PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust mod.

2003 MIB
02-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Okay, I'm ready to take the plunge and modify the exhaust. It will be DR's setup. It is my understanding that the Reinhart kit consists of a set of manifolds, hi-flow cats and an X-pipe. I think I want 18" Magnaflows and the "open" Meg's too. I'm thinking 2.25 pipes throughout. Anyone running this combo? What would you do differently?

MARAUDERCHICK
02-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Okay, I'm ready to take the plunge and modify the exhaust. It will be DR's setup. It is my understanding that the Reinhart kit consists of a set of manifolds, hi-flow cats and an X-pipe. I think I want 18" Magnaflows and the "open" Meg's too. I'm thinking 2.25 pipes throughout. Anyone running this combo? What would you do differently?
My exhaust mod is enroute right now...will be installed Sat 02/14....
Got mine from Dennis also....I am going with the 18" magnaflows....
explain to the what "open" Meg's are.....

Thanks!

Haggis
02-09-2004, 01:08 PM
What I have learned is that Dennis is running 2.5" pipes from manifolds back to the mufflers and then leaves the stock 2.25" pipe from the mufflers to the tips. I am leaning that way myself, just figuring out last minute finances.

2003 MIB
02-09-2004, 01:12 PM
My exhaust mod is enroute right now...will be installed Sat 02/14....
Got mine from Dennis also....I am going with the 18" magnaflows....
explain to the what "open" Meg's are.....

Thanks!

I'll try Ma'am but a better visual is available on the Innovative Interceptors website. The stock exhaust tip is one diameter all the way through. The "open Meg's are sort of hollowed out providing a larger exit hole. There probably isn't much of a performance gain but the "open" Meg's provide a more agressive sound. It's more about ear candy...Was I right in what comes with the DR kit?

2003 MIB
02-09-2004, 01:15 PM
What I have learned is that Dennis is running 2.5" pipes from manifolds back to the mufflers and then leaves the stock 2.25" pipe from the mufflers to the tips. I am leaning that way myself, just figuring out last minute finances.
This is EXACTLY the type of input I was looking for. Thanks Haggis:cool:

Haggis
02-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Your welcome!

MARAUDERCHICK
02-09-2004, 01:24 PM
I'll try Ma'am but a better visual is available on the Innovative Interceptors website. The stock exhaust tip is one diameter all the way through. The "open Meg's are sort of hollowed out providing a larger exit hole. There probably isn't much of a performance gain but the "open" Meg's provide a more agressive sound. It's more about ear candy...Was I right in what comes with the DR kit?
Thanks!! If it provides a more aggressive sound......then I want it!!!:bounce:
As far as the contents of Dennis' kit....you are correct....
Mine will come with the ceramic coated manifolds, hi-flow cats and the x-pipe....and then I have the custom "cat-back" exhaust and the 18" Magnaflows installed (the same day I hope)....the muffler shop is just down the street.....:burnout:

2003 MIB
02-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks!! If it provides a more aggressive sound......then I want it!!!:bounce:
As far as the contents of Dennis' kit....you are correct....
Mine will come with the ceramic coated manifolds, hi-flow cats and the x-pipe....and then I have the custom "cat-back" exhaust and the 18" Magnaflows installed (the same day I hope)....the muffler shop is just down the street.....:burnout:Me too!- From your signature, it would appear that we are walking the same modification path right now...Well except you went swaybar and I went driveshaft. Any timeslips yet?

MARAUDERCHICK
02-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Me too!- From your signature, it would appear that we are walking the same modification path right now...Well except you went swaybar and I went driveshaft. Any timeslips yet?
No, unfortunately I don't have any timeslips..:(
I take it that you have already installed the Reinhart Stage 1 kit?

MARAUDERCHICK
02-09-2004, 02:13 PM
No, unfortunately I don't have any timeslips..:(
I take it that you have already installed the Reinhart Stage 1 kit?
OK DUUUUUH!! on my part......I had my signature feature turned off, so I didn't see that you have indeed already installed Reinhart Stage 1.....

Do ya' ever feel brain dead? Must be from all that extra horsepower:P

Cobra25
02-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I also most likely will go with Reinhart Exhaust also. Did anybody have a idea how much the labor averages to put it in? Also how much HP & Torq will be gained

2003 MIB
02-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Marauderchick- Yes, I made the mods. about 6500 miles ago- no issues and love the car even more. We're running at Hallsville next weekend (21st)- might be good for a road trip West on I-20...It'll be fun...:up:

Cobra 25- There are a lot of threads about Reinhart vs. Kook's and the HP/TQ numbers. Prepare to watch for flames but I've concluded from researching this site to count on a 25 horse increase with about a 30 ft/lb increase. These may be conservative. I'm going with Dennis because everything I've bought from him works, he never tries to sell me extra stuff and I think the prices are fair. I guess I'm a if it ain't broke don't fix it kinda guy.:)

SergntMac
02-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Y'all should check your specs with Dennis, his kit is designed to work with the OEM mufflers, which is necked down to 2" OD.

When I added my Magnaflows, I added in 2.5" OD, and the extension pipe (about 13", from the flange to the mufflers) had to be changed out.

If you know you are going to install new mufflers too, they should be 2/5" OD inlets, and this extension pipe has to get changed for the full performance effect of his exhaust.

The mufflers will come 2.5" OD outlet, but that will mate nicely with the 2.25" OD tailpipes, standard muffler monkey business.

MI2QWK4U
02-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Just to share what I had done with my Marauder after some homework. The most restrictive part of the exhaust is after the cats where it narrows down to 2 inches, perhapes to build torque in a car that needs it badly when stock. I went with a 2 1/4 inch Magnaflow custom X pipe from the cats to the polished 18 inch Magnaflow mufflers. From the mufflers I used the Megs Preproduction Marauder tips w/out baffles. I saw a car with 2 1/2 inch exhaust and it sounded terrible, way to loud for the car, as well as having less torque on the dyno than mine, both being eaton equipped cars. The difference appears to be the exhaust size. My only plans are to put on a set of High Flow Magnaflow Cats, but the system will remain 2 1/4 in piping. If you look in the Picture Gallery, you will find the pictures I posted of my exhaust upgrades. For what its worth, something more to check out before making up your mind. By the way, I spent maybe $250 in parts for the mufflers, custom X pipe, and parts, and I think the Magnaflow Cats are under $200.

Cobra25
02-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I want to say thank you to you guy's for the info. It will help me make up my mine what's best for me. Two question's 1- Are the Magnaflow cats better than the standard high flow cats ? 2- I hear some people talking about Delite Tip's, Is it just for a different sound or is it a performance issue?

MARAUDERCHICK
02-10-2004, 10:13 AM
I want to say thank you to you guy's for the info.
and gals...:P :P :P :P :shake: :depress:
:lol: hee hee hee.....just thought I'd throw a wrench into this thing!!

Cobra25
02-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Marauderchick how did I ever forget about you ! " GUY'S & GAL'S " Thank You ! After All Who is the # 1 Woman on this Site? Answer ? Maraurderchick of course!!!!

MI2QWK4U
02-10-2004, 02:43 PM
I dont know for a fact that the Magnaflows flow more than other high flow cats out there, although according to Magnaflow, they are better than others. I am very pleased with the Magnaflow mufflers, they sound great and with a lifetime warranty, it was an easy choice. And do you mean the delete tips? The Megs preproduction tips that are identical to the ones on the car, but dont have the baffles? If yes, then the only improvment is in sound. The compo of the Magnaflow products, 2 1/4 in exhaust pipes, and the Megs preproduction tips yield a deep throaty rumble, although my blower whining sometimes drowns out the exhaust.

MARAUDERCHICK
02-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Marauderchick how did I ever forget about you ! " GUY'S & GAL'S " Thank You ! After All Who is the # 1 Woman on this Site? Answer ? Maraurderchick of course!!!!
Awwwwww Cobra.....you're makin' me blush:P ;)

I wouldn't say #1 on this site....but maybe in the Southern Marauders!:D

After all, we can't leave Mary, Ladyhawke and the other ladies out of this!
(we are a select few )

Hey, when ya' gonna come up and have breakfast with us????
huh, huh, huh??

scareme
02-10-2004, 06:07 PM
im thinking of getting the exhaust system as well, but had a couple questions. First, are the headers frome dennis no longer available, or are the manifolds just better, and second is it possible to combine these system with flowmasters rather than the magna lows?

TAF
02-10-2004, 06:17 PM
You'll have to call Dennis to see if the shorties are still available. From an N/A application, you will find virtually the same performance from Dennis' manifolds, the shorties or the Kooks long-tubes.

I chose the shorties purely on a personal, aesthetic basis.

MI2QWK4U
02-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Two different people told me that the stock manifolds are just fine, including my exhaust expert that I have known for 20 years! He said the first thing that needed to go was that factory section between the cats and mufflers that necks down to a hair under 2 inches. Second he said to get some high flow mufflers, he has had good results with the Magnaflows. Lastly he said get the high flow cats. The custom Xpipe is fully 2 1/4 inches, not to big to kill the sound and torque.

Cobra25
02-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Awwwwww Cobra.....you're makin' me blush:P ;)

I wouldn't say #1 on this site....but maybe in the Southern Marauders!:D

After all, we can't leave Mary, Ladyhawke and the other ladies out of this!
(we are a select few )

Hey, when ya' gonna come up and have breakfast with us????
huh, huh, huh?? Your a funny one ! OK # 1 of the Southern Marauders .After all I wouldn't want to get in trouble with the other's now would I ? Breakfast in Georgia! Interesting, Maybe one day, after all you never know!

MARAUDERCHICK
02-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Your a funny one ! OK # 1 of the Southern Marauders .After all I wouldn't want to get in trouble with the other's now would I ? Breakfast in Georgia! Interesting, Maybe one day, after all you never know!
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

SergntMac
02-11-2004, 09:42 AM
I have to look at this from another point of view, my personal experience.

Granted, a side by side comparasion of manifolds would lead one to believe that there is no power advantage. However, the Cobra manifolds are part of a system, and should be examined that way. Likewise, I agree as a general principle, that in some cases, one may feel more seat of the pants power from upgrading mufflers over adding an X pipe, but I would suspect that the X pipe was installed wrong. There is a sweet spot for X pipes, miss that target and you'll get nothing in return.

When we're talking about fixed mods producing X results, such as underdrive pullies leading to 10 HP improvement, that's a ball park prediction I am comfortable with. Everyone should see an improvement, maybe only 9 HP on one car, but 11 on another, which could stem from miles on the clock. However, there is only one place to install undies, follow me?

Exhaust mods offer us a lot of variety in components, and how they are installed is an element of their end value. With the X pipe, the added variable is where/how it is installed. The pipe itself may hold 20 HP in bang for the buck potential, but installed in the wrong location, it may not produce any improvement at all over the OEM H pipe. Install an X pipe where there was no cross over at all, and positive results are expected. Again, you won't get everything you paid for if it's not in the right location.

This is why I favored Reinhart's Cobra kit over other options. The '03 Cobra manifolds are polished and ported internally, and flow well enough that Dennis discontinued selling shorty headers. They are ceramic coated, which carries heat away from the engine, and keeps the under hood noise down. The exhaust pipe is pre-assembled, a one piece upgrade with everything in it's proper location. Four O2 sensor bungs are in the OEM locations. The 2.5" OD pipe follows the MM floor pan perfectly as it leads to two 2.5" OD Cobra high flow cats, and into the 2.5"OD Cobra X pipe, all of which is produced by Bassani for Ford. It's all very OEM looking once in place, which is an added value to some warranty concerned and stealth focused owners.

Sidenote...The beauty of this car, is that your stealth factor can get really high. In fact, until you supercharge, it would hard for anyone not hanging here with us, to know if you're bone stock or not. Only we can detect that, with our extensive learning in performance numbers, i.e. no true bone stock MM can run consistent 14.2s We know this, but the average street racer does not. Back to the topic. Likewise, if you run a consistent 13.5, I sspect we'll be able to guess how you got there.

Let us not forget the timeline of invention here, we started with nothing available all, now we have one kit that cures all. Was a time here that if you installed 2.5'" OD pipe front to back all by itself, you could suffer severe power loss. I urged others not to consider that, and I believe I was shown to be correct back then too. Today, with all the other tricks and goodies we have accomplished, I strongly recommend exhaust mods, and selecting the right exhaust for your application.

Reinhart's kit was initially released with extension pipes that mated to the OEM muffler because back then, very few of us were switching out mufflers, or we upgraded with 2.0" OD components because nothing else was available. Now we have learned the value of the Magnaflow 18" mufflers, with 2.5" OD inlet and outlet. Fitment to the Cobra kit is not a problem, change out the extension pipe for 2.5"OD.

I did before and after dynos when Zack and I installed my Cobra exhaust in two hours, and in two steps. First we added the Cobra kit to my OEM mufflers, which produced 28 RWHP and 18 RWTQ. Then I changed the extension pipe and installed the Magnaflow 18s, and added another 4 RWHP. I would credit this 4 HP to the larger OD extension pipe before the Magnaflows, but they do sound sweet.

More important to me than the end numbers has been the change in my power band, where my torque is available to me. My before and after dynos show that there is a remarkable improvement in low end torque, which was my goal. BTW, I also have the "resonator delete" Megs tips, which only add wee bit of volume. There are no "baffles" anywhere in our OEM exhaust system.

Yes, there are better systems out here that produce higher numbers and contribute to lower ETs. But, they also cost more money, and are more difficult to install. They can be installed incorrectly too, which robs you of the power benefit. At times, they can produce side effects such as cabin howl and vibration underfoot, so, for the cost involved, and the problems avoided, this is a most important mod for the average owner, who just wants all the stock power they own to come out from hiding.

I've tried to not make this a commercial for one vendor, but there are several misconceptions stated in this thread as a whole. The only way I could address that was to write about my personal experience, manifold to tip. Your bang for the buck is the Cobra kit with Magnaflows and OEM tailpipes. "Resonator delete" tips is a vanity choice...IMHO.

Got my Nomex zipped, have at it...

Jinfla
02-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Sgt.Mac...I am beginning to installing the Reinhart cobra exhaust kit now and would like to know if Magnaflow #14356 2.5" offset inlet/2.5" center output was or is the setup you went with.
Also how long of a extension pipe is needed in front of the muffler and how was the 2.5 outlet to our oem smaller diameter pipe addressed. One last question in the above post you said that your maniflods came ported and polished internally. Is the inside on your's smoothed out or still rough from casting? The ones I recieved are not polished/smooth on the inside.

Cobra25
02-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Interesting question, I'd like to know this too before I order anything. If they are surpose to be ported and polished internally then I might consider them ,if not why pay the extra money for parts and labor. But the Ceramic coating is a good idea for many reasons. Question's,question's,question 's.

Cobra25
02-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Buy the way Jinfla, Me and Firedab are going to meet on Feb.27 Friday evening in Davie ,around 6:30 pm which is at the Tower Shops Cruise In center in Davie Fl. 595 and University Drive. If you would like to meet ,Maybe if we form our own group ,we can get some discounts from some of the venders if we can get enough people to join. From their we are going to Lefty's Dinner .

darebren
02-11-2004, 02:52 PM
For those of us who think a little at a time,

Can we buy just the high flow cats from Dennis or directly from a manufacturer?

Part numbers anyone for new cats? would they just be 2.25 ID/OD or something else?

I have not looked, but are the OEM cats welded in place, so we would need to cut them out, and then could the high flow cats be clamped into the same place using a little extra straight pipe and clamps we could get from a Pep Boys type store?

Jinfla
02-11-2004, 05:22 PM
I was out at the Tower Shops two weeks ago as someone from this board said that the highway patrol marauders were going to be there but they were a no show. There were not any marauders to be found that night. I will definitely keep the 27th in mind.

Buy the way Jinfla, Me and Firedab are going to meet on Feb.27 Friday evening in Davie ,around 6:30 pm which is at the Tower Shops Cruise In center in Davie Fl. 595 and University Drive. If you would like to meet ,Maybe if we form our own group ,we can get some discounts from some of the venders if we can get enough people to join. From their we are going to Lefty's Dinner .

paheff
02-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Interesting question, I'd like to know this too before I order anything. If they are surpose to be ported and polished internally then I might consider them ,if not why pay the extra money for parts and labor. But the Ceramic coating is a good idea for many reasons. Question's,question's,question 's.

Spoke to Dennis today on this exact subject. Yes they are port matched and polished. I spent some time today checking out the different exhaust mod options and learned a lot of what SergntMac so eloquently posted. All things considered Dennis' system is the best bang for my buck. :up:

Jinfla
02-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Spoke to Dennis today on this exact subject. Yes they are port matched and polished. I spent some time today checking out the different exhaust mod options and learned a lot of what SergntMac so eloquently posted. All things considered Dennis' system is the best bang for my buck. :up:
What exactly is polished outside or inside?? as the ceramic coated manifolds I recieved are as rough internally as the inside of the oem ones

paheff
02-11-2004, 06:11 PM
As embarassing as it may be, now that you ask, I don't know. I just assumed we were talking about inside. I don't see much point otherwise. Guess I'll have to call again,unless you want to take this one Dennis.

Cobra25
02-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Spoke to Dennis today on this exact subject. Yes they are port matched and polished. I spent some time today checking out the different exhaust mod options and learned a lot of what SergntMac so eloquently posted. All things considered Dennis' system is the best bang for my buck. :up: Please correct me if I'm wrong,but ported out means their are larger than the existing ones, port matched means they match the existing one's. AS I understand it it's 2 different thing's.Now as far as Dennis Reinhart his part's and kit's are of good or high quality and he's a straight up guy , maybe we just need a clarifaction on port matched and ported out. A easy way is to find out the size of the intake port on the stock & the size of the port on the cobra system.

jgc61sr2002
02-11-2004, 06:53 PM
I saw the Sarges exhaust set up at Hershey. Even without the horsepower gain they look great. :up:

Jinfla
02-11-2004, 07:30 PM
The ceramic coated manifolds I recieved do look nice and they are definitely port matched but nothing has been done to the inside as far as smoothing out/polishing the internal casting.

Please correct me if I'm wrong,but ported out means their are larger than the existing ones, port matched means they match the existing one's. AS I understand it it's 2 different thing's.Now as far as Dennis Reinhart his part's and kit's are of good or high quality and he's a straight up guy , maybe we just need a clarifaction on port matched and ported out. A easy way is to find out the size of the intake port on the stock & the size of the port on the cobra system.

Mattsmerc
02-14-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm sorry if I'm a pain. Has anyone went with DR exaust and 40 series flowmasters? And if so do you have delete tips?

lgetz
02-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Mermar, don't own a MM but have plenty of experience with different exhausts. Take my word for it the Flowmasters resonate alot inside the cab compared to Magnaflows. Not saying they sound bad but the drone can get to some.:(

studio460
02-21-2004, 03:20 AM
FWIW . . .

I have the Flowmaster 40 Deltaflows + delete tips on my otherwise stock N/A Marauder exhaust, and I must say that I REALLY like the loudness/rumble both outside AND inside the cabin. And they're surprisingly quiet at 2,000 RPM at normal freeway cruising speeds. I'm actually now looking to make more noise. At first, I had tried the 14" Magnaflows, but they were too quiet for me, and only barely audible at idle; HOWEVER, I did seem to notice a power increase from the Magnaflows that I did NOT notice at all with the Flowmasters. Surprising, since I didn't expect any power increase from changing mufflers alone--perhaps the perceived increase was only in my head, but the car did seem to break traction easier with the Magnaflows. Anyway, Flowmaster has some "SLP" style bullet resonators that I'm dying to try. At least to me, LOUDER = GOODER, as long as there is a maximum amount of car-alarm-tripping, low-frequency rumble accompanying the roar.

Mattsmerc
02-21-2004, 06:12 AM
I like the way you think NBC Shooter. As do I hope to trip car alarms, rattle the dishes inside the house, and tick off the neighborhood when I leave in the wee hours of the morning :up: :up: :rock:

scareme
02-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Shooter, just curious as I am looking to make more noise as well. Are you talking about the Hush Power II from flow master or something else? I'm soon going to be ordering either headers or the manifolds, but would rather stay away from the magnaflows since i have the 40 Flows and am happy but would like more noise. To me noise may not mean power but it sure feels that way!

studio460
02-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks, mermar2003. Scareme, yes! I just got my new JEG'S catalog in the mail and saw those new Flowmaster Hushpower II mufflers listed which look similar to the SLP resonators. Someone else here has the SLP bullet resonators and raved about the beefy, big-block '60s muscle car sound it produced, so I think the Hushpowers might be just what I was looking for (SLP no longer sells the bullet mufflers individually). By the way, the Magnaflows sounded very nice (nice low frequency--great tonal qualities), just too quiet, and nearly the same as stock at idle. The 14" Magnaflows MAY be the ticket with a full header set-up. Still haven't decided on my header set-up yet. I'm also very interested in installing the wide-band 02 sensor set-up at the same time I install new high-flow cats. I thought everyone agreed on the 2.5" pipe all the way back, but I see that's apparently not the case?

FordNut
02-21-2004, 02:55 PM
We had our monthly breakfast meet in ATL this morning. Since last month's meeting, several of us have installed exhaust mods. Although loud pipes was not my objective when I installed my system, it was undoubtedly the loudest system there. Now what can I do to quieten it down a little? Maybe some soundproofing? Let everybody else hear it but insulate the cockpit a little?

I believe these 4 had the most modified exhaust systems and cover most of the options available to the MM.

Mine: Kook's headers, 2-1/2" Magnaflow cats, Bassani 2-1/2" "splayed" (wide inlet/outlet configuration) x-pipe, 2-1/2" Edelbrock Performer RPM mufflers, stock 2-1/4" tailpipes, stock tips.

Barry's: Kook's headers and 2-1/2" system, including cats, "Dr. Gas style" x-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers (not sure which type), stock tailpipes and tips.

Todd's: Reinhart Cobra shorty headers and 2-1/2" system, including cats, "Magnaflow style" x-pipe (similar to Bassani narrow type), Magnaflow 18" flow-thru mufflers, stock tailpipes and tips.

Kathy's (or is that supposed to be with a "C"?): Reinhart Cobra manifolds and 2-1/2" system, including cats, "Magnaflow style" x-pipe, Magnaflow 18" flow-thru mufflers, stock tailpipes and tips.

I don't believe any Flowmasters were there. Most of us want stainless exhaust components so Flowmasters weren't even a serious consideration.

MARAUDERCHICK
02-21-2004, 03:05 PM
We had our monthly breakfast meet in ATL this morning. Since last month's meeting, several of us have installed exhaust mods. Although loud pipes was not my objective when I installed my system, it was undoubtedly the loudest system there. Now what can I do to quieten it down a little? Maybe some soundproofing? Let everybody else hear it but insulate the cockpit a little?

I believe these 4 had the most modified exhaust systems and cover most of the options available to the MM.

Mine: Kook's headers, 2-1/2" Magnaflow cats, Bassani 2-1/2" "splayed" (wide inlet/outlet configuration) x-pipe, 2-1/2" Edelbrock Performer RPM mufflers, stock 2-1/4" tailpipes, stock tips.

Barry's: Kook's headers and 2-1/2" system, including cats, "Dr. Gas style" x-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers (not sure which type), stock tailpipes and tips.

Todd's: Reinhart Cobra shorty headers and 2-1/2" system, including cats, "Magnaflow style" x-pipe (similar to Bassani narrow type), Magnaflow mufflers (not sure which type), stock tailpipes, baffle delete tips.

Kathy's (or is that supposed to be with a "C"?): Reinhart Cobra manifolds and 2-1/2" system, including cats, "Magnaflow style" x-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers (not sure which type), stock tailpipes and tips.

I don't believe any Flowmasters were there. Most of us want stainless exhaust components so Flowmasters weren't even a serious consideration.
Hey Brian!! You got it right....it's Kathy with a "K"!!;)
And yes, you definately had the LOUDEST exhaust system of everyone there this morning!!
I have the 18" Stainless Steel Magnaflow "Wide Open" mufflers
(no baffles)....

greyghost
02-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Hey Brian!! You got it right....it's Kathy with a "K"!!;)
And yes, you definately had the LOUDEST exhaust system of everyone there this morning!!
I have the 18" Stainless Steel Magnaflow "Wide Open" mufflers
(no baffles)....
What a great morning. I want to thank Todd and Brian for letting me drive their cars as a comparison. They were both great rides and I am humble that they let me take their pride and joys.

Kathy, your Marauder gets more Bad every day. I can hardly keep up with what you have done with it. The Special Sweat shirt was really a nice touch. Can you tell me where you had it made?

Cobra25
02-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Well since we are talking of Exhaust's, I ordered the Reinhart system, Does any body know of a set of mufflers that give the deep sound and rumble of the 60's big blocks? I was thinking of the Dyno Max Ultra Flow SS mufflers. Not sure yet.

TAF
02-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Todd's: Reinhart Cobra shorty headers and 2-1/2" system, including cats, "Magnaflow style" x-pipe (similar to Bassani narrow type), Magnaflow mufflers (not sure which type), stock tailpipes, baffle delete tips.
18" Stainless Magnaflows, Stock OEM Meg tips.

Brian is right...his is certainly the loudest of the group. All sounded similarly aggressive. And...IMHO...much better than the stockers...which I find to have a little bit of a "high-pitched whine" now that I've driven several with exhaust mods.

MARAUDERCHICK
02-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Kathy, your Marauder gets more Bad every day. I can hardly keep up with what you have done with it. The Special Sweat shirt was really a nice touch. Can you tell me where you had it made?
Hey there Barry!!

Today was great....sorry I didn't get to go to the swap meet today with you guys.....BTW I made the sweatshirt myself!!
(Not only does she drive a HotRod....she kinda crafty too!!:D )

~Kathy

greyghost
02-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Hey there Barry!!

Today was great....sorry I didn't get to go to the swap meet today with you guys.....BTW I made the sweatshirt myself!!
(Not only does she drive a HotRod....she kinda crafty too!!:D )

~Kathy
Wow, it looks totally professional. Great Job!

scareme
02-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Fordnut, when you say 2 1/2 mufflers to the 2 1/4 pipes, as far as the mufflers go are they 2 1/2 inlet and outlet or are the inlet and out let different. Also the rpm mufflers can you give a comparison to the exhaust sound as far as other cars. Ex. Mustang, Slp firebird etc... in other words
1 - 10 scale 10 being the loudest on the street. i know its all opinion just want an idea. Thanks, i want to be heard by everyone everywhere! :coolman:

FordNut
02-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Fordnut, when you say 2 1/2 mufflers to the 2 1/4 pipes, as far as the mufflers go are they 2 1/2 inlet and outlet or are the inlet and out let different. Also the rpm mufflers can you give a comparison to the exhaust sound as far as other cars. Ex. Mustang, Slp firebird etc... in other words
1 - 10 scale 10 being the loudest on the street. i know its all opinion just want an idea. Thanks, i want to be heard by everyone everywhere! :coolman:

The mufflers are 2 1/2 inlet and outlet. The 2 1/4 tailpipes will fit inside the muffler outlets just fine, and have to be welded anyway so any gaps can be taken care of then.

Hard for me to make the SPL (sound pressure level) measurements by ear. It doesn't rattle the windows in my house like some of the cars that pass by if that's what you mean.

BUCKWHEAT
02-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Today I installed the DR coated manifolds with the X pipe and hi-flo cats. I have the 3 chamber Flowmaster 50's. As soon as I can get the leaks out & the pipes welded, I can tell whether it is louder. Has anyone had trouble cooking the starter wires? They sure are tight to the manifold outlet.

SergntMac
02-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Has anyone had trouble cooking the starter wires? They sure are tight to the manifold outlet.
Nope. Nothing I've detected, not here anyway. If you're worried that this could happen, there are several options for you to consider with wire wrap and insulation.

BTW...All this discussion about what's loud and what's not. I don't get this, someone help me?

Can anyone hear how hard I'm banging on this here keyboard right now? Can anyone appreciate how softly I'm caresing my keys? I didn't think so.

Exactly how do we translate this impression online? What words can we type to explain our muffler-audio pain threshold? How do I listen to an MM at idle, think I hear a cool sound, and run back here and explain to y'all in a way that y'all think it's a cool sound too? We do not. I cannot. But, I've been LMAO for a while now, reading how everyone keeps trying.

Back to reality...If I really wanted really loud exhaust, I'd remove everything muffler and resonator related, and try adding 3.0" OD chambered pipe, technically a muffler, sort of. If that wasn't loud enough, I'd shoot for nothing at all. Just 2.5" OD open pipe all the way back. Now...If this isn't loud enough...

Everything less that this, is not loud.

FordNut
02-23-2004, 06:19 AM
Exactly how do we translate this impression online? What words can we type to explain our muffler-audio pain threshold? How do I listen to an MM at idle, think I hear a cool sound, and run back here and explain to y'all in a way that y'all think it's a cool sound too? We do not. I cannot. But, I've been LMAO for a while now, reading how everyone keeps trying.

Back to reality...If I really wanted really loud exhaust, I'd remove everything muffler and resonator related, and try adding 3.0" OD chambered pipe, technically a muffler, sort of. If that wasn't loud enough, I'd shoot for nothing at all. Just 2.5" OD open pipe all the way back. Now...If this isn't loud enough...

Thanks, Mac.

And if that isn't loud enough, somebody here has the dumps right after the collectors. Open those up and that's gotta be loud! How loud? About as loud as a.....

MARAUDERCHICK
02-23-2004, 07:40 AM
Well since we are talking of Exhaust's, I ordered the Reinhart system, Does any body know of a set of mufflers that give the deep sound and rumble of the 60's big blocks? I was thinking of the Dyno Max Ultra Flow SS mufflers. Not sure yet.
Hey Cobra!

Have you come to any conclusions yet??:confused:

Just curious...
Kathy

TooManyFords
02-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Mac.

And if that isn't loud enough, somebody here has the dumps right after the collectors. Open those up and that's gotta be loud! How loud? About as loud as a.....
Yep. I can vary my sound from mild to WILD in 5 seconds! Electric cutouts rule! Is it loud? Guess it depends on the speaker on your PC. [grin!]

john

BillyGman
02-24-2004, 05:52 AM
Does any body know of a set of mufflers that give the deep sound and rumble of the 60's big blocks?

the sound of a big block??? :P :P :baaa: :baaa: :nono:

studio460
03-17-2004, 09:53 PM
CORRECTION:

I just got my new JEG'S catalog in the mail and saw those new Flowmaster Hushpower II mufflers listed which look similar to the SLP resonators. Someone else here has the SLP bullet resonators and raved about the beefy, big-block '60s muscle car sound it produced, so I think the Hushpowers might be just what I was looking for (SLP no longer sells the bullet mufflers individually).

I called Flowmaster today and they told me that the Hushpower IIs are NOT louder than the regular 40-Series Flowmaster "Original Flows" (NOT the Deltaflows)--the "Original Flows" are the loudest muffler they make, and are louder than the "Deltaflows" (but don't come in stainless steel). The Hushpowers have this jet-like baffle inside and are definitely quieter than the regular Flowmasters.

So now, I'm getting ready to replace my 40-Series Deltaflows and Megs delete tips with the Flowmaster 40-Series "Original Flows" and add the tips from SLP (which are a bit on the short side).

ARP1500
04-06-2004, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=2003 MIB]Me too!- From your signature, it would appear that we are walking the same modification path right now...Well except you went swaybar and I went dri i just order flowmaster super 40s what do u guys think,and is the megs delete worth the 150 dollars

Mattsmerc
04-08-2004, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=2003 MIB]Me too!- From your signature, it would appear that we are walking the same modification path right now...Well except you went swaybar and I went dri i just order flowmaster super 40s what do u guys think,and is the megs delete worth the 150 dollars
i'd say yes they are worth the 150. they look just like the originals and sound great too with the regular 40 series flowmasters. what i did was had my muffler shop complete the transition from my DR exaust to 2 1/2 all the way to the mufflers and after the mufflers i left stock 2 1/4(told it was for the better) and replaced the stock tips with the delete tips. if you want LOUD this is it. :up: