PDA

View Full Version : how do i get the steering wheel off the column

bigcowl-imp
01-30-2012, 02:06 PM
yes i have the air bag off.........theres no holes for 2 bolts for a steering wheel puller..........so i took a deep well socket thats smaller then the hole and tried to pound the shaft down and no go......

ImpalaSlayer
01-30-2012, 02:22 PM
yes i have the air bag off.........theres no holes for 2 bolts for a steering wheel puller..........so i took a deep well socket thats smaller then the hole and tried to pound the shaft down and no go......

you need a 2 jaw puller, you should see 2 little humps at 12 and 6 o clock for the jaws to catch

yjmud
01-30-2012, 02:23 PM
it is a two jaw puller to remove or put the bolt back in loose and tap with a hammer while pulling the wheel from the column

justbob
01-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Old skool here. Leave nut on a couple threads and rock side to side while pulling!

Big Black Beast
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Mine was really on there. I only had an old bolt style pulling kit and had to jury rig a puller together with parts from that and from a gear puller set I had.

bigcowl-imp
01-31-2012, 03:59 AM
Old skool here. Leave nut on a couple threads and rock side to side while pulling!

Don`t work its on to tight.......also if you put the bolt back in and leave it loose and hit it with a hammer don`t work..........i had to put the 2 jaws at 1;00 o`clock and 7;00 o`clock to get it to line up with the center shaft and bingo.....

justbob
01-31-2012, 05:31 AM
Don`t work its on to tight.......also if you put the bolt back in and leave it loose and hit it with a hammer don`t work..........i had to put the 2 jaws at 1;00 o`clock and 7;00 o`clock to get it to line up with the center shaft and bingo.....

Hmm. Mine was certainatly tight, but POP it went. Of course, I am still the only one I have heard of yet to have the shaft starting to wear. I wrote a thread a couple years ago of my steering wheel slightly moving, popping when pulled or pushed, and found it was starting to wear on the shaft and I had to tighten a hair more when I assembled it back. (SCARY!! As I have seen one guy break the column nut clean off once!) I tore the entire column apart trying to find what was causing the movement, that was the only thing found. Maybe pulling myself out too hard?

yjmud
01-31-2012, 06:46 AM
got the one for my vic that way and the one in my vic with the hammer trick