PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust mod input needed

paheff
02-10-2004, 07:50 PM
While investigating options for the exhaust on my MM, I came across a couple of ideas and would like pro/con input.

First, I found Dennis' "Cobra manifolds" now another shop is suggesting "Mach 1 headers". Does the Mach-1 indeed have headers, and if so, any idea how they compare to the other options, ie Dennis' manifolds, Kooks etc.?

Next, aside from the environmental/legal issues, what are the pros & cons of intalling an "off road pipe" with a built in X pipe and bungs for all 4 O2 sensors, but no cats? I understand it's common practice for the Mustang guys and it's less expensive and nets better HP. Would the missing cats pose a problem with the O2 sensors or the computer?

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Mach 1 "headers" (if they are headers) with the off-road pipe and Magnaflows.

Any input, pro or con will be appreciated.

Paul

FordNut
02-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Doubtful that Mach 1 headers will fit. They could possibly be the same as Cobra headers however, and that's what Dennis' shorty headers are (or were, not sure if he still sells them). In that case, they will fit with some mods as Dennis' kit accomplished. Shims under the motor mount, adapter pipe for the EGR tube, etc.

I like my Kooks. I like my Edelbrock mufflers. I like my Magnaflow cats and Bassani x-pipe. If I had it to do over again I would go with the Kooks headers, Edelbrock mufflers, and Kooks mid-pipe (cats, x-pipe, etc.) instead of my custom job, primarily due to cost considerations.

I would advise against an off-road pipe.

Glenn
02-10-2004, 09:07 PM
It so much depends on personal likes and desires. Many people like the louder mufflers and more HP. I have had a great many loud cars, but not this one. I am keeping the appearance and sound stock, but not the performance. I will go for the DR approach of the "Cobra" high flow E/M and the much improved "X" pipe connecting to the stock mufflers. It should be worth 15 HP or more. Not close to the Kook's headers E/S, but not nearly as loud or expensive. It is all personal opinion and likes. This set-up fits me well, but others prefer the headers and hi-flow mufflers.

Glenn

Cobra25
02-11-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm kinda leaning the same way as you. I like the quite but I want some more performance. Still thinking on it though.

paheff
02-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm kinda leaning the same way as you. I like the quite but I want some more performance. Still thinking on it though.

I spoke with several people today about the different options, including a man that is regarded as a Ford guru. I spoke with Dennis twice, and after weighing everything out, I believe I will go with Dennis' setup.

The off-road pipe, while boosting HP would actually lower torque. The timing curve could be adjusted to regain most, if not all of the loss, but at best it would be a wash on the torque numbers. :depress:

Dennis' whole system has been proven to yield higher torque and HP numbers, due to being port-matched to the heads, and with a dyno tune, I feel that this is the best over-all choice for me. :up:

As for the sound, Dennis car sounds GOOD with his system and stock from the mufflers back. Until I get a chance to hear for myself the way aftermarket mufflers of several brands and models sound, I'll stay stock, which btw is known to flow well. I do however plan to change to a slightly more aggressive tone. :eek:

Paul

Shankin
02-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Get some long tubes,Dr. gas x Pipe and some magnaflow mufflers it will sound sweet. I wouldnt waist my money on manifolds.

TAF
02-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Hey Shankin...I've got some gaskets I bought from Marty you can use on those long-tubes...:lol::lol::lol:

lgetz
02-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Have to agree with others opinion that an off-road pipe is not a good idea. A friend had a 97 Tahoe 4wd same as mine and we had aftermarket exhaust put on at roughly the same time. He went with Flowmaster w/out cats I did Magnaflows w/ cats. His truck always ran rich and it idled a bit rough. Another result was that his truck was really loud:help: Not to mention that it is illegal to remove or gut the cats on a street driven vehicle.

Warpath
02-13-2004, 07:34 PM
I have an off road X pipe and don't regret it. As stated above, the off road pipe will be louder vs. a catted one. However, I've read and heard that there is not much benefit of an off road pipe unless you have a power adder. Otherwise, there is little gained from an off road pipe vs. a high flow cat pipe such as Bassani. Also, I have heard a lot of Mustang guys complain that an off road pipe sounds terrible with flowmasters. They sound better with a flow through muffler like borla.

BillyGman
02-14-2004, 02:52 AM
I agree w/what Glenn said. It depends what you want. Some guys want a compromise between the most HP gain, and a quiet sound, while others want the most HP gain, and like a louder ride as long as it sounds like smooth performance rather than a piece of junk that's ready for the scrap yard. Like Fordnut, I have installed the Kooks headers, however I went w/the entire Kook's bolt-on exhaust system also. And I too do NOT regret it. I was a bit concerned that my Marauder would sound too loud and would be annoying, but it sounds great, and I get so many compliments about how it sounds that I know that I'm not the only one who thinks it sounds great. And the best thing is that this Kook's exhaust system reduced my ET's at the track by .6 seconds!!!

Marauderjack
02-14-2004, 04:49 AM
Does anyone make a "High Flow" cat and "X-Pipe that bolts up to stock manifolds and mufflers?? :help:

I like the idea of better flow and slightly louder exhaust note but do not want to "BUTCHER UP " the stock system and appearance :baaa:

Marauderjack :D

FordNut
02-14-2004, 06:13 AM
Does anyone make a "High Flow" cat and "X-Pipe that bolts up to stock manifolds and mufflers?? :help:

No. See my first reply to this thread.