PDA

View Full Version : Any Interest In a WI to MI Ferry Ride for MV10?

SC Cheesehead
04-24-2012, 06:44 AM
A few folks have expressed interest in doing this prior to Marauderville 10, so I thought I'd start a separate thread to start tracking and coordinating.

There are two options:

The SS Badger, departing from Manitowoc, WI and arriving in Ludington, MI http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

and

The Lake Express, departing from Milwaukee, WI and arriving in Muskegon, MI http://www.lake-express.com/

My personal preference would be the SS Badger as it's got some nice amenities on board, it's a bit cheaper, and with the departure time, we could probably set up a convenient rendezvous time and maybe do some stuff in the morning prior to boarding the ferry.
http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/index.php

http://www.captainswalkwinery.com/

http://vonstiehl.com/

http://www.theflyingpig.biz/

www.mchistsoc.org

Terry and I are considering a Tuesday crossing and stay over in Ludington on Tuesday night with a leisurely drive and sightseeing down the coast to South Haven on Wednesday, but that said, we're flexible on dates.

In any case, I'm willing to set up a group event if there's enough interest. If we can get a group of 15 or more people, there are group discounts available.

Post up your thoughts and comments.

DOOM
04-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Will this cut down on my drive? Is this a "short cut"?

Haggis
04-24-2012, 08:16 AM

No, it is the 'Scenic Route'.

guspech750
04-24-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm very interested.

And Zack and Becky are interested as well.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

SC Cheesehead
04-24-2012, 08:20 AM

No, it is the 'Scenic Route'.

Yup, you guys will be headed west-northwest from where you are, the ferry trip will be an east-southeast route, but ya'll are welcome to join us! :D

Flynlow
04-24-2012, 08:34 AM
I might be up for the ride. I am not certain yet tho... So I cannot commit to it as of yet...

PonyUP
04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I may be up for this, though I would prefer the ride from Milwaukee, little shorter drive. How close does this land us to South Haven?

Pops
04-24-2012, 09:31 AM
I may be up for this, though I would prefer the ride from Milwaukee, little shorter drive. How close does this land us to South Haven?

One hour and ten minutes!:)

BODYMAN
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
I would be up for this as well!

SC Cheesehead
04-24-2012, 09:50 AM
One hour and ten minutes!:)

Yeah, the Lake Express lands at Muskegon, which is closer. Ludington is about 2 hours north of South Haven.

Either one will work for us as we'll be spending the week before MV in Wisconsin. Prolly head over from the Wausau area, so Manitowoc would be a little closer than Milwaukee.

MyBlackBeasts
04-24-2012, 10:05 PM

If you are coming from east it would be way out of your way. For me (middle IL/WI border), the actual driven miles is about the same as going around bottom of lake, driven time is less missing ChiTown traffic. Benefit is in middle of drive to take ferry is small adventure of something new, scenic and turns the trip into an extra day of vacation. If weather cooperates, I'll be doing it. :D

SC Cheesehead
04-25-2012, 04:16 AM
If you are coming from east it would be way out of your way. For me (middle IL/WI border), the actual driven miles is about the same as going around bottom of lake, driven time is less missing ChiTown traffic. Benefit is in middle of drive to take ferry is small adventure of something new, scenic and turns the trip into an extra day of vacation. If weather cooperates, I'll be doing it. :D

If the weather doesn't cooperate, it WILL be an adventure! :puke:

;) ------> :D

yjmud
04-25-2012, 05:39 AM
for that price I will drive it is not far from me

pem
04-25-2012, 07:27 PM
saw the Titanic in 3D this past week-end....think I'll just drive!

guspech750
04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
saw the Titanic in 3D this past week-end....think I'll just drive!

LOL!! Good one.

Sent from my iPhone

MyBlackBeasts
04-25-2012, 09:58 PM
If the weather doesn't cooperate, it WILL be an adventure! :puke:

;) ------> :D

:rofl: HAHAHAHA!!! True. That's why I said the weather had to be good. If not a nice sunny day, I'll be going by the southern route!

CBT
04-26-2012, 04:13 AM
"Boats and ho's! Boats and ho's!"
I'm in. Joe joe, where we all gathering at?

guspech750
04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
"Boats and ho's! Boats and ho's!"
I'm in. Joe joe, where we all gathering at?

Where else? White Castles!!

Sent from my iPhone

MyBlackBeasts
04-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I've done some research to help me decide what I am going to do. I live by I43 & Hwy 12 in So Cen WI and have 2 options to get to MV10. If the weather is anything other than sunny & nice on 9/11/12 I will be using the southern route 100%. If weather is good I will be doing the ferry to turn the day into a vaca & 1 time new experience. Hope this might help others:

MV X
9/12 to 9/16
South Haven, MI

Summary:
1) Get there ASAP & lowest cost = 100% drive under the lake
2) Turn the trip into vacation also & take SS Badger across lake

1) 206 miles, 4 hr non-stop avg 50mph with Chi traffic = 10 gal gas = $40

2) Leg 1 drive 125 miles, 2 hr pleasant drive = 6 gal gas = $24
Leg 2 drive 122 miles, 2 hr pleasant drive = 6 gal gas = $24
Ferry (4 hr crossing time) cost $74 passenger & $74 for MM = $148
Ferry leaves Manitowoc, WI at 2pm(c) = leisurely drive to arrive
Ferry arrives Ludington, MI at 7pm(e) = arrive at New Haven 9pm 9/11/12
$196.00 expense for 1 time in life experience & break trip up while enjoying:

Sightseeing on decks
Movie room - free
Buffet
Bar
etc.
:beer:

SC Cheesehead
04-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I've done some research to help me decide what I am going to do. I live by I43 & Hwy 12 in So Cen WI and have 2 options to get to MV10. If the weather is anything other than sunny & nice on 9/11/12 I will be using the southern route 100%. If weather is good I will be doing the ferry to turn the day into a vaca & 1 time new experience. Hope this might help others:

MV X
9/12 to 9/16
South Haven, MI

Summary:
1) Get there ASAP & lowest cost = 100% drive under the lake
2) Turn the trip into vacation also & take SS Badger across lake

1) 206 miles, 4 hr non-stop avg 50mph with Chi traffic = 10 gal gas = $40

2) Leg 1 drive 125 miles, 2 hr pleasant drive = 6 gal gas = $24
Leg 2 drive 122 miles, 2 hr pleasant drive = 6 gal gas = $24
Ferry (4 hr crossing time) cost $74 passenger & $74 for MM = $148
Ferry leaves Manitowoc, WI at 2pm(c) = leisurely drive to arrive
Ferry arrives Ludington, MI at 7pm(e) = arrive at New Haven 9pm 9/11/12

$196.00 expense for 1 time in life experience & break trip up while enjoying:

Sightseeing on decks
Movie room - free
Buffet
Bar
etc.
:beer:

That's a good summary! :up:

The ferry is by no means the inexpensive way to go, but it is a realxing and enjoyable trip, and as this may be the last year the SS Badger runs, it could truly be a once in a lifetime experience.

MyBlackBeasts
04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
That's a good summary! :up:

The ferry is by no means the inexpensive way to go, but it is a realxing and enjoyable trip, and as this may be the last year the SS Badger runs, it could truly be a once in a lifetime experience.

Yep. I was thinking of this trip as a new life experience long before the controversy and possibility of the demise of the SS Badger was announced. This is only strengthening my wish to use the ferry.

BUCKWHEAT
04-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Interesting thought. I did the ferry ride once, back in the '50s when I was 12-teen or so. Don't remember the name of the vessel. Took our '54 Olds & we had to find a boarding house room in Michigan. No motels.
Thinking about doing it.

SC Cheesehead
04-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Interesting thought. I did the ferry ride once, back in the '50s when I was 12-teen or so. Don't remember the name of the vessel. Took our '54 Olds & we had to find a boarding house room in Michigan. No motels.
Thinking about doing it.

We took the Badger from Manitowoc over to Ludington on our honeymoon 34 years ago in September, so we're looking forward to this.

We'll prolly stay over Tuesday night at either the Best Western or the Holiday Inn Express, but it looks like there are quite a few places to stay in Ludington.

http://www.visitludington.com/category/lodging

My dad was an Olds guy, he had a '56 when I was a kid; great car.

SC Cheesehead
05-29-2012, 06:30 AM
:bump:

If anyone is interested in doing this as a group, we can get a discount of $20 per person, but we'll need a minimum of 15 people to qualify for this, and all persons will have to be listed under one ticket.

I'm willing to coordinate and purchase the group ticket, but I will need up-front payment for each individual via PayPal so I don't get stuck with any no-shows.

Standard rates:
Vehicle: $74
Passenger: (adults) $74 (seniors 65+) $67

Group Rate:
Vehicle: $74
Passenger: (adults & seniors) $54
Based on minimum of 15 passengers in group traveling on one ticket

Planned Schedule: Tuesday, Sept. 12th
Depart Manitowoc, 2:00 p.m., CT
Arrive Ludington, 7:00 p.m., ET

Let me know if you're interested.
I'm also willing to coordinate rendezvous locations and pre-crossing activities in/around Manitowoc for anyone interested in joining Terry and I, regardless of whether we do a group ticket or not.

Would suggest that we put something together within the next 60 days, as space is relatively limited, and we'll need to reserve spaces prior to date of departure.

See 1st post for more details.

SC Cheesehead
07-04-2012, 08:44 AM

A couple folks have indicated interest, but I don't think we'll get enough folks for a group discount.

Still planning on doing it, though. Let me know if you wanna tag along.

SC Cheesehead
08-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Booked my reservations today for the SS Badger.

http://www.ssbadger.com/schedulefares.aspx

Anybody else interested in making the trip across Lake Michigan on Tuesday, Sept. 11th, let me know, maybe we can hook up and do some stuff around Manitowoc earlier in the day.

SC Cheesehead
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Got these pictures from Pops today. They are of the SS Spartan, a sister ship to the Badger.

The Spartan is currently out of service, but is berthed in Ludington, and she's one of the first sights to arriving passengers entering Ludington's harbor.

There's still time to make reservations for anyone contemplating coming to MV10 "by sea." If you've never taken the ferry across Lake Michigan, this is your chance, and it'll be a voyage to remember for years to come.

DOOM
08-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Sounds like fun Rex! But I don't know if that's on the route I'm taking. I'm just following my navigation to get me there.

SC Cheesehead
08-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Sounds like fun Rex! But I don't know if that's on the route I'm taking. I'm just following my navigation to get me there.

Yeah, unless you take a pretty substantial roundabout route, you won't be able to take the ferry.

You'll be coming in from the east, the ferry will be crossing Lake Michigan from the west.

Pops
08-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Sounds like fun Rex! But I don't know if that's on the route I'm taking. I'm just following my navigation to get me there. This trip would be a little out of your way Jake! It is a cool ride on a piece of history!!!!!:)

DOOM
08-15-2012, 02:11 PM
It is a cool ride on a piece of history!!!!!:)

Well in that case I'll jump on your back when I get there! :lol:

Pops
08-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Well in that case I'll jump on your back when I get there! :lol:

Guess that works as I am a very very cool pice of history!:cool:

OO91
08-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey Guys! I live just outside of Ludington. Just so you know- Lately they have had a lot of wind turbine parts shipped via the Badger. People have had problems booking because these things are taking up a lot of space. The Ludington Daily News did an article a few weeks ago about how Kevin Costner's tour bus was turned away because they didnt have any room for them.

TooManyFords
08-19-2012, 05:15 PM
I am interested in this too. Just so I'm sure, this is the Tuesday trip, correct? And we're doing the SS Badger, correct?

guspech750
08-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't think I'll be able to do this. :(

Sorry Rex. :(

Sent from my iPhone

SC Cheesehead
08-19-2012, 07:36 PM
I am interested in this too. Just so I'm sure, this is the Tuesday trip, correct? And we're doing the SS Badger, correct?

Yup.

I've got reservations made already for Manitowoc to Ludington on the SS Badger for Tuedsay, September 11th.

Would be great if you can make it, John!