PDA

View Full Version : Tire advice

RF Overlord
01-17-2004, 05:31 PM
OK, my tires aren't quite worn out yet, but I want to ask everyone's opinion. When I get new ones, I'm thinking of getting all 4 the same size, specifically the "front" size, so I can rotate them, and so the spare will not cause an issue or look stoopid if I have a flat on the back. What do y'all think? Will this cause any issues with the ABS?

Petrograde
01-17-2004, 06:18 PM
I was wondering the same thing RF.

also,.. I know the spedometer will be off if you change the tire size,... hmm,.. I know you can get an EEC reflash to fix that problem. I wonder if my SCMT can handle that,.. I guess I'll have to find the book! :rolleyes:

Tom

jgc61sr2002
01-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Bob - A member of this forum put the larger rear tires on the front. There was enough clearence, although it was close. I would prefer the larger tires but it may be a problem with the traction control. When I need tires I'll probably replace them with the same sizes. :)

joflewbyu2
01-17-2004, 07:11 PM
why would anyone want to put a 4 pound heavier tire at each corner that is 1.3 iches taller than the 235/50/18. you are adding unsprung weight to the car's suspension and increasing the center of gravity up 2/3 of an inch. it's like buying a 4x4 and making it into a low rider. DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

TAF
01-17-2004, 07:25 PM
If the price on these tires were $225 a piece...I'd expect (and would actively be involved myself) in looking for alternatives for rotation. But when you can get 4 delivered in 3 days from TireRack for a flat $400....why not just redo the OEM tires every 20-25K miles? How much extra mileage do you really think you'll get from these type of high-performance tires by rotating...4-6K miles? I'd say the "length of life" would be negligible.

Just my opinion...and I personally think the "rake" of the tires is one of the significant features for the car.

SergntMac
01-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Using same size tires at all 4 corners is cool with the MMs ABS any tire size you pick. Some sizes will upset the speedometer/odometer, but pick the size and style you want, for what ever reason you want. Wear, weight, load, whatever...

Marauderman
01-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Just my opinion...and I personally think the "rake" of the tires is one of the significant features for the car.

I agree on the "rake" point too Todd --you definitinely need some of that--now that I find mine wanting to rare back alot more.... :rock: whoops..sorry..--just the same --it makes good etiquette to me!

Thomas C Potter
01-17-2004, 09:00 PM
I changed wheels and tires, all the same diameter now, TCS light will come at approx 35 mph, simply turn off switch. ABS light does not come on, and ABS works fine.

TP Blue 03

gilby04
01-17-2004, 09:33 PM
I agree with TAF..
the "rake" is as important as the wide stance...
together, they project a "statement of attitude & prowess"...

Bigdogjim
01-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Has any one posted any longer wear out of GoodYear tires? Or any other brand? My tires have 14,000 miles on them and look "new".

Murader03
01-18-2004, 06:04 AM
I put the same size (front size) on all four corners. There is a slight speedometer error, 3% accorrding to my hand held GPS. The speedo reads about 73 when actual GPS speed is 70. Otherwise, no other problems have been encountered. It's also nice to be able to rotate all four tires as they should be. One thing to keep in mind if you have your local FMC/tire dealer rotate them, is which way they were done. The first time mine were done, fornt-to-back, and then when I had them done again, I specifically told them they had been done front-to-back the last rotation, the idiots did it the same way again. Had them take the car back in and rotate them side-to-side so there would be a change in wear pattern. Next time will be corner-to-corner.
I've got 12K on this set of tires, and they still look new! :)

CRC
01-18-2004, 07:11 AM
I put the "rear" tire size on my MM on all four corners. Do not have traction control so I dont know how it would effect that, but I have no issues with the ABS. Took one of my old rears and mounted it on the spare, so there is no sizing issue there either. Better hurry to buy the KDWS I understand this tire in our size is an endangered species. Paid $330 for all mounted balanced and out the door. They are cheap right now.

joflewbyu2
01-18-2004, 07:16 AM
according to Bfgoodrich's site - there is 5% differece in tire rotations per mile. If you have the SCMT you can adjust the rear to 3.73 from stock 3.55 (5% difference) or to 4.30 from 4.10 (5% difference too).

LNYTUNS
01-18-2004, 08:07 AM
I have MM that is about the same build date as yours is there any problem with the Traction control by changing the rear tires? There is no switch on my car to turn off the Traction control, that was added at a later time, so it is on all the time.

I put the same size (front size) on all four corners. There is a slight speedometer error, 3% accorrding to my hand held GPS. The speedo reads about 73 when actual GPS speed is 70. Otherwise, no other problems have been encountered. It's also nice to be able to rotate all four tires as they should be. One thing to keep in mind if you have your local FMC/tire dealer rotate them, is which way they were done. The first time mine were done, fornt-to-back, and then when I had them done again, I specifically told them they had been done front-to-back the last rotation, the idiots did it the same way again. Had them take the car back in and rotate them side-to-side so there would be a change in wear pattern. Next time will be corner-to-corner.
I've got 12K on this set of tires, and they still look new! :)

darebren
01-18-2004, 10:30 AM
lnytuns, if there is no traction control switch, then there is no traction control. right?

MM03MOK
01-18-2004, 10:32 AM
if there is no traction control switch, then there is no traction control. right?Correct, making it an '03 300A.

jgc61sr2002
01-18-2004, 10:57 AM
What Mary said. ^^^^^

RF Overlord
01-18-2004, 11:01 AM
There is no switch on my car to turn off the Traction control, that was added at a later time, so it is on all the time.

Either you had traction control added to your car after you bought it, or you don't have traction control at all...the 300As didn't have it, the 300Bs added traction control along with the switch to defeat it, so if you don't have a switch, you don't have traction control.

bugsys03
01-18-2004, 11:29 AM
If you dont have the switch you dont have traction control