM" button. But I do see a "Reputation" button!

Pooor Todd. :lol:

Logan
01-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Just click the Quick Links button the menu bar, then you'll see the "Private Messages" link on the expanded menu.

CRUZTAKER
01-13-2004, 04:47 PM
I found that clicking on the user's name at the top left of their post window brings up a better menu with pm in it.

I want to know what the reputation button is???? :nono:

TAF
01-13-2004, 05:00 PM
I found that clicking on the user's name at the top left of their post window brings up a better menu with pm in it.

I want to know what the reputation button is???? :nono:

See the "Shout Box" for instructions on the "Reputation" button, Barry :D

CRUZTAKER
01-13-2004, 05:15 PM
See the "Shout Box" for instructions on the "Reputation" button, Barry :D

I don't think I like this feature.... :banned:
And what are the 'points' all about?

TAF
01-13-2004, 05:20 PM
What instructions? I did what you said, you have a 'rep' as well.....

But Tod, I still don't get it, what's it's purpose? :confused:

And what are the 'points' all about?

Apparently (and I'm still learning and confused myself) you can go to someone's post...up in the top/right-hand side of the box containing their post is an "X" and a "check-mark" on a blue box. Click that and a new window opens up asking you "What do you think of CRUZTAKER's Post?" and you can click "I approve" or "I Disapprove"...then you can add comments.

I think we are NOW going to be "graded". Maybe there are CA$H prizes involved!!!!!

Bigdogjim
01-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Apparently (and I'm still learning and confused myself) you can go to someone's post...up in the top/right-hand side of the box containing their post is an "X" and a "check-mark" on a blue box. Click that and a new window opens up asking you "What do you think of CRUZTAKER's Post?" and you can click "I approve" or "I Disapprove"...then you can add comments.

I think we are NOW going to be "graded". Maybe there are CA$H prizes involved!!!!!

When you find out let me know :lol: :lol:

Logan
01-13-2004, 06:00 PM
TAF has got the gist of it...

The reputation system works extremely effectively. If you're an ass, people are going to know about it.

paheff
01-13-2004, 06:01 PM
I didn't know we were going to be graded! :depress:

CRUZTAKER
01-13-2004, 06:01 PM
How did George W. put it....? '...not gonna do it' :rolleyes:

Bigdogjim
01-13-2004, 06:09 PM
OK What's next? Pop quiz? Tests?? Mid terms?? I give up
How did George W. put it....? '...not gonna do it' :rolleyes:

MapleLeafMerc
01-13-2004, 06:13 PM
I hope they grade us using a bell curve. :bows:

I've already been demoted to "Registered User";)

And to top it off I have to admit I have clicked the page icon on the lower right that says "Quick reply to this message" (Is this the Quick Link button?) I cannot see this Private Messages link on any 'expanded menu'. But the smilies on the right here are dancing off into space in the reply window.

martyo
01-13-2004, 06:21 PM
TAF has got the gist of it...if he keeps acting like an ass, people are going to know about it.

:eek:

I have been telling him this for a year now!

jaywish
01-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Do we get points off for speelling errors?

Logan
01-13-2004, 06:49 PM
I hope they grade us using a bell curve. :bows:

I've already been demoted to "Registered User";)

And to top it off I have to admit I have clicked the page icon on the lower right that says "Quick reply to this message" (Is this the Quick Link button?) I cannot see this Private Messages link on any 'expanded menu'. But the smilies on the right here are dancing off into space in the reply window.
If you click "reply" it'll take you to the full editor. Of which you have a choice of three different editors. Standard, enhanced, and WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get). They're selectable via your options screen.

The Page icon enables the quick reply box at the bottom of each thread display. Though you can use smilies in the quick reply box, you need to know what the bbcode for the smiley is.

TAF
01-13-2004, 07:01 PM
I have been trying to be like him (TAF) for over a year now!:up:

Ahhhh...fun with quotes.

Bigdogjim
01-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Does this mean it (spell check) is coming back?

Do we get points off for speelling errors?

MapleLeafMerc
01-13-2004, 07:53 PM
If you click "reply" it'll take you to the full editor. Of which you have a choice of three different editors. Standard, enhanced, and WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get). They're selectable via your options screen.

I clicked "reply" to this post and I see a window that has buttons for "Guided Mode" and "Enhanced Mode". I thought I understood computers, but I cannot see the word editors anywhere nor WYSIWYG. And no options screen that I have noticed.

The Page icon enables the quick reply box at the bottom of each thread display. Though you can use smilies in the quick reply box, you need to know what the bbcode for the smiley is.

Sorry for being dead weight here, but it's getting complicated;)

Logan
01-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Click HERE (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions), scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and read. :D

Marauderman
01-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Ok - I have two(2) questions:

1. The "reputation " comments on anyone-- where are they stored on that person for anyone to read up on them?

2. What is the difference between a regular "post reply" and a "quick reply"?

MapleLeafMerc
01-17-2004, 12:15 PM
On the Edit Options page there is a section called 'Thread Display Mode'. In this section, there is a link: this help page. Clicking on that link takes you to the General Forum Usage page in the vBulletin FAQ thread. On that page is a picture of the button I miss! It used to be at the bottom of every post (shown below):

jaywish
01-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Well I think I have the honor of getting the first negative comment so what the heck. Maybe there are a few more by now but I think I'm the 1st.

Why don't a few of you give me a couple more so we can see what a badge of great dishonor looks like.

Maybe I'll be on a common road going downhill? ;)

MarauderMark
01-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Thats not fair i am an ass but i dont want people to know it :LOL:

Logan
01-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Maple leaf merc, The private messages link is available by clicking the username that made the post. A Popup will appear that allows you to send that person an email or pm.

jaywish
01-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Well Now I have 2 negative comments.

The 1st one changed it (the comments one can read when floating over the small indicator light on the right top of each post next to the # of posts) from my name "jaywish" to "An unknown Quantity"

The 2nd negative changed it to "Has a little shameless behavior in the past"

What I want to know is how did the machine know that?
Who told?

But seriously I'm curious what it would say next.

That's only from 2 negatives!

Logan did you program the comments or did it come that way? ;)

Jay

Logan
01-24-2004, 07:27 PM
At -50 Reputation points, it'll change to ... Can only hope to improve
At +50 Reputation points, it'll change to ... will become famous soon enough

There's about 10 levels in either direction. The descriptions are fully modifiable by moi...

TripleTransAm
01-24-2004, 09:32 PM
I can think of a few variations... like:

- at -10 points, it can say "prefers oil threads".

- at -20 points, it can say "shops at Cole Performance"

- at -30 points, it can say "installs 4R70W C-clips at the assembly plant as part of community service"

- at -40 points, it can say "thinks stock MMs have too much low end torque, looking for 3.08:1 diff gears instead"

- at -50 points, it can say "still looking for the distributor in order to change the points..."

- at -60 points, the account is terminated, indicating "still thinks he/she is driving a black Grand Marquis with the handling / pimp package"

TAF
01-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Well done /Steve:lol:

jaywish
01-26-2004, 07:40 AM
Steve,

If you ever get unemployed I'd try Jay Leno if I was you.

Logan, Those are pretty darn funny. I vote for those...

Jay