PDA

View Full Version : Tetsu's Winter Tire solution

tetsu
12-02-2002, 06:29 PM
Hey guys,

Emboldened by the success of some of you other guys in specifying
some Snow Tires for your sleds, I have undertaken to try to whip up
a recipe for reasonably priced, decent snow/ice oriented tires
that are about the same size as our current wide tires.

Of all the models at Tire Rack for 16 inch wheels the only one that
ended up fitting the bill was the Michelin Artic Alpin. I bought two
215/65-16s (front) and two 225/70-16s for the rear. I was looking for
tires very close the the same height as ours. The fronts are skinnier
than the rears (as are our BFGs.) Rolling ratio back to front is 1.05
on both the stock and my Winter tire sets.

I selected the 16 inch Tirerack steelies for $49 each. (They no longer
offer the wheel covers. No doubt due to mtnh's discovery.) I'm hoping
some steel centercaps will fit on there.

All told, my set is under $600 delivered. I'm told by a buddy who used
to work in tires that Artic-Alpins are very good snow tires.

I'll update after I get them and slap them on. :)

Oh yeah. Like the others have said, in case you didn't know, SECOND
GEAR is very helpful in the slippery stuff.

Johnny

JerseyVics
12-02-2002, 08:04 PM
Here is the solution for JerseyVics'z winter tire problem:

The OLD Good Year Eagle RS-A's were worn on the 1999 PI POS, so I went with what everyone on CVN was recommending and got myself a set of Dunlop SP Sport 5000's 225 60 ZR16.

Excellent tire so far and based on description its not too shabby in the snow, although its not too spectacular in promisses either.

To go about getting those tires I took the advice of the fellow CVN'er and printed out the complete checkout price for those tires from Tire Rack which came out to be $95.50 apiece with shipping and from Discount Tire which were $97 including free shipping. I went to a local Sears Auto store (3 in the immediate area of my house so it was easy to choose a store, I went to the one that actualy had 4 tires in stock) and put them on.

Sears refused my price match from Tire Rack or Discout Tire but luckily they had a sale on these normaly $124.99 a pop tires... so I paid the full $118.74 times four, plus $10 bux for valve rubber stems, $43.99 for installation and balancing as well as $59.99 for wheel alignment.

Because my car is such a worn out POS, they couldn't do alignment, I need new ball joints so they gave me a gift card for $63 bux for the alignment. It was also a customer appreciation sale and the lady gave me 10% off the tires when I called in to reserve them on Friday... so -$48 bux there.... the guy gave me another 10% off when I came in to install these on Saturday for customer appreciation, -$44 bux there...

I go to Sears for one of few things, one of them of fear from being screwed at other unprofessional places... but I still managed to get screwed at Sears for a day or two. They put one of my tires the wrong way, inside facing out and outside facing in... So I went back in today on Monday and they flipped it over free of charge, plus gave me another -$20 bux gift card for customer satisfaction....

So all in all my great Dunlop SP Sports cost me less than what I would have paid online, the whole deal with Sears cost $450 bux or so!

I'm happy....

--Russ ;)

Bigdogjim
12-02-2002, 11:38 PM
Russ: Hard to belive that in this day and age companys are treating customers like that! In the end you did OK! I know my wife was keeping hers fingers cross that I would sell the '87 F-150 after I got the MM. Fat chance! That what a 4X4 is all about!
Long as your happy what more can you ask for?
Big Dog Jim

SergntMac
12-03-2002, 05:21 AM
Just a thought for the MM owners.

Yesterday, Chicago got it's first "sticking" snow. Came down slowly all day long, first inch melted on impact, second inch turned into slush, and the last two inches stuck as good packing powder. Just perfect conditions to see what I may expect if I had to run my MM in snow, so, I conducted a very scientific examination.

First, I just drove around the block a few times, and concluded that if I had to drive the MM anywhere in these conditions, I should allow myself additional travel time, because, this car will not get out of it's own way. Next test, speed bumps.

I have a paved alley behind my home, with two speed bumps to keep the gear headed kiddies from down the street, on the street. The bump is about 2" high at it's peak, and about 24" wide, not a severe rise. I pulled up to the edge of the bump and "staged" the MM against the gentle rise. I did the best I could to feather the accellerator and push myself over the bump. Nada, zip, zilch, she wouldn't budge an inch. Applying more power just made it worse and the MM drifted first left, then right. Backing up five feet and taking a rolling start at it, no problems, but I proved my point.

I don't know if this help anyone or not, but those of us who HAVE to drive our MMs in the snow, are going to have problems. Maybe this is why LM seems to be cooling down on the advertising push of a great car? Not the time of year (in some places) to try to sell a sports car of this nature. Better off selling the safety and driveability features of the AWD lines.

Like I said, just a thought...

Wags
12-03-2002, 05:31 AM
tetsu,

Which wheels exactly did you get from TireRack? Who did you talk to? I'm still having problems with them. I really have to get a set quick, the snow has begun to fly..... Also, I see that some are getting 225/55 fronts and 235/60 rears, and others getting 225/60 fronts and 225/70 rears. Which is closer to the stock height of the tires? Which would be a better match?

Thanks,

Wags

tetsu
12-03-2002, 07:01 AM
I got the steel wheels for the 03 Crown Victoria.

The Artic Alpins that I specified came out the closest to our stock
tire heights (by my calculations) and maintain a perfect 1.05 rolling
ratio for ABS.

Also, they are skinnier than 225/235s which is better in the snow for
car tires.

I did not want to pay an extra $30/tire for "performance" that'll always
mean lesser snow/ice traction.

The roads up in Wisconsin are already terrible. I need to get bags of
sand for my trunk in addition to the tires.

Johnny

mtnh
12-03-2002, 09:02 AM
Those Johhny Tetsu winter Marauder package tires are a pretty close fit for replacing the stock tire diameters, fer sure. I went with the Pilot Alpins due to great reviews on Tire Rack's website, despite the knowledge that the tires were significantly smaller than stock. I just couldn't find anything H-rated with the stock diameters. For comparison, my rear snow tires, 235/60-16s, are about the same size overall as the stock front tires. The front snow tires are pretty much the same aspect ratio in height difference with respect to the rears as the stock setup, just that the snow rears are where the all season fronts are in size. Yes, they look a little lost there, compared to stock, but not offensively so. I ran them up to around 90 mph indicated and did not detect even the slightest shake or other vibration, so I am very satisfied with the choice that I made.

Mike

Wags
12-03-2002, 01:17 PM
I just ordered the "tetsu/mtnh Winter Tire/Wheel Package" from TireRack. The guy there thought I was nuts when I requested it by that name. They should be here within the week. I'll check with the dealer about center caps. They should be able to get them, I would think.

Wags

TAF
12-03-2002, 02:33 PM
Let's get Tire Rack to be a sponsor here!!! They've got LOTS of potential customers for the snow tire setup for you boys up north and replacements for those of us in the south who are still tearing up the streets with our Reinhart package!!!

JerseyVics
12-04-2002, 07:38 AM
Logan,

Call Tire Rack and speak to Suzi, she'll set you up with an affiliate account that will let you earn some cash from sales through your web site!

Thats the best sponsor I had on my site so far!

--Russ

http://www.tirerack.com/affiliates/images/BeFree/tirerack_tires_468x60.gif (http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=37919709&siteid=38894375&bfpage=tires)

tetsu
12-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Hey I mounted my Tetsu package winter tires today. They look pretty
spiff and make the car look like an extra mean cop car. All I need now
are some Type 170 Center caps and shouldered lugnuts!

Johnny

tetsu
12-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Oh yeah. It was scary to see how much I've worn my BFGs!

Johnny

KSMM03
12-09-2002, 09:01 AM
Okay, maybe its me and my lack of caffiene this morninng. Being out here in the "amber waves of grain" region of the country, not sure how bad the snow will get, but do want to be prepared. But I'm noticing that some are ordering wider tires for the fronts, -60's and 70's for the rear. Did I read that right??

If one orders the wheel and tire combination, are the tires mounted or is a trip to my local tire or sears shop a smart move?

Thanks in advance!

Wags
12-09-2002, 09:11 AM
I also put mine on last Friday. They fit great, no problems at all. People really get out of the way now, because it really does look just like a cop car. My dealer is supposed to get me center caps, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that. I was also noticing how much my rear tires were worn. Oh well, that's what they are there for :D

Wags

mtnh
12-09-2002, 11:19 AM
The Tire Rack sells wheels and tires mounted and balanced for you when you order the whole package. The service is complimetary.
Those with worn rear tires; the snow tires will wear faster than your stock rear tires, just food for thought. :^)

Mike

KSMM03
12-09-2002, 11:40 AM
That means they'd all have to be shipped to one location, i.e. South Bend and mounted there, right? Unless they already have some made up? When I went through, the wheels were in South Bend, the 225/70's in Reno, and the 215/65's in Shreveport...geesh..<G>

tetsu
12-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Mine were all in IN at the same time. I'm glad I got mine already. :)

I don't think they're going to move them from the distribution hubs.

You'll probably have to wait til more Artic Alpins come in at your preferred distribution point.

Johnny

tetsu
12-09-2002, 12:46 PM
Mine were all in IN at the same time. I'm glad I got mine already. :)

I don't think they're going to move them from the distribution hubs.

You'll probably have to wait til more Artic Alpins come in at your preferred distribution point.

Johnny

metroplex
01-16-2003, 03:19 PM
I bought the steel 16x7s, they're OEM Ford steel rims!

They just either sand out the FORD oval or scratch it out.

But the center caps fit and the std wheel covers will fit.

Kumho IZEN Stud KW-2's are less expensive and perform better according to Consumer Reports. I have Michelin Arctic Alpin's on my T-bird and they're fantastic in the snow albeit a tad expensive.

I plan to get the IZENs for the my 00 Crown Vic soon.

tetsu
01-16-2003, 05:32 PM
My Artic Alpins exceeded all expectations.

Kumho is one brand I wont buy....just like Firestone/Bridgestone.

Johnny

metroplex
01-16-2003, 05:40 PM
The Arctic Alpins are squirmy in straight lines, and like all snow tires - too soft for high speed cornering. But my T-bird was flying thru 4-6" of snow w/o any problems (arctic alpins). I just wish it had a posi.

I see Crown Vic Police Interceptors flying around in 1-4" of snow w/ their crappy RS-As - which is amazing.

I've never heard of any problems with Bridgestones or Kumho, in fact the Potenzas are highly regarded on CrownVic.net

I use Dunlop SP Sport 5000s on the Vic - it handled 3" of ice/sleet/snow fairly well considering it had an open differential at the time.

RCSignals
01-16-2003, 11:25 PM
"I bought the steel 16x7s, they're OEM Ford steel rims!

They just either sand out the FORD oval or scratch it out"

That's kind of odd. Usually the removal of the Ford mark means they are factory rejects or seconds. Otherwise there is no reason for a seller to remove it.

Murader03
01-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Finally got the "Tire Rack" package installed Wednesday. Spent time driving to work that night and a trip to DC and back Thursday. I was inpressed with the tires. They sent the Artic Alpines for the rear and 4x4 Alpines for the front. Was pleased with the handling of the car, which seems much quicker and lighter do to the size difference. It has started snowing here (Thursday evening), and will continue into the morning hours today. Will be driving home in snow predicted to be between 3 - 6 inches. We'll see. I'll then be taking a trip from Delaware into Central Ohio over this weekend. Should be more snow on that route, so the tires will get a work out.

metroplex
01-17-2003, 05:39 AM
The 16x7 steel rims I got from Tirerack balanced perfectly each time I got the tires mounted. I ran into a curb with one of them, it just slightly dented. I got it fixed, rebalanced and its still running great.

I hear the folks that buy the 16x7s now get the actual Ford oval on them. Hey for 49 bux, they're a great deal!

metroplex
01-17-2003, 06:34 AM
BTW, the alpin's are directional.

They have tiny arrows on the edges of the tread, and the special tread design, PLUS the big arrow on the sidewall.

They're very good, but I can't drive w/ snow tires. I'd wear out the tread too quickly!

tetsu
01-17-2003, 06:59 PM
I dont want to drive hard on my snow tires and wear them out prematurely. I can't wait to put my BFGs back on so I can practice my launches. :)

I don't use Firestone/Bridgestones or Kumhos because I dont trust either company further than I can toss them.

Johnny

GarageMahal
02-03-2003, 09:21 AM
Bad news and worse news...

Bad news - snowed 8+ inches last night....

Worse news - TireRack is out of 216/65-16 snow tires.

I knew I should have ordered sooner but the mild winter (up until this weeked) here allowed me to convince myself that I could get away without them this year. Big mistake.

Time to start looking elsewhere.

Good thing I can work at home on days like this,
jta

GarageMahal
02-03-2003, 09:54 AM
I think I have found the tires I need in town but want to make sure the rims they have are correct.

The rims are steel 16" 5x4.5 bolt pattern with a positive 42 offset. This means very little to me but I hope someone can tell me if they are the correct size.

Thanks
jta

mtnh
02-03-2003, 03:05 PM
The number that I recall is either 52 or 50 or 54 mm offset, and 42 is not right at all. It's at least 50 mm. Put it this way: the right ones will have almost a straight line of steel across the outside face of the tire and the lug holes are close only an inch under that line.

GarageMahal
02-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Thanks much :)

I have confirmed with TireRack the offset of the rims they have is 52mm. I have ordered the rims from them. Wish they still had some of tires in stock but at least I found them at my local Discount Tire location.

Anyone know what the offset is on the stock wheels? Just curious now since I have learned way more than I wanted to about wheels today.

Thanks again,
jta

Edit: Found out the stock offset searching past posts... Should have tried that first hehe

TAF
02-08-2003, 11:47 AM
shhhhhh...no need to shout....<<whispering>>>

there are several guys here that can help you...and if you'll just do a search on the main page for "winter tires" you'll find lots of info...

o.k.....

NOW TURN YOUR DAMN CAPS LOCK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAF
02-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Cruztaker,

Check your PM...

Jack McKenzie
03-07-2003, 09:57 AM
I have a set of steel rims & snow tires off my 97 F150.... Can I make them work? Also if these won't work how much & where do I order from the Tire Rack?

Murader03
03-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Jack McKenzie
I have a set of steel rims & snow tires off my 97 F150.... Can I make them work? Also if these won't work how much & where do I order from the Tire Rack?

Jack....Check you PM.

tetsu
03-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Just get the 16 steel wheels for the Ford Crown Vic 2002 model year.

Johnny

BillyGman
08-27-2003, 08:03 PM
for those who are fairly new to this board(kinda like me) or who don't already know, the stuff in this thread is obviously mostly last year's news, which doesn't neccessarily mean that it's wrong, but you should go to the "Anouncements/News" forum of this board and checkout the great deal that MMM2003 has goten together for us who will be driving our MM's in the snow THIS year. It's a great tire and wheel package that I don't think that any place will beat($500 for premium snow tires AND wheels which also includes mounting, balancing, and shipping). We need atleast 15 people to get that special price so please check it out.

MMM2003
08-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Blast from the past?!! Keep up the nice lobbying work Billy!
Thanks buddy!

BTW, I should make a point again, of giving credit, where credit is due, Tetsu is the originator of the 16" Michelin Winter tire package. Yeah, us cheeseheads. We are the originator of a lot off things! Imagine where you would be, without Bratwurst, Beer and the Packers!! Say, when was the last time the Vikings won the Superbowl????

Sorry, don't mean to get off "topic" too much. Just had to bring some humor back into MM.net!

BillyGman
09-03-2003, 10:02 AM
I know this is an old thread already, but I just want to be sure everyone concerned is updated on the following:

WE'RE UP TO 13 PEOPLE WHO'VE PLACED THEIR ORDER. JUST 2 MORE TO GO........read about it in the first and last posts of the "winter Tire" thread in the "Anouncements/News" forum;)