PDA

View Full Version : Local tracks for 1/4 times

GarageMahal
02-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Anyone know of any good drag strips near the Twin Cities? I think we should plan an outing to one sometime this spring.

jta

HookedOnCV
02-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Anyone know of any good drag strips near the Twin Cities? I think we should plan an outing to one sometime this spring.

jta
Options #1: Rock Falls raceway near Eau Claire, Wi - 2 hours drive, $80 for test & tune day

Option #2: Brainard Intl Raceway - (Up Nort!) 4 hours drive, not sure how much $$$ and when test & tunes are available.

Option #3: Iowa? 4-5 drive hours down I35 and off in the boonies somewhere.

Option#4: Thunder Valley Raceway, Sioux Falls, SD - 4-5 hours drive, $25 for test & tune. This is one of the places I'm headed this spring. My dad owns a automotive service station in SW Minnesota where I am going to get my BFG drag radials mounted and then off to the races about 1 1/2 hours away.

I made it to Rock Falls last year for my first and only time drag racing, and it is a blast. We will definitely have to plan a date before it gets too warm and have a bunch of us head down there. I can't wait to see what Marauderer's Trilogy s/c car will do on the track. I'm sure he will be able to kick my butt, but I'll have fun trying. ;)

Todd

Billatpro
02-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Options #1: Rock Falls raceway near Eau Claire, Wi - 2 hours drive, $80 for test & tune day

Option #2: Brainard Intl Raceway - (Up Nort!) 4 hours drive, not sure how much $$$ and when test & tunes are available.

Option #3: Iowa? 4-5 drive hours down I35 and off in the boonies somewhere.

Option#4: Thunder Valley Raceway, Sioux Falls, SD - 4-5 hours drive, $25 for test & tune. This is one of the places I'm headed this spring. My dad owns a automotive service station in SW Minnesota where I am going to get my BFG drag radials mounted and then off to the races about 1 1/2 hours away.

I made it to Rock Falls last year for my first and only time drag racing, and it is a blast. We will definitely have to plan a date before it gets too warm and have a bunch of us head down there. I can't wait to see what Marauderer's Trilogy s/c car will do on the track. I'm sure he will be able to kick my butt, but I'll have fun trying. ;)

Todd

Lets try to put this together, I'm up for any of the tracks listed, this could be fun!

TooManyFords
02-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Lets try to put this together, I'm up for any of the tracks listed, this could be fun!
Cedar Falls Raceway is a 1/4 mile track and only 3 hours away. You guys can stay at my place on the weekends. :)

As soon as the track opens this Spring, I'll be out there with mine.

Cheers!

HookedOnCV
02-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Cedar Falls Raceway is a 1/4 mile track and only 3 hours away. You guys can stay at my place on the weekends. :)

As soon as the track opens this Spring, I'll be out there with mine.

Cheers!
I didn't mean to say that you were in the boonies, but I knew there was a 1/4 mile track in Iowa somewhere fairly close to the Twin Cities. I couldn't remember the location, but I had been to their web site. Cedar falls...how far east/west off of I35 is it?

Do you suppose that you can find out prices for test and tune, and a schedule for us here in the twin cities? :banana2:

Todd

TooManyFords
02-16-2004, 06:42 AM
I didn't mean to say that you were in the boonies, but I knew there was a 1/4 mile track in Iowa somewhere fairly close to the Twin Cities. I couldn't remember the location, but I had been to their web site. Cedar falls...how far east/west off of I35 is it?

Do you suppose that you can find out prices for test and tune, and a schedule for us here in the twin cities? :banana2:

Todd
Cedar Falls is all Interstate[35] and Interstate Grade roads via the Avenue of the Saints [Hwy 27] right to Cedar Falls and it's all 65 MPH. CF is East of 35 about 70 miles. The map below is what Streets and Trips shows, but highway 27 is the best route and not part of their system yet.

The track opens in May and as soon as I have times, dates and costs, I'll be posting them here.

Cheers!

john

http://john.frieltek.com/images/mplstocf.jpg

duhtroll
02-16-2004, 07:04 AM
I'll be checking this out as well as it is about 7 minutes from my house. Let's get Wheeler in on this too and make a "mini-meet." :)

-A

GarageMahal
02-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Cedar Falls is all Interstate[35] and Interstate Grade roads via the Avenue of the Saints [Hwy 27] right to Cedar Falls and it's all 65 MPH. CF is East of 35 about 70 miles. The map below is what Streets and Trips shows, but highway 27 is the best route and not part of their system yet.

The track opens in May and as soon as I have times, dates and costs, I'll be posting them here.

Great info. Thanks for the leg work.

jta

Strider74
03-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Hey guys, myself I go to Rock Falls Raceway in Wi. I plan to be there for their test day 4/3/04 and on the first "fun day" on 4/11/04. Fun days are on $35 but they tend to get pretty busy later in the summer so I really try to hit the first one. The test day is pricy but usually a great day as it dosn't get very busy and you can practicly run all day. :coolman:
The only requirements at Rock Falls is a good helmet and long pants. That is until your car runs under the 12 second mark anyway.

HookedOnCV
03-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Hey guys, myself I go to Rock Falls Raceway in Wi. I plan to be there for their test day 4/3/04 and on the first "fun day" on 4/11/04. Fun days are on $35 but they tend to get pretty busy later in the summer so I really try to hit the first one. The test day is pricy but usually a great day as it dosn't get very busy and you can practicly run all day. :coolman:
The only requirements at Rock Falls is a good helmet and long pants. That is until your car runs under the 12 second mark anyway.
The schedule posted on their website lists the fun day racing for 4/10? Is it both Sat. (the 10th) and Sun. (the 11th)? I think it would be great to get out there either of those days although Saturday would be better for me.

This is only 5 weeks away. We should start planning a drive down there together from the Twin Cities. Who out there could make it either day? Do you have a preference of one particular day?

I would like to get out there before the weather warms up too much!

Todd

Strider74
03-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Yeah it should be the 10th, either I misread it or they changed it from Sunday. Either way it would be a blast to get together here in the cities and cruise out there. I guess i'll have to get the snow tires off sometime soon then, I can't wait for summer. :pimp:

Marauderer
03-10-2004, 06:49 PM
If so, I'm game. I'm just finishing up my planned mods and tuning. With the exception of Drag Radials, I should be all ready by the 10th!

Strider74
03-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I know I'm going so I guess its up to us then. What say we meet at the Champ's parking lot in Woodbury (it's just off 94 on Radio Drive) in the morning the cruise on over to the raceway. That's my 10 cents, any opinions? :D

TooManyFords
03-11-2004, 06:40 AM
I know I'm going so I guess its up to us then. What say we meet at the Champ's parking lot in Woodbury (it's just off 94 on Radio Drive) in the morning the cruise on over to the raceway. That's my 10 cents, any opinions? :D
What time are you planning to meet? I'm doing the streets & trips planner to see when I'd have to leave. Or, go up and stay the night! Yea, that's the ticket! No guaranteees, but I think I can make it!

John

Marauderer
03-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Well, I'm an early bird. I would just assume leave in time to get there as soon as they open. Maybe we could meet for a quick breakfast, then take off to do so? Anywhere that is headed in that direction is fine with me!

GarageMahal
03-11-2004, 08:37 AM
I just added a link to this thread to the calendar page here. I think I should be able to make it too.

jta

Strider74
03-11-2004, 09:53 AM
They open at 8:00am, though from experience most people don't show up before 10:00. I also like being early so lets meet at the Champs parking lot at 7:00 am talk shop, decide if we need something to eat then or on the way and take off. We should hit rock falls by about 8:30 or so.

HookedOnCV
03-11-2004, 12:28 PM
They open at 8:00am, though from experience most people don't show up before 10:00. I also like being early so lets meet at the Champs parking lot at 7:00 am talk shop, decide if we need something to eat then or on the way and take off. We should hit rock falls by about 8:30 or so.
When I went there last August, we planned on meeting at the Perkins in Hudson, WI for a quick bite to eat, leaving at 8:00 from there, then getting to Rock Falls around 9:15 or so.

It takes a bit to get through tech inspection before anybody starts racing anyway. I would think that would be early enough.

Let's go with Strider74's plan of meeting in Woodbury (how convenient for him?) at 7:00 AM. :coolman:

Todd

Strider74
03-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Hey who am I to argue, :cool4: actually I just suggested it since it's one of the easiest places to find off of 94 that will be sure to have a clear parking lot at that time. And I figured that most of us will be taking 94 to get there anyway. The Perkins idea is fine too but I'll admit I get a little to amped up on race day to eat, but I'm flexible for whatever.

For those who don't live around Woodbury you just follow 94 past the 494/694 loop and take the next exit for Radio drive follow that for about 1 block and Champs is clearly visable on the right side.

For the moment then I'll plan on meeting there at 7:00am on the 10th, unless popular opinion changes. :D

HookedOnCV
03-17-2004, 08:36 PM
When I went there last August, we planned on meeting at the Perkins in Hudson, WI for a quick bite to eat, leaving at 8:00 from there, then getting to Rock Falls around 9:15 or so.

It takes a bit to get through tech inspection before anybody starts racing anyway. I would think that would be early enough.

Let's go with Strider74's plan of meeting in Woodbury (how convenient for him?) at 7:00 AM. :coolman:

Todd
OK, so I go check the calender to make sure my wife has no other social activities planned for that day, and low and behold I see that April 10th is part of Easter weekend. :( I'm not sure if our family is going to be traveling to see my folks that weekend, but that was our tentative plan. Anyone else have this kind of conflict? Unfortunately it doesn't look good for me...:bigcry:

Todd

TooManyFords
03-24-2004, 07:48 AM
APRIL

April 17 Opening Day Test and Tune/Gamblers/Gates at Noon/ Run 1pm to 5pm

April 18 Test and Tune/Gamblers/Gates @ 10am/ Run 11am-3pm

April 24 Test and Tune/Gamblers/Gates at Noon/ Run 1pm to 5pm

April 25 Test and Tune/Gamblers/Gates @ 10am/ Run 11am-3pm

For those of you who want to join me here in Cedar Falls, IA, I'll be at the track on these days.

Cheers!

John

HookedOnCV
04-01-2004, 10:24 PM
OK, so I go check the calender to make sure my wife has no other social activities planned for that day, and low and behold I see that April 10th is part of Easter weekend. :( I'm not sure if our family is going to be traveling to see my folks that weekend, but that was our tentative plan. Anyone else have this kind of conflict? Unfortunately it doesn't look good for me...:bigcry:

Todd
OK, I'll be there! Looking forward to it!!! There is also some interest from 3-4 Crown Vic owners that I stirred up from CrownVic.net

Hopefully we'll have a good turn out!

Todd

nick_danger
04-04-2004, 07:28 AM
I don't have a MM yet... could I come with my LT1 Caprice "SS"?

Marauderer
04-04-2004, 08:07 AM
I don't have a MM yet... could I come with my LT1 Caprice "SS"?

That sounds great, we don't discriminate! In fact, we have a guy coming along, with believe it or not, an 11 second Fiero!!!!!!!!! I had to make him promise not to talk smack :)

Guess, i'll have to tell him that it is back on. I thought it was going to get axed with it being Easter!

Strider74
04-04-2004, 08:07 PM
I'll still be there, though I have no idea when I'll get my baby cleaned up to look presentable. I'm looking forward to it.

GarageMahal
04-05-2004, 10:27 AM
I'll still be there, though I have no idea when I'll get my baby cleaned up to look presentable. I'm looking forward to it.

Well I got mine all cleanup up this weekend but I don't think I can make it after all :(

Have fun for me!

jta