PDA

View Full Version : Latest Kook's Header System Install

greyghost
02-16-2004, 03:45 PM
I bought Nick's Xmas special system back in December. I finally got it installed this last Saturday and had Grand Muffler, In Marietta, GA., to complete welding the rear of the muffler to the exhaust pipes. It is done and I have a few pearls to share and a few questions to ask.

Now for those not acquainted with the Marauder System that Nick sells it consist of the med length tube stainless steel headers with the O2 sensor bung installed, Cat pipes with O2 sensor bungs installed, Awesome custom X-Pipe, and Polished Stainless 18” Magnaflow mufflers.

I used all the notes that FordNut (Brian) had collected and added to. I had the access to a frame lift, pneumatic tools and all the other amenities of a complete shop.

The Lt. header (drivers side) wasn’t bad the worse was using the factory studs and retightening the nuts. I did have a Snap-On shorty ratcheting combination wrench that really helped a lot. Yes, I used the OEM gaskets. Mine MM is a 300B and the steering shaft was real close, about 1/16” clearance, upon completing the drivers side. We didn’t take off the wheel on the driver’s side or remove anything extra, pretty straightforward.

The Rt. header (passengers side) was the "Header from Hell”. It wasn’t that bad because we had all the proper tools. The Rt manifold came off easy enough. We removed the A/C comp, Rt wheel, and the soft flap in the fender well. Now, putting the header on the studs. We removed all the upper studs and shortened the #4 stud about ˝”. It was nice having the Snap-On stud removal/install kit. We took the starter completely out. We ended up loosening the eng. mts. and then unbolting the Rt eng mt from the block and were able to install the header and tightening the nuts back on was easier on the left than it was on the right. That damn right side I must have cramped out my hand and or forearm at least six times.

Once the headers were installed the cats, x-pipe, and mufflers were a snap.

Total time 5.5 hrs.

Now, I am ordering some heat wrap for the Brake line on the driver’s side, fuel lines on the passenger side, transmission shift cable, and possibly a blanket for the starter.

I will see what the “Southern Marauders” think of the sound and performance this Saturday at the monthly breakfast. Brian has his finished also. So, we can compare all the moded MMs.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Petrograde
02-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info! :up: I'm seriously planning on going with this set up. One thing though,... you mentioned welding the rear of the muffler to the pipes.... I thought this new kit required no welding,... hmmm,.. was I mistaken?

Thanks!

Tom

greyghost
02-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info! :up: I'm seriously planning on going with this set up. One thing though,... you mentioned welding the rear of the muffler to the pipes.... I thought this new kit required no welding,... hmmm,.. was I mistaken?

Thanks!

Tom
Talk to Nick at Kooks. I had to weld the pipes to the mufflers there was no other way.

But, it's worth it!

Logan
02-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Grey, pretty much a mirror of the install on my car, the passenger side sucked. :)

greyghost
02-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Grey, pretty much a mirror of the install on my car, the passenger side sucked. :)
Big Time!!

I give a great big award to those that did it at home in the driveway with only jack stands.

Man, I got to get me a lift in the next year.

cyclone03
02-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Big Time!!

I give a great big award to those that did it at home in the driveway with only jack stands.

Man, I got to get me a lift in the next year.

I did it! :banana2:

What do I get? :rock:

BTW has anybody but me noticed the around town milage dropping with the headers?

Petrograde
02-16-2004, 06:54 PM
BTW has anybody but me noticed the around town milage dropping with the headers?

hmmm,... does it have anything to do with making use of the 20+ HP they provide? :lol:

Tom

nick filippides
02-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Cyclone03, The mileage decrease is in direct proportion to increased throttle application.... if you get my drift. All reports with this header and exhaust system showed a slight increase in mileage. Please check it again and let me know. Thanks Nick "Kook's Headers"

BillyGman
02-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Yeah, my mileage slightly decreased at first fo the first two tank fulls of gas, and after that it actually increased. So now my mileage is slightly better than it was w/out the headers. I think it's always going to fluctuate a little bit from one tankfull to another. there's a number of factors that have an effect on that. So it's always best to average out the gas mileage readings over the course of five tankfulls of gas. Who knows, maybe even the car's computer makes some adjustments due to the decreased back pressure in the exhaust after the first couple tanks of gas??? Just a guess on my part.

greyghost
02-17-2004, 05:49 PM
I did it! :banana2:

What do I get? :rock:

My admiration, and if you make it to Indy I will buy you a beer or your favorite drink.

cyclone03
02-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Cyclone03, The mileage decrease is in direct proportion to increased throttle application.... if you get my drift. All reports with this header and exhaust system showed a slight increase in mileage. Please check it again and let me know. Thanks Nick "Kook's Headers"
Nick as MOST of my driving during the week is below 50mph the loss of low end really show up.
And even driving easy I lost a solid 1mpg.(15.9 from 16.8)
I haven't road trip it yet with the system installed so I don't have good highway milage yet.

Combined mileage is down too again about 1mpg,16.9-17.5 range from 17.9-18 range.

But mat the throttle and it's all good!
It's IS making more power,and it IS moving more air so,yes it eats more fuel.

Drive it softly and the MPG stays good,but EVERY time you mat it you'll use more fuel than before the header install!And the milage proves it.

BTW I'm not *****ing about it.

SergntMac
02-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Who knows, maybe even the car's computer makes some adjustments due to the decreased back pressure in the exhaust after the first couple tanks of gas??? Just a guess on my part.
But a right guess, Billy. There is a "learning" function in the ECM that "averages" your performance. This can be programmed "off," with the right software, or, you clear it by disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes. Nonetheless, as you drive on, the the old settings in memory are eventually overwiitten with fresh data.