PDA

View Full Version : Head Lights

Murader03
12-05-2002, 01:30 PM
Guys:

Found a little know/documented thing about the headlights. I stopped for gas the other morning and didn't want the lights on while I was pumping. Left the car run as it was about 20 deg. and wind chill about 5.
So, I turned the lights off from the far left, automatic position. The lights failed to turn off. I found the lights would stay on until I turned the ignition off. Once the ignition was cycled, the light operation was normal. So, if your stopped at night, with auto lamps on, and turn them off manually, don't be suprised if they stay on till you turn the ignition off.

Racerx88
12-05-2002, 02:59 PM
If you had turned it one notch further to the manual parking light setting, and THEN turned it back to off, they'd have gone off.

Now having said that, does anybody know a way to adjust the sensitivity of the headlight sensor so the headlights don't come everytime a cloud passes over?!

Murader03
12-06-2002, 05:18 AM
**If you had turned it one notch further to the manual parking light setting, and THEN turned it back to off, they'd have gone off**

Racer, that's true also, but never got that far. I didn't expect the lights to stay on as they did. It was just an observation as I'd not experienced that before on my old '92 CVLXHPP when I had it. The '02 CVLXSport I traded for the MM didn't have the auto on lamp feature.

Mikeenh
12-06-2002, 07:30 AM
Remember that if your wipers are on or on delay your headlights will stay on. When you have them on the slowest delay you tend to forget and wonder why you've lost control of your lights.

Murader03
12-06-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Mikeenh
Remember that if your wipers are on or on delay your headlights will stay on. When you have them on the slowest delay you tend to forget and wonder why you've lost control of your lights.

I knew that! Didn't know the other combination concerning the lights when they are active from the auto on finction, then turing them to off! Learning more each day!

KSMM03
12-29-2002, 08:03 PM
Bob,

Something you might want to watch out for. I know its a pain, but might want to shut the car off when fueling, otherwise you may get the "check engine light" coming on. Apparently this happens when fueling the car running. It happens with other Fords and Lincolns. The only way to shut it off is take it to the dealer.

Murader03
12-30-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by KSMM03
Bob,

Something you might want to watch out for. I know its a pain, but might want to shut the car off when fueling, otherwise you may get the "check engine light" coming on. Apparently this happens when fueling the car running. It happens with other Fords and Lincolns. The only way to shut it off is take it to the dealer.

Chris. you can clear the light by disconnecting the battery for about 15-30 minutes, or if you know womeone with a code reader, you can clear it that way. Seems to me, that this item should clear itself once the cap is reinstalled. My daughters GenMotors car will clear itself.

Slowpoke
12-31-2002, 04:47 PM
you may also want to shut the car off while fueling because your car may EXPLODE! [at least that's what my wife tells me]

slowpoke

LincMercLover
12-31-2002, 04:52 PM
It's true, static electricty. Boom boom, and your MM will be up in flames!

jefferson-mo
12-31-2002, 04:54 PM
The check light comes on 'cause the gas cap is off, but it WILL reset itself(probably not right away)

Marauderman
01-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Whenever refueling your car==once out -stay out--do not re-enter car---reason-- Most static electricity( spark produced from us rubbing against seating against our clothing) occurs while exiting the vehicle--thus--Static electricity can spark from re-exiting the car while fuel vapors (Not fumes) are in the air--if spark hits vapors they( vapors) will iginite back to it's source--the gasoine--thus B O O M!!!===flash back---everthing g o n e ! Poof!! SO get out to re-fuel--stay out with the re-fueling process until completed and nozzle returned to it's halter--
Please! This has been an unpaid ad for your safety----MM man