PDA

View Full Version : Mods prices - ballparking for budget purposes.

Donny Carlson
01-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Dennis, I'm posting this as a thread instead of emailing or PM you because I think other members may be interested in this information. Perhaps your site will show pricing once its updated -- if so, I will gladly go over there for my information.

Anywho, here goes.

I want to get the mods you offer for my MM, but I need to get some information first for budgeting and planning purposes. What I need to know is the approximate cost (and I know this is not a firm quote, just an estimate) and the approximate turn around time (how many days to do it). This will allow me to arrange payment or adjust my budget to save for the mods, and allow me to plan my trip down and know how many days I'll need to set aside.

First, my car is my only source of transportation, other than public transportation. My car is a daily driver, necessary to get me to and from work. So, whatever is done to it must not make the car less reliable and not negatively impact driveability. Also, keep in mind I have no place at home to work on my car, have only rudamentary tools, and virtually no mechanical skills so anything I do has to be done someone else at their location.

I was thinking the first step is to install a chip, replace the plugs, new thermostat and put 4:10 gears in the rear end. I'd also like to replace the oil pressure gauge at this time. Is there anything else recommended for this first stage? The cost of this is about what, and how long do you need the car?

The second stage is supercharging, bullet proofing the transmission, upgrading brakes, etc. Do you also recommend headers at this stage? Should the tires/wheels be changed or modified? Are there additional mods needed to the read end? What would this package estimate to be, and how long would you need the car?

If pricing is something you'd rather discuss in private, please email or PM me.

Bowman9
01-18-2004, 08:15 PM
I too am also looking at doing these mods to my daily driver, but need to know pricing. I am lucky enough to have a brother-in-law who is a mechanic so he won't rip me off for the labor.

I did some searches on the internet from various sources to get some estimated cost on parts, remember that these are only ballpark figures and should be treated as such.

Superchips Microtuner - 365.00
Thremostat - 15.00
Spark plugs - 15.00 each X 8 = 125.00
Underdrive Pulleys - 170.00
4.10 rear gears - 190.00

So that makes an estimated 865.00 in parts alone.

I am curious as to what that 865.00 would buy me in Horsepower and Torque?
Anybody know?

Petrograde
01-18-2004, 09:51 PM
I too am also looking at doing these mods to my daily driver, but need to know pricing. I am lucky enough to have a brother-in-law who is a mechanic so he won't rip me off for the labor.

I did some searches on the internet from various sources to get some estimated cost on parts, remember that these are only ballpark figures and should be treated as such.

Superchips Microtuner - 365.00
Thremostat - 15.00
Spark plugs - 15.00 each X 8 = 125.00
Underdrive Pulleys - 170.00
4.10 rear gears - 190.00

So that makes an estimated 865.00 in parts alone.

I am curious as to what that 865.00 would buy me in Horsepower and Torque?
Anybody know?

Well,.. I don't have U/D pullies yet,..and no plans for 4:10 gears. Also,.. I haven't dyno'ed it yet. So I don't have solid numbers.

But,..... I can tell you this, Wow! you will see a difference! Especially in the shifting! Much better!

Tom

Dennis Reinhart
01-19-2004, 06:43 PM
I dont post prices just give me a call and my prices are less than what posted above, I am open 8 to 5 never to busy to talk call me any time.

Donny Carlson
01-19-2004, 06:51 PM
I dont post prices just give me a call and my prices are less than what posted above, I am open 8 to 5 never to busy to talk call me any time.
Okay, fair enough. My schedule is such that it would be Friday before I can call during those hours. Thanks for the reply.