PDA

View Full Version : Window Tinting in New York ???

MENINBLK
01-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Has anyone gotten a great tint job done from a RELIABLE source ?
I am looking to do a 50% tint job but don't know where to go.
I know the limit in NY State is 30%, but on a Black Marauder,
I think more would look way too dark.

Anyone in Westchester or NYC have any ideas ???

Edited...

MARAUDERCHICK
01-30-2004, 09:52 AM
I am looking to do a 20% tint job but don't know where to go.
I know the limit in NY State is 37%, but on a Black Marauder,
I think it would look way too dark.

Actually, 20% is darker than 37%. I know a guy who does EXCELLENT work but he's in Georgia. Don't know if you'd want to take that trip just for window tinting.;)

Good luck in your search!

MENINBLK
01-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Actually, 20% is darker than 37%.

I've seen what 20% looks like and it isn't darker than 37%.
20% tint is a 20% reduction in transparency.
37% tint is a 37% reduction in transparency.

MARAUDERCHICK
01-30-2004, 10:52 AM
I've seen what 20% looks like and it isn't darker than 37%.
20% tint is a 20% reduction in transparency.
37% tint is a 37% reduction in transparency.
I called my tint guy and asked to make sure I didn't have it backwards, and he confirmed that 20%, 37%, or whatever %, is the amount of VISABILITY or the amount of light that can pass through, so therefore, 20% would be darker. Not trying to argue the point, just stating the facts. ;)

P.S. I have 35% tint on my car and my friend has 15% on their car and 15% is definately darker.

03SILVERSTREAK
01-30-2004, 10:53 AM

I might know of a few places but will check to see what the rate is and inquire about this cold temperture...

MENINBLK
01-30-2004, 11:16 AM
I called my tint guy and asked to make sure I didn't have it backwards, and he confirmed that 20%, 37%, or whatever %, is the amount of VISABILITY or the amount of light that can pass through, so therefore, 20% would be darker. Not trying to argue the point, just stating the facts. ;)

P.S. I have 35% tint on my car and my friend has 15% on their car and 15% is definately darker.

Just so we all have it right, here is a quote from the NYS DMV...

"Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle."

"12-a. (b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street: (1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield; or (2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator`s seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or (3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or (4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle."

The % refers to light transmission, so 30% tint would only have 30% light transmission,
20% would only have 20% light transmission, so then 20% would have to be darker than 30%.
So now I have to check with how my friend's tint job was labeled, because I know it isn't that dark.

Also in NY the limit is 70%.

My bad... :lol:

MARAUDERCHICK
01-30-2004, 11:42 AM
It's OK, I'll letcha' slide this time:D :lol:

CRUZTAKER
01-30-2004, 12:22 PM
OK MENINBLK, do you have it straight now? Marauderchick beat me to the punch, but she IS correct. I tinted windows back in the day.

I wouldn't recommend going darker than 50% in NY. No one makes a 70% tint so you are stuck with the basic choices: 50, 35, 25, and 15.

You must be aware, the side and back windows have a factory tint of approximently 85%. When you add the 50% tint to your glass, you are actually now taking the level to about 35-38% or so. Very illegal in NY.

I have 50% on my MM. At the Rush L/M marauder meet here in Ohio last summer, we were fortunate to have an Ohio State Patrol officer on hand to do free tint testing (w/o issuing citations). I tested roughly 38% on a manual test. Illegal in Ohio. Our law states 50%. The only way to beat the law is to have tinted glass installed on the vehicle, such as the vans and suv's with that dark a$$ glass, it's IN the glass, and cannot be removed.

We're not raggen' you man, alot of people make this mistake.
15% is darker than 50%

Good luck with your choice. My pics are in the gallery for a comparison.

martyo
01-30-2004, 01:37 PM

This place did my Durango and did a super job:
Auto Infatuations 914-654-1898

I had my dealer do the MM and they did a decent job.

Legalities aside, go with a dark tint it looks better. I have my vehicles done that way and have yet to have a problem with the police.

Marauder
01-30-2004, 01:43 PM
I know of a really good place in Queens that did my Crown Vic with 35%. The guy that did it did such an awesome job!!! He even did the rear window with one piece and not in strips!!!

Speedworld
77-20 Queens Boulevard
Elmhurst, NY 11373
718-651-6541

But the NY law of 70% sux!!! I've had 50% before and you couldn't even tell it was tinted sometimes!!! Imagine 70% which is lighter???

35% in bright sunlight seemed a bit light as it is.

I still haven't decide if I'm going to tint my Marauder at all. I'm starting to get used to the factory tint which is like 97% light transmission or something.

jgc61sr2002
01-30-2004, 05:40 PM
The lower the number the darker the tint. IMO 35% is about right, anything darker makes it harder to see when backing . Almost any tint on the drivers or passenger doors is illegal in NYS. :(

MarauderMark
01-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Welp im illeagal in any state with 5% limo tint. so far so good .stay away from police and keep the speed..plus mine guy will replace the tint as long as i own the car if it cracks peels or if i get made to remove it so who really cares.....:)