PDA

View Full Version : Wanted To Buy Still Searching

Traffic22
06-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum here. I have been looking for a Marauder for a couple of months now, and am becoming a bit frustrated. So far my experience in Northern California (SF Bay Area) is that everyone with a beat to crap daily driver thinks their car is worth show car money.

I have looked at 4 so far.
#1) Obvious repaired rear end damage, with a wonky aftermarket stereo install that caused the headlights to dim. (Wanted 15k)

#2) Worn out paint, dirty smelly transmission fluid, aftermarket stereo with broken faceplate, and missing window switches in the rear. (Wanted 16k)

#3) Car on a dealer lot. Didn't take the time to prep the car. Filthy engine compartment. Suspect fluids, and worn out interior. (Wanted 15.5k)

#4) 112,000 miles, listed as "accident free," inspection of vehicle showed repaired r/r taillight from where wife backed into a pole. (Presumably on purpose since the vehicle was, "accident free." Could not explain uneven gap between bumper and headlights. (Proper spacing on passenger side, between 1-2 1/2" on driver side, and obvious really poor repaint of front bumper.) Wanted 10k.

So here is the deal. Don't care if it is an 03 or 04. Don't particularly care about the color. Just looking for a well cared for, stock (or mostly cause CA smog laws are very restrictive) with preferably 75K miles or less. (Although I am open to higher if the price/car is right.)

I would certainly prefer a car that is local, but I would be willing to work with someone from out of the area if the car/price were right. (You would need to make it available to an inspection service, which clearly I would pay for.)

I may seem like a bit of a nitpicker, but I am looking for a car I can own long term. (Don't need to explain the logic to the folks around here, you guys get it.)

Feel free to PM. (I have all the finances lined up for a local car. If you are out of the area, it could take a few days to sort out an out of area purchase.)

Thanks
Chuck

JoeBoomz
06-21-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm a fellow perfectionist; don't settle for less than what makes you happy! There are still perfect Marauders out there even though the car is almost 10 years old now!

Be aware that bumper sag isn't a unique issue; the gap between my driver side headlight and bumper is a bit larger than the passenger one. And I guarantee mine hasn't hit anything ;)

Traffic22
06-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Good to know about the bumper sag. I have done so much research about this car, I thought I knew most if not all the quirks. Good to learn about that.....

It is also nice to know there is a good community around these cars, because it gives me hope I will find a well taken care of vehicle. I am realistic, I totally understand most cars are no longer perfect, I get that. I don't need perfect, but have had bad luck so far seeing mostly disappointing cars.

....the search continues.

dohc324ci
06-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Good luck with your search and welcome to the site!

Traffic22
06-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Good luck with your search and welcome to the site!

Thanks for the well wishes. The people around here seem very helpful, while still a bit frustrated, certainly feel like there is hope.

MOTOWN
06-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Welcome to the madness!, theres plenty to choose from with so many up for sale lately, good luck with your search!

Panther
06-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Good Morning
Just keep looking and be patient and you'll find a good one out there. When I started looking I look at X cop cars. Did not see what I liked. Then went to a dealer and saw a MM03 with 102000 miles on it for $10000 looked bad in person. Then came up on my future car an 04 MM with 21500 miles on it it had all the bells and whistles on it that I wanted. At that point I had to convince my wife that we need this car. And that was hard but I am a happy camper. I pulled my 1965 GTO out of the garage and put it in the tent and put the PNTHR in the garage thad her new home. So just be patient there's one out there for you. 2969129692

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?golcdr
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Panther

SC Cheesehead
06-22-2012, 04:23 AM
:welcome1:

Have you checked out these threads?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80061

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=29209&endYear=2004&modelCode1=MARAUDER&startYear=2003&makeCode1=MERC&incremental=last_searched-1339560000000&searchRadius=300&maxPrice=11000&minPrice=1&listingId=324506437&Log=0

Spectragod
06-22-2012, 06:42 AM
That one on Autotrader looks pretty nice, if your looking for a bone stock never been modded example, it even has the valet key.

FWIW,I had to go to Florida to find my MM, I looked for several months, they were all junk or had "issues". I bit the bullet, after finding there was nothing local to me worth a hoot, 1200 miles each way, and I found a smoking example of a Marauder. I bought it off the board from a member, it had a tune, some aftermarket badging, speakers etc., and had 13k on it.

Paid more than book, and it was well worth it. I had good bones to start with, and did my "mods" from there. There are a lot of great cars posted in the FS section of this board, that is where I would recommend looking, if you don't limit yourself to price or distance, you will find what you are looking for.

Brad33
06-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Good luck. I got mine a couple weeks ago after looking for a month. It will be worth the wait.

IwantmyMMnow!
06-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Stick to your guns...don't settle for anything less than your expectations, unless it's relatively minor things (most interior parts are cheap and easy to replace). When you do find/buy YOUR MM, have EATC and LCM fixes done ASAP...several members on this website can do this for a small fraction of the cost compared to taking to dealership and having 'new', but same defective module(s) installed. I know of two members in my state that can do these fixes, but don't know of anyone on the west coast that can. Once you get these taken care of, the options for modifying are endless, so you can definately customize to your taste...I think this is what really makes our group extraordinary.

Expand your search...that's what I did when I couldn't find one within my price range close to my area. I ended up buying one in New Mexico (was living in Charleston, SC at the time). Flew out and drove it back. Was definitely worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Panther
06-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Stick to your guns...don't settle for anything less than your expectations, unless it's relatively minor things (most interior parts are cheap and easy to replace). When you do find/buy YOUR MM, have EATC and LCM fixes done ASAP...several members on this website can do this for a small fraction of the cost compared to taking to dealership and having 'new', but same defective module(s) installed. I know of two members in my state that can do these fixes, but don't know of anyone on the west coast that can. Once you get these taken care of, the options for modifying are endless, so you can definately customize to your taste...I think this is what really makes our group extraordinary.

Expand your search...that's what I did when I couldn't find one within my price range close to my area. I ended up buying one in New Mexico (was living in Charleston, SC at the time). Flew out and drove it back. Was definitely worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

This is PNTHR WHAT are EATC and LCM.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vcrc5b

IwantmyMMnow!
06-22-2012, 08:32 AM
This is PNTHR WHAT are EATC and LCM.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vcrc5b

You would be better off searching 'o-rings' and 'LCM' to get all of the correct information on these issues....I'm merely a messenger. In a nutshell, the o-rings on the EATC will go bad; replace with silicone o-rings. A relay on the LCM will go bad; replace with a beefier external relay. If you can do this yourself, you will spend less than $50 plus your time. If you can't do this yourself (like me), you can have another member do it for you and it'll probably be around $50-100.

Or you can take it to dealership and pay at least $1500 and still have the same issues...

Comin' in Hot
06-22-2012, 08:39 AM
I looked for almost a year before I found the blue I wanted, then I had to figure out how to get it home from San Diego.... when I think about it, I went out of state to get all three of the MMs I've had.

Traffic22
06-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I know about the LCM and EACT issues, and will certainly be high on my to do list once I find one. You are also right about having to expand my search area. I was hopinig to stay local, because my CU has a really good rate for in state cars, plus I can avoid shipping costs. With that said, I am begining to think there are much better cars out of the area.

The people around here have been really helpful, and I have actually been contacted by one member already. Really appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

dohc324ci
06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
If I was you I'd be looking at this SC Marauder. To be carb approved you would need to swap the long tubes out with a set of Stock manifolds and retune for Cali gas. Vortech is CARB approved for CA. I would recommend you have AEDHP.com perform the work.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77313

Panther
06-22-2012, 11:14 AM
You would be better off searching 'o-rings' and 'LCM' to get all of the correct information on these issues....I'm merely a messenger. In a nutshell, the o-rings on the EATC will go bad; replace with silicone o-rings. A relay on the LCM will go bad; replace with a beefier external relay. If you can do this yourself, you will spend less than $50 plus your time. If you can't do this yourself (like me), you can have another member do it for you and it'll probably be around $50-100.

Or you can take it to dealership and pay at least $1500 and still have the same issues...

At what miles would you look in to working on the EATC AND LCM. I am new to all this so any info would help. I am looking into a Warrenty from ford would this be covered under bumper to bumper.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?13hbsm

SC Cheesehead
06-22-2012, 11:27 AM
At what miles would you look in to working on the EATC AND LCM. I am new to all this so any info would help. I am looking into a Warrenty from ford would this be covered under bumper to bumper.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?13hbsm

If the EATC or LCM go bad under an extended warranty, and are replaced, they'll be replaced with in-kind units that will eventually fail again. Better off just sending the OEM units to fastblackmerc and let him upgrade them with superior components. Will cost you less than a $100, and he'll guarantee them for however long you own the car.

Marauderman
06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
If the EATC or LCM go bad under an extended warranty, and are replaced, they'll be replaced with in-kind units that will eventually fail again. Better off just sending the OEM units to fastblackmerc and let him upgrade them with superior components. Will cost you less than a $100, and he'll guarantee them for however long you own the car.

+a 100, is that possible.....???

SC Cheesehead
06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
+a 100, is that possible.....???

I think it is, if fbm does it... ;) -----> :D

Mest30
06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
I know I'm pretty far from you, but I have a nice, low mileage marauder for sale. My ad is in the for sale section. If interested, you could pm me your phone number and I can text you pics galore and answer any question you may have.

Traffic22
06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I know I'm pretty far from you, but I have a nice, low mileage marauder for sale. My ad is in the for sale section. If interested, you could pm me your phone number and I can text you pics galore and answer any question you may have.

Thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind. I am actually looking at a black 03 in Seattle that belongs to another member. It is undergoing inspection today, so I will have a better idea where I am at in the next few days. If it falls through we can talk.

88LTDCV351
06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the site. I've done the EATC so don't let it scare you.

Mest30
06-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind. I am actually looking at a black 03 in Seattle that belongs to another member. It is undergoing inspection today, so I will have a better idea where I am at in the next few days. If it falls through we can talk.

Sounds good. Good luck in your search.

Traffic22
06-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Don't want to Jinx it, but looks like the search may be over. Don't want to say too much till it is 100% but have a deal in place with another member here. Meeting him soon for final inspection and to pay...if all works out will disclose more later.

I do want to thank everyone here for their help, and the many multiple offers.

If the seller sees this...look forward to seeing you next week...been a fun ride so far! 👍

Ozark Marauder
06-30-2012, 06:49 AM
I was looking for mine for about the same time as you, then all of a sudden one showed up at a local car lot. Stock, 59,000 miles, and light flint interior too. Keep the faith.....:D

OZ

Curless
07-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Definitely stick to your guns, you'll find what you want. Not sure if anyone else is like this but I get a "feeling" when I see "the" car. Can't explain it its just there, you'll know when you see it. I got lucky to have a friend of the family own mine before me, for most of our cars (daily drivers or otherwise) we travel south of the "salt belt". That way we can buy an older car with some more miles but no rust. Its worth the wait!

Curless
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2004_Mercury_Marauder_15273916 8_13

Curless
07-03-2012, 01:20 PM
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2003_Mercury_Marauder_15385210 8_10

Curless
07-03-2012, 01:21 PM
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2003_Mercury_Marauder_15382725 8_18

Curless
07-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Just a few of em out there!

Traffic22
07-05-2012, 10:29 AM
It's official!! Got one...2003 300b with 45k miles. Bought it from a members here for what I believe was a fair deal for both of us.

Drove it 826 miles home Tuesday, passed CA smog today (woo hoo) off to DMV Monday.

Thank you to everyone for your help, input, and offers. Really appreciate all the good information.

Curless
07-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Congrats on the purchase!

dohc324ci
07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Nice now join the NorCal Marauders GTG! SFO United Airlines is always a good show. Congrats!

JoeBoomz
07-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Congratulations, and enjoy your new ride!

Mest30
07-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Congrats on your new purchase!

MOTOWN
07-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Congrats on your purchase, and enjoy bud!