PDA

View Full Version : tensioner pulley/belt

MMcactusflower
01-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Hello guys (and gals)...when I bought my '04 MM last year (22K miles bought from original owner here in Texas) I thought the squeaking noise I was hearing when I drove at neighborhood speeds might have been the rubber bumpers rubbing against something else...but now have discovered that the noise is not present with the car in P or N, but the intermittent squeaking begins with the car shifted in D or another gear. It does seem to be coming from either the serpentine belt or the tension pulley.
I assume the belt is the original one...so I have bought a replacement and will install it this weekend...then see if that cures the problem. If not, I figure it will be the tension pulley.
Does that seem like a reasonable process to figure out what the exact cause of the slight squeaking might be?
Thanks for the information.

fastblackmerc
01-07-2012, 09:57 AM
I'd replace both pulleys and the belt.

Use a Gatorback belt ONLY!

Belts:
Serpentine (NAPA) – PBH4060923 - stock
Gatorback (Goodyear) – 4060922 - stock

Belt Tensioner:
Dayco – 305291
Goodyear – 49293

Idler Pulleys:
Dayco (smooth) - 89007
FoMoCo (ribbed) - YW7Z-8678-AA

MMcactusflower
01-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks a bunch. I appreciate it.

MMcactusflower
01-09-2012, 08:50 AM
I am wondering now if there is any difference in the brands of belt tensioners and idler pulleys...do you have any preferences or do they all work and fit about the same?

CBT
01-09-2012, 08:53 AM
I am wondering now if there is any difference in the brands of belt tensioners and idler pulleys...do you have any preferences or do they all work and fit about the same?

When I replaced my idler pulley they ordered one for an 03 Cobra motor. Fit just fine and it even has a little belt guard cast into it. Win.

MMcactusflower
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
As per the suggestion to my earlier question, I am going to replace all the idler pulleys (ribbed and smooth) and the tensioner pulley and arm (I guess) so I will look into the cobra pulley. Sounds pretty nifty. Thanks.

MMcactusflower
01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
The good ol' guys and gals at the local parts stores are not being very helpful alas...so I have another question about my belt/pulley job on my '04 MM.
I can find the Goodyear Gatorback belt (4060922) at Summit...AutoZone does not have Dayco pulleys...will check O'R and Napa...or should I just go to a Ford dealer here to get the rest of the pulleys?
I am also wondering if I need to get a new complete belt tensioner arm and pulley...or just the pulley...I have not taken it off yet to see if that part is one unit...pulley and arm together...so I do not know about that.
This business all started with the 'chirping'/squeaking noise from the belt/pulley system on my 22,000 MM...and thanks to you folks at the MM website, I have part numbers for all this repair job...and a neat idea about an '03 Cobra pulley.
What a great resource this site is for someone like me who wants to do these things to his own MM, rather than take it to a dealer or local auto repair person. I should have been 'wrenching' when I was studying anatomy in med school...probably would have been tons more fun anyhow.
Thanks again for any information.

tbone
01-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Get the Gatorback and see if it solves the problem. It fixed my squeak 40K miles ago. Then get the tensioner if the squeak persists. Then get the last two pullies if needed.

kernie
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Get the Gatorback and see if it solves the problem. It fixed my squeek 40K miles ago. Then get the tensioner if the squeek persists. Then get the last two pullies if needed.

That sounds like good advice, i have a bird like chirp that turned into a squeel just today, gonna replace the belt and go from there.

:beer:

MMcactusflower
01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks ever so much folks.
That is exactly the process I will go through to find the culprit.
Diagnosing heart 'issues' was soooooooooo much easier than this process is turning out to be...but with the help and advice of you people on this website...
I FEEL EMPOWERED and will press on.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE I SAY!!!!!!!!