01-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Check this out...http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_sys.htm

What do you guys think?

Tom

Donny Carlson
01-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Check this out...http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_sys.htm

What do you guys think?

TomSome high end cars offer this as either standard equipment or an option.

I like the idea, but it's pricey.

The display with just LEDS is pretty useless, imo. I like the full function display.
I wonder if the transmitter bands will cause balance problems with the wheels.

Interesting, tho.

Petrograde
01-17-2004, 07:36 PM
I like the idea, but it's pricey. I wonder if it is compatable with our tires?
Not too pricey. $209 for the basic kit and $44 for the upgraded display.

It's programable, so I would think it should work. The one thing that would be a PITA is putting the sensors on the tires,.. you would have to remove the tires from the rims, and then you would have to balance them.

Other than that, I think it would be cool.

Tom

Petrograde
01-17-2004, 07:40 PM
I wonder if the transmitter bands will cause balance problems with the wheels.

I don't think the bands themselves would make any difference, since they are close to the center of mass, but,... the transmitters probably would effect the balance, even if the weight only an ounce or two.

Tom

MarauderMark
01-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Looks like a cheesy aftermarket item.you have to attach and make holes.have that box hangin .maybe if it could look a little more factory .this is just my opinion.

jgc61sr2002
01-17-2004, 08:28 PM
The Tires must be removed from the wheels, sensors installed, tires remounted and balanced. They have batteries that go dead. I think there are more trouble than they are worth.

Donny Carlson
01-17-2004, 08:54 PM
The Tires must be removed from the wheels, sensors installed, tires remounted and balanced. They have batteries that go dead. I think there are more trouble than they are worth.
Well, for what it's worth, the manufacturer says the battery life on the transmitters is 5 years.

What is worse -- on the basic system -- is that the transmitters are color coded, ie red is LF, yellow is RF, Blue is RR, Green is LR. These transmit to the same color on the display. You'd have to swap around the little plastic tabs on the display to match wherever the tire was rotated. Not so much a problem for us, though.

That's why if you got one of these, you should shell out for the LCD display, which shows a reading for each tire (even the spare). Reading the owner's manual, it appears you have to manually cycle through the tires to get a reading on each.

What would be cool is to have these transmitters and the receiver hooked up to that special LED display that was shown here on a post not long ago. Remember the display that replaced the stand-alone clock? Have one of the displays of that LED be tire pressure that would sound the vehicle's alert tone when pressure dropped below a certain range. The display could say "Low tire pressure detected.... 26 PSI in left front tire....."

Petrograde
01-17-2004, 09:00 PM
What would be cool is to have these transmitters and the receiver hooked up to that special LED display that was shown here on a post not long ago. Remember the display that replaced the stand-alone clock? Have one of the displays of that LED be tire pressure that would sound the vehicle's alert tone when pressure dropped below a certain range. The display could say "Low tire pressure detected.... 26 PSI in left front tire....."
I agree Donny. The LED read out would be sweet.

Also, I'm sure I'd replace the tires before 5 years.

Well,.. I'll give it a try. The next time I get tires that is! :D

Tom

GordonB
01-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Petrograde and others,
The tire pressure sensors are a great idea. My 2000 Corvette has them and also has a digital Driver Info Display that allows me to see each tires actual pressure, one tire at a time. It is Standard Equip on all C5 Vettes.
Unfortunately, if we wanted as good a setup on our MMs, we would need to get some sort of computer interface to `read' the signal from each tire and then display the actual pressure in pounds. The SmartTire setup that is being sold appears to be a decent attempt to provide a simple system of info to us: OK; Caution -- `I need some air'; and Warning -- `I need lots of air'. This may be oversimplifying things, but that is what I get from reading the web page.
I typically carry a tire guage with me on all trips greater than 30 or 40 miles. I guess for my money I would not recommend this aftermarket setup for $200 or thereabouts. However, some people might get real peace of mind by at least having a tire pressure warning system in their MM.
Net, net, if you like this setup, by all means buy it and use it. It would appear that the worm gear clamp (`meaty' end) should be mounted 180 degrees out of phase from the pressure sensor. This is my best educated guess from trying to balance tires.

GordonB.

Petrograde
01-17-2004, 09:32 PM
It would appear that the worm gear clamp (`meaty' end) should be mounted 180 degrees out of phase from the pressure sensor. This is my best educated guess from trying to balance tires.

GordonB.
You read my mind Gordon! :) For around $250 I think it's worth it,.. anyway, if it's not I'm willing to be the guinea pig.

I like the peice of mind,.. but what I really interested in is get off the road before I start eating up my rims! and of course there is a certain 'bling' factor in just having one..:pimp: lol

Tom

John F. Russo
01-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Similar Device (Not to Buy)
"Tireminders". They screw on a tire's valve stem and indicate the degree (yellow, red, and green) of deflation.

I had them on my car for a few months. They did not reliably indicate the degree of deflation. For example, a tire was deflated by x pounds and the color yellow should have been showing and it didn't. This inconsistency happened to often with more than one gauge. I threw them all out.

______________________________ ___________________
2003 Dark Blue Pearl 300B (Canadian) (reversed traction control,
mini spare, trunked 6 disc CD changer,clock-in-the-radio,
heated front seats, hood light)
-Born 12/10/02; converted new then used 2/28/03
-16,000 miles
-18.5 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph
-Stock transmission (upgraded with Performance Automatic
clutches and band after stock tranny failed in 8,800 miles)
-Wheel locks (Ford)
-Badgeless front grille by “Zack”
-Zaino waxing; RainX
Kenny Brown: 6th “Signature Series” conversion (450 hp) Born
3/28/03
-Dead pedal
-Baer front brakes 14 in. two piston, vented rotors
-MMX Driveshaft
-377 RWTQ
-4.10 gears
-Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3 Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3
-Vortech supercharger (5 and 9 psig boost)
-Ford Racing Stud and Girdle
-Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18 99Y;rear
255/50ZR18 102Y)
-FordChip
-One coil of each front stock spring removed to produce
the “same” effect as an Eibach spring
-Ground clearance: 5 in.
______________________________ ___________________________
1961 Ford Galaxie, 2 dr. Club Victoria, 390CID, 375hp, 4 barrel (gone)

Logan
01-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Click the tirerack.com ad on the front of this site and check out tirerack's solution, which includes the banded sensors that attach to the rims, as well as a full digital monitor...