PDA

View Full Version : Whipple Project

CWright
04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Well here we go again. After cooking Trilogy 005 I decided to break into the 2.3 Whipple. Here are a few picts from the past few days. I hope to be back up and running this week. I want to send out a big THANKS to Todd (Bodyman) and Chris (Blown 3.8) for all your help and the picts you sent. Also thanks to Marty, Jeff, Brandon, and Jimbo at Mo's Speed shop. I hope that we can post up some numbers in the next few days.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/whipple_6.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/whipple_5.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Whipple1.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

PonyUP
04-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Now Chris, you know your car is going to need a name when all this is done, because it's gonna be a killa

Pony seal of Approval

CWright
04-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Now Chris, you know your car is going to need a name when all this is done, because it's gonna be a killa

Pony seal of Approval

I'm afraid to ask but, any suggestions? :burnout::burnout:

boatmangc
04-01-2012, 01:58 PM
How about Jealousmuch?

guspech750
04-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Mmmmmm. Whipple. It's what's for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

marauder410
04-01-2012, 02:29 PM
one day i want to have the 4.0 whipple on my MM is thta possible and isnt that the biggest whipple made and one of the biggest baggest superchragers out and avaluble for our cars

sailsmen
04-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Curious, did you post a diagnosis of the failure?

"Squezzzeably Soft"?

DOOM
04-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Finally!!! Now I don't have to keep my mouth shut anymore! :lol:

Git er done bro! :beer:

NATEHAWK
04-01-2012, 03:34 PM
RIP to Trilogy 005....I was the second owner and king of that kit...I had it run best 11.9.....

PonyUP
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Well it's gotta be mean cause you are gonna destroy other cars

Hemi Hunter is already taken

Whipped would be interesting because of the s/c, but might make you sound weak because of the alternative meaning

I might have to think about this awhile, but you're going to have a heck of a beast

Pony seal of Approval

NATEHAWK
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM
BTW what you do with the upper inlet that had the 005 on it and the coil covers?????

BODYMAN
04-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Cant wait to see completed pics. You are gonna love it Chris!!!!! I swear A Whipple rt at home under the MM hood. If I ever upgrade mine it would be a 2.9 cause they are no taller then 2.3 & everyone ive talked who has a 2.9 loves them.

CWright
04-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Curious, did you post a diagnosis of the failure?

"Squezzzeably Soft"?

We weren't exactly sure what caused the failure but the barings did turn loose and the rotors rubbed the inside of the case. Here's the video below and you can hear after the WOT. It made a good pull at 493RWHP. I figured it must have been on it's last leg. I'm just glad it did it on the dyno and not on the highway somewhere. Things happen and I understood that going into it. No worries on my end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxkPNCbWl2Y

Finally!!! Now I don't have to keep my mouth shut anymore! :lol:

Git er done bro! :beer:

Figured I would take the pressure off of you. :D

CWright
04-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Cant wait to see completed pics. You are gonna love it Chris!!!!! I swear A Whipple rt at home under the MM hood. If I ever upgrade mine it would be a 2.9 cause they are no taller then 2.3 & everyone ive talked who has a 2.9 loves them.

I hope to have more picts later in the week. I had to wait for 3 weeks on Whipple to build the sucker. I checked with a few different places but I ordered through FordRacing123.com at the best price. Everyone I spoke to would have it drop shipped from Whipple direct. I even called Whipple and they said ordering from them put it out 3 weeks. I can't wait to see the finished product. We'll see what numbers she puts down. I'd like to go the 2.9 eventually but figured I would start here for now to have a good platform to build on. :beer:

MOTOWN
04-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Lookin good Chris! glad its coming along

fastblackmerc
04-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Congrats!

Can't wait to hear / see it!

CWright
04-01-2012, 04:00 PM
How about Jealousmuch?

:D

Mmmmmm. Whipple. It's what's for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone

Hemi's :burn:

Well it's gotta be mean cause you are gonna destroy other cars

Hemi Hunter is already taken

Whipped would be interesting because of the s/c, but might make you sound weak because of the alternative meaning

I might have to think about this awhile, but you're going to have a heck of a beast

Pony seal of Approval

Keep me posted. I know you can do it. :D

BTW what you do with the upper inlet that had the 005 on it and the coil covers?????

There has been a member contact me about buying it to rebuild. I'm gonna let the blower, mounting plate, and inlet piping go to him. I'll let him post up once he decides to move. I'll have to say, Chris did a great job polishing it and powder coating the letters on it. It looks great.

NATEHAWK
04-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Hemi's :burn:

Keep me posted. I know you can do it. :D

There has been a member contact me about buying it to rebuild. I'm gonna let the blower, mounting plate, and inlet piping go to him. I'll let him post up once he decides to move. I'll have to say, Chris did a great job polishing it and powder coating the letters on it. It looks great.

Cool...She lives again:banana2::burnout:

CBT
04-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Looks much more awesomer than on my tiny phone screen! :beer:

sailsmen
04-01-2012, 04:29 PM
We weren't exactly sure what caused the failure but the barings did turn loose and the rotors rubbed the inside of the case. Here's the video below and you can hear after the WOT. It made a good pull at 493RWHP. I figured it must have been on it's last leg. I'm just glad it did it on the dyno and not on the highway somewhere. Things happen and I understood that going into it. No worries on my end.

Figured I would take the pressure off of you. :D

So it was just the Eaton that went. Why not just put on a rebuilt Eaton?

CWright
04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Cool...She lives again:banana2::burnout:

I would have rebuilt but going after the power I want I would def be overdriving the Trilogy. I'm glad this guy wants to rebuild 005. It's a great looking kit for sure. I almost went with the TS set up that Jerry made before but after looking at the cost to do it with a Lysolm blower at 2k and the parts from Jerry at north of 2k more, and a new snout at 500.00, the Whipple was a more economical way. I hate to part with it but I needed to move on.

justbob
04-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Looks awesome Chris!

How about project egoboost? :)

GAMike
04-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Glad to see things coming together Chris! She's gonna be one mean sucka we you get through these next couple steps. Looking forward to seeing her go.....

I smell a Doomie / CWright showdown in Louisville :) hehehe

LANDY
04-01-2012, 08:22 PM

that's weird usually they make noise before they fall apart. I hope whoever took the blower apart stood behind it. On another note Congrats on the whipple you car will become a totally different animal.

Mercguy04
04-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Chris,
WOW, The Whipple looks really great. I'm sure you will be very very happy when you
complete the project. Perhaps a name like "RITE STF" (RIGHT STUFF). What ever you
decide on will be right for you. Best of Luck on your project.

TAKEDOWN
04-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Now you'll have to change your plate to "GOT WHPD"

DOOM
04-01-2012, 10:31 PM

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!! :beer:

CWright
04-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Lookin good Chris! glad its coming along

Congrats!

Can't wait to hear / see it!

Thanks Jim and Roger

Thanks Case, Jake beat me to it! ;)

Looks awesome Chris!

How about project egoboost? :)

Egoboost :P

Glad to see things coming together Chris! She's gonna be one mean sucka we you get through these next couple steps. Looking forward to seeing her go.....

I smell a Doomie / CWright showdown in Louisville :) hehehe[/QUOTE

As you know, It's been hard for me to keep quiet! :D

[QUOTE=LANDY;1167240]that's weird usually they make noise before they fall apart. I hope whoever took the blower apart behind it. On another note Congrats on the whipple you car will become a totally different animal.

Thanks Landy. It sucked no doubt. Actually I was going to swap to a TS in about 6 months anyway. This event just put me ahead of schedule.

Chris,
WOW, The Whipple looks really great. I'm sure you will be very very happy when you
complete the project. Perhaps a name like "RITE STF" (RIGHT STUFF). What ever you
decide on will be right for you. Best of Luck on your project.

Now you'll have to change your plate to "GOT WHPD"

I like both of these. :beer:

I knew someone would say it! :D

CBT
04-02-2012, 05:19 AM

I knew someone would say it! :D

Don't make me cell phone shoutbox yous. :bop:
Gonna be some crazy horsepower in L-ville this year. Maybe we can get a nice group shot of all the supercharged ones. I can think of 12 or 13 off the top of my head.

Guittard22
04-02-2012, 05:28 AM

This may be to long of a name :cool4:

Operation unleash the BEAST whipple Charged

Speed
04-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Wow, I need to get from under my rock more often. I hate to hear about Trilogy #005 but looks like you're going to have more of a monster on your hand..Congratulations.

BODYMAN
04-02-2012, 07:23 AM
I hope to have more picts later in the week. I had to wait for 3 weeks on Whipple to build the sucker. I checked with a few different places but I ordered through FordRacing123.com at the best price. Everyone I spoke to would have it drop shipped from Whipple direct. I even called Whipple and they said ordering from them put it out 3 weeks. I can't wait to see the finished product. We'll see what numbers she puts down. I'd like to go the 2.9 eventually but figured I would start here for now to have a good platform to build on. :beer:

Yeah You got one heck of a start to upgrade on down the road!! Are you trying to get it donw for louisville?

PonyUP
04-02-2012, 08:50 AM
9 days and counting Chris until Louisville, it will be a great way to break her in. Been thinking of a name, and for some reason I like this

"Cool Whip" I know it doesn't exactly scream fear, but I just like it

CWright
04-02-2012, 09:20 AM
This may be to long of a name :cool4:

Operation unleash the BEAST whipple Charged

I like "BEAST" but something about that personally keeps me from doing it. But part of me does like it.

Wow, I need to get from under my rock more often. I hate to hear about Trilogy #005 but looks like you're going to have more of a monster on your hand..Congratulations.

Thanks Tony.

Yeah You got one heck of a start to upgrade on down the road!! Are you trying to get it donw for louisville?

We are trying to be ready. I'm ordering new pulleys today to get into the boost range we're after. They will be here by Wed. We were hoping to have her fired up Wed afternoon or Thursday according to Brandon. Fingers are crossed.

9 days and counting Chris until Louisville, it will be a great way to break her in. Been thinking of a name, and for some reason I like this

"Cool Whip" I know it doesn't exactly scream fear, but I just like it

It's got a ring to it. I thought about this "FRKNSTY" Freak Nasty.

Marauderman
04-02-2012, 09:26 AM
It's got a ring to it. I thought about this "FRKNSTY" Freak Nasty.[/QUOTE]

Then there's one like Tom uses in Fla---- ( SIC-MERC) always like it--but not sure how he would feel with another using it--except it is in another state---

...........and aren't you busy elsewhere this Thursday------yuk, yuk!!(think stooges) :lol:

CWright
04-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Then there's one like Tom uses in Fla---- ( SIC-MERC) always like it--but not sure how he would feel with another using it--except it is in another state---

...........and aren't you busy elsewhere this Thursday------yuk, yuk!!(think stooges) :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'll be cutting out bright and early! :D

MOTOWN
04-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Chris this thread has me drooooling! im seriously thinking of selling my trilogy kit and getting my self a whipple 2.9l, ohhh and that aluminator!

CWright
04-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Chris this thread has me drooooling! im seriously thinking of selling my trilogy kit and getting my self a whipple 2.9l, ohhh and that aluminator!

:eek: MY BAD! :D

BODYMAN
04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I like "BEAST" but something about that personally keeps me from doing it. But part of me does like it.

Thanks Tony.

We are trying to be ready. I'm ordering new pulleys today to get into the boost range we're after. They will be here by Wed. We were hoping to have her fired up Wed afternoon or Thursday according to Brandon. Fingers are crossed.

Well good luck hope it can be done by then. Iam gonna be pushing it myself sent blower off for rebuild today although he did say he will most likely have to me by next Wednesday so more then enough time..

CWright
04-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Well good luck hope it can be done by then. Iam gonna be pushing it myself sent blower off for rebuild today although he did say he will most likely have to me by next Wednesday so more then enough time..

I hope we both make it with our Marauders. Two Whipples or more at an event would be sweet. :beer:

CWright
04-16-2012, 07:16 PM
I picked the car up last Thursday from Marty's and drove it straight to Louisville. It ran like a champ the entire time! As of right now it is sitting at 535 RWHP and 525 RWTQ. Jeff tuned it on Wed evening and wanted to do some more pulls Thursday morning. We both had a revelation and thought about the gas being 3 months old. So we did not do any more pulls with that full tank of gas. I took a few notes, at his request, and over the next few weeks we will do some more pulls. I am going to 3" exhaust all the way back and going to get a new tensioner. Other than that we are rolling and the car is a beast! I had a lot of fun in Louisville and the 6 hour trip each direction went without a glitch.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Louisville_2012_008.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Here's video of it running tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39fbXkf8_4&feature=youtu.be

PonyUP
04-16-2012, 07:59 PM
I always loved this car, now I'm ready to propose to it. So great to see it in Louisville and I think out boys at breakfast Saturday Chris are going to need some napkins, cause they will be drooling

Btw, your new screen name should be prairie dog, just saying :lol:

Pony seal of Approval

LANDY
04-16-2012, 08:03 PM
I picked the car up last Thursday from Marty's and drove it straight to Louisville. It ran like a champ the entire time! As of right now it is sitting at 535 RWHP and 525 RWTQ. Jeff tuned it on Wed evening and wanted to do some more pulls Thursday morning. We both had a revelation and thought about the gas being 3 months old. So we did not do any more pulls with that full tank of gas. I took a few notes, at his request, and over the next few weeks we will do some more pulls. I am going to 3" exhaust all the way back and going to get a new tensioner. Other than that we are rolling and the car is a beast! I had a lot of fun in Louisville and the 6 hour trip each direction went without a glitch.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Louisville_2012_008.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Here's video of it running tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39fbXkf8_4&feature=youtu.be
That's what I'm talking about! Enjoy it, and bring good tires to the shootout, you will need them forsure.

CBT
04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I picked the car up last Thursday from Marty's and drove it straight to Louisville. It ran like a champ the entire time!

Crazy clean in person! We were behind you heading to one of the events, I said man his car sounds great! Amy says heck yeah, it sounds.......angry. :beer:

MOTOWN
04-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Chris you da man bud! i cant wait to see this beast in living color!

1 Bad Merc
04-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Wow -your car at Looseville looked great and sounded just plain ol nasty!!!!

Those numbers are fantastic -Congrats on a great build.

Marauderman
04-17-2012, 04:06 AM
OK--Its without a doubt--your new tag has got to be--

"DONTEVEN"----:lol: Spelled however you can get it done for Ga.

CWright
04-17-2012, 04:59 AM
I always loved this car, now I'm ready to propose to it. So great to see it in Louisville and I think out boys at breakfast Saturday Chris are going to need some napkins, cause they will be drooling

Btw, your new screen name should be prairie dog, just saying :lol:

Pony seal of Approval

Thanks Brad! I hope to make it Saturday. My wife is going out of town so I have the kids. If I don't find a babysitter I might have to bring them with me. Priarie dog.... DUDE I can't even begin to tell you how bad it was. Didn't see any cops till the last 2 miles of the trip. That's when the pain was horrible and I was sweating it out! :lol:

That's what I'm talking about! Enjoy it, and bring good tires to the shootout, you will need them forsure.

Thanks bro! Looking forward to November :beer:

Crazy clean in person! We were behind you heading to one of the events, I said man his car sounds great! Amy says heck yeah, it sounds.......angry. :beer:

Thanks Casey, Tell Amy I like the way she thinks! :D

Chris you da man bud! i cant wait to see this beast in living color!

I can't wait to see your new project bigtime! Keep us posted on when you'll be in the neighborhood!

Wow -your car at Looseville looked great and sounded just plain ol nasty!!!!

Those numbers are fantastic -Congrats on a great build.

Thanks Brad! You got a mean on your hands as well. That engine bay is beautiful! :beer:

I checked at the tag office last Wed and that tag wasn't available.:( Gonna stick with CDUB 19 for now. I hope to try to make to your neck of the woods next month. My wife is trying to plan my daughters birthday party for the end of May instead of the beginning. Guess I'll have to rent a trailer :o Someone got mine! J/K!

Marauderman
04-17-2012, 05:52 AM

Then again there is in honor of the Wipple...."Whoopah" or similiar...carry on

BODYMAN
04-17-2012, 06:45 AM
You got a very nice build Chris Super car! I showed you my personal tags right? (2-3whpl) that way when I blow by them they can see what I got. LOL.. Keep up the great work on youre car. Hope to see you again at MV. At last count there is now 3 of us with 2.3 Whipples

Black&Gifted
04-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Congrats and nice numbers.

What did they do in terms of your fuels system?

guspech750
04-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Geesh Chris. Pictures and video do not do your car the proper justice it deserves. What a piece of art. Everything is so clean. The Whipple looks fantastic along with the Wilwoods. I so badly want the rear Wilwoods now after seeing them in person.

You have one heck of a ride there.

Sent from my iPhone

MM2004
04-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Chris has one helluva clean MM, and is a freakin' BEAST!

Charlotte and I went for a quick, and I do mean quick ride with Chris.

She sounds damn good and pulls HARD! All the way to about 110 MPH.

Thanks for the ride Chris!

Mike.

CWright
04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
You got a very nice build Chris Super car! I showed you my personal tags right? (2-3whpl) that way when I blow by them they can see what I got. LOL.. Keep up the great work on youre car. Hope to see you again at MV. At last count there is now 3 of us with 2.3 Whipples

I appreciate that Todd. It is so much fun to drive!

Congrats and nice numbers.

What did they do in terms of your fuels system?

Upgraded FPDM and went with Twin Supercar Pumps. No BAP was needed.

Geesh Chris. Pictures and video do not do your car the proper justice it deserves. What a piece of art. Everything is so clean. The Whipple looks fantastic along with the Wilwoods. I so badly want the rear Wilwoods now after seeing them in person.

You have one heck of a ride there.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Joe. I also appreciate the link on the Tensioner! :beer:

Chris has one helluva clean MM, and is a freakin' BEAST!

Charlotte and I went for a quick, and I do mean quick ride with Chris.

She sounds damn good and pulls HARD! All the way to about 110 MPH.

Thanks for the ride Chris!

Mike.

Charlotte said she liked to go fast! :D What was fun was how FAST we got up to 110. LOL! I liked it when we got back to the hotel and was pulling around the back of the building. You said "WHOA..... Wait just a minute. Don't let me out of this thing till you punch it!" I'd say we woke up the neighbors! :beer:

napolitano
04-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Wow. I bet driving that sucker is loads of fun. How much timing are you running with those numbers? Hey did you upgrade or change your water pump, asking cause you and I talked a while back about an mezziur pumps. Twin superpumps? No BAP? Awesome! Hope to see it in person soon.

CWright
04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Wow. I bet driving that sucker is loads of fun. How much timing are you running with those numbers? Hey did you upgrade or change your water pump, asking cause you and I talked a while back about an mezziur pumps. Twin superpumps? No BAP? Awesome! Hope to see it in person soon.

Right now it's set at 15 degrees. Maybe I'll bring to Daytona this summer. :D

napolitano
04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Good deal. Let me know when you decide. I brought the MM there last year and stayed at the oceanwalk hotel where we met you last time. Indoor parking and all for the MM.

CWright
04-17-2012, 02:46 PM
3" exhaust is going on Friday. My current kooks 2.5" x pipe will be going up for sale soon after.

BigM460
04-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Chris we need to work something out on those headers?!!:D

Muffrauder
04-23-2012, 04:16 AM
3" exhaust is going on Friday. My current kooks 2.5" x pipe will be going up for sale soon after.

Well it has 3 inch on it now......:flamer:

Marauder_Santa
04-23-2012, 04:30 AM
How do you like the exaust and who did the work?

CWright
04-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Brian Jones did a great job. I am very pleased. I highly recommend him.

CWright
04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Well it has 3 inch on it now......:flamer:

Check out Brian's work. AMAZING!! Even over the axle in 3" mandrel bent.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Marauder_Exhaust_2012_011.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Marauder_Exhaust_2012_009.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Marauder_Exhaust_2012_001.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Marauder_Exhaust_2012_003.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

martyo
04-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Bryan is the man although he still owes me a muffler man or two!!!

hotford
04-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

gmarsden9
04-24-2012, 09:04 AM
beautiful sight

BigM460
04-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Very nice! Looks great!

Muffrauder
04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Bryan is the man although he still owes me a muffler man or two!!!
Every day I hang my head ...I have let my buddy down... How about a nice stripper for your birthday?

Muffrauder
04-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks Chris...felt good to do a Marauder..it's been a while . Wish she had been tuned..I could have gone for a little "**** scared outta me" ride.

martyo
04-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Every day I hang my head ...I have let my buddy down... How about a nice stripper for your birthday?

Make it twins and you have a deal!!!!!

CWright
04-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks Chris...felt good to do a Marauder..it's been a while . Wish she had been tuned..I could have gone for a little "**** scared outta me" ride.

I'll stop by one day and we'll take her for a spin! :burnout: Give me a week or so. Maybe you could make one of our breakfast events on the 3rd Sat of each month. It's just up the road from the shop. :D

Muffrauder
04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I'll stop by one day and we'll take her for a spin! :burnout: Give me a week or so. Maybe you could make one of our breakfast events on the 3rd Sat of each month. It's just up the road from the shop. :D
Do don't think I'd get "mugged" when I pull in the lot with my GMC truck do you?.. I might try and get up there next month.

White Knuckles
04-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Do don't think I'd get "mugged" when I pull in the lot with my GMC truck do you?.. I might try and get up there next month.
Naw...........I drive my GMC up there all the time. When I get in late on Fridays, its tough trying to dig the Marauder out.

GAMike
04-28-2012, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE=Muffrauder;1176452]Do don't think I'd get "mugged" when I pull in the lot with my GMC truck do you?..QUOTE]

Oh it could be arranged if ya want :P