PDA

View Full Version : Reinhart or Kooks exhaust system?

tmac1337
02-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Members, I'm considering swapping out my stock exhaust system and would like some suggestions on what to use. I see that a few of you have used Kooks. Has anybody used Reinhart's system? How does it compare with Kooks? For those of you with the Kooks exhaust and magnaflow mufflers, how loud is the exhaust note now? Do you recognize a significant RWHP gain, justifying the expense? Thanks for any input.

BillyGman
02-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Uh ho, here we go again...........I hope you're not opening up a can of worms here w/that question. I'll try to answer your question as diplomatically as possible. First, let me say that no matter what people say about how their cars sounds, there's no way that you'll be able to realize the actual sound until you hear it for yourself.

Secondly, many people on here have the Kook's exhaust (including myself, and others that you'll see have posted on the Kooks forum of this board), and many people have the Reinhart's system too. I believe that everyone w/either of those systems will tell you that they luv them. So puleeeeez let's not make this a "which is better?" thread, okay? We've been there and done that more than once and it got hairy!!! You'll never get everyone to agree on one system being better than the other. Infact, the only thing I'm even gonna tell you in this post about the Kook's exhaust is that I luv it, and the car sounds so great w/the Magnaflow straight-thru mufflers, that I get guys of ages from 14 yrs old to 60 yrs old saying it sounds great, and indeed it does.And it has made the car faster (both top end, and low end power increases).

Weather it would be too loud for you, well, there's no way that you can determine that over the internet. But I will say that I too was worried about it being too loud, but it's just right for me. And unlike some performance mufflers, these mufflers do NOT cause crackling or popping noises right after you let off of a full open throttle blast.

The Kook's headers are more difficult to install as are most long tube headers. Atleast in theory, there is a reason why the extra work involved would pay off, but I'm not going to get into that here. The Reinhart exhaust is easier to install up in the front since it consists of re-worked exhaust manifolds or shorty headers instead of long tube headers like the Kooks. However, to my knowledge, the rest of the Kooks exhaust system (hi-flow cats, muffler pipe, X-pipe, and mufflers) are just as easy to install, or maybe even a bit easier. All I do know for sure about that is the Kooks exhaust is a complete bolt-on system from the engine to the beginning of the tailpipes. there is no bending required, and the only welding would need to be where the mufflers join the stock tailpipes.

MERCMAN
02-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Uh ho, here we go again...........I hope you're not opening up a can of worms here w/that question. I'll try to answer your question as diplomatically as possible. Fist, let me say that no matter what people say about how their cars sound, there's no way that you'll be able to realize the actual sound until you hear it for yourself.

Secondly, many people on here have the Kook's exhaust (including myself, and others that you'll see have posted on the Kooks forum of this board), and many people have the Reinhart's system too. I beleieve that everyone w/either of those systems will tell you that they luv them. So puleeeeez let's not make this a "which is better?" yhread, okay? We've been there and done that more than once and it got hairy!!! You'll never get everyone to agree on one system being better than the other. Infact, the only thing I'm even gonna tell you in this post about the Kook's exhaust is that I luv it, and the car sounds so great w/the Magnaflow straight-thru mufflers, that I get guys of ages from 14 yrs old to 60 yrs old saying it sounds great, and indeed it does.

Weather it would be too loud for you, well, there's no way that you can determine that over the internet. but I will say that I too was worried about it being too loud, but it's just right for me. And unlike some perfoprmance mufflers, these mufflers do NOT cause crackling or popping noises right after you lety off of a full open throttle blast.

The Kook's headers are more difficult to install as are most long tube headers. Atleast in theory, there is a reason why the extra work involved would pay off, but I'm not going to get into that here. The Reinhart exhaust is easier to install up in the front since it consists of re-worked exhaust manifolds or shorty headers instead of long tube headers like the Kooks. However, to my knowledge, the rest of the Kooks exhaust system (hi-flow cats, muffler pipe, X-pipe, and mufflers) are just as easy to install, or maybe even a bit easier. All I do know for sure about that is the Kooks exhaust is a complete bolt-on system from the engine to the beginning of the tailpipes. there is no bending required, and the only welding would need to be where the mufflers join the stock tailpipes.

Very diplomatic!! As Richard Dawson used to say,,, GOOD ANSWER :bounce: :bounce:

sailsmen
02-18-2004, 01:31 PM
I currently don't have either system. I have seen and heard the Reinhart Shorty Headers and they sounded good.

You are really talking about 2 different types of systems in that the Kooks are mid/long length headers and the Reinhart Cobra are port matched exhaust manifolds.

Both systems have high flow cats and an X pipe. Both systems change the sound, most would say for the better. Both systems siginificantly improve HP/TQ.

Both are quality systems.

It's like asking whats better a strip steak or a ribeye steak. Comes more down to personal preference.

FYI, Sergnt Mac wrote on his own exp with the Reinhart Cobra http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=103945#post10 3945 and Fordnut wrote on his exp with the Kooks http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7770

GarageMahal
02-18-2004, 01:41 PM
It's like asking whats better a strip steak or a ribeye steak. Comes more down to personal preference.
Good analogy. Now I'm hungry :baaa:

tmac1337
02-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks for taking the time write this up!
Uh ho, here we go again...........I hope you're not opening up a can of worms here w/that question. I'll try to answer your question as diplomatically as possible. Fist, let me say that no matter what people say about how their cars sound, there's no way that you'll be able to realize the actual sound until you hear it for yourself.

Secondly, many people on here have the Kook's exhaust (including myself, and others that you'll see have posted on the Kooks forum of this board), and many people have the Reinhart's system too. I beleieve that everyone w/either of those systems will tell you that they luv them. So puleeeeez let's not make this a "which is better?" yhread, okay? We've been there and done that more than once and it got hairy!!! You'll never get everyone to agree on one system being better than the other. Infact, the only thing I'm even gonna tell you in this post about the Kook's exhaust is that I luv it, and the car sounds so great w/the Magnaflow straight-thru mufflers, that I get guys of ages from 14 yrs old to 60 yrs old saying it sounds great, and indeed it does.

Weather it would be too loud for you, well, there's no way that you can determine that over the internet. but I will say that I too was worried about it being too loud, but it's just right for me. And unlike some perfoprmance mufflers, these mufflers do NOT cause crackling or popping noises right after you lety off of a full open throttle blast.

TAF
02-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Well said Billy!

I think the key here is, it's not a matter of one performing over the other in terms of HP & TQ gains...cause the KOOKs, Cobra Manifolds & the Shorties are all right at the same #s on the Dyno. Variances come in what you do after the X-pipe with the tubing and the mufflers.

I have the SVO Shorties and could not be happier with the performance gains OR the looks of them. They were my personal "flavor of choice".

So...pick a "flavor"...and I'll guarantee you one thing...you'll LOVE the power, performance and sound of your car even more than you thought. :up:

Logan
02-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Ditto... ;)

Petrograde
02-18-2004, 06:11 PM
I'll try to answer your question as diplomatically as possible..

Well done Billy!

When I saw the name of this thread,.. I thought to myself,...UH-OH! Here we go again!

Tom

SergntMac
02-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Ditto... ;)
Yeah, what he said. maybe this will help you decide?

Alphabetically, "Dennis" comes before "Kook's."
"Kook's" comes before "Reinhart."
"Cobra" comes before all of them.
"Manifold" and "Magnaflow" are stuck somewhere in between,
but both fall in behind "headers."

Maybe you should consider choosing your exhaust system by the area code of the vendor you'll be calling to place an order?

No? Okay, well, how about their zip code?

Oh well, I tried. Pick what you want, "it's all good."

Gawd...I hate that expression! I can't believe I used it here.

Ummm...What engine oil do YOU think is best?

(now running for cover...INCOMMING!)

kurly
02-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Double Ditto! :)

kurly
02-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Ummm...What engine oil do YOU think is best?

(now running for cover...INCOMMING!)

Sarge, you never did give me any advice on the oil deal! :(

jfclancy
02-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Both are quality systems.

FYI, Sergnt Mac wrote on his own exp with the Reinhart Cobra http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=103945#post10 3945 and Fordnut wrote on his exp with the Kooks http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7770[/QUOTE]

errr I will have a Porterhouse thank You! Have heard Logons his is louder than stock But sounds Mighty good to me. I have replaced the Tips on mine and it sounds "louder" Than Logans no HP or tq gain just Noise but I like it. so it all goes to personal prefferance.

Joe Clancy :banana2: :banana2:

Agent M79
02-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Whew! I'm exhausted...[cough]

CRUZTAKER
02-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Well atleast he's no longer baffled.:baaa:

tmac1337
02-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks Todd for your reply, I guess Im going to go with Dennis. He's done my other mods and is in driving distance. We did not discuss the mufflers but from what I have been reading it seems I need to go all the way back. Wish I could afford the S/C. - Tim

Well said Billy!

I think the key here is, it's not a matter of one performing over the other in terms of HP & TQ gains...cause the KOOKs, Cobra Manifolds & the Shorties are all right at the same #s on the Dyno. Variances come in what you do after the X-pipe with the tubing and the mufflers.

I have the SVO Shorties and could not be happier with the performance gains OR the looks of them. They were my personal "flavor of choice".

So...pick a "flavor"...and I'll guarantee you one thing...you'll LOVE the power, performance and sound of your car even more than you thought. :up:

SergntMac
02-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Sarge, you never did give me any advice on the oil deal! :(
Really? Sorry kurly, my bad.

My "best oil" is clean oil. I change my oil and filter every 2K, rain or shine.

Because it's this often, I use the cheapest 5W20 oil I can find, and that's at my dealer's service/parts department.

I drive in every 2K, toss Jim my keys, and go for a smoke outdoors.

I may stroll across the sales floor to whisper with John Hayes about sales numbers, but I always come back to smile with the (lovely and really hot tall readhead) cashier while I pay my bill before I head home.

2000 miles, 20 minutes, twenty bucks...And one sweet smile back from this redhead.

2X2X2X,+smile, works for me.

Y'all need more than this, find a dealer with a brunette, K?