PDA

View Full Version : Control Arms, Watts Links?

bolsen
01-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Do you guys no longer carry them?

DOOM
01-05-2012, 03:03 PM
What GUYS are you referring to???

Tommy at sparta performance sells them. :up:

eric jones
01-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know the phone number for Sparta Performance?

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
https://ssl111.webhosting.optonline.ne t/spartaperformance.com/merchantmanager/contact_us.php

bolsen
01-05-2012, 04:14 PM
What GUYS are you referring to???

Tommy at sparta performance sells them. :up:

Not according to their website.

Mebot
01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes I was wondering the same thing. The website does not show control arms for sale anymore by themselves, just in the ultimate chassis handling package

Mebot
01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
But I will give tommy a call when im ready to order

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Not according to their website.

Yes I was wondering the same thing. The website does not show control arms for sale anymore by themselves, just in the ultimate chassis handling package

But if you look under this link,

https://ssl111.webhosting.optonline.ne t/spartaperformance.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=32_61&products_id=329

it has the following notation:

Save $114.99 off regular individual prices

That's telling me that you can still order the components that make up the package.

Blackened300a
01-05-2012, 06:14 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/63d2b7d9.jpg

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2012, 06:20 PM

:rofl:

You tell him, Paul! :D

05crownsport
01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
I had won the Watts link at MV9 and Tom told me that he was having trouble getting the control arms and watts link from CHE. I'm not sure if that meant he would no longer be able to get them or that it might be a while before they produce some more. Tommy did graciously offer me another prize to replace the unavailable watts link. He may be investigating some more before he answers this post so as to give everyone an accurate answer. That's all I have to say about that.

bolsen
01-05-2012, 06:28 PM
I may have to just buy from metco...which I DON'T want to do :(

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2012, 06:32 PM
I may have to just buy from metco...which I DON'T want to do :(

Why is that? :confused:

fastblackmerc
01-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Why is that? :confused:

Metco is the original mfg of the replacement Marauder Watts link and rear control arms. Have them on my MM for over 70k miles.

SpartaPerformance
01-05-2012, 07:38 PM

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/buysuperlow/wonderinggreek.jpg

I had won the Watts link at MV9 and Tom told me that he was having trouble getting the control arms and watts link from CHE. I'm not sure if that meant he would no longer be able to get them or that it might be a while before they produce some more. Tommy did graciously offer me another prize to replace the unavailable watts link. He may be investigating some more before he answers this post so as to give everyone an accurate answer. That's all I have to say about that.

Correct. At this time due to low demand for those parts and CHE being really busy with their chassis fabrication for the race classes they sponsor the control arms and Watts links are unavailable. I did email CHE when Paul informed me of this thread tonight and waiting to hear from him.....

I'll keep you guys posted. If possible give me till the end of the month before you purchase the METCO's. If nothing by then feel free you will enjoy them too.

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Metco is the original mfg of the replacement Marauder Watts link and rear control arms. Have them on my MM for over 70k miles.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, not sure why anybody would be reticent about buying Metco stuff... :dunno:

Blackened300a
01-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, not sure why anybody would be reticent about buying Metco stuff... :dunno:

CHE ones are maintenance free since that use a delrin bushing that never needs to be greased, they are available in 6 different colors, and they are almost $150 cheaper then Metco.
Nothing wrong with Metco at all, just the CHE ones are a nice alternative.

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2012, 08:23 PM
CHE ones are maintenance free since that use a delrin bushing that never needs to be greased, they are available in 6 different colors, and they are almost $150 cheaper then Metco.
Nothing wrong with Metco at all, just the CHE ones are a nice alternative.

For sure, both are quality products, I'd use either one in a heartbeat. Agreed on the price difference, I wonder if that was what bolsen was referring to. :confused:

Blackened300a
01-05-2012, 08:26 PM
For sure, both are quality products, I'd use either one in a heartbeat. Agreed on the price difference, I wonder if that was what bolsen was referring to. :confused:

That would be my concern. $150 cheaper for a product that performs the same as the more expensive one is a strong argument to wanna go with the cheaper one.

DOOM
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Anything is better than stock!

Been running metcos for over 3 years trouble free. Haven't had to grease them either.

guspech750
01-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Maybe MuscleMerc or Bradley can make a set of control arms out of two OEM sets. Those too are bad ass.

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4df73-962d-c889.jpg

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

MOTOWN
01-06-2012, 12:02 AM
I run the metcos which i snagged from never enough autos ebay store for $384 shipped!

guspech750
01-06-2012, 12:16 AM
I snagged a set of Zack & Mac rear control arms two years ago or so for IIRC, $80 or $90.

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4df73-9fc3-8297.jpg

Total sweetness!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Chi Stallion
01-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Keep us updated Tommy!! I was interested in ordering the whole ultimate handling package with the control arms powder coated red later this week, until i seen this thread!! Let us know how it works out cause im definitely in for the ultimate package.

Ms. Denmark
01-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Try getting Metco to powdercoat in custom purple....:coolman: :D And it would be hard to imagine better customer service than Tommy @ Sparta gives you!

fastblackmerc
01-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Try getting Metco to powdercoat in custom purple....:coolman: :D And it would be hard to imagine better customer service than Tommy @ Sparta gives you!

Never had a problem with customer service from Metco......

And who would want anything in "custom purple"? :D

J/K

SC Cheesehead
01-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Maybe MuscleMerc or Bradley can make a set of control arms out of two OEM sets. Those too are bad ass.

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4df73-962d-c889.jpg

---
- Sent from my iPhone

That's what I'm currently running. Got the first production set that musclemerc fabricated, very pleased with the performance to date.

bolsen
01-06-2012, 11:57 AM
I was referring to the price and quality of Sparta. Also I'd rather give my business to a mm.net vendor...

the whole setup would look nice in red as well :)

bolsen
01-06-2012, 11:59 AM
So, exactly how different will my car feel with upgraded C-arms and W-links? I'm expecting a whole new car. Is that about right?

Ms. Denmark
01-06-2012, 01:51 PM
So, exactly how different will my car feel with upgraded C-arms and W-links? I'm expecting a whole new car. Is that about right? No. Not a big deal difference in my experience.

fastblackmerc
01-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Your Marauder will feel more solid. No wiggling rear end. I'd go with Addco sway bars also. Makes the Marauder handle like its on rails.

SC Cheesehead
01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I was referring to the price and quality of Sparta. Also I'd rather give my business to a mm.net vendor...

the whole setup would look nice in red as well :)

Gotcha. Definitely a difference in price, but both Tommy's parts and Metco are high quality products. Also, just to clarify, Metco has been a long time supporter of MM.net; they regularly contribute products and gift certificates for raffles and door prizes at Marauderville and other regional events.

So, exactly how different will my car feel with upgraded C-arms and W-links? I'm expecting a whole new car. Is that about right?

If you're going to do the above, make sure you upgrade your sway bars as well. Car will handle much more precisely, you'll feel much more in control under hard cornering after doing the upgrades.

Blackened300a
01-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Go up to your Marauder before the install and wiggle the rear of the car by pushing the rear quarter panel. Then do the same trick after the install. The difference in how less you can move the rear after the install will surprise you. The watts link and control arms keep the rear centered when turning and the weight of the car shifts to one side. Control arms also help traction when launching the car off the line.

No. Not a big deal difference in my experience.

You may need a heavier foot in the turns to appreciate them.

Mr. Man
01-06-2012, 02:44 PM
My hair is going grey as it is. If Paula drives any faster it may go clear or fall out:(

Ms. Denmark
01-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Go up to your Marauder before the install and wiggle the rear of the car by pushing the rear quarter panel. Then do the same trick after the install. The difference in how less you can move the rear after the install will surprise you. The watts link and control arms keep the rear centered when turning and the weight of the car shifts to one side. Control arms also help traction when launching the car off the line.

I do have a pretty heavy foot, Paul, and love driving hard into the corners with my MM! :D In truth I have not noticed a big difference.....but Eric swears it's night and day. He says the car is much more level in the turns....I can't notice a tremendous difference but I like that the Che CAs are heavier and seem built to last. I'm glad to have them on my car.

My hair is going grey as it is. If Paula drives any faster it may go clear or fall out:(

fastblackmerc
01-06-2012, 04:06 PM
I do have a pretty heavy foot, Paul, and love driving hard into the corners with my MM! :D In truth I have not noticed a big difference.....but Eric swears it's night and day. He says the car is much more level in the turns....I can't notice a tremendous difference but I like that the Che CAs are heavier and seem built to last. I'm glad to have them on my car.

Level on turns would be more of a sway bar function. Sway bars limit body roll.

Rear control arms and Watts link keep the car's butt in place.

guspech750
01-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Control arms, sway bars, and Moog end links = BIG difference!!!!!

Add in some kick ass Wilwoods and SS brake lines and it's a true dream car (not a Honda Civic)

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Ms. Denmark
01-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Level on turns would be more of a sway bar function. Sway bars limit body roll.

Rear control arms and Watts link keep the car's butt in place.
You're right Jim. I have Addco swaybars, too. ;)

justbob
01-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Imagine hammering it at 38 MPH and SHREDDING the tires thru first, then into second for anywhere between 25 and 75 feet (depending on 40* or 80*....) and tracking straight the entire way building MPH faster than most all cars around you that think there fast and running you with nothing but traction.

No more dancing here, drifting there, wobbling, well I think you get it. This is my experience..

I would get the Metco Watts link only because I already have their controll arms and would like a matching set. Still waiting on my Addco F & R sway bars from Sparta to help this lumbering car shaped dump truck in the turns. Might lower it a tad more and get some new shocks at time of install.

LANDY
01-06-2012, 08:45 PM
I snagged a set of Zack & Mac rear control arms two years ago or so for IIRC, $80 or $90.

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4df73-9fc3-8297.jpg

Total sweetness!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!Mac and Zack CA FTW!

bolsen
01-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Control arms, sway bars, and Moog end links = BIG difference!!!!!

Add in some kick ass Wilwoods and SS brake lines and it's a true dream car (not a Honda Civic)

---
- Sent from my iPhone
That is pretty much what I want exactly! A few minor performance uogrades as well, 4.10, ported polished plenum, UDs and a throttle spacer. I would be very happy with that for a while.

guspech750
01-07-2012, 01:40 AM
That is pretty much what I want exactly! A few minor performance uogrades as well, 4.10, ported polished plenum, UDs and a throttle spacer. I would be very happy with that for a while.

Before I did the SC and suspension mods. I was very happy with just my 4.10's, UD pullies, Zack tune, and JLT intake. With just those mods. The MM was a totally different car. Buuuuuuuuut. I wanted more :D

---
- Sent from my iPhone

LANDY
01-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Imagine hammering it at 38 MPH and SHREDDING the tires thru first, then into second for anywhere between 25 and 75 feet (depending on 40* or 80*....) and tracking straight the entire way building MPH faster than most all cars around you that think there fast and running you with nothing but traction.

No more dancing here, drifting there, wobbling, well I think you get it. This is my experience..

I would get the Metco Watts link only because I already have their controll arms and would like a matching set. Still waiting on my Addco F & R sway bars from Sparta to help this lumbering car shaped dump truck in the turns. Might lower it a tad more and get some new shocks at time of install.
One thing I found by lowering our cars more than an inch is they loose traction real bad specially on drag radials.
I remember punching it at 20mph and hooking like a rocket, now with the same power it spins no matter what.
You might wanna think about how you really want your car to behave before you lower it.
I'm raising mine in the next couple of weeks.