PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column Vibration w/Kooks

DONP1217
01-22-2004, 03:37 PM
I have a vibration that sounds like it is coming for my steering column since I had the Kook's headers installed. The vibration only happens between 2500 and 3000 rpm while the car is in motion. If the car is in neutal or park and I rev it up there is no vibration.

My dealer claims it is an exhaust leak but I see no evidence of one. If it was an exhaust leak I would think that I would have the vibration all of the time and it would get worse as the RPMs climbed. It would not exist solely between 2500 and 300 RPM.

It doesn't look like the headers are rubbing up against anything. However they do come fairly close to the steering rod.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? My car is a 2004 if it makes a differences. Thanks for your help.

FordNut
01-22-2004, 06:03 PM
There was a posting of installation instructions that mentioned that the bolt in the steering linkage needed to be modified for clearance. I'll try to find it and post a link.

FordNut
01-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Maybe this thread has some answers:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7043&highlight=headers

DONP1217
01-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks for posting the link. I am going to get a second opinion on the exhaust leak. I highly doubt it is an exhaust leak but I am going to make sure. My driver's side header is probably just too close to the steering rod and it causes vibration in my steering column. Something could also be loose in the steering column.

FordNut
01-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Just thinking, what kind of gaskets did you use? TAF had leaks with his DR headers with aftermarket gaskets but when the OEM ones were re-installed his leaks went away.

TAF
01-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Just thinking, what kind of gaskets did you use? TAF had leaks with his DR headers with aftermarket gaskets but when the OEM ones were re-installed his leaks went away.
Lesson learned....Don't E-V-E-R, EVER buy "special, heavy duty, you gotta have 'em, man these are the best, blah, blah, blah" gaskets.........from Marty:mad2: :fire: :bounce: :nono: :down: :argue: :mad:

DONP1217
01-23-2004, 10:04 PM
I had someone install the headers for me because I don't have a place to do that kind of work. Unless the Kook's kit came with gaskets the stock gaskets were used.

I would think that if it were an exhaust leak I'd hear the noise all of the time. The noise is not always there.

martyo
01-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Lesson learned....Don't E-V-E-R, EVER buy "special, heavy duty, you gotta have 'em, man these are the best, blah, blah, blah" gaskets.........from Marty:mad2: :fire: :bounce: :nono: :down: :argue: :mad:
Cry baby......

FordNut
01-24-2004, 05:37 AM
I had someone install the headers for me because I don't have a place to do that kind of work. Unless the Kook's kit came with gaskets the stock gaskets were used.

I would think that if it were an exhaust leak I'd hear the noise all of the time. The noise is not always there.

Mine came with gaskets but we're not using them. It's in the shop right now and they are going to re-use the OEM ones. This is because of TAF's problems.

Not sure about all the time noise. Maybe it would be worse under load. I had a manifold leak in my truck and it sounded ok unless it was under load.

johnjamis
01-24-2004, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=DONP1217]I have a vibration that sounds like it is coming for my steering column since I had the Kook's headers installed. The vibration only happens between 2500 and 3000 rpm while the car is in motion. If the car is in neutal or park and I rev it up there is no vibration.

Remember the engine moves silghtly in normal operation so if the pipe is close it could be the problem. Kooks headers hit my steering shaft at the slipjoint/universal. I had to relieve the pipe slightly with an air hammer. Now all is ok. Good luck, John

cyclone03
01-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Look at the back header tube on the driver side right where the steering shaft passes it.If you have scrapes/scratches then the normal movement of the engine and shaft and body are causing your problem.

I cut 4 threads off the cross shaft bolt,then had to grind the bolthead down to about 3/16 in thick and grind part of the shaft itself to get mine to only rub when turning left while slowing(such as turning into a driveway).

The scratchs tell the story,first.
To figure out where the shaft was hitting I painted the shaft just under the top u-joint drove around a few days then pulled the shaft and started grinding,more paint,more driving etc...

Before the bolt was cut the steering would LOCK!I only had about 1/2 turn each way.

FordNut
01-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Mine are installed, but the cats are not installed yet so it's still in the shop. Anyway, Scott, the super master killer greatest MM mechanic of all time (how's that for a plug) called me about an interference problem with the steering linkage. The offset link up next to the rack would actually contact the header tube, but only if the steering wheel was turned to a certain position. The cure was to loosen the motor mount bolts in the crossmember (the holes are slotted) and shift the engine over to the pasenger side as far as the bolt holes would allow. Looks good now. Full write-up of new observations and usefulness of other folks' install tips will come after the job is finished, probably Tuesday or so.

TAF
01-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Mine are installed, but the cats are not installed yet so it's still in the shop. Anyway, Scott, the super master killer greatest MM mechanic of all time (how's that for a plug)
You got THAT right, Brian!!! BTW...we are awaiting your Dyno #s to "de-throne" me in the N/A category. (Jeff says you're a "sure-bet"!!!)

greyghost
01-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Mine are installed, but the cats are not installed yet so it's still in the shop. Anyway, Scott, the super master killer greatest MM mechanic of all time (how's that for a plug) called me about an interference problem with the steering linkage. The offset link up next to the rack would actually contact the header tube, but only if the steering wheel was turned to a certain position. The cure was to loosen the motor mount bolts in the crossmember (the holes are slotted) and shift the engine over to the pasenger side as far as the bolt holes would allow. Looks good now. Full write-up of new observations and usefulness of other folks' install tips will come after the job is finished, probably Tuesday or so.
Let me know Brian because as soon as I get the car back from DR I am going to install my Kook's sys. I couldn't get it ceramic coated in time to take it to DR so I will do it myself.

Barry

FordNut
01-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Let me know Brian because as soon as I get the car back from DR I am going to install my Kook's sys. I couldn't get it ceramic coated in time to take it to DR so I will do it myself.

Barry

Barry, so far Scott tells me two guys, car on the rack, plenty of tools, 5 hours. Since my system is "custom" instead of bolt-in it has to go to Buster's now for mandrel-bent 2.5" stainless pipe to install the cats.

edit: Since this is his first time with the Kook's it will probably take him less time for future installs.

Dave Compson
01-25-2004, 09:46 AM
So ... did the problem get fixed last night? How was the ride home?

TAF
01-25-2004, 10:18 AM
So ... did the problem get fixed last night? How was the ride home?
Dave,

I'll answer since FordNut is offline...his car is here in Atlanta. The headers are being put on by the boys over at Team Ford. He hasn't driven it yet, and it needs to go to the "Exhaust Guru" Buster for some mandrel pipe install.

FordNut
01-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks Todd. I stopped and looked at it on the way thru town and it looks like the clearance issue is resolved. Monday it goes to Buster's, then back for post-install dyno tests. I'll pick it up Monday or Tuesday. Can hardly wait. This weekend has been miserable without it. I miss it.

TAF
01-25-2004, 10:49 AM
This weekend has been miserable without it. I miss it.
With all this nasty rain...she's better off parked.

greyghost
01-25-2004, 10:52 AM
You got the rain right. I drove to church this morning and felt I would have been better off in a boat. Its suppose to rain until tomorrow and heavy at times. I really wish it was snow! Flame suit on!

Barr

FordNut
01-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Well, it is clean for a change. That was the most notable thing about it at the breakfast meeting last weekend. I usually am more interested in driving it than cleaning it up, and I'm not afraid of the rain so it's usually pretty nasty! I would like to get back over to Team Ford after the cats are installed to put it up on the rack and take some pics of the exhaust system. It looks pretty sweet.

TAF
01-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Brian,

Let me know when you're picking it up...if it's tomorrow...I might come up to see her. I'd like to see the Kooks on the rack :up:

greyghost
01-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Brian,

Let me know when you're picking it up...if it's tomorrow...I might come up to see her. I'd like to see the Kooks on the rack :up:
Me to, Me to.

Barr

FordNut
01-25-2004, 11:11 AM
okie dokie Todd.

One other item that I noticed while under the car. The exhaust system has no cats connected to the front flanges (where the cat flanges normally connect to the H-pipe) and the system does not hang down a bit. No need to wire it up with coat hangers or anything for the drive over to Buster's (I wish I could be in it for that open-header run but Scott is taking it over). When I had the x-pipe and Edelbrock mufflers installed I followed Joe's (JOFLEWBYU2) advice and installed the '02 muffler hangers. They really are much better than the '03 hangers. Nothing in the system moves around, even with the front disconnected. Thanks, Joe.

TAF
01-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Me to, Me to.

Barr
Sound like a "mini-meet" to me...:up:

Marauderman
01-25-2004, 02:14 PM
You got THAT right, Brian!!! BTW...we are awaiting your Dyno #s to "de-throne" me in the N/A category. (Jeff says you're a "sure-bet"!!!)

Both of you are right!! I even drive 4 hours to see the man!!!!!!!!!

DONP1217
01-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks to Vegasmaurader and his nephew my vibration problems are gone.

The steering column was too close to the driver's side header. Out of seven Marauders are our meet yesterday only mine had the steering column perfectly centered. Mine is the only 2004. All of the 2003 Marauders present had the steering column bolted as far left as possible. Vegasmarauder and his nephew pulled the trim pieces under my steering wheel, loosened four bolts and moved my steering column to the left. The problem is gone. The Kook's headers must have been designed on a 2003 with the steering column mounted all the way to the left.

I actually had two problems. The second problem was a loose EGR tube. It was making a small noise when I first stepped on the gas. The guy who put my kit in cross threaded the bolt for the EGR valve. Vegasmarauder was able to unscrew the EGR valve and remount it.

Thanks for your help!

FordNut
01-25-2004, 04:39 PM
DonP:
Great news. Another tip for future Kook's installers. Maybe it would be nice to put together a complete list of "how to" and "watch out for" tips. I already have a start on it so maybe I'll just update it and post it somewhere. I started with Logan's, added Billy's, then Cyclone's, now we've got a couple of "gotcha's" from you and me. It's kind of long so maybe it wouldn't be ideal to post in a thread.